Start by marking “Lesley Castle” as Want to Read:
Lesley Castle

Lesley Castle

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  29 reviews
This inspired novella, with its outrageous cast of superficial characters, brilliantly showcases Jane Austen's comic genius. Presented here with A History of England and Catharine. As Miss Margaret Lesley and Miss Charlotte Lutterell divulge their innermost secrets through a series of letters, each reveals where her true priorities lie—if a bridegroom is fatally wounded t
Kindle Edition
Published June 14th 2010 by SmartBookWorms (first published 1793)

To ask other readers questions about Lesley Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lesley Castle

Miriam
HA. I LOLed. LedOL. Whatever.

Melodrama, made even more hilarious by understatement. And zingy one-liners!

"We are handsome my dear Charlotte, very handsome and the greatest of our Perfections is, we are entirely insensible of them ourselves."

"During our visit, the Weather being remarkably bad, and our party particularly stupid, she was so good as to conceive a violent partiality for me"

"The elegant address of Mr Cleveland, his polished Manners and Delightful Bow, at once confirmed my attachment.
Kelly
damnit. I'll never produce anything of merit if jane did this at sixteen.
Daiva
AS usual with unfinished works... I just wish there was more...
Austensibly
So you think you are a writer. Read this slim volume and weep. This is Jane Austen's teenage oeuvre. I read this on occasion, when I think I need to come to my senses (or sensibilities). It is delightful to boot.
Sio
A somewhat amusing set of short tales from the fabulous Jane Austen. The last story, Catherine, though seemed to end somewhat abruptly with no appearance of resolution.
Amanda
This one wasn't too memorable, but I was in love with the wording.
Three stars for style, and it wasn't terrible ever either.
Karen
Jane Austin wrote Lesley Castle when she was just 16 but she never finished it. I think she wrote herself into a corner and didn't yet have enough experience to write herself out of it. Or maybe she just lost interest. Regardless, it is a fine book. The characters are drawn a little broadly. They are over the top with superficialness and they are hilarious. Lesley Castle is a series of letters discussing concerns of divorce, adultery, remarriage and elopement.
The book opens with the sudden death
Bridget
This is actually three titles: Lesley Castle The History of England, and,Catherine, or the Bower. They were written by Jane Austen when she was a young girl of sixteen. And I would suggest that you get a copy of this if you like Jane Austen at all.

The first is a novella, Lesley Castle, which is a series of letters, primarily between Miss Margaret Lesley and Miss Charlotte Lutterell. They are friends who do not get to see each other very often, and are comparing notes on what goes on in each of t
Faiza Sattar
A short, engaging read. Quite enjoyed the portrait of the Lesley sisters by Lady Lesley herself.

"Matilda and Margaret Lesley are two great, tall, out of the way, over-grown, girls, just of a proper size to inhabit a Castle almost as large in comparison as themselves. I wish my dear Charlotte that you could but behold these Scotch giants."

The acerbic witticism of this incomplete story has impelled me to read other epistolary writings by Austen.
Natalie
These two short novellas Lesley Castle and Catherine (or the bower) were humorous and enjoyable to pick up and read. At first it was confusing to read an epistolary style between several correspondents and keep track of everyone, but once I did I liked how Austen made astute observations and played the characters' words against each other to show the humor in human relationships and social norms/politeness that sometimes borders on the absurd. I also enjoyed the forward in this edition because i ...more
Reylan Garcia
Teen Austen has presented history in a manner more comical than her usual quips. Truly, her youth together with her uninhibited and courageous views allows her to scribble down the best word combos. I could not stop laughing at letter exchanges - lighthearted and naive Facebook private messages of the Regency Era.
Eileen
This is probably the most developed of the Jane Austen juvenilia, and so clearly worth reading. It's still a little long-winded in comparison with later, developed work, but no surprises there. I am also very glad she ultimately got away from epistolary form. I mean, it's not like we're reading Evelina here (guh!) but letters are just not as interesting as present action.

3 parts: Lesley Castle, the History of England, and Catharine, or The Bower. I read them in order 3, 1, 2. The History of Eng
Ebster Davis
Its a series of letters documenting the correspondence between several rediculous people, poking fun at how silly and callous people can be.

Some people:

Care more about "What's going to happen to all the food I made now that the wedding is cancelled?" than the fact that their sister's fiance (the bridegroom) got in a terrible accident and is brain dead.

Marry when they should have just stayed friends.

Obsess over guys who are not into them in the slightest.

