Start by marking “Are You Tired and Wired?: Your Proven 30-Day Program for Overcoming Adrenal Fatigue and Feeling Fantastic Again” as Want to Read:

There is an epidemic of fatigue running rampant in our society. Every morning, hundreds of thousands of women wake up to find themselves exhausted, overwhelmed, and overstressed. Groggily turning off the alarm, they reach for coffee, soda, or some other promise of energy. They suffer through the day—irritable, on edge, forgetful, depressed, and craving sweets. And then, at ...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Hay House

To ask other readers questions about Are You Tired and Wired?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Tired and Wired?

Trudy
Apr 14, 2012 Trudy rated it liked it
Okay, I get it. I have to reduce stress, exercise moderately, eat right (no sugar, alcohol, or "white food"), and heal emotional stress from the past...so much more easily said than done.

Complaining aside, though, this book does seem to speak to a lot of the generalized problems that I find can decrease my quality of life. Will this be the springboard that finally helps me do what needs to be done? We shall see.
Michele
Aug 26, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful book which gets 4 stars instead of 3 because I think the fact that the author included an entire 30-day menu with the shopping lists and recipes bumps it up. If you wanted to take her 30-day eating program and follow it, you'd be able to do it really easily (assuming, of course, you like the things she suggests). The diet is very general and won't appeal to vegans, vegetarians, lactose-intolerant or those wanting to avoid soy but you could easily substitute some of those things out. An ...more
TheGeekyBlogger
Jan 28, 2012 TheGeekyBlogger rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-read
Received for review on NetGalley
Actual Rating 3.75

What I found helpful: The most helpful ideas in this book were centered around recognizing and handling stress in your life. I was impressed with the science behind the attributes of stress inducing issues with our bodies and health. There were some great tips on handling things from both an emotional and physical standpoint. I could see incorporating some of the smaller tips into your everyday life. There was some great eating strategies with re
Norma
Apr 25, 2011 Norma rated it really liked it
Adrenal Fatigue was already something that my doctor had told me that I had. So when I found myself with the opportunity to review this book, I snatched it up.

Many of the things in this book were exactly what my doctor had gone over with me. However, you know how it is during doctor’s visits. I know that I usually walk out of there only remembering about half of what he tells me.

So this book helped to hone in on what Dr. Abrams had said. Plus it gave me the added benefit of working through thin
Kathy
Apr 22, 2011 Kathy rated it it was ok
Not really anything new in this book.
I am a sucker for "Self Help" books, but then I don't really stick with the advice for my health.
The main points in this book are: Eat right, exercise--but don't overdo it, and take care of yourself.
On my Kindle a couple of the tables were so small (and unable to enlarge the font on these) that reading them was almost impossible.
Some of the odd things in this book are that she says to use a Gluten Free diet (for everyone) and also the emphasis she puts on get
Jamie
Jun 05, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
Many things in this book backed up what I had heard from therapist, as well as things I'd self diagnosed. I can tell you that I took SOME of the advice (taking astralagus and a multivitamin) and while I'm still sleeping constantly, I AM in a great mental state. It explained why I feel better after hatha yoga but am drawn to hot yoga, and many other things I identified with. Not sure I'm ready to get off the nerve pills, and its just too hard to follow this strict of a diet, but I am trying to ...more
Betsy
Jul 12, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
I picked this one up after being recently "diagnosed" with Adrenal Fatigue. I'm desperate for some help and while I'm working with a naturopath and getting supplements from her, I needed to know more about what's going on with me.

The case studies Pick uses could describe how I'm feeling to a T. I can't believe I never really thought something more than being overweight & lazy could be happening to me, but learning why I can't get up in the morning, why I have no energy all day long, why I'm
Jen
May 17, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
I found many useful ideas and tips in this read. Being a perfectionist type-A, try-to-do-everything person/Mom, it was a good reminder of things I already knew and Pick hit on some issues new to me, such as historical stress (and how that can come back and really make current stress much higher) and different therapies beyond "talk therapy" when it comes to figuring out how to handle issues. I was a bit disappointed she mentioned soy protein powder and tofu in several recipes, but overall, I ...more
Ariane
Nov 27, 2014 Ariane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Finished this a while back, it was SUPER GREAT. I even wrote a blog post about it! I wish I had read this book a few years ago, but back then it wouldn't have meant as much, so there you go. It was like reading exactly what's happened to me, and has helped fill in the picture of what happens with adrenal fatigue (all the details the doctor doesn't have time to tell you). It really drove home the causes and also everything you can do to help regain your help. Totally recommend it for anyone deali ...more
Casey
May 17, 2016 Casey rated it really liked it
I got some helpful tips from this book. Aerenal fatigue seems pretty much like stress to me, but regardless, there were some good tips for self-care. This book includes recipes, menues, vitamin/herbal supplements, massage-acupunture-reiki..., pampering ideas, different types of mental counseling. I was able to pick amd choose what I want to try for me.
Recommended as a good way to get ideas to improve your life, even if you don't have adrenal fatigue.
Donloree Hoffman
Aug 13, 2012 Donloree Hoffman rated it really liked it
I have suffered from nearly everything she lays out in the book for longer than you can imagine. After crashing and being diagnosed with Secondary Addision's, I had to start learning about adrenal issues without any help from the doctors in my city. I wish I had read this book 2 years ago and started on the path to healing sooner. Great information from a doctor. There is more to life and you CAN feel great...I promise.
Amy Young
Oct 28, 2014 Amy Young rated it it was amazing
Life changing. Provided the answer I