Start by marking “The Yogurt Man Cometh” as Want to Read:
The Yogurt Man Cometh

The Yogurt Man Cometh

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Part travelogue, part memoir, The Yogurt Man Cometh is the story of Kevin Revolinski?s year-long adventure as an English teacher in Turkey. Revolinski relates in candid style his encounters in a foreign culture, all told with an open mind and a sense of humor. An enjoyable read for anyone who has spent time in Turkey or who plans to do so.
Published October 30th 2006 by Citlembik Publications (first published August 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Yogurt Man Cometh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yogurt Man Cometh

Jenny (Reading Envy)
I read this at the right stage of my interest in Turkey, otherwise I think I would have rated it lower. It isn't very well-written and there isn't a lot of depth in Kevin's observations, but I liked the overview of his experience teaching English in Ankara and the first-encounter descriptions of some of the tourist highlights. The most connected and honest he seems is the chapter about getting sick in Syria!

I was shocked, SHOCKED, that someone going to another country to teach English wouldn't f
Jamie Gough
Fantastic to see my memories of Turkey mirrored in this book. Made me nostalgic to return. Revolinski had many of the same issue that my husband and I encountered while teaching the students there.

Matt Gough
I had been postponing reading this book until I got nostalgic about Turkey. My wife read it right before me, making me want to read it, and my brother- and sister-in-law were traveling in Turkey and telling us of their adventures at this time too, so the timing seemed right. The book contains short snippets about a guy’s travels through Turkey, based in Ankara where he was teaching English. It was nice to hear that he experienced the same things we did, a tyrannical school director, insane kids ...more
Betule Sairafi
Would you sit down and listen to a stranger telling you about the year he spent teaching English in Turkey? Only if he were a really good storyteller, or if you were interested in Turkey, right?

Kevin Revolinski isn't a master talespinner, but he isn't a bad one, either. Just an average person telling you about his time abroad. I wish he'd have expanded on his trip to Egypt - all we got was that he'd gone - like he did on his trips to Cyprus and Syria.

The book ends much more powerfully than any o
Melinda
Kevin Revolinski spends a year teaching English in Turkey where he writes of his experiences. Employed by a private school located in Ankara he melodically tells of his first experience as a teacher, tries to manage classroom discipline, learns a foreign language, stabs at flirting with the opposite sex, travels throughout Turkey describing the locations vividly and introduces us to the many friendships made throughout his time abroad. Revolinski's style is funny, honest and affirms the fact Tur ...more
Suzanne
Hilarious and true description of an American muddling his way through a year of teaching English in Ankara. The author does a great job of describing the frustrations as well as the overwhelming hospitality and the joy of meeting and not always understanding new people in our lives.
Justin Tapp
Some friends of ours lent us a copy of The Yogurt Man Cometh: Tales of an American Teacher in Turkey as it's a humorous read about an American's crash course in living in Ankara and teaching at the same K-12 school where I taught. We highly recommend the book to anyone living in Ankara or planning to visit there.

