Blank-133x176
The Glamour

Christopher Priest

The Glamour

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  457 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Welcome to the world of the glamour.

The glamour is the unsuspected underworld to our normal lives, seductive and sinister, peopled by those who can never be seen. It exists on the edge of reality, full of doubt, behind a veil of invisibility.

But is the invisibility real, or is it merely a state of not being noticed?

This is the story of two young people who fall in love whi...more
Paperback, Large Print
Published by John Curley & Associates (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Glamour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glamour

Stephanie
This review originally appeared at www.readinasinglesitting.com.

When my husband and I returned from our honeymoon in Argentina, I set to work transferring our various pamphlets, maps, tickets and so on into an album. Daunted by the mound of material in front of me, I decided to put the album together in the simplest manner I could: by location, and then by theme. My husband, however, wanted to know why I hadn’t opted for a chronological approach. But it didn’t matter, I argued: we both know what...more
Fiona
This is how a really good plot twist works: you know, almost right from the start, that there's going to be a twist, and that you're going to be woefully underprepared for it. The author drops clues, doubles back on himself, invalidates previous clues and adds a few red herrings. About halfway in, you start to realise you've worked out what the twist is going to be - it's a clever one, most people won't get it, and you're not entirely certain yourself but if you're right, goddamnit, then it's go...more
Simon
I was really looking forward to this as Christopher Priest is yet to let me down. Pretty much everything I've read by him has been fantastic and this is no exception.

Again exploring themes common to Priest's other work; identity, memory and the human condition.

Written from a collection of narrative view points, some in first person, some in third person, Richard Grey is recovering from a car bomb attack both physically and mentally. He has no memory of the events in the few weeks leading up to t...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
News photographer Richard Grey is recovering from an accident that has caused severe damage to his body and left him with gaps in his recent memory. In hospital, a young woman named Susan Kewley meets him, claiming that they were in a relationship during the time that he has forgotten. He cannot remember, but is nonetheless drawn to her. Hypnotherapy unearths memories of his time with her, he is declared cured of his amnesia and physically on the mend. He leaves the hospital and returns to Londo...more
Kevin
If I could strike the entire last chapter and somehow force a new one I would. Until I reached it I was ready to give this a solid five stars and then ... blup. A nasty wet soft slap of ... I don't know what. I'll give Priest the benefit of the doubt and assume that this was his intended ending all along but it sure did feel like he wrote himself into a corner and gave up.

But still! Everything leading up to that was a great example of not only an unreliable narrator but unreliable narrators plur...more
Petr
Jednodušší a srozumitelnější než The Adjacent. Milostný příběh s tajemstvím, brilantně napsaný. Priest opět střídá zorné úhly a vypravěče a opět musíte dávat pozor na každé slovo, protože autor hraje se čtenářem nebezpečnou hru. Nelže, ale snaží se zmást, přichytit vás, když nedáváte pozor, když se příliš spolehnete na své předpoklady. Forma skvěle koresponduje s obsahem, který se točí právě kolem pozornosti, vnímání, viditelnosti a neviditelnosti. Místy to člověka dovede až k paranoidnímu čtení...more
My Inner Shelf
Priest fait partie de mes chouchous, le voici avec encore ne fois un récit à plusieurs points de vue, souvent contradictoires. L’auteur aime semer le doute, qui raconte quoi, qui a vécu quoi, qui aime qui, on ne sait plus vraiment, on croit comprendre, jusqu’à ce que de nouveaux faits contredisent les précédents. Sous une habile narration frisant l’extravagance, Priest évoque, via le thème de l’invisibilité, les inégalités sociales, ce que l’on souhaite ou refuse de voir, selon son propre intérê...more
Staticblaq
Give it 3.5.

This is a tough book to review. I'm not even sure what genre it slips into. It's well written by a competent author, but I found myself getting very frustrated a times throughout. Yet how much of that frustration was just me being manipulated by the author in conveying the frustration of his characters?

Richard Grey, convalescing in hospital after extensive injuries sustained in a bomb attack and suffering amnesia is visited by an odd woman claiming to be from his past. Richard sees t...more
Louise
Manny
Most people appear to believe that the definitive novel about invisibility is H.G. Wells's The Invisible Man. This book is comparatively unknown, but IMHO far more interesting. I really liked it.

To start off with: what does "invisible" mean? It's not as obvious as one first thinks.

Leif
Christopher Priest's The Glamour is a staggering and self-referential spiral that devours itself, producing a series of disorienting narrative shifts in vision, imagination, and ultimately knowledge. A number of stories are effectively told (of which Susan's perhaps the most compelling). The cumulative influence of the novel is chilling for its more-than-a-touch bitter nature, but along the way there is plenty of compelling material here.

We all make fictions. Not one of us is what we seem. When
Jenny Sparrow
После потрясающего The Prestige by Christopher Priest я хотела обязательно продолжить знакомство с этим автором, и выбор мой после недолгих раздумий пал на роман The Glamour (читала в оригинале).

