Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Major. Captain. Lieutenant. Private. An unethically mixed friendship and a rocky one, formed under duress, kept very discreet, adhered to because - Because none of them seriously thought they would live long enough for it to be a problem.

Status: Complete
Word count: approx. 69,579

To ask other readers questions about Fleur de Lys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fleur de Lys

Brainorgan
I really enjoyed this story. WWI, British soldiers, a commoner and a nobleman, older + younger, hurt/comfort (PTSD). Some flashbacks (about 50%) of trench warfare, some of it graphic. It seemed to me there were some slight technical problems - sometimes the flashbacks were not too clear - I wish they had italicized them. And some little motivational/plot holes, but very minor (enough to notice though). On the whole, very readable, enjoyable, seems to ring true to the era of WWI in England and il...more
Vivian Archer
Heartbreaking and raw.

The emotions and events of four men as they carry on through WWI are devastating and simultaneously treated so casually as they attempt to maintain sanity. I feel numb and horrified. Those that experience war never truly leave it behind and those that haven't born witness can't understand. Of course I wish this was longer, but this is selfishness not necessity for closure.
Seregil
Painfull and tragic, yet filled with hope and sweetness. It's a story about surviving the end of the war.
Gwen
Going to try to be generous as this is a free online fic and thus probably didn't have the benefit of an editor.

I only had few quibbles with this one. It has quite a few typos (the misuse of the apostrophe in plural words and it's/its confusion being the major ones). The flashbacks aren't set off in any way, so there is some confusion as to what is past and what is present. Also, transitions from scene to scene aren't done very smoothly in places, and in general, a lot of what goes on here is l...more
Camilla
I think I'll do my review before I give it any stars.. Wouldnt know what to give it now anyways..

This is a free online read.. A story about English soldiers during the 1st WW.. Mostly its about Dev and Cowan.. A young Captain and an older private finding each other during the war..

Dev, the young Captain, suffers from severe PTSD after the war, and Cowan is the only one that can help him through it..

I think that pretty much sums it up..

I liked these two, I really did.

I thought it had a vague begi...more
John
I thought this book captured the feel of the last part of the Great War and it's immediate aftermath through a moving story of two men who find and ultimately heal each other. It's a little disjointed, but it read to me like the disjointedness of the time; the disjointedness of shell shock. It's easy to forget that the Great War was one for which it's participants were totally unprepared for, and its consequences overwhelmed the society soldiers returned home to. Although the main characters are...more
Goodmorning87
Really great story, though at some points a bit difficult, very powerful and doesn't really pull any punches. Well written though the flashbacks get a little jarring and scattered at points. Definitely worth the read.
Keren Barkan
WOW. Amazing, powerful, like a punch to the stomach. It takes your breath away.
Liss
Liss marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Ayanna
Ayanna marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Obsidiansrose
Obsidiansrose marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Lioness7
Lioness7 marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Fen
Fen added it
Jun 21, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Adinda
Adinda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Nienke
Nienke marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Mariam
Mariam marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Lena♥Ribka
Lena♥Ribka marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Bane
Bane marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Handbags at Dawn Falls Chance Ranch (Falls Chance Ranch #1) Three Traders (Falls Chance Ranch #2) Mustang Hill (Falls Chance Ranch #3) Silver Bullet (Falls Chance Ranch #4)