Start by marking “Sweet and Vicious” as Want to Read:
Sweet and Vicious

Sweet and Vicious

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  42 reviews
“Fascinating and hilarious,” “relentlessly clever,” and “truly haunting” are all phrases that have been used to describe David Schickler’s unique talent. And all apply to this brash, brilliant novel featuring two of the most memorable characters in contemporary fiction: Grace McGlone and Henry Dante.

Sexy and willful, Grace McGlone is saving herself for the right man. When
Published August 30th 2005 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet and Vicious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet and Vicious

Mark
David Schickler's short story collection, Kissing in Manhattan , is one of the best collections of short stories I've read in ages. Understandably, then, I was expecting a lot from Schickler's first novel.

Aside from the longish (50-page) second chapter, which, with a few tweaks, could have easily worked as a great stand-alone short story, the rest of Sweet and Vicious was thoroughly disappointing. In the acknowledgments Schickler thanks his film agent, and I'm not surprised--because the book re
Jodi
This book was loaned to me by a friend with the words "one of my favorite books" attached to it. I started it and put it down, and picked it up and put it down. I had it sitting on my bookshelf for an amount of time that isn't socially acceptable. I finally picked it up and told myself that I couldn't read anything else until I could give it back to my friend and honestly tell her I had finished it. In the 2 weeks since that happened, I cleaned my carpets, scrubbed the bathrooms until they shine ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is a book I wouldn't normally choose on my own but I stumbled across an unabridged audio version at the library and it caught my attention.

It tells the story of a mob enforcer named Henry who has a weakness for beautiful women. That weakness is his downfall when it lands him on the run with a suitcase full of stolen diamonds called "The Planets". Then the book takes an entirely different turn and actually felt like a different book when the author jumps back into the past and introduces a
Amy L. Campbell
Quite a bit of violence, sexual and regular. Some very strange stuff going on in this novel. Basic plot revolves around some stolen diamonds, the man who stole him, and the woman he randomly hooks up with. It's not bad, but when all is said and done, there's just not a lot going on in this novel. It's a quick and fun read, so if you need something between two serious novels or a break between semesters it would be a good choice. On the other hand, there's no real reason to seek this out.

The revi
Fredrika
ugh. the ending. just, ugh. ruined.
Amy
Nov 09, 2007 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No
Shelves: shelve-it
Silly & not well written. Pass.
Ron Grunberg
It's been a few years since his last publication, I've read both David's books at least twice, and am somewhat impatiently waiting for his next. He's a bright young writer of enormous talent. He takes every word--every sentence--as a great challenge. He doesn't want to be mediocre for one moment. He demands his prose is infused with--here's a word he might use--the stupendous.

Each of his characters are remarkable. On the one hand they seem absurd caricatures but on the other, many are presented
Mike
I can't remember how I was tipped off to David Schickler. Maybe I'd read a story of his in a magazine. At any rate, the reviews for this novel weren't great so I worried that I should have got his short stories first, but I really enjoyed it. It reads like modern noir with a quirky twist... like a Quentin Tarantino (when he made good films [film?]) collaboration with Wes Anderson (when he made good films, haha).

The only criticism, which I'm not sure is a criticism, is there are certain plot ele
Shalyn
This is a poorly written tale with a cast of characters that includes incompetent gangster wannabes, immoral evangelists, and a handful of socially and morally misguided others who are largely forgettable, and the ending leaves you wondering why you even bothered picking up the book in the first place. The best thing about this book is the cover art. I'll be tossing my copy into a recycling bin -- it's not even worth giving away. So disappointed.
Azura
I think the beginning part focusing on the male main character was really good, and then it changed to the woman main character as a girl, and it started to change the whole feel of the book.... Though there were some parts I liked about it... but I was set on the book being focused on the first main character introduced and the story from his perspective. The background informative story of the men the main male character deals with on a regular basis, added to the depth of the story in a way t ...more
Aurora
Nov 13, 2010 Aurora added it
alcuni libri iniziano a metà, altri a metà non reggono un ottimo inizio.
ed è un peccato perché dolci e viziosi era proprio partito bene, molto fisico, molto concreto, tangibile. ma poi va in vacca o per la fretta di concludere o perché anche il sistema solare, si sa, è un universo finito. e dai diamanti non nasce niente, eccosìvvia.
insomma si poteva fare di più.
(si salva l’edizione della collana “i coralli” di cui mi piace molto la porosità della copertina e il taglio del carattere di stampa. pe
Ryan
I first taste in a long time of modern literature; to me this was not a bad read but definitely one to be read thoughtfully and with a open mind to motifs.
Christine
I didn't know what shelf to put this on. It almost fits in the fluff category. S. returns again to jewelry, or more specifically the stones, as a pivotal "character" for the action. His books almost feel like fairy tales for adults. It's what extraordinary people would do in normal circumstances, for good and for bad.

