Crossing the Line

Crossing the Line (Hayden Glass)

2.5 of 5 stars 2.50  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  9 reviews

Hayden Glass is on the fast track to making detective with the LAPD, but first he’s got to work his way through Vice. But as any cop can attest, you can’t leave your work at the office, and with Hayden’s cursed and troubled past, his soul is not in the best shape. His marriage is on the rocks and he’s carries a deep guilt and anger that nothing can seem to quench. Until

Published (first published December 7th 2010)

Scott
I didn't notice this was a (very) short story until I hit the last page on Kindle.

I've only read a few "thrillers" but I wasn't expecting the language used in the sex bits. Not that I mind, per se, just wasn't expecting in "this type" of story.

Overall, I didn't care for the main character much. I could see where, had the story been longer (or should I read other full-length stories featuring him) there were aspects that could be something for me to latch onto and form some understanding of the c...more
Col
Jan 08, 2014 Col rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, s
Crossing The Line is a short story which introduces the reader to Hayden Glass who is the anchor in Schwartz's two novels; Boulevard.and Beat. Glass is a detective in the Robbery-Homicide department of the LAPD. Hayden endeavours to fight crime and corruption whilst battling his own issues with sex-addiction.

I have the two novels lying on the shelves of unread masses and I have provisionally pencilled in Boulevard to fill the Californian slot of my US State Reading Challenge for 2014.

Ever the co...more
Jolie
This short story was very, um, interesting.

The book starts off with an undercover prostitution sting. The main "good" (and I put it into parentheses because I really don't think he is good per say) guy is an undercover cop with the Vice squad on LAPD. During his shift, he notices a girl on the street and asks his partner about her. That question leads him to do something that is a big no-no with cops.... especially VICE.

I gave this short story a 2 star rating on Shelfari. I didn't like the stor...more
J. Ewbank
This book by Schwartz gets your attention and as you read you are not aware that it is a short story. I would like to know more about the characters in this book. Another book about them would be interesting to me.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Cindy-lee
I very much appreciated being able to go back and read this, after having finished both Boulevard and Beat. I felt it set the stage very well, and as I thoroughly enjoyed Hayden's character, I was glad to see where he began.
Brandon
I don't see how this would make someone want to read the other Hayden novels. The title says it all. However, since it just sets the stage for the series, I'm staying open to the possibility that that's not all he does.
Sunsette
I got absolutely nothing out of this...very short story & not my type of reading at all.
Danna
Wow was this a short book. Just as soon as you get interested, the book ends.
Amber
There is a reason this book is free for the kindle.
Deshanna
Deshanna marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Al4jax
Al4jax marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Amanda Rusher
Amanda Rusher marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Cori Nichols
Cori Nichols marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Esther Marlowe
Esther Marlowe marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Buran
Buran marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
STEPHEN JAY SCHWARTZ grew up in New Mexico and traveled the United States extensively before settling down in Los Angeles. There he became the Director of Development for Wolfgang Petersen, helping develop films such as Outbreak and Air Force One.
More about Stephen Jay Schwartz...
Boulevard (Hayden Glass, #1) Beat (Hayden Glass, #2) Boulevard (Detective Hayden Glass Series) Making Story: Twenty-One Writers On How They Plot