3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  414 ratings  ·  65 reviews
William and Harry is a fascinating insight into the lives and loves of two extraordinary young men who have captured not only the hearts and minds of the British public but those the world over. This is the definitive book about the princes, bringing their story right up to date. It is the tale of two brothers who have carried the legacy of their mother, Diana, Princess of...more
Published (first published July 12th 2010)

Tamara
One of my favourite passages in this book, and one which I read aloud to just about anyone who would listen, dealt with the wedding of Prince Charles to Camilla, and featured a series of headlines on the topic from newspapers around the world. It featured that of the New York Post, which read, "QUEEN TO SKIP CHUCK NUPS." I laughed, out loud.

Well, if this book had a New York Post headline - because, to be honest, most of it feels like a Post article, or like it belongs between glossy pages with t...more
Rachel
WHAT. Don't judge. I was on vacation. Also, I borrowed this from the library, so it's not like I spent $ on it.

This selection is right up there with another lapse in judgment I made years ago, when I chose to read Oprah's Unauthorized Biography. Random facts from that still jump in my mind from time to time, as I'm sure this will also.

Whilst reading this in Australia, on the way to an airport, my husband inquired as to my kindle literature selection. He had to drag a confession out of me. When I...more
Kay
I'm not sure why I even picked this book up at the library--- except when I get down in my stack of library books I meander over to the bio section and find one. Usually it's on sports star, actor, or even a politician. This time I grabbed this book even though my interest in the Royal family is pretty low.

The book was a quick read for a bio but what surprised me the very most is almost everything in this book I had read in the headlines of the papers [I rarely read the articles to keep up!!!]....more
Kirei
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It was just mindless brain candy about a couple of poor little rich boys. I haven't been keeping up with them over the years, yet most of the stories seemed vaguely familiar. But it was fun.

It probably should not be called "Behind the palace walls" since they rarely seemed to be in a palace. Much of their youth was spent in boarding school, and their adulthood spent partying (although according to this book they do have demanding careers....)

Ellie Revert
Sort of embarrassed that I read this, but then again I have another to read about the bride-to-be. Overwhelmed by the amount of drinking at such early ages by all the young people.
Jeffry
Interesting book, although it felt a little like reading People magazine. I'd love to hear their side of the story.
RNOCEAN
*WILLIAM & HARRY: BEHIND PALACE WALLS* by Katie Nicholl

"Beginning with the birth of the elder William in 1982, the author covers all the major events of the princes' lives up to the present. She mostly colors in their childhood with the idiosyncrasies of their mother, the late Diana: her quest to deviate from royal tradition, giving birth in a hospital and hiring young nannies, and her eschewing her sovereign kin, preferring to shop, watch soaps and gab on the telephone. The media's chronic...more
Bookworm1858
William and Harry: Behind the Palace Walls by Katie Nicholl
Weinstein Books, 2010
308 pages
British Books Challenge
3/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: An insider's look at Princes William and Harry as written by royal reporter for the Mail on Sunday Katie Nicholl.

I know I'm an American but I've been fascinated with the modern British royals, partly due to my mom's love of Diana and I'm so excited for the royal wedding which incidentally automatically dates this book. When Nicholl's published it, the e...more
Jan
Okay!! I confess. I am a royal watcher and I've read the newspaper articles and the magazine articles about the "royals" with great interest over the years. I wasn't impressed with this author at first as what she shared about the William and Harry, as toddlers, I had read, years ago.And there are no pictures in this book that I haven't seen before.. However,as I got into the book,and the boys moved into their teens,and then their 20's, the information shared by the author increased and I learne...more
Maria
The only reason I read this book was the fact that while my boyfriend was using my Kindle, he accidentally bought this book. And when I found out, it was too late to cancel the order. So, what I did was to make him pay for it. I didn't want this book.

Anyway, my review. Right.

Almost everyone in Britain know about the Daily Mail and how unreal it is. Katie Nicholl, in case you're not aware of it, is one of the royal reporters. BUT she's not like any royal reporter —she's the only royal reporter (D...more
Gabrielle Mae
William and Harry is a fascinating insight into the lives and loves of two extraordinary young men who have captured not only the hearts and minds of not only the British public, but those the world over. This is the definitive book about the princes, bringing their story right up to date. It is the tale of two brothers who have carried the legacy of their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, into the twenty-first century and on whom the future of the House of Windsor largely depends.
Drawing on her...more
Samantha
It's true, I'm a royal watcher. No, a royal obsessor would be more like it! In getting ready for April 29, 2011, I read everything royal I could get my hands on. And I mean everything. I may have even picked up a Star Magazine to read about Kate's secret love child. (oh, the shame! LOL!) Anyway, this book told the exact same stories and gossip as all of the others of the genre. The drinking, the girls, the rumors about Harry and Charles relationship and will Her Royal Majesty Elizabeth II skip o...more
Cathy
Jan 23, 2012 Cathy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: gift from Roy and Garth
Shelves: biography, royalty
Very informative and enjoyable book about Princes William and Harry of Great Britain. The author seemed to know what she was writing about; it was a serious look at their lives, not a tabloid scandal sheet version of missteps and embarrassments. I especially liked hearing how close they are to their father and how loving and supportive of them he really is. The public doesn't generally see the softer side of Prince Charles and I'm glad to know that the princes were always told and shown love fro...more
Cynthia
Yes, I am one of those tasteless people who read the magazines at the grocery store checkout lines whenever the royals appear on the cover. This book is a good compilation of all those articles, all in one place - mmmm good. I came out feeling both envious of the two boys and terribly sorry for their lack of privacy. The book makes it pretty clear that William is playing a delaying game for as long as possible before being completely sucked into the "job" of being a royal with all the daily assi...more
Charnie
This is was my kindle choice for a recent trip. It was exactly the type of fluff I was seeking for a 10+ hour plane trip. For years I've been fascinated by British royality. How a family that in any other setting would be very ordinary people, just by an accident of birth are the most recognized royal family ever. I've read about all of them going back to Queen Victoria.

