Start by marking “Fleur de Lys” as Want to Read:
Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Major. Captain. Lieutenant. Private. An unethically mixed friendship and a rocky one, formed under duress, kept very discreet, adhered to because - Because none of them seriously thought they would live long enough for it to be a problem.

Status: Complete
Word count: approx. 69,579
online fiction, 209 pages
Published 2010

To ask other readers questions about Fleur de Lys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fleur de Lys

Evenfall by Santino HassellThe Student Prince by FayJayAfterimage by Santino HassellThe Violet and the Tom by Eve OcotilloFade by Santino Hassell
Favorite Unpublished M/M Stories
74th out of 282 books — 1,130 voters
The Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesWiddershins by Jordan L. HawkThe Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeDowntime by Tamara AllenThink of England by K.J. Charles
Best Gay Historical Romance
270th out of 562 books — 1,039 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivian
Feb 18, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-hist
Heartbreaking and raw.

The emotions and events of four men as they carry on through WWI are devastating and simultaneously treated so casually as they attempt to maintain sanity. I feel numb and horrified. Those that experience war never truly leave it behind and those that haven't born witness can't understand. Of course I wish this was longer, but this is selfishness not necessity for closure.
Brainorgan
Jun 29, 2011 Brainorgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, forbidden-love
I really enjoyed this story. WWI, British soldiers, a commoner and a nobleman, older + younger, hurt/comfort (PTSD). Some flashbacks (about 50%) of trench warfare, some of it graphic. It seemed to me there were some slight technical problems - sometimes the flashbacks were not too clear - I wish they had italicized them. And some little motivational/plot holes, but very minor (enough to notice though). On the whole, very readable, enjoyable, seems to ring true to the era of WWI in England and il ...more
Dana
I think I fell in love with Fleur de Lys the moment I saw the quote before the first chapter. It's written in an atypical, memorable style. Events of the past and present are told alternately, but not once is it even remotely confusing. In fact, the two seem to enhance each other's impact. A sense of deep melancholy seems to cling to the words, which is only too appropriate considering the setting of the story.

The characters are unique and intriguing. It is easy to get invested in their rocky li
Seregil
Aug 14, 2011 Seregil rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-fiction
Painfull and tragic, yet filled with hope and sweetness. It's a story about surviving the end of the war.
Camilla
Apr 01, 2012 Camilla rated it liked it
Shelves: online-reads
I think I'll do my review before I give it any stars.. Wouldnt know what to give it now anyways..

This is a free online read.. A story about English soldiers during the 1st WW.. Mostly its about Dev and Cowan.. A young Captain and an older private finding each other during the war..

Dev, the young Captain, suffers from severe PTSD after the war, and Cowan is the only one that can help him through it..

I think that pretty much sums it up..

I liked these two, I really did.

I thought it had a vague begi
John
Jan 29, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
I thought this book captured the feel of the last part of the Great War and it's immediate aftermath through a moving story of two men who find and ultimately heal each other. It's a little disjointed, but it read to me like the disjointedness of the time; the disjointedness of shell shock. It's easy to forget that the Great War was one for which it's participants were totally unprepared for, and its consequences overwhelmed the society soldiers returned home to. Although the main characters are ...more
Alex P
Nov 01, 2014 Alex P rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, military, m-m
Raw, horrifying, and very real. Review to come when I've thought about it a little more. I'm so glad I read this.
Goodmorning87
Jan 21, 2014 Goodmorning87 rated it really liked it
Really great story, though at some points a bit difficult, very powerful and doesn't really pull any punches. Well written though the flashbacks get a little jarring and scattered at points. Definitely worth the read.
Keren Barkan
May 19, 2012 Keren Barkan rated it it was amazing
WOW. Amazing, powerful, like a punch to the stomach. It takes your breath away.
Sandra Salgado
Sandra Salgado marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Aerulan
Aerulan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Nocturnalux
Nocturnalux marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Maja
Maja rated it it was ok
May 22, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Aydan
Aydan marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Cuppachar
Cuppachar marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Lone
Lone added it
Apr 15, 2016
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Faye
Faye marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Scott Grunthaner
Scott Grunthaner marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Skm
Skm added it
Feb 27, 2016
Muffin
Muffin marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Brit
Brit marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
B
B rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
  • The Introspective Debate of Owen Brody
  • It's Like This
  • Iron Butterfly
  • Chemistry
  • Shades of Gray (Shades Of Gray, #1)
  • Muffin (Muffin #1)