Start by marking “The Coming of the Fairies - Illustrated” as Want to Read:
The Coming of the Fairies - Illustrated

The Coming of the Fairies - Illustrated

This is some of the background material for popular modern fantasies like, “True Blood.”

"The series of incidents set forth in this little volume represent either the most elaborate and ingenious hoax every played upon the public, or else they constitute an event in human history which may in the future appear to have been epoch-making in its character. It is hard for the
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 11th 2010 by Dreamz-Work Productions, LLC (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming of the Fairies - Illustrated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming of the Fairies - Illustrated

Once upon a time, the man who created the world’s most famous consulting detective had his leg pulled by two young women. In the days before Photoshop, the young ladies took pictures of fairies. They posed with the fairies. They claimed to see the fairies quite often.
Of course, the fairies were pasted pictures. You look at this photographs today, and part of you wonders how people could be so gullible. Yet, we have famous fake pictures today as well. Do you really think the reporter is always i
Sep 02, 2008 Lucas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The series of incidents set forth in this little volume represent either the most elaborate and ingenious hoax ever played upon the public, or else they constitute an event in human history which may in the future appear to have been epoch-making in its character."

If somebody ever asks me what my favorite opening sentence in a book is, I think I will refer them to the above.

When I cracked open this book I expected to have a nice, tongue-in-cheek read of one man's defense of a few fake photogr
Timothy Ferguson
This is, in some ways, a terribly sad book. Conan Doyle turned to spiritualism to help him deal with the vast wave of senseless death which had ravaged his family. His views made him, and I hope not to offend any spiritualists reading, terribly gullible, because the way spiritualists demonstrated the veracity of their claims was so poor. Conan Doyle does not realise how credulous he is.

At one point, toward the end of Chapter One, he explains how the investigation of the Cottingley fairy photogra
The first half was interesting but the second one was like a constant Blah Blah Blah.
Oct 18, 2013 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: factual, 2013
"If you believe in fairies, clap your hands...

In this short book, Conan Doyle tells the story of the famous 'Cottingley Fairies' – 5 photographs taken over a three-year period purporting to show fairies and gnomes sporting in a valley in Yorkshire. The photos were taken by two young girls, but it was only when Conan Doyle got his hands on them that they became a cause célèbre.

By the time the first photos surfaced in 1917, Conan Doyle had already become a firm supporter of spiritualism and, whil
Cathrine Bonham
The reason for looking up and reading this obscure piece of history is because the recent rediscovery of a very cute movie titled: Fairy Tale: a true story. This short book is the nonfiction account of the events dramatized in the aforementioned movie. The events being the infamous Cottingly Fairy photographs.

The actual photos as reprinted by Doyle do appear rather fake to my modern eye. It is also a problem that Doyle's only argument in favor of the photo's depicting real fairies is that the g
Bill FromPA
Oct 24, 2014 Bill FromPA rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I read The Coming of the Fairies to try to answer for myself the question of how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle could bring himself to believe in fairies.

Since the book is not well-known I’ll first give a summary of its contents.

This is a relatively short book (196 pages) containing the 5 “fairy photographs” taken in 1917 and 1920 in Cottingley, Yorkshire by Elsie Wright (age 16 in 1917) and Frances Griffiths (age 10 in 1917), as well as additional photographs taken in the same area. Though the book is
Jaseena AL
Jun 23, 2015 Jaseena AL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even if this was later found out to be a hoax i would like to believe that fairies exist Hahah ;)
Bill Wehrmacher
The Coming of Fairies is an interesting book. I was, of course, very familiar with the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, which I enjoy very much. My daughter got me a compilation of a couple dozen of those stories exactly as they were printed in the news papers of the day.

The Coming of Fairies is nothing like those. I guess I was vaguely aware in Doyle's belief in spiritualism, which was not unusual for that time in history. I was also peripherally aware of the photos of fairies to which this book refe
Michael Burnam-Fink
The sad coda to Arthur Conan Doyle’s great career was his belief in spiritualism. The man responsible for the famous line “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth,” spent his final years clinging to every impossibility that he found. This book is his account of Cottingley Fairies incident, including his article in The Strand Magazine, and the work of Doyle and his partner Edward Gardner in investigating the claims.

As a primary source, it’s
Feb 15, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a fan of Conan Doyle's fiction and having read previous accounts of the Cottingley fairies within various 'mysteries of the world' type books, I was both eager and wary to read 'The Coming of the Fairies'.

Thankfully, I was spared the second-hand embarrassment I thought I was going to endure. This slim volume is delightful despite the more recent revelations that have proven so many of the theories and ideas contained within inaccurate (the original Cottingley photographs were debunked as
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
It's hard to go into this book without already feeling like you'll be reading rubbish. I am not a cynic, nor am I totally closed to the possibility of such phenomena. But the fact that the young girls later in life admitted to faking the photographs that inspired Doyle to write this is impossible to ignore. Even without this knowledge, the discerning reader can find enough in the text to cause plenty of head shaking and wincing.
Early in the book, Doyle quotes a correspondent who almost stumbles
Mar 18, 2016 Rachael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Oh, the poor delusional man. He really believes it.

