Start by marking “The King's Witch” as Want to Read:
The King's Witch

The King's Witch

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Of the women in King Richard's life, she is the least known-and the most powerful.

During the Third Crusade, deaths from fever and starvation are common, but King Richard the Lion-Hearted has a secret ally against these impassable enemies-a mysterious healer by the name of Edythe.

She was sent to him by his mother Eleanor, and Richard first assumes that Edythe is a spy.
Published June 7th 2011 by Berkley (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Witch

Matched by Ally CondieEmerald Green by Kerstin GierTattered Heart by Annie JacksonWither by Lauren DeStefanoPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Green from the Thickest Forest
76th out of 203 books — 135 voters
Lionheart by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Lute Player by Norah LoftsThe Troubadour's Song by David BoyleBerengaria by Ann TrindadeRichard I by John Gillingham
Books about Berengaria of Navarre
14th out of 15 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Kit Perriman
Cecelia Holland's The King's Witch (New York: Berkley, 2011) is a historical novel set during the Third Crusade to take Jerusalem, around 1191. Edythe - a young Jewish woman pretending to be Christian - is dispatched by Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine to inform on her children, Richard the Lionheart and his sister Johanna. Edythe has inherited a little folk-healing skill from her physician father, and using her knowledge of herbs and potions she manages to save the king's life when he contracts a dan ...more
Babel
De los varios géneros que me apasionan, me gustaría destacar los libros que combinan historia, búsqueda espiritual y romance. LA BRUJA DEL REY, de Cecelia Holland, es un ejemplo soberbio de estas cualidades. Una auténtica galera de sucesos que surca el mar de la historia a toda vela.

Aclaraciones: ¿es todo historia? ¿hay brujería a mansalva?
No, ni vamos a estudiar fechas de texto ni veremos brujas volar en escobas.

En una balanza temática, tenemos los grandes hechos históricos, las batallas, las
Bookaholics
The King’s Witch by Cecelia Holland
Historical Romance- June 7th, 2011
3 1/2 stars

Edythe has a terrible secret. As she tags along with Johanna, the Queen of Cyprus, and King Richard (Johanna’s brother), she is under the orders of the Queen Mother, Eleanor, to spy on her children. When they all reach Acre, Edythe find herself consumed by a longing to discover her heritage. But then, Richard contracts a fever. Edythe heals him with her knowledge of herbs. Because of this, Richard brings her along in
Melanie
I reviewed this book for Romance Reader At Heart website.

RRAH's THOUGHTS AND PONDERINGS:

Edythe, our heroine, was chosen by Queen Eleanor to follow her children, Richard and his sister Johanna, on the Crusade to Jerusalem. As a healer, she saves Richard's life when he comes down with a fever. From that point on, the whispers start that she's a witch. Rouquin is Richard's bastard cousin and the object of Edythe's affections.

Never having read this author before, I went in blindly into the story, p
 ♥ Antonella♥
Cecelia Holland's The King's Witch is set during the Third Crusade. The story is told mostly from the the points of view of four characters:Richard the Lionheart; his sister Johanna,the former Queen of Sicily; Philip de Rançun,a close relation of the King (the story will show just how close); and of course Edythe, our main protagonist.

As the novel opens we are introduced to Edythe,a female doctor who keeps her real identity a secret from everyone. Edythe is a secret Jew and after her family was
Terri Pray
I wanted to enjoy this book but instead if left me with a 'blah' feeling. I couldn't connect with the characters and it didn't draw me in the way many historical novels do.

It wasn't that this is a bad book, or the author lacked skill, it's just that it didn't work for me. I was able to finish the book and I'll give the author another try, but there were just no memorable moments for me in The King's Witch. Nothing that dragged me in...

Set during the Third Crusade Edythe (not her real name) is s
This review was originally posted on my blog at: http://lauragerold.blogspot.com/2011/...

Richard the Lionheart is a legend of the twelfth century. To us in the 21st century, he is an epic warrior king that we probably most often hear of in the Robin Hood legend as the King who is off fighting in the Crusades while his evil brother, Prince John, plots against him. The King’s Witch tells the story of what exactly happened during the crusades while England was left in the clutches of Prince John.

Ed
Kathy
The King's Witch isn't a bad book, but it's not one I'd go out of my way to read again, either. The story is set during the reign of Richard I (Lionheart) and his Crusade. The main character is Eadyth, the "king's witch", so called because she has knowledge of herbs and medicines, and took care of the king when he was stricken with fever.