Ankara was Revolinski's first real foray outside the U.S., he has since become a travel blogger. He captures the hilly slopes, the perils of public transit, and the difficulties of tryin
Asma Fedosia
A biographical narrative which slowly begins with an overseas teaching job in Ankara,Turkey, and moves into what happens during that year 1997-98 with literary quality. The book is honestly written. Revolinski doesn't cover up anything. He doesn't say that each school day went well, that he always felt fine, that he did not gravitate to drinking, that he behaved respectfully at all times. Nevertheless, charm rises to the surface like an amiable school boy innocently playing a prank. He gives eno ...more
Chad
This was a fun read because it brought back memories of my visit to Turkey in the early 90s. It was funny that I knew about the overplayed kiss kiss pop song by Tarkan from the belly dance world, not from my trip to Turkey. His description of Cappadoccia couldn't live up to how magical it really is there. I liked the book, but it felt like fluff compared the novel about Turkey that Erik Messal could/should write about his time there.
Lynette
Light reading and only remotely interesting if you've been to Turkey. Writing not very good but an interesting travelogue, especially since I read it while I was in Turkey.
Jen Holman
This is a fun read! More a series of anecdotes, a travel log than a cohesive story, but enjoyable all the same - even just for the little quirks and habits belonging only to Turkey that one gets to enjoy as familiar after having been there.
Jason Klimowicz
I spotted this book at a bookstore in Istanbul. What really caught my eye was the review from the Capital Times (a Madison, Wisconsin based newspaper) - since I'm from Madison. It turned out that the author is from Wisconsin and currently lives in Madison. I found the book entertaining and enjoyed his Wisconsinite lens on things (his lifelong Packer fan perspective on a Turkish soccer game). The book was also helpful in teaching things about Turkish society that I was observing while in Istanbul ...more
Kathy
I was interested in reading this book to learn about Kevin's experiences as a teacher in Turkey. As I am an English language teacher in Macedonia, I was hoping to read about his cultural and educational experiences. I was disappointed by the book since he didn't delve into much of the culture of Turkey and his classroom experiences didn't leave me with much inspiration or awe. If you are hoping to read a book to learn about a teacher's experiences in a foreign country, this is not it.
Asya
So far... fun, humorous, insightful tale of middle American guy in Turkey. Perfect for living out vicariously your escape fantasies. More upon completion. For those of you (all of 1 so far!) following my reviews, I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't be one of those I've-set-up-my-tension-and-now-can't-figure-out-for-the-fuck-of-me-how-to-resolve-it kind of books. It's nonfiction, so it shouldn't be, right?
Mena
I enjoyed reading this book - it was fun and easy. Plus as an American teacher in Turkey, I found many of his observations to be accurate and echoed thoughts I'd had myself. However, the author's style was rather self-congratulatory and therefore annoying. Still, I'll recommend this to my family and friends back home - it covers a lot of content in a quick package. Sort of the cliff's notes of my life!
Kara
I loved the content of this book, however, the style of the writer was very poor. I felt he needed a lot of work on word choice because he really liked to use adverbs A LOT! And after a while I couldnt stand the sound of myself reading in my head. The content was extremely interesting to me and I learned a bit of Turkish culture.
Miquixote
... to give an idea of what life is like in Turkey for an ex-pat. This is a book specifically for those who love living and/or long-term traveling in other countries and want to know the day-to-day trials and tribulations. If you like this, also read 'bright sun, strong tea' ..
John
Strikes exactly the right balance between giving the highlights of his year in Turkey, without getting bogged down, yet manages to touch on several serious issues (religion, women, etc.). Definitely recommended.
Soodaroo
May 22, 2007 Soodaroo rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Travelling?
A man went to Turkey, and write about there, that's all. but is has more than that; Life, and a sharp eyes to watch, all combined to built this book, good for reading, if you like to read it at all . . .
Erdem Karaadam
Critical and comperative view of turkish lifestyle, wrt that of american. A great read, funny and informing. Nothing is exaggerated, you really run into one these absurdities in everyday life.
Michelle
Don't expect this to be literature, but it is an interesting read to learn a bit about Turkey. His sense of timing and pace for storytelling is pretty painfully off, though.
Mar 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone traveling to Turkey
Recommended to Jennifer by: Dad
Getting ready to travel to Ankara Turkey and this book was recommended. Provides a decent overview of the people and places around Ankara.
Rustin
This book is not very exciting, but I liked it for the observations and the similarities between Turkey and Azerbaijan.
Cat
quick easy read , nice an d adventure filled
Beesanne Kurzum
Beesanne Kurzum is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kevin Revolinski is the Mad Traveler from Madison, Wisconsin. His articles and photography have appeared in Chicago Tribune, Sydney Morning Herald and Miami Herald. He has lived in Turkey, Panama, Guatemala and Italy and travels regularly for work. He is currently at work on 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Madison and a travel memoir about his time in Reggio Calabria, Italy. See his work at The Mad Tr ...more
More about Kevin Revolinski...
Wisconsin's Best Beer Guide: A Travel Companion 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Madison: Including Dane and Surrounding Counties Best Tent Camping: Wisconsin: Your Car-Camping Guide to Scenic Beauty, the Sounds of Nature, and an Escape from Civilization Michigan's Best Beer Guide Backroads & Byways of Wisconsin: Drives, Day Trips & Weekend Excursions

“...the bittersweet reminder of life's ephemeral pleasures, of opportunities that pass...These experiences would never be repeated and for that I was sad to see them go. But I also relished in the pricelessness of things so unique. That which can be duplicated loses its gold.” 5 likes
“We are the creators of our lives. We form them from whatever material presents itself.” 1 likes