The Dark-Hunter Companion (Dark-Hunter Universe)

The Dark-Hunter Companion (Dark-Hunter Universe)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  4,943 ratings  ·  121 reviews
Includes "Second Chances" previously included in "Dark-Hunter Collectable Booklet"

Consider this handbook your education. Hunter 101. And don't go thinking you got off easy just because there's not a pop quiz at the end. This is the good stuff. The real deal. In here you'll find out all there is to know about being a Dark-Hunter.

Now for the disclaimer: This book is mutable....more
Published November 13th 2007 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dark-Hunter Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark-Hunter Companion

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

If you're into the Dark Hunter series like I am, this companion book is for you. It really helped me understand the different pantheons, the different Hunters, and all their powers and abilities. I wish I had this before I had started reading Dark Hunter books.

Exina
"Welcome to your new life. Go kick some ass."

The Dark-Hunter Companion is so much fun! It is filled with tons of useful and well-structured information, written in a really engaging style.

"This book won't get too deep into the nitty-gritty. The real down and dirty stuff you'll have to ask the tight-lipped Goth Royal Tallness himself."

Well, maybe really not that dirty, but it is detailed enough.

As it is a handbook for brand-new Dark-Hunters, the first part of it is a guide that tells you

- h...more
Sara
This was a really fun read and truly a perfect companion to the Dark-Hunter series. It was written in the style of a guide for Dark-Hunters which made it all the more interesting. It wasn't like reading a boring summarization of the books, but rather leading you into the life of a Dark-Hunter and what to expect. There were detailed biographies of Dark-Hunters, Were-Hunters, Dream-Hunters, gods, and Daimons. Although, if you're not into bios, don't worry, you can skip them. It might be a good id...more
N.L. Riviezzo
An entertaining and informative addition to the Dark-Hunter world but best left until after the series up to book #15, Acheron, and the various short stories are read.
Corazon
Ich bin ja kein großer Fan von Taschenbücher, deshalb habe ich gezögert, als ich las, dass dieses Exemplar ein TB ist. Ich habe mich dennoch für einen Kauf entschieden, und diesen aus vielerlei Gründen nicht bereut.

Das TB entpuppt sich als gebunden im Softcover. Dass allein ist der Preis schon wert.

Der Inhalt hat mich von der ersten Seite an überzeugt.
Wie von einem guten "Lexikon" zu erwarten ist, beginnt es mit einer detaillierten Übersicht der einzelnen Themen.
Im Anschluss erfährt man alle...more
Mojca
Aug 09, 2008 Mojca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mojca by: lovers of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Hunters
This is a must have for all Dark-, Were- and/or Dream-Hunters fans out there.

A mixture of manual, fictitious material, historical tidbits, and yummy recipes, it's a fun, light read to escape the often gloomy, dark world of the Hunters.

This is a go-to book to refresh your memory on the Hunters (present and past), learn a little more about them, their squires, and even their leader.

It also explains the origin of the Apollites and Daimons, sheds some light onto the powers-that-be (gods, demigods, d...more
Julianna
Feb 25, 2013 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Dark-Hunter Series
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I've been saying for a while now that I need a Dark-Hunter encyclopedia to keep track of all the characters and mythology of the series, and here it is. The Dark-Hunter Companion is written in an entertaining way with the narrator assuming that the reader has just been turned into a Dark-Hunter, and this is the handbook to their job. Each section begins with a full-page black and white illustration done in the manga style. I'm not sure which characters some of them repres...more
Robin
This is a humorously written, informative reference guide to the novels written in the Dark-Hunter fictional world through the 13th novel including Dream-Hunter and Were-Hunter novels, novellas and short stories. The problem is that these are only half of what has since been written. And some of the more recent novels, especially the most recent Styxx, turn what came before on its ear. Still it is worth the read, and helps keep some of the players straight as the overall story grows in depth, br...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
If you are a fan of the Dark Hunter Series , you have to get this book. It's an awesome addition to my growing SK library!!!!!