The writing is rather dry and repetitive. Unfortunately for Doyle, pounding the same point over and over doesn't actually make it true; if it did, fairies would have taken over Yorkshire by now.

I'm not convinced of his investigative abilities, as he relies entirely on the testimony of others. And while I'm willing to believe the expert photographers who asserted that the plates were taken in a single exposure, and therefore are not faked by a tr
Richard Ward
May 28, 2015 Richard Ward rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who believe that fairies are real.
Bought The Complete Works Of Arthur Conan Doyle for my Kindle for $0.99. Otherwise, I doubt I would have ever heard of this book, much less read it. It's one of the most bizarre and pointless books I've ever read. It's non-fiction, weirdest of all! Two English sisters claimed that they had photos of the fairies that they played with often in the woods. Some people assumed the photos to be a hoax! But Arthur Conan Doyle knew better! So he wrote this book to convince the skeptics, and to teach abo ...more
Jennifer W
Jul 15, 2011 Jennifer W rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: byt-1900-1940
I find it hard to believe that the same man who created Sherlock Holmes, a character of the utmost ability to deduce conclusions logically could also believe in fairies. My favorite part was where he scoffingly pointed out that there was no such thing as fairy rings, those had to be created by fungus spreading out, but if the fairies happened to use them afterward, well, that was OK. Really? i wonder if I would have liked this better if I hadn't already known that the girls later fessed up to fa ...more
Weird, enchanting little book about the notorious "Cottingley Fairies" hoax of the early 20th century: two little girls who took photographs of one another with what they claimed were real "fairies," but turned out, of course, to be the result of double-exposure and drawings cut from books. Before the big unmasking, though, Robert Louis Stevenson was one of the girls' biggest defenders -- hence this book, which assays to set down their entrancing little myth as history.
Mary Bronson
I read this book because I loved the movie Fairy Tale: A True Story. When I found out that Arthur Doyle wrtoe a book about it I just had to have it. I am not saying it is a bad bookn but it was kind of slow for me. I kept drifting away into different thought from time to time. I did like the chapter about the discriptipns of the different fairies. Also liked the photos that were through out the book.
Holy shit! Arthur Conan Doyle is fucking crazy!
The guy who created Sherlock Holmes spends a couple hundred pages explaining fairies, firmly believing he is on the cusp of the world's largest scientific breakthrough. He does this through equal measures of pulling information straight out of his ass, and painstakingly transcribes accounts be people who would later admit they were liars, with pants afire.
A difficult book to read, mostly to be enjoyed ironically.
2.5 stars. A little boring and sometimes hard to follow. I paid more and purchased an actual book because I thought the photos would be better than on my kindle. The photos in this book are horrible. Better off getting the cheaper kindle version and then finding the photographs on the web. They are much clearer there.
Aug 29, 2012 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro me gusta mucho, que está raro y todo sí, pero tomando en cuenta que Doyle le entró al espiritismo por aquellas épocas, ya no está tan raro.
Me gusta que por un par de capítulos parece que las niñas de verdad están convencidas de haber visto hadas reales, de que no fue un sueño ni su imaginación ni un engaño ni nada. Te da un momento de magia.
Dec 07, 2011 Andie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The material in the book is interesting although sometimes it just seemed like I was reading a mini-textbook (I think I was). Yet, it was interesting to know so much about fairies since I like them. Also, it is interesting to see how this man of reason who created Sherlock Holmes once believed in fairies.
I had heard about these photos of fairies that existed. Conan Doyle documents his search into their validity in this weird little book which is a series of letters from those involved. I was unable to finish because I had to return the book to the library I borrowed it from, but quite interesting.
Mar 20, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
It is difficult to rate this book. The conclusions are rubbish. However from a historical standpoint the arguments are vital. One cannot fault Doyle's gullibility as much then as now. I thoroughly enjoyed this book for a great fantasy read and a good laugh. Five Stars!
Mar 03, 2015 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
at times it TV got hard to read. read somewhere on the net saying it was a hoax and the enthusiasm to continue read waned. still id like to think. . .maybe its the kid in me
Steff Daza
Jun 04, 2016 Steff Daza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Misteriosas fotografías, dos niñas inocentes, un afamado escritor y su investigación. No puedes evitar preguntarte cuál es la realidad.
Jun 03, 2011 Ivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting exploration of the existence of fairies by none other than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (who was a true believer).
Monica rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2014
Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Fairies in Tradition and Literature
  • Fairies: Real Encounters With Little People
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • The Science of Fairy Tales: an Enquiry Into Fairy Mythology
  • Edith Piaf: The Wheel of Fortune: The Official Autobiography
  • The Tree Of Enchantment: Ancient Wisdom and Magic Practices of the Faery Tradition
  • Irish Fairy Tales
  • Nazi Terror: The Gestapo, Jews, and Ordinary Germans
  • The Welsh Fairy Book
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
  • The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
  • The Heart of Faerie Oracle - Book & Tarot Cards
  • A Little Learning
  • The House of Mitford
  • A Complete Guide to Faeries & Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People
  • The Secret Commonwealth: An Essay of the Nature and Actions of the Subterranean (and, for the Most Part) Invisible People, Heretofore Going under the Name of Elves, Fauns, and Fairies
  • Two Histories of England
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...