Start by marking “Mr. Monster” as Want to Read:
Mr. Monster

Mr. Monster (John Cleaver #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,039 Ratings  ·  857 Reviews
I killed a demon. I don't know if it was really, technically a demon, but I do know that he was some kind of monster, with fangs and claws and the whole bit, and he killed a lot of people. So I killed him. I think it was the right thing to do. At least the killing stopped.

Well, it stopped for a while.

In I Am Not a Serial Killer, John Wayne Cleaver saved his town from a mur
Published September 28th 2010 by Tor Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Monster, please sign up.

Emily Badly. It's about a serial killer and killer tendencies.

Annalisa
Oct 20, 2010 Annalisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Trust me, from one sociopath to another: if you don't understand the reason for something, it's always love."

What fascinated me in I Am Not A Serial Killer is learning about antiosocial personality disorder, discovering the world of morticians, and more than anything rooting for a boy struggling with his sociopathic tendencies and his need to be good. But none of that was fascinating for me here.

When it wasn't repetitive or bland (all those "oh my gosh"es and first dates screamed Mormon author)
Mike (the Paladin)
This book is a bit hard to rate...and review.

***Please note***:
I AM ASSUMING YOU HAVE READ I Am Not A Serial Killer which is the first volume of this "story". THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FOR THAT BOOK HERE.

I find many things about this/these book(s) interesting and well done. I also find a lot about (especially this one) objectionable. The books attempt to walk the lines between slasher/horror/urban fantasy. The first book follows John as he struggles with his own "verging" sociopathy. He has alway
[Name Redacted]
Sep 07, 2015 [Name Redacted] rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, psychology
FIRST READ: Aug. 10 - 13, 2012
SECOND READ: Sep. 4 - 7, 2015

Once again, wow.

I blazed through this one over the course of a weekend -- it would have been a single day but I had to visit a local Scandinavian festival with friends and then finish my slideshow for tomorrow's lesson.

This volume is even darker, even more gruesome than the first, as John's "heroic" actions from I Am Not A Serial Killer take on a twisted life of their own. The darkness within John is getting stronger and hungrier even a
Erin
Jan 14, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Monster, the sequel to I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells, was scarily addicting. It’s a story about a sixteen-year-old sociopath, at war with himself over giving into his darker urges or doing right and acting normal. And while this sounds creepy and weird, the mystery of the story and the development of John’s character make for a fascinating read. Also, it’s impossible to put down.

Continuing a few months after I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster delves even deeper into John’s sociopa
Kaisa
Feb 04, 2011 Kaisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't help but love these books.

Already with the first book, I knew that I'd enjoy whatever Dan Wells threw at me, but seriously, these books are like crack to me now.
I love John Cleaver because he's a sociopath with morals. That kind of main character is hard to beat.

The only negative thing I have to say is that I'm not pleased with the end. It felt too abrupt and inconclusive. Of course, it's not the last book in the series, so it's not supposed to be completely conclusive, but what I mean
Alexis Steven
Jun 22, 2016 Alexis Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto-hombres-p
“Es una gran sorpresa darte cuenta de que las únicas personas con las que te puedes identificar son asesinos psicópatas.”

Esta secuela pudo haberse ganado las cinco estrellas fácilmente, pero tiene un inicio más bien torpe, lo cual arruina las cosas un poco. Sin embargo, luego toma un rumbo inesperado que no puedo más que alabar, yo al leer la sinopsis imaginé algo similar que el primer libro, un nuevo asesino perseguido por un sociópata, bueno, por John, pero no, es algo más calculado y mucho má
Lisa
Jan 06, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Wells has certainly done his homework. He pulled me in with I Am Not A Serial Killer, his first look at John Wayne Cleaver, his well-named sociopath (named for both John Wayne Gacy and a weapon). While the first novel explored the relationship between John's good side and "Mr. Monster," his twisted inner demon, this latest novel delves much farther into John's relationship with his own psychosis.