Исходя из названия можно предположить, что роман представляет из себя некий немудрящий чик-лит, повествующий о шмотках и шоппинге, но это вовсе не так. Гламур у Приста обозначает нечто совсем иное. Кто-то жаждет его, кто-то пытается вырваться из него, у кого-то просто нет выбора, и ему до конца жизни при...more
Jen
This book isn't at all what it seems. You begin by thinking it's a typical literary piece in a contemporary setting, but soon it hits you that it's so much more than that. A man, Richard, is caught in a terrorist bombing and is left severely injured with amnesia. A mystery woman, Susan, from his life before the incident, appears in an effort to reboot his memory, but only achieving in shaking his world entirely as he struggles to define reality from memory, truth from illusion. The chapters are...more
Sergei_kalinin
Гламур - это вовсе не то, о чём большинство из вас могло подумать :) В данной книге гламур - это способность некоторой особой резновидности людей (?) становиться невидимыми, как бы закутываясь в некоторое "отводящее взгляды, очаровывающее облако". В древнешотландском "глэм" - это очарованность, искаженное, заколдованное вем-то восприятие/сознание.

О книге: фактически, это шедевр :) Интрига держит в напряжении до последнего момента, каждая новая часть ставит на уши смысл предудыщей части.

В первой...more
Patrick
Christopher Priest is probably best known for ‘The Prestige’, a novel about rival magicians which was later adapted into a reasonably successful film by Christopher Nolan. How interesting, then, that this book bears an intriguing partial resemblance to another one of Nolan’s films, ‘Memento’. Interesting, but not particularly telling, since amnesia and the unreliable narrator are relatively devices common in modern film and literature. Perhaps the only thing the film and this book truly have in...more
Katerina Dudkina
хороший сюжет, интересный, интриги, загадки, неопределенности, читается быстро и легко. но сам финал разочаровал немного. поэтому 3/5
Martin Tyrrell
Bizarre! I first read this in 1985-86 and remembered it as a subtle and intriguing novel. Fascinating and, occasionally, infuriating. But this is not the same book at all. For one thing, it has been very crudely updated so that there are now references to mobile phones, the euro and personal computers, all of which sit uneasily with a story that is otherwise very clearly set in the early 1980s. Worse, though, is that themes (invisibility and identity) that were hinted at in the original version,...more
Lauren
This was a book picked by my bookgroup and it was good.
There was a knowledge that there was something beyond your grasp in what was written and that this was intentional so that you were always reaching for it.

An interesting book about whats real and whats not and how its relative to the person. Certainly intrigued me and I wanted to find out more as each piece of the puzzle was revealed and then sometimes shown to not necessarily be the truth.

Worth giving a go and seeing what you think.

I real...more
Although the ending left me puzzled it still deserves a 5 star. The story had me completely gripped that I was desperate for the work day to end so I could get reading again.
If I had all the time in the world I'd probably read it again straight away bit too many other books to read! I may just read the final chapter again. I do love Christopher Priest!
Liviu
This is just an awesome book that both makes sense and it doesn't if that makes sense... Confused, well that's the author's trademark, but it is the exceptional sort of confusion that enlightens...

Read it and read it again at least once. A great story with superb characters and one of the best novels I've read in a long time.
Martin Lake
I had been a big fan of Priest's earlier fiction when I picked this up. It felt like a new direction from his earlier work but was, nonetheless, built on the same foundations.

It was mind-boggling. Priest took a simple though bizarre notion and played with it in a deft and controlled manner. It is a novel which utterly beguiles.
Vic Vic
Book had a great review in one of the Sunday papers which is why I bought it. And I was so disappointed when I couldn't get into it. I perceviered and after starting and stopping reading it about 5 times, I eventually did get into it - and it was definitely worth the effort!
Jess
Finally, a chance to read another Christopher Priest...

...and once again, going to have to read this one again. As ever, it's a good thing--but I'm still not 100% sure I understood everything!
Andy Weston
Interesting, but not for me.

Two distinct halves to the novel, with I guess a twist. I'm always keen to read something different and unique, but on this occasion it didn't work for me.
Marman
Incredible story. A psychological thriller bordering fantasy and science fiction. This book make you vigilant of things around you. Definite one of my top ten books.
Caro Roberts
the most thought provoking book i have ever read - still think about it now, after what must be 15 years since I read it!
Matt Nicholson
Starts off as an engaging and heart-rendering love story, and then turns into something else altogether. One of Priest's best.
Joanna Sacharz
good read, the other world is very inviting however feels remote and unattainable
bluetyson
The Glamour (Gollancz) by Christopher Priest (2005)
Louisa
A very well-written and engrossing novel.
Aussie Readers: Giveaway: The Glamour by Christopher Priest (Aus only, ends 31 July) 5 20 Aug 01, 2012 12:33AM
Has this book been changed? 1 15 Jun 28, 2011 01:20AM
  • Tik-Tok
  • The Businessman
  • Involution Ocean
  • Nifft the Lean
  • The Second Empire (The Monarchies of God, #4)
  • Fury
  • The Languages of Pao
  • The Unlimited Dream Company
  • Our Lady Of Darkness
  • The Iron Dream
Christopher Priest was born in Cheshire, England. He began writing soon after leaving school and has been a full-time freelance writer since 1968.

He has published eleven novels, four short story collections and a number of other books, including critical works, biographies, novelizations and children’s non-fiction.

He has written drama for radio (BBC Radio 4) and television (Thames TV and HTV). In...more
More about Christopher Priest...
The Prestige The Inverted World The Affirmation The Islanders The Separation