While sections of the story were interesting, for the most part I found it bland and passive, with too much time spent bouncing around subplots involving secon
Nicole Fletcher
I wasn't blown away by this book but considering that I read it in a week, a feat I haven't completed in years, it wasn't all bad. The novel is set during the true events of Richard the Lionheart's (aka. Richard I) Crusade, or the Third Crusade which took place in the 1100s. The research done for the battles is good however the personal details are entirely fictionalized (obviously). Two of the main characters, Edyth and Rouquin are entirely made up. All in all I'm not very knowledgeable about K ...more
Svea
Nov 19, 2011 Svea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
In her latest novel, The Kings's Witch, Cecilia Holland does a fabulous job of bringing to life the trials and destruction created during the battles of Richard the Lionheart's Third Crusade. It's not often I find a novel where the Crusades are the main setting, instead it is merely mentioned as a an event occurring far away from England, so I thoroughly enjoyed Cecilia's representation of this tumultuous time. Another aspect I appreciated while reading this novel was learning more about the key ...more
Gail
Jul 27, 2011 Gail rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: e-book, done-reading
The story was very fast moving, and very interesting, the Crusade was really thought out when written and I learned much, much more about it than I did know.. King Richard the Lionhearted is also written about quite abit. The research that went into this book was awsome. I learned so much about this time. the witch (as some physicians were called) had quite a story too.
I don't want to give to much away. But I will say READ THIS BOOK I THINK YOU WILL ENJOY IT. I look forward to reading more by C
Norman Howe
Science-Fiction
Sara Gould
En La bruja del rey encontraréis una historia que es una gozada: batallas, búsqueda de uno mismo, un poco de amor, política… en definitiva, una trama intensa y que se disfruta al 100%. Y sin embargo, cae un poco por unos personajes con los que cuesta conectar y un ritmo un tanto lento hasta cierta parte del libro. Aun así, muy recomendable.

Reseña completa: http://geckobooks.blogspot.com.es/201...
Wraith Tate
Ugh. I'm glad to be done with this one. Normally, this is an era of history that I'd be greatly interested in, but I found many of the characters to be rather difficult to connect with. Even Richard Lionheart, a fascinating historical character in his own right, fell rather flat. I had to force myself to push on to the end.
Siobhan
This book never took off for me. The characters seemed wooden, and I found myself not really caring what happened to anyone. I read about half, then skimmed to the end. If you are interested in reading a novel set during the Crusades, there are better ones.
Tiffany
Meticulously researched, but failed miserably in execution. I'd get to a part I could enjoy, slip into it, and then feel my brain jar as the narrative hopped around wildly ... not an incredibly pleasant reading experience.
Bill
Pretty good - historical fiction about the Crusades. The heroine is a servant that learns many of the arts of medicine and becomes King Richard (the Lionheart)'s personnel physician.
TJ
Great history, so-so story.

For a complete review, vista Affaire de Coeur magazine, hard copy or online athttp://affairedecoeur.com/ - June 2011 issue.
Patricia Bracewell
I never felt I was in the heroine's skin -- I wanted to know more about what she thought, felt, believed. The writer, though, knows her history.
Dianne Hobden
Richard the Lionheart and the Crusades told from the viewpoint of a serving woman to Richard's sister Johanna. Good history.
Katrina Bergherm
Very disappointing in comparison to the Game of Thrones series. Didn't portray the time period very well.
Susan
I am sucker for any book about Richard 111 and read everything by Cecelia Holland!
Amber
total torture!
Kathleen Ann Bergen
Kathleen Ann Bergen marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
John
John is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2015
Mia McInnis
Mia McInnis is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Jane Demas
Jane Demas marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
  • The Shield of Three Lions (Alix of Wanthwaite, #1)
  • A Stolen Tongue
  • The Angel of Blythe Hall: A Historical Novel
  • Mary of Carisbrooke: The Girl Who Would Not Betray Her King
  • To Be Queen: A Novel of the Early Life of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Lady of the Roses: A Novel of the Wars of the Roses
  • The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga, #3)
  • Harlot Queen
  • The Borgia Mistress (The Poisoner Mysteries, #3)
  • Out of the Dawn Light (Aelf Fen, #1)
  • The Rebel Princess (Alais Capet, #2)
  • Reign of Madness
  • The Lion Wakes (Kingdom Series, #1)
  • The Madonna of the Almonds
Pen name used by Elizabeth Eliot Carter
More about Cecelia Holland...
Lincoln's Little Girl Great Maria The Secret Eleanor Floating Worlds Blood on the Tracks