Start by marking “Mr. Monster” as Want to Read:
Mr. Monster
Preview

Mr. Monster (John Cleaver #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  5,459 ratings  ·  729 reviews
I killed a demon. I don’t know if it was really, technically a demon, but I do know that he was some kind of monster, with fangs and claws and the whole bit, and he killed a lot of people. So I killed him. I think it was the right thing to do. At least the killing stopped.

Well, it stopped for a while.

In I Am Not a Serial Killer, John Wayne Cleaver saved his town from a mur
Published September 28th 2010 by Tor Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Monster, please sign up.

Tonia
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Annalisa
"Trust me, from one sociopath to another: if you don't understand the reason for something, it's always love."

What fascinated me in I Am Not A Serial Killer is learning about antiosocial personality disorder, discovering the world of morticians, and more than anything rooting for a boy struggling with his sociopathic tendencies and his need to be good. But none of that was fascinating for me here.

When it wasn't repetitive or bland (all those "oh my gosh"es and first dates screamed Mormon author)
Mike (the Paladin)
This book is a bit hard to rate...and review.

***Please note***:
I AM ASSUMING YOU HAVE READ I Am Not A Serial Killer which is the first volume of this "story". THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FOR THAT BOOK HERE.

I find many things about this/these book(s) interesting and well done. I also find a lot about (especially this one) objectionable. The books attempt to walk the lines between slasher/horror/urban fantasy. The first book follows John as he struggles with his own "verging" sociopathy. He has alway
Erin
Mr. Monster, the sequel to I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells, was scarily addicting. It’s a story about a sixteen-year-old sociopath, at war with himself over giving into his darker urges or doing right and acting normal. And while this sounds creepy and weird, the mystery of the story and the development of John’s character make for a fascinating read. Also, it’s impossible to put down.

Continuing a few months after I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster delves even deeper into John’s sociopa
Kaisa
I can't help but love these books.

Already with the first book, I knew that I'd enjoy whatever Dan Wells threw at me, but seriously, these books are like crack to me now.
I love John Cleaver because he's a sociopath with morals. That kind of main character is hard to beat.

The only negative thing I have to say is that I'm not pleased with the end. It felt too abrupt and inconclusive. Of course, it's not the last book in the series, so it's not supposed to be completely conclusive, but what I mean
Jared
I am going to review Mr. Monster by Dan Wells.

In the interest of full honesty, Dan and I don’t go way back, nor are we even Christmas card friends. We met a few years ago and have barely talked since (not out of any animosity). However, the circumstance was just unusual enough that I remember him and he remembers me. He’s an accomplished author and I’m an aspiring one.

And that’s all there is to that.

Now on to his book.

I read I Am Not a Serial Killer, also by him and the first in his John Cleaver
Lisa
Dan Wells has certainly done his homework. He pulled me in with I Am Not A Serial Killer, his first look at John Wayne Cleaver, his well-named sociopath (named for both John Wayne Gacy and a weapon). While the first novel explored the relationship between John's good side and "Mr. Monster," his twisted inner demon, this latest novel delves much farther into John's relationship with his own psychosis.

As someone who's always been a little fascinated with serial killers (I've stopped reading the t
Heidi Tighe
So very, very disturbing. This is an LDS author like you've never read before.

As a teenager, I used to wonder what it would be like to be a sociopath who was trying not to kill. It seems very similar to the way I felt about sneaking snacks into the movie theater. It's something that I know I shouldn't do in my head, but I didn't think my heart would feel any guilt if I actually did it. What stopped me, then, from sneaking snacks in even though I really wanted to? Was that the same thing that wou
Raquel Leite
Depois do livro “Eu não sou um serial killer” que foi muito viciante, chega-nos a sua continuação, O senhor Monstro. Contando a História sobre um sociopata de 16 anos de idade, que trava uma guerra com ele mesmo, em que os Senhor Monstro, tal como ele lhe chama, faz despertar dentro de si os seus desejos mais sombrios. Com uma data de regras impostas por ele próprio para tornar tudo mais alegre e manter o monstro sossegado.

Este livro passa-se alguns meses depois do anterior, e o Senhor Monstro e
Marvin
So I Am Not a Serial Killer had that abrupt turnaround that put off everyone and disrupted the flow of the book. Get over it. It was still a very creative story that managed to turn a creepy kid into a 15 year old antihero for our ambivalent generation. The secret is out for number two of the trilogy. It is even in the Goodreads description of Mr. Monster. This series is a supernatural thriller with a would-be teenaged serial killer in the driver's seat.

Now the question is; Can Mr. Wells success
Profundus Librum
Szerintem Wells eme könyve sokkal jobb, élvezetesebb, izgalmasabb, mint a Részlegesek-sorozata, amiben azért könnyen találtam olyan momentumokat, részeket, amikbe bele tudtam kötni, illetve nem ragadtak annyira magukkal, mint John története. A Szörnyeteg úr és a Nem akarlak megölni kettőse egy-egy nap alatt lett kiolvasva, annyira sodró lendület jellemzi a regényeket. Unalomnak, üresjáratnak nyoma sincs bennük.