As someone who's always been a little fascinated with serial killers (I've stopped reading the t
Jared
Dec 27, 2010 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to review Mr. Monster by Dan Wells.

In the interest of full honesty, Dan and I don’t go way back, nor are we even Christmas card friends. We met a few years ago and have barely talked since (not out of any animosity). However, the circumstance was just unusual enough that I remember him and he remembers me. He’s an accomplished author and I’m an aspiring one.

And that’s all there is to that.

Now on to his book.

I read I Am Not a Serial Killer, also by him and the first in his John Cleaver
Marvin
Apr 28, 2011 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
So I Am Not a Serial Killer had that abrupt turnaround that put off everyone and disrupted the flow of the book. Get over it. It was still a very creative story that managed to turn a creepy kid into a 15 year old antihero for our ambivalent generation. The secret is out for number two of the trilogy. It is even in the Goodreads description of Mr. Monster. This series is a supernatural thriller with a would-be teenaged serial killer in the driver's seat.

Now the question is; Can Mr. Wells success
Patricia
Feb 22, 2016 Patricia rated it really liked it
Me gustó mucho el libro, hasta mas de la mitad fue medio lento pero después wow! a ver cómo sigue en el proximo libro.
Heidi Tighe
So very, very disturbing. This is an LDS author like you've never read before.

As a teenager, I used to wonder what it would be like to be a sociopath who was trying not to kill. It seems very similar to the way I felt about sneaking snacks into the movie theater. It's something that I know I shouldn't do in my head, but I didn't think my heart would feel any guilt if I actually did it. What stopped me, then, from sneaking snacks in even though I really wanted to? Was that the same thing that wou
Raquel Leite
Jan 31, 2013 Raquel Leite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Depois do livro “Eu não sou um serial killer” que foi muito viciante, chega-nos a sua continuação, O senhor Monstro. Contando a História sobre um sociopata de 16 anos de idade, que trava uma guerra com ele mesmo, em que os Senhor Monstro, tal como ele lhe chama, faz despertar dentro de si os seus desejos mais sombrios. Com uma data de regras impostas por ele próprio para tornar tudo mais alegre e manter o monstro sossegado.

Este livro passa-se alguns meses depois do anterior, e o Senhor Monstro e
Ms. Nikki
Is a killer a monster if they only kill bad people? What would you do to keep your child from thinking bad thoughts, from fully embracing the sociopath that he or she is?

In book 2 John talks about his "Monster" and basically the rules he and his mother have set up to keep him from going off the deep end.

The story had a good flow and could easily be read in a sitting or two.

While the story of John Cleaver progressed, it did so in the most minimalist way possible. The baddie in this read was, not
Profundus Librum
Szerintem Wells eme könyve sokkal jobb, élvezetesebb, izgalmasabb, mint a Részlegesek-sorozata, amiben azért könnyen találtam olyan momentumokat, részeket, amikbe bele tudtam kötni, illetve nem ragadtak annyira magukkal, mint John története. A Szörnyeteg úr és a Nem akarlak megölni kettőse egy-egy nap alatt lett kiolvasva, annyira sodró lendület jellemzi a regényeket. Unalomnak, üresjáratnak nyoma sincs bennük.

Már az első kötetnél is fenn akadtam kicsit, hogy a regényt az ifjúsági kategóriába so
Amanda - Go Book Yourself

I got really tired of trying to hide the spoiler in I am not a serial killer. I came across as a deranged idiot in that review so I am just going to assume that if you are reading this review then you have read I am not a serial killer.

Please do not read on if you have not read the first book. This review will spoil the secret of the first book....I warned you!

After the previous events that took place in his small town John is trying to regain something that resembles a normal life. For his m
Neil Hepworth
Jun 05, 2014 Neil Hepworth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I finished I Am Not A Serial Killer, I started the next book in the series, Mr. Monster. Now that I am done with Mr. Monster, I have sent away for the final book, I Don’t Want to Kill You. It can’t come fast enough. These are phenomenal books.