Unfortunately, this book was published before William married Kate Middleton. Had it been updated, it would have probably been...more
Bree
Although Nicholls didn't follow a strict chronology, she did paint an interesting portrait of the young and adult princes, including a lot of the media flack they've received for their activities and choices. An interesting book that didn't pass judgement, and gave an in-depth view of their lifestyles and especially their military. Overall, it was a fairly sympathetic portrait of the princes, but included the criticism they've faced.

The only thing that took me out the book was when Nicholls inse...more
Pinky
Had to go back over this after starting The Making of a Royal Romance by Katie Nicholl, not realizing they were essentially the same book, just revised and expanded (new photographs?). I haven't noticed any other significant revisions. A clear, even-handed portrait of what it is like for young royals trying to live a normal life. I really like both William and Harry Wales and their girlfriends Kate and Chelsea. V. amusing descriptions of the Glossy Posse's nightclub antics and drinking preferenc...more
Written by the Sunday Mail's "royal correspondent," this biography of the princes seems geared toward an American audience: rife with explanations of things like gap years and the British school system. In England, where Harry and Wills are better loved than any princes since the Plantagenets, the public has read everything in this book hundreds of times. If you've kept up with news stories about the royal family at all, don't bother with it.

c
Karen S
So maybe I am a little starstruck....

These boys are truly trying to live normal lives and trying to find their place. Of course, "normal" is a relative term and with the majority of the book focused on their school years--prep school and university--, they do spend quite a lot of time engaged in college frat boy behaviors. But, I sense a maturity in both of them as they come of age and come to terms with being the "heir and the spare".
Jason
Rehash of familiar tabloid coverage, with just enough behind-the-scenes thrown in to make it sightly interesting. It does do a fairly decent job of conveying the Princes desire to be as "normal" as possible, which of course is laughable because we "normals" wouldn't mind being as "royal" as possible, would we? Overall, the book is an easy read, just glad I didn't pay for it.
Michelle BF
Good insight into Diana's boys and the influences on their life. I appreciated the balanced view of Diana. Their life choices are interesting as they work to find purpose in their life when the bigger decisions are already made.

Garci
As a royal watcher, it was a fascinating look at how the brothers have matured over the years. They appear to have maintained a good balance of living relatively normally and being very important members of "the firm." I especially enjoyed references to their grandmother, the Queen. Their mum would be so proud of them, I'm sure.
AmblingBooks
Katie Nicholl's weekly Mail on Sunday diary is renowned for breaking royal stories. Now the columnist charts the lives of Princes William and Harry in her explosive debut book.

Listen to William and Harry on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Elizabette
Like many folks, I keep up with the latest online celebrity/royal news, so I thought this book would be enjoyable. But, I found it quite banal and poorly written. Nicholl is a newspaper reporter-- she should stick to that. This book was a poor attempt to cash in on her mediocre amounts of "insider information."
Shawna
This goes into the lives of the princes without feeling too much like a tabloid. If you're curious about the princes, this is a good way to learn a few new things, while reading about some old news. Some of the old news is clarified and given more depth than what we've heard.
Phoebe
Entertaining if somewhat cheesy in places. Seemed pretty balanced, with plenty of "dirt" on both boys. Their livers must be pickled with all the drinking they do. It made me feel old, since I remember clearly when William was born. Recommended to all Royals fans.
Vivian
May 20, 2011 Vivian rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those curious about the Princes
Shelves: e-pub-format
It was an OK read. It was easier to read this than to follow a few year's worth of "Hello" magazine or the "National Enquirer". If you like gossip about the Royals, this is for you. I didn't know a thing about the lads before. Maybe I've learned too much now.
Jan Polep
I was more interested in the boys life from college on and it turns out I read most of that part of this book in Vanity Fair...so no surprises here. If I have time, I'll back up and read the first half of the book but I think my interest is waning.
Barb
Listened to this book. Somewhat interesting but nothing very new. Disappointed to find out just how hard they party and drink. Story was somewhat disjointed. Tried to be chronological but would jump back several years to cover something else.
JoAnn Jordan
This is a fine book on the lives of Prince William and Prince Harry. The royal history included is very well written. Overall this is a very interesting read.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the British royals.
  • Begin Again: A Biography of John Cage
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
  • The Gates of November
  • The Sinatra Files: The Secret FBI Dossier
  • Mary Tudor: Princess, Bastard, Queen
  • Catherine the Great
  • Mob Star: The Story of John Gotti
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • The Lodger Shakespeare: His Life on Silver Street
  • Keith Haring Journals
  • Henry: Virtuous Prince
  • The Real Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II
Kate: The Future Queen The Making of a Royal Romance: William, Kate, and Harry--A Look Behind the Palace Walls The Making of a Royal Romance