Már az első kötetnél is fenn akadtam kicsit, hogy a regényt az ifjúsági kategóriába so
Amanda - Go Book Yourself

I got really tired of trying to hide the spoiler in I am not a serial killer. I came across as a deranged idiot in that review so I am just going to assume that if you are reading this review then you have read I am not a serial killer.

Please do not read on if you have not read the first book. This review will spoil the secret of the first book....I warned you!

After the previous events that took place in his small town John is trying to regain something that resembles a normal life. For his m
Larry Zieminski
This second book in Dan Well's I Am Not A Serial Killer trilogy is very good. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, but this second book surpasses the first book in many ways.

My favorite aspect of these books is the information we get about how the embalming process is done. Stephen King has talked about how death and the ways we care for our dead is one of our big taboo subjects (i.e. we really don't know what goes on between the death of a relative and the viewing of the casket at the
Yolanda Sfetsos
Sofia Teixeira
Não Sou Um Serial Killer foi para mim um dos livros ano de 2012. Conheci o nosso John Cleaver e lembro-me de já nessa altura ter sentido grande compulsividade na leitura ficando, no fim, ávida por novos desenvolvimentos. Finalmente me vi com a sequela na mão, Senhor Monstro, e foi impossível não devorá-lo. Dan Wells não me desiludiu e conquistou um respeito ainda maior pela sua escrita.

John tem as suas regras. Apesar de ter consciência que é um sociopata e que despertou a fome do Senhor Monstro
Tim
You can't really write a review of this book for a couple of reasons. One, you're not going to be able to do it justice. You'll try to convey how stay-up-all-freakin-night, can't-turn-the-pages-fast-enough good it is...but you can't; it will all just sound like hyperbole. And two, you can barely write a summary of it without giving away plot points that are much more fun to discover as the story progresses. And I guess there's the stigma of saying that a book about a sociopathic, teenage serial- ...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Toys. This word has meant different things throughout my life. Children’s toys, technological gadgets, sex toys (hehe!) and now...let’s just say these toys were not inanimate. And they screamed.

Rules. What are rules? There to be broken? Not if this is your mantra:

I Am Not a Serial Killer but Mr. Monster is. I Dont Want to Kill You but Mr. Monster does.

They became one person, John and Mr Monster. Controlling himself becomes almost impossible especially when Lauren brings her obnoxious and insulti
[Name Redacted]
Once again, wow.

I blazed through this one over the course of a weekend -- it would have been a single day but I had to visit a local Scandinavian festival with friends and then finish my slideshow for tomorrow's lesson.

This volume is even darker, even more gruesome than the first, as John's "heroic" actions from I Am Not A Serial Killer take on a twisted life of their own. The darkness within John is getting stronger and hungrier even as strives to be as "normal" humanly possible. He tries dati
Original Doll (Lea Martinuš)
Wow! What to say!

This is a first time that second part of triology is better than first, and not only because I knew what to expect (I'm talking about supernatural elements here), but the story keeps getting better and more interesting, the type of killer is much more complicated and complex and the end suggests terribly interesting plot of the story in the final part of the trilogy.
I have to say I never expected that :)
My impression was so positive that I started to read the sequel as soon as I
Aimee Meester
CREEPY.

I'll say it again.

CREE-PY.

Although, I do love John. Poor kid. *wails*
Anita
4,5 stars

Az biztos, hogy jól épült fel és érdekes Szörnyeteg úr térnyerésének elmesélése. Imádtam John eszmefuttatásait az érem két oldaláról, arról, hogy melyik az igazi arca, milyen szerepeket játszik és mit látnak az emberek, ha ránéznek! Kicsit kevés volt a halottasházas rész, de jók voltak a humoros párbeszédek.

De szerintem egy leheletnyit gyengébb lett ez a történet. Valahogy kevesebbnek tűnik, pedig legalább annyira fordulatos, épp annyira beteg és majdnem ugyanannyira borzalmas. Más szem
Eliyanna Kaiser
I really loved "I am NOT a Serial Killer," and "Mr. Monster" eclipsed it completely--this book has catapulted this series into my favorites list. For anyone who loves a psychological thriller with a dash of monster.
Meg Leader
This book seemed darker and more frightening to me than the first book in this trilogy (I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER). Again, a now-16-year-old sociopath has discovered there's a new serial killer in town--and it's not him. In fact, the new monster is in town BECAUSE of him...because of his actions in the first book. And this new serial killer is making a dead set at our young hero, determined to discover the secrets he's keeping from the first book.

Interestingly, the "Mr. Monster" of the title does
Sammee (I Want to Read That)
4. 5 stars

For some reason the first book in this series completely passed me by so I am really pleased I was given the opportunity to review Mr Monster. I really loved it and think it’s fast become one of my favourite YA horror books.