You get all the information of all the characters….their history, background, places and more…who is who….everything about the Dark Hunters, Were-Hunters, Dream Hunters, Gods and Goddesses…it’s the ultimate Dark Hunter encyclopedia…

Love the part with the interview with Sherrilyn Kenyon and the Dark Hunter Directory….fabulous!!! Also some interesting illustrations are incl...more
pianogal
Whew! Finally made it through this one. The back half is pretty good, but I definately did not need a complete character index. That was amazingly difficult to trudge through. So beware - if you don't really need to know EVERYTHING about EVERYONE ever involved in the Dark-Hunter world - now and in the foreseeable future, I'd pass on this one.
Kirsten
I was looking for specific info on specific characters that wasn't in the book. :( Still love Sherrilyn, but the book needs to be updated. I know, lots of work. Lots of good information on other characters though. :)
Tammie King
www.nightowlromance.com - If you love Sherrilyn Kenyon you have to get the Dark-Hunter Companion. This book has everything you could ever want including the kitchen sink. Well, maybe not the sink but if you get hungry reading about all those hot hunters Kenyon has diligently included recipes to curb some of those hungers.

If your walking down the street one dark and lonely night and are suddenly attacked by a Daimon this book will tell you what their weakness’ are. So remember to study hard and k...more
Theresa
Great Dark Hunter resource book. It’s filled with lists of the character’s names and backgrounds. It explains the differences between the different types of hunters, etc. I like the format as if it’s being written by someone in the Dark Hunter world writing a guide to help a new hunter survive in his new life. It’s done in a humorous way too.

I discovered a lot of info I wasn’t expecting. Like the addresses of the sanctuaries and bars. There’s also recipes. BTW: the websites included all take y...more
Megan
“Second Chances” by Sherrilyn Kenyon is in The Dark-Hunter Companion guide. It is a short story that is number 8.5 in the Dark-Hunter series (meaning that it comes in between “Sins of the Night” and “Unleash the Night”). It is a short story about Ash and Styxx. Ash went to visit Styxx in Tartarus, where Styxx is imprisoned. Styxx was Ash's brother when they were both human. When they were human Styxx tortured and did everything he could to make Ash's mortal life miserable. Styxx was to inherit h...more
Ruth Violet
wow. what an awesome book. so much info. makes me want to start at the beginning with the darkhunters and read them all over again. it listed a dark hunter directory. totally awesome. the same with the were hunters,squires,dream hunters,daimons. awesome. in the great gods all mighty. listed all the deities, demons, demigods,and all other things immortal. wow. the books is awesome. then i got to the interviews with was definitely my fav. but loved everything about this book. i will always love th...more
Dhfan4life
Reaver Engel
This book is awesome and a must read for any fan of the Dark-Hunter series! I loved it to no end and the interviews with the author and Ash at the end are really cool. Plus some parts that didn't make it into the book. All the information you need to be a Dark-Hunter wrapped up in this awesome book! Love it!
Tanya
As far as a companion book to a series, this one is okay ... as long as you get it realizing it's more a reference guide to the series than anything else.

I got it expecting it to be more entertainment than reference (much like J.R. Ward's companion to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series), but that is not the case. There's a lot of long-winded explanations about things you already knew, which didn't thrill me. In fact, the only thing this book is really good for is knowledge of the SCORES of char...more
Elsie
The series runs like a soap opera, I find that many of the books within the series are not exactly stand alone. I found myself purchasing the others just to keep up with unanswered questions. Kenyon doesn't do a very good job explaining things very well, jumps around even in this book. I also noticed that Kenyon likes to introduce a lot of new characters with each new book, basically leaving the doors open for new character stories for a possible later date. As a result, it's not surprising to l...more
Mary
This is a handbook of characters and scenes to the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

It is written in light hearted fashion with humor. A bit too much for my taste. I needed the description of characters and who is related to who as this series is based on mythological characters.

I did find it useful in straight definitions of the mythological characters and to a degree their relationship to all the different myths.

I guess I am more a student and I found the playfulness a bit too much at t...more
Connie Easlick
I am putting this on my read shelf a little early, since I have read half of it and know how I want my review to go.
This book is just like it says, a companion, to all the dark hunter books in the series. I really enjoyed parts of it, even though it reads something like an encyclopedia for all the characters.
I am so hoping that some of the characters in here, not previously in other books, are going to show up in her new books soon. I would love to be able to have Sherrilyn Kenyon write a book...more
Gina
Awesome! Definitely Hunter 101. Everything we’ve learned is in here, plus a little more… just not enough. But that’s okay. I can wait patiently for the next novels to come out… well, sort of patiently. The book touches base on everything from how DH’s came to be, about Apollites and Daimons, and Gods and Squires, everything! It helps put everything in the right place. Got confused? This book should help you sort it all out. My fave parts: Interviews with Sherri, Ash and Simi, Jones’s Diary made...more
Lesia Vargas
very informative book..insights into the dark-hunters heads
Inky
A must have for this author, not just a money scheme. She has so many amazing characters and lives going on this is definitely needed to keep everything and everyone in order and or for easy reference later. Everything is written out well, great tool for her series.