I think like most readers, "Kissing in Manhattan" was soooo good, so engrossing that it overshadows this a bit. As a book from any other author it would be an achievement, but I thi
Lois Bouchard
I was blown away by this book. His use of the language, his vivid characters, his taste for the absurd made the book fun and startling. I listened to this one on cd. I really enjoyed it. It was incredibly funny in parts and tragically sad in other parts. It was a book that couldn't be real in any way, but I so much wanted it to be real. I guess everything in it, characters, settings and plot were larger than life. Isn't that what we want when we read fiction?
Spencer
Quirky characters and a fateful plot. This book was well organized and not a letter or phrase was wasted. A short book, but the character arcs and plot points were well placed, well paced, and significant. Concise and engaging.

Although I'm not sure the author truly knew its Midwestern setting, it didn't seem out of place. I think its setting contributed to the audience's relating to the characters.

Good stuff.
Clarissa
I loved David Schickler's first book Kissing in Manhattan. This book is very different in style and format but enjoyable. It took me several starts before I truly got down to reading this book, as it took awhile to get into the flow. This book is written almost like and adult fairy tale and the ending is as predictable as the next chapter but the writing style keeps you going.
Sara
I'd previously read "Kissing in Manhattan" and got this book based on that. "Sweet and Vicious" is incredibly engaging. I could hardly put it down. I loved the way that the narratives were all interwoven and how the point of view kept changing. Most of the time, that would be distracting, but it worked well here. Deeply satisfying and highly reccommended.
Dottie
Sophomore book so one would think it better than the first -- but I found this one more uneven and though it was still good reading, it's definitely not my favorite of his. To prove the point I recall little of it while the first is etched in memory and calls to be reread.
Brian Sobolak
There were parts about this book that really frustrated me -- it felt to short? -- but I pretty much read the whole thing on a bender of reading over 2 days. It was, sweet and vicious, and the magical imagery he conjures in my neck of the woods was fabulous.
John Newman
Sweet and Vicious was a quick and entertaining read. It has a Quintin Tarantino feel to it. Fast paced with over the top characters and lots of graphic violence. It's a story where the good guys are really bad guys, just not as bad as the bad guys.
Steve
A tasty slice of midwestern lovers-on-the-run romance. Reminds me of Denis Johnson's "Angels" (though I read THAT so long ago I could be way off base with that impression) and Bonnie and Clyde.
Luis Maggi
Definitivamente mantiene la escencia de Kissing in Manhattan, caracteres fuera de lo comun pero a la vez mas reales que cualquier novela y una trama que te mantiene a la expectativa
Lindsay
Great read! I randomly picked up this book at the library, and it turned out to be an awesome book. Really fast, quick read, but really enjoyable.
Nik
A weird mix of a believable tale with interesting characters and the script of a odd B-Movie. It was a quick read, some surprising moments.
Andria alefhi
I Loved kissing in manhattan. I looked forward to his follow up novel, and couldn't read past 40 pages before accepting that it really sucked.
Heather
This book was, simply put, hot. The plot fell to some cliches, but it was delicously graphic and I couldn't put it down.
Saundra
I really liked this strange little book. It was light reading and a bit silly but the characters were likable and unique.
Clara Givens
OK read... easy going and could be read in a couple of hours, not too complicated a story line, but still fun to read :0)
Tracy
"Kissing in Manhattan" is the superior Schickler book - but this is a rollicking good time - heists and oddness abound.
Kendra
Pretty good read, recommended by Ben. Some interesting plot twists I definitely wasn't expecting.
  • Juno & Juliet
  • The Nightspinners
  • The Reunion
  • Having a Lovely Time
  • Chasing Justice: My Story of Freeing Myself After Two Decades on Death Row for a Crime I Didn't Commit
  • Gravity / Bloodstream
  • Winslow in Love
  • Cannibal Killers: The Real Life Flesh Eaters and Blood Drinkers (True Crime)
  • Cheat and Charmer: A Novel
  • The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The Mammoth Book of True Crime
  • The Llama Parlour
  • The Girl in Alfred Hitchcock's Shower
  • The Hollywood Book of Death: The Bizarre, Often Sordid, Passings of More than 125 American Movie and TV Idols: The Bizarre, Often Sordid, Passings of Over 125 American Movie and TV Idols
  • Song of Sorcery (Argonian #1)
  • Fiona Range
  • Vintage Didion
  • A Sickness in the Family
David Schickler (born July 30, 1969 in Rochester, New York) is an American author and screenwriter. He is the co-creator and an executive producer of the new Cinemax television series Banshee, premiering in 2013.

See: Wikipedia
More about David Schickler...
Kissing in Manhattan The Dark Path: A Memoir Lots of Laughs! Vol. 18 (Selected Shorts Series) The Smoker Banshee: Extended Edition