The beginning says it's an "incomple
Irene
Reading something wrote by Jane Austen is always an entertaining experience. Moreover, this time, I've been surprised by "Lesley Castle".

Even if it is an unfinished novel and it's an epistolary story, it's more mature and then other early writings. For instance, "Sir Charles Grandison" is quite pointless if you don't know the author, her story and her background.

On the contrary, "Lesley Castle" is funny and easy to read, it's full of double-face female characters and some of their letters are qu
Captmashpea
Its part of her juvenilia series but it was not as funny as "Love and Freindship" and it ended really fast - I am going to have to go back and reread the ending to see if I missed something.
(audiobook).
Ana Rînceanu
Lesley Castle is a step by step guide on how young ladies of the 18th Century ought to flatter and throw shade. The History of England makes it clear young Austen was a fan of Mary, Queen of Scotts, Joan of Arc and Anne Boleyn and was perfectly at ease with describing herself to be “a partial, prejudiced, and ignorant historian”. Catharine is a great start to a novel and, despite being unfinished, has great interesting characters, Catherine herself being independent and honest, while Edwards app ...more
Hilary
Jan 05, 2011 Hilary rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Jane Austen
This is a compilation of two unfinished novels (Lesley Castle and The Bower) and Biographies of the Kings and Queens of England, written by the young Jane Austen. It was interesting to see how witty she made her characters, even when she was an unpolished teenager. The biographies just tickled my funny bone, seeing teenage prejudice and allegiance shining through the historical facts. A fast read, but as the novels were unfinished, I didn't enjoy this as much as her other books.
Jen
The only unsatisfying thing about this collection of early writings by Jane Austen is that the final story remains unfinished. "The Bower" (or Catharine) was a tale with potential, and some very astute observations about relationships. "Lesley Castle" is a complete work as it stands, however the epistolary nature of the story was much more clearly worked out in the later novel "Lady Susan."
Megumi
Aunque son sus primeros escritos, la esencia que impregna las obras de Jane Austen ya está presente en ellos. Es sobresaliente su Historia de Inglaterra, salpicada de su ingeniosa ironía, donde repasa el reinado de varios reyes ingleses con su visión particular y, como dice ella, "parcial y prejuiciosa". Ha sido un placer volver a leer algo de una de mis autoras favoritas ^^
Jamie
I don't really like epistolatory novels, and this one is incomplete! There were another couple of short, incomplete works by Austen in this edition as well: a brief, illustrated history of English royalty and a novella. I did enjoy getting a brief glimpse of Austen's early potential, though.
Paula
Me he reido mucho con estos relatos cortos tan ingenuos de la Austen, cómo a las mujeres de las que habla les trae al pairo el amor, sólo quieren cazar a un hombre rico y de posición, tanto les da que sea uno que otro. Pero es que ellos si no son iguales, son peores que ellas XD
marmarci
Me he reído mucho con algunas de las historietas de la joven Austen. Por otro lado, es frustrante quedarte a medias con las que están sin terminar. ¡Ay, Austen!
nikki
jane austen isn't necessarily known for her sense of humor, but these three stories definitely highlight it. the subtle (and not-so-subtle) sarcasm is fantastic!!
Kellie
Jane Austen's juvenilia (did I spell that correctly?) Includes A History of England and a couple unfinished stories. Even so young she was still superb.
Lupurk
Un libricino davvero divertente...come al solito la nostra Jane non delude!

Per altri commenti:
Caroline Beatle
Salvo las historias (inacabadas) de Las tres hermanas y El castillo de Lesley, los relatos son bastante irrelevantes, aunque graciosos.
Anne
This was sweet and different and unexpected. For Jane Austin fans looking for a quick fix, this was fun. She wrote it when she was 18.
Eirion
Raccolta di macchiette. Forse pure troppo.
Relaynie
Jane Austen,Juvenilia
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
  • The Moorland Cottage
  • A Memoir of Jane Austen and Other Family Recollections
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Great Writers on Why We Read Jane Austen
  • Emma
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders
  • A Walk with Jane Austen: A Journey into Adventure, Love, and Faith
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • Henry Tilney's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #6)
  • A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball
  • The Legacy of Cain
  • The Future Mrs. Darcy (Given Good Principles, #2)
  • A Portrait Of Jane Austen
  • Emma & Knightley: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Emma
  • The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men
  • Letters to Alice on First Reading Jane Austen
Jane Austen (16 December 1775 – 18 July 1817) was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fr
More about Jane Austen...
Pride and Prejudice Sense and Sensibility Emma Persuasion Mansfield Park