If you liked the first book, you will like this one, too. And actually, if you liked the first half of the first book, but hated the twist and the end, then you should still like this one, too.

Rather than focus on the supernatural aspects that
Larry Zieminski
Feb 18, 2011 Larry Zieminski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second book in Dan Well's I Am Not A Serial Killer trilogy is very good. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, but this second book surpasses the first book in many ways.

My favorite aspect of these books is the information we get about how the embalming process is done. Stephen King has talked about how death and the ways we care for our dead is one of our big taboo subjects (i.e. we really don't know what goes on between the death of a relative and the viewing of the casket at the
Yolanda Sfetsos
Sofia Teixeira
Feb 09, 2013 Sofia Teixeira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Não Sou Um Serial Killer foi para mim um dos livros ano de 2012. Conheci o nosso John Cleaver e lembro-me de já nessa altura ter sentido grande compulsividade na leitura ficando, no fim, ávida por novos desenvolvimentos. Finalmente me vi com a sequela na mão, Senhor Monstro, e foi impossível não devorá-lo. Dan Wells não me desiludiu e conquistou um respeito ainda maior pela sua escrita.

John tem as suas regras. Apesar de ter consciência que é um sociopata e que despertou a fome do Senhor Monstro
Tim
Apr 13, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't really write a review of this book for a couple of reasons. One, you're not going to be able to do it justice. You'll try to convey how stay-up-all-freakin-night, can't-turn-the-pages-fast-enough good it is...but you can't; it will all just sound like hyperbole. And two, you can barely write a summary of it without giving away plot points that are much more fun to discover as the story progresses. And I guess there's the stigma of saying that a book about a sociopathic, teenage serial- ...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Toys. This word has meant different things throughout my life. Children’s toys, technological gadgets, sex toys (hehe!) and now...let’s just say these toys were not inanimate. And they screamed.

Rules. What are rules? There to be broken? Not if this is your mantra:

I Am Not a Serial Killer but Mr. Monster is. I Dont Want to Kill You but Mr. Monster does.

They became one person, John and Mr Monster. Controlling himself becomes almost impossible especially when Lauren brings her obnoxious and insulti
Jessica
Jan 17, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
Oh. My. Gosh. Dan Wells knows way too much about how a sociopath would think! And yet, though I normally do not like horror or serial killer stories, I cannot look away! I stayed up until midnight to finish this book in one day.

John Cleaver is back, and now his problems are worse than before. His therapist is dead, his mother is in denial that she helped kill a demon and seems to think that she needs to be even more rigid with John to prevent it happening again (I'd say "Mom Logic", but no, I t
Cesar Celaya
Jun 16, 2016 Cesar Celaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
A pesar de que la primera mitad del libro fue algo monótona, Dan Wells logro sorprenderme con un giro de la historia que provoco que me quedara leyendo hasta el final. Esta vez, se le da un tanto más de importancia a algunos personajes secundarios del primer título, y vemos a un John Cleaver más oscuro.
Además, esta segunda parte me ha permitido entender cuál es la dirección de la serie. Espero que los demás sean igual de buenos.
Karla
May 15, 2016 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No creí que fuese a leerlo tan rápido, sin duda alguna es una muy buena segunda parte, nos develan algunos misterios del primer libro y eso lo agradezco infinitamente porque podemos darnos una idea más a profundidad sobre la saga, ame la evolución de John, ese estira y afloja en su personalidad es única!!!

Reseña completa: http://karlajgalindo.blogspot.mx/2016...

Vídeo reseña: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efdmc...
Erin
Feb 13, 2013 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me preface this review by saying I'm an idiot for not realizing this book was a sequel to another that I haven't read. Duh. That's what happens when you are afraid the blurb on the back cover will give it away.

