Start by marking “The Broken Council (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Broken Council (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)

The Broken Council (The Guardian Chronicles #1)

Kishi felt her body temperature rising even though the spring morning was quite cool. Her temper was always just under the surface these days, and she was growing weary of being told what to do and how to think. Today that would all change, and nothing would ever be the same. She would do what she wanted regardless of what her sister chose to do. Her father, the king, woul ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 276 pages
Published December 21st 2012 by Steven R. Burke (first published December 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Council, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Council

Gary Burke
Jan 16, 2013 Gary Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked from the very start. This book was worth every penny. I've been disappointed with my last few book purchases, but The Broken Council was worth it.

You open the story with a twist right from the start. You meet a man named General Yukio who is one of my favorite characters in the story. He is a man you can tell holds great power but you don't even fully realize how much until the story evolves.

You will find many of the races typical to a fantasy story, but with for me more style and p
Mark
Feb 24, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
I initially purchased this book to be supportive of the author, whom I happen to work with, and was surprised with how well the book flowed and the vision of the world that was imagined. The author does well to create an inviting story built with intrigue. Though the typical fantasy character exist such as elves, humans, and such, there is just enough twists and new vision to bring a compelling story to life. Fantastic effort to this new author and the book definitely sets you up for wanting mor ...more
Joseph Mitchell
Jul 05, 2011 Joseph Mitchell rated it really liked it
I recieved this book from First Reads at goodreads.com. This is a very fast paced book with an interesting plot line. I very much enjoyed how the author set up the opposing viewpoint to create the story. I also enjoyed the different roles that this series but each of the races in.
Gary Burke
Aug 10, 2012 Gary Burke rated it it was amazing

Chakravarthy
Dec 22, 2011 Chakravarthy rated it it was amazing
The narration is very gripping! The built up to the war is well written. The phrase, "There is no such thing as a nice or polite war" sounds ominous, but anyone who followed or read about any war from past or present would realize how true this statement is. The portrayal of treachery and manipulation is realistic and out of the world! Though the setting is fantasy, IMHO, story and narration could have been anywhere in time and space! Different levels at which the story unfolds is quite beautifu ...more
Doug
Feb 15, 2013 Doug rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best series that I have ever read in fact this is my second time reading through the series. I'm finding it more enjoyable reading it this time than I did the first time I read it. The story surrounds many larger than life characters that possess power beyond what you find in most fantasy writings. The action is intense and fast paced, but paced in a way that you see the inner struggles of the main characters. Definitely worth the purchase and I can't wait to get to book 3!!!!
Angie
Dec 31, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from First Reads at goodreads.com. I really enjoyed reading this book, it is not the typical book I read but I liked it... I enjoyed this epic tale of magic, betrayal, survival, greed, and revenge.... this book is action packed... I am looking forward to following this story and cant wait to get my hands on the next one to see what happens with the characters and the plot....
Kevine Thompson
Nov 02, 2012 Kevine Thompson rated it it was amazing
This book was a thrill to read! It is fast paced but entertaining I suggest you all read this book
Kristina Franken
Sep 04, 2012 Kristina Franken rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
mirba
Nov 13, 2014 mirba rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, dropped, one-star
some kind of d&d fantasy book that I didn't feel attracted to.
Bri
Dec 20, 2010 Bri rated it it was ok
I've recieved this book through a Goodreads book giveaway. This review is for the use of publisheres should they decide to use it.

First off: Before reading this book I had finish reading The Fisherman's Children triolgy. Two books amounting to about 500-600 pages each. Those books, and the other books that I have been reading lately spend a great deal of time building the world and the characters. My view of this Broken Council is influenced by that being my normal reading material.

The idea of B
Meej
Jul 12, 2013 Meej rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-finished
I was expecting a good read (no pun intended) but this was pretty horrible. The writing level is that of a child/adolescent. Everything was stated as is. She is _. Her _ is _. Sooo boring and childish, no beautiful prose. You know, usually you are lulled by the writing.
SPOILER (small one) Also, they make a big deal at the very beginning about their "plan." And it just ends up being him intruding on the meeting. And the description of the intrusion was like bam he's here. That's it. It was so in
Lynette
Nov 30, 2011 Lynette rated it did not like it
I like to think I'm an open-minded person and can read just about anything. I don't think that anymore. I generally like sci-fi-fantasy books. Not this one. This book started out choppy and introduced a ton of characters early on. It was disjointed and confusing from the beginning. Then, it slowly smoothed out and I thought, maybe this will turn out good afterall. But, no. He is good at writing about battle strategy and war planning but not very good at character development or plot planning. I ...more
Rosey
Sep 13, 2011 Rosey rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
The story took a while to get into - a lot of characters were introduced quickly, so there was a lot of explanation before the real story could start. The exposition was a little choppy at first, but by the end, it started to gel. The author's strong suit is definitely writing battle/ strategy scenes - those were engrossing and I almost wished those took up more of the book. Looking forward to the second book to see how it ends up.

Note: I received a copy of this book through GoodRead's Giveaway
Susan
Mar 31, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok
I received this book as a give away through Goodreads. (Please keep in mind when reading this review that this is not my normal choice of genre).

On the plus side it kept me absorbed all the way through. I have the second instalment on my bedside table and will read it in due course.

On the negative side - it could have done with some further proof reading prior to printing.
Ioana
May 03, 2012 Ioana rated it did not like it
I wish I could give it 0 stars. Gave up after heroically plowing through one third of the book. This guy needs to take some serious writing classes...
Lord Nouda
May 30, 2012 Lord Nouda marked it as to-read
Erm...it's a free ebook?
Stacy
Jan 15, 2011 Stacy rated it did not like it
My niece got this book free and then gave it to me because she didn't like it. I guess I will give it a try, it was free.
Dec 29, 2010 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads-wins
yay!!! happy new year to me...lol...i cant wait to get this book and start reading it...thanks so much goodreads!!!!
CK
CK rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Amanda B
Amanda B rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2011
Folashade
Folashade rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Tanya
Tanya rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2015
Priyanka Vaswani
Priyanka Vaswani rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2011
Jake Struckle
Jake Struckle rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Niklas Bitton
Niklas Bitton rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Ari Zelanko
Ari Zelanko rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2010
Tim Williams
Tim Williams rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Steven R. Burke B...: Who is the hidden assassin? 1 4 Aug 08, 2011 07:49PM
  • Emerald (World of Samar #1)
  • The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #0.5)
  • Swirls (Outsiders #1)
  • Bloodmaiden
  • A Dragon's Awakening (The Chronicles of Kale, #1)
  • Dante's Journey
  • Progeny (The Children of the White Lions, #1)
  • Annexed (The Refuge Trilogy, #1)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Dragon Mound (Knight in Shadow, #1)
  • The Cypher (Guardians Inc. #1)
  • A Beacon of Hope (The Sixth World of Men, #1)
  • Legends Reborn
  • ShadowShifter: Book One (ShadowShifter Series 1)
  • The Silence of Lir (Saga of the Spheres #1)
  • Son of Ereubus (Guardians of Legend, #1)
  • Fezariu's Epiphany (The Elencheran Chronicles #1)
  • Prophecy of the Flame
Growing up in a little town in the great northwest, Steve learned to enjoy the outdoors and all that nature had to offer. The beauty surrounding his home town of Colville Washington inspired his world of Tuwa. Every character in his novels was inspired by characteristics from people he either knew or behavior he observed. His magic is only limited by a person’s capacity and creativity. For over a ...more
More about Steven R. Burke...

The Guardian Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Fallen Guardian (The Guardian Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dark Tide (The Guardian Chronicles, #3)