I love this author2
Janet
If you want to read this book, make darn sure you’ve read the other books first. Otherwise it's a big spoiler to the fate of some of the characters. That aside, the biggest chunk of this book was name after name after name of every god, every goddess, every Daimon, Dark-Hunter, Were-Hunter, Dream-Hunter, Squire, and mortal to ever appear in any one of Kenyon’s books. No matter how fleeting a reference. Even the deleted scenes and special short story fell flat after wading through this thing.
Amanda
Great book for us hardcore Dark Hunter fans. Its very informative and also hilarious. I tend to forget characters from 10 books ago or whatever so its nice having this book as a reminder. I just have to flip to the character I need and I get the basic info I need.

There are also some great extras, like interviews with Simi and Ash as well as a look into Greek life, and some Greek recipes too.

Oh and plenty of inside jokes and quotes and such. I loved it.
Princesita_1786
Este libro es un "compendio" de todo el mundo dark hunter,werehunter y dream-hunter.
Es entretenido de leer, ya que parece como si un escudero te contara secretos y te sientes como un recien iniciado DH.

No es una novela, no hay historia de romance o accion aqui, pero se nombra a todos los personajes, poderes, lugares, herramientas y todos aquellos terminos que no entiendes o dudas que surjan..

Ningn fan de Dark-Hunter world debe perderse de leer esto!!

=)
mlady_rebecca
Read most of this before/during/after reading "Acheron", but I just finished the rest after reading "One Silent Night" (Stryker's story). Nice book to reference, but also nice to read cover to cover. Includes interviews with Sherrilyn, Ash, and Simi; chapters on the Dark-Hunters, Were-Hunters, Gods and Goddesses, and Humans; some missing chapters and a short story; ... basically everything you could want in a series companion.
Mary
This is a must have while reading this series. When you run into something you are not sure of what the heck it is, you can look it up somehwere in this book and find out exactly what it is. Coveres everything from different Gods, Demons, hunters, even lists bios/statistics of just about every character, has the quires oaths, hunters oaths and brief comments and suggestions from alot of the main characters.
Alyssa
Very informative book and it gave alot of information into the small details, family trees, weaponry & other day to day that you may not remember or ascertain from the actual books.

The best thing about this book, however, is the short story Second Chances and the deleted scenes at the end. I really enjoyed getting the chance to see Styxx apologize to Acheron, well worth it!
  • Midnight Pleasures (Wild Wulfs of London, #0.5; Dream-Hunter, #0.5)
  • Tapestry (Were-Hunter, #0.5; Highlander, #8; De Piaget, #10)
  • Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #2)
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Dark Dreamers  (Dark, #7b) (Dirk & Steele, #4)
  • Into the Dark (Lords of the Underworld, #.5, Atlantis #5)
  • All I Want For Christmas
Official UK Publisher Kenyon site
Official Chronicles of Nick site
Official Taiwan Publisher Dark-Hunter site
Official Facebook site

New York Times and international bestselling author Sherrilyn Kenyon is a regular at the #1 spot. With legions of fans known as Menyons (thousands of whom proudly sport tattoos from her series and...more
More about Sherrilyn Kenyon...
Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter companion novel) Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, #3) Acheron (Dark-Hunter, #8) Night Play (Were-Hunter, #1) Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1)

“We're not the damned, folks, we're the categorically fucked."
-Urian”
24 likes
“We are Darkness. We are Shadow.
We are the Ruler of the Night.
We, alone, stand between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. We are the Guardian
The Soulless Keepers. Our souls were cast out so that we would not forewarn the Daimons we pursue. By the time they see us coming, it's too late.
The Daimons and Apollites know us. They fear us. We are death to all those who prey upon the humans. Neither Human, nor Apollite, we exist beyond the realm of the Living, beyond the realm of the Dead
We are the Dark-Hunters.