This book left me with a bad feeling. The story itself was ok, and the narrator is someone that the reader roots for (at least for a while). It was extremely graphic though, and not in a good way. I can stomach true crime, Law & Order SVU, and anything with zombies all day long. B
Dalila.
May 06, 2015 Dalila. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd in the John Cleaver trilogy does NOT disappoint. Did you think it was gonna go all the way there?? I most certainly didn't. Given, okay, it took Wells a little longer than I'd like to get to answering the burning question of who the killer is this time around, once we find out, it's nonstop awesomeness from then on.
I still like John. Potential psychopath or otherwise, his constant struggle for understanding emotions and accidental hero are what makes this book so captivating.

Bottom line,
Original Doll (Lea Martinuš)
Wow! What to say!

This is a first time that second part of triology is better than first, and not only because I knew what to expect (I'm talking about supernatural elements here), but the story keeps getting better and more interesting, the type of killer is much more complicated and complex and the end suggests terribly interesting plot of the story in the final part of the trilogy.
I have to say I never expected that :)
My impression was so positive that I started to read the sequel as soon as I
Yelania Nightwalker

¿Qué puedo decir de un libro que supera con creces a su predecesor? Es impresionante lo que ha hecho Dan Wells con esta serie y con esta novela en particular. OJO: mi reseña no tiene spoilers del primer libro ni de éste.

Aunque al inicio lo sentí un poco aburrido, porque acababa de terminar el primer libro y aquí, el autor nos explica mucho de lo que sucedió en el libro anterior. Yo sé que eso es necesario cuando has esperado mucho entre un libro y otro, para situarte en la historia; o bien, c

Jorge Trejo
May 01, 2016 Jorge Trejo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Cleaver tiene ahora dieseis años y es consciente de lo que implica dejar que “El señor Monstruo” tome el control de su mente y cuerpo, por lo que tiene que negociar con él rompiendo algunas de las reglas que se había impuesto para mantenerlo tranquilo y permitirle llevar una vida lo más normal posible.
Sobre los nuevos acontecimientos:
Después de que el “asesino de Clayton” parece haber desaparecido de la noche a la mañana las cosas en el condado parecen regresar a la normalida, las personas
Gina
Apr 29, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So after some well worded googling, I have learned that this book, the second of this series, is firmly meant for adults. That wasn't clear from the first book as the protagonist, John Cleaver, is 15 years old and is still that age in this one. I got in serious trouble for reading Stephen King's It in the 5th grade when we were supposed to be reading these boring reading comprehension worksheets, so I'm not one to judge how age appropriate a book is. As someone with no triggers, I can't help but ...more
  • Ripped Apart
  • Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3)
  • The Kult
  • Career Day (Jasper Dent, #0.5)
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • All for One
  • Graveyard Blues (Night Blues, #1)
  • Children of Paranoia (Children of Paranoia, #1)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Deep, Dark
  • Any Other Night
  • Ravenous
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • Red, White, and Blood (Nathaniel Cade #3)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Hazzardous Universe
  • Dark Echo
Dan Wells is a thriller and science fiction writer. Born in Utah, he spent his early years reading and writing. He is he author of the Partials series (Partials, Isolation, Fragments, and Ruins), the John Cleaver series (I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want To Kill You), and a few others (The Hollow City, A Night of Blacker Darkness, etc). He was a Campbell nomine for best new w ...more
More about Dan Wells...

John Cleaver (6 books)
  • I Am Not A Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
  • I Don't Want to Kill You (John Cleaver, #3)
  • The Devil's Only Friend (John Cleaver, #4)
  • Over Your Dead Body (John Cleaver, #5)
  • Untitled (John Cleaver, #6)

“It's a pretty big shock to realise that the only people you can identify with are psychopathic killers.” 56 likes
“Feelings aren't good or bad. They're just weak or strong. Love, for example, is weak: someone loves you, you love them back, you're happy for a while, and then it fades away. But if one of those lovers betrays the other, then you have a real emotion - then you have something powerful, something that leaves a mark you'll never be rid of. Betrayal is the most delicious of all, but it takes a while to set it up, and fear can be just as intense if you know what you're doing.” 22 likes