Dan Wells has a charming style of writing and I found myself completely immersed in John’s story from the first few pages. It felt completely original and unlike anything I had read before. I found it easy to follow even though I hadn’t read the first book (‘I am NO
Graham Bradley
I could sit here all night typing about this book. It blew my mind in ways I could never have anticipated. It was smart--downright brilliant even. I can't fathom the amount of thought and thorough understand that went into making this story.

It follows up with teenage sociopath John Cleaver, who in book 1 was desperately trying not to become a serial killer. He was obsessed with death, and his family runs the town mortuary, and he studied serial killers because of how interesting they were. He al
Ivana S.

This was a quick and good read, I liked it even better than the first part.
Mr. Monster goes deeper in John's mind and we get to see more of his disturbing, but very, very interesting personality. He is a scary, dangerous person, but he is trying to be ''normal'' and live by the rules that keep him from crossing the thin line between good and evil. Everything about him is creepy, even his dreams are dark and morbid, but he struggles to do the right thing every day and that makes him one of the m
Dawn
My newest favorite sociopath, John Wayne Cleaver is back again, and none too soon. I was starting to have to make a list of my own rules for appropriate behavior, just to deal with the waiting on the second one!

John Cleaver is a teenager diagnosed with....issues...that are usually noticed in serial killers. Triad of behaviors: bed wetting, fire setting, cruelty to animals? Check. Dysfunctional family home life: well, single mom with a family run mortuary service that our hero works part time in,
Gina Denny
This wasn't quite as good as the first, but I would still put this at a solid four and a half stars. We are still following around the same protagonist, John Cleaver, who has now turned sixteen and is still battling with his inner demons. And his demons are a tad different than most teens. Most teenaged boys are worried about how to get to second base... John is trying desperately not to imagine torturing his date to death.

In the first book, John tapped into his darker side in order to try to d
Maria
I'm going to start out with the one tiny thing I didn't like about this novel - just so I can get it out of the way - which was the fact that John acted WAY too old for his age. He's supposed to be 15, but sometimes he just thinks and speaks like a 30 year old.

Other than that, I found this book to be great! I enjoyed reading about the embalming process and how it connects John and his mother. I especially loved the relationship between the two of them. She knows that her son is a potential kill
Ryan Lawler
Time to dive back into the world of John Cleaver, the troubled young boy who has been diagnosed as a sociopath, has saved his town from a murderous demon, and has dreamed about slowly dissecting the girl across the street. It's no secret that I found I Am Not A Serial Killer one of the most fascinating books I have read in a long time, and I was very eager to see what Dan Wells had provided next. With Mr Monster, Wells has created a sequel that achieves the remarkable feat of outshining its pred ...more
Patrick
Mr. Monster, for whatever reason, made me feel more uneasy with John Cleaver as a character than that previous book, "I Am Not A Serial Killer" did. I'm sure that Dan Wells intended this, as he's a skilled writer, and has a knack for putting you in a position where you're torn between wanting to root for the protagonist, and feeling altogether revolted by him.

For a while, it was hard to tell where this book was going. It seemed to meander, and wasn't quite as high tension as the previous one. It
  • Ripped Apart
  • Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
  • All for One
  • Game (Jasper Dent, #2)
  • Children of Paranoia (Children of Paranoia, #1)
  • Ravenous
  • The Kult
  • Demon's Night (Jason Dark, #1)
  • Graveyard Blues (Night Blues, #1)
  • Dark Echo
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Material Witness
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • Accidents Waiting to Happen
  • Hell and Gone (Charlie Hardie, #2)
  • The President's Vampire (Nathaniel Cade, #2)
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • Murder of Angels (Silk, #2)
Dan Wells is a thriller and science fiction writer. Born in Utah, he spent his early years reading and writing. He is he author of the Partials series (Partials, Isolation, Fragments, and Ruins), the John Cleaver series (I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want To Kill You), and a few others (The Hollow City, A Night of Blacker Darkness, etc). He was a Campbell nomine for best new w ...more
More about Dan Wells...

John Cleaver (6 books)
  • I Am Not A Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
  • I Don't Want to Kill You (John Cleaver, #3)
  • The Devil's Only Friend (John Cleaver, #4)
  • Untitled (John Cleaver, #5)
  • Untitled (John Cleaver, #6)
Partials (The Partials Sequence, #1) Fragments (Partials, #2) I Am Not A Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1) Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3) I Don't Want to Kill You (John Cleaver, #3)

“It's a pretty big shock to realise that the only people you can identify with are psychopathic killers.” 47 likes
“Feelings aren't good or bad. They're just weak or strong. Love, for example, is weak: someone loves you, you love them back, you're happy for a while, and then it fades away. But if one of those lovers betrays the other, then you have a real emotion - then you have something powerful, something that leaves a mark you'll never be rid of. Betrayal is the most delicious of all, but it takes a while to set it up, and fear can be just as intense if you know what you're doing.” 20 likes