Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)

Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  536 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"When a mysterious alien spacecraft approaches the Earth and demands to speak with the President of the United States, then destroys a large Pacific island to demonstrate its strength and its seriousness, you'd expect the President to talk. Problem is, in the late twenty-first century, there is no President--not even a United States. China rules the Americas, and to most p...more
Published May 1st 1985 by Random House Inc. (NYC) (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Black Star Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Star Rising

Anila
We were driving from the Great Sand Dunes to Mesa Verde, my family and I, and I was in a royal funk. Partly this was because I hadn't slept well the night before. Partly it was because the Sand Dunes, damn them, had been windy and so walking near them, let alone climbing them, was made painful by blowing sand. Partly it was because I was on a road trip instead of home with my friends, and I was a high school graduate heading off to another state for college and who knew how hard it would be to s...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Frederik Pohl's Black Star Rising
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 8, 2014

This was a JOY to read.. or a HOOT.. or something.. Although.., actually, it sortof petered out by the end & was a bit of a disappointment. Still (moving), all in all (n'at), I had fun reading this. It's in the genre of a-culture-not-currently-dominating a-particular-nation becomes THE-culture-dominating a-particular-nation. Other examples of this genre being Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Cast...more
Chris Gager
Rescued from the Transfer station trailer. Pohl is one of the "Old Guard" of Sci-Fi writers I remember from the 50's and 60's. I need a break after "Gilead". Time to lighten up, literature-wise. Tonight... I finished this one yesterday while the snow flew outside. What a mess out there now. Rain and sleet on top of 7" of wet snow - ICK! I've already shoveled a bunch of it and I'm not done yet. Anyway... this book is a reliably entertaining and kind of wacky tale. Some interesting science, sex an...more
Matt Gibson
Black Star Rising's basic premise of a future in which mutually-assured destruction has come true, leading the Chinese to "rescue"/invade the USA is interesting and a good background to a story.

However, I found things to go downhill from this promising beginning, as the book leaned more and more towards both fantasy and lots of content that I'm guessing would mean a lot more to an American than to me. Add to that a lack of character development and a mess of threads that never really seemed to g...more
Robert
Starting out like as a really good novel and ended like a bad movie. I was surprised when I turned the page and instead of a resolution to the buildup, there was the "About the Author" paragraph. Feels unfinished.
Russell
An interesting read. Drags from time to time; conclusion is almost anti-climactic.
Clayton Yuen
A historical scifi novel written in the rhetoric of the times, Black Star Rising starts off with a bang. It has a great premise that developed slowly (as with many of the old scifi books), but lingers. I loved the story and the oddly interesting characters, but the lingering was a problem.

I suppose with all the fast, slam-bam stories available to us these moderns days, you have to just relax and enjoy this good read for what it is worth . . . 4 stars!
Darren
Someone left this in the marina lounge. I read just about anything science fiction, and I read the Heechee saga when I was a kid so I picked it up. Kind of a juvenile premise, golden age science fiction stuff. Kind of felt like he wasn't trying very hard to write anything good. Probably should have left it in the lounge.
J.M. Slowik
Thought-provoking, predictive sci-fi from late in the cold war, 1985. Nice handling of multiple perspectives, definitely memorable characters.

I learned while reading this that Frederik Pohl also lives in a Chicago suburb. And that he's 92, and still writing!
Kadja Draenor
For such a funny sounding book, it ended up being a rather heavy handed political comentary. To top it off, the ending really didn't solve the conflict. All in all, not a book I would recommend.
Jim
Pohl is usually pretty good. The book was terrible. I kept waiting for it to be done. When it was...I asked why in the world did I read it. A waste of time.
Christina Rundle
I find myself wanting to put in more hours reading than writing. It's difficult putting the book down. Side Affect: It's made me crave Chinese food all week.
Geneva
Good classic science fiction and a hell of a lot of fun to read.
Erik Graff
Oct 04, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pohl fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Clever and amusing science fiction tale by Frederik Pohl.
Barbara Girard
Oct 01, 2012 Barbara Girard marked it as to-read
Titre français: Le trou noir
Justin Van Winkle
Justin Van Winkle marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Wendy Harper
Wendy Harper marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Iulian Dumitru
Iulian Dumitru marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • Special Deliverance
  • Heavy Time (Company Wars, #4)
  • The Crucible of Time
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • Earthclan
  • Child of Fortune
  • Coils
  • At Winter's End
  • Heart of the Comet
  • A Call to Arms (The Damned, #1)
  • The Legion of Space
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Convergent Series
  • The Exile Waiting
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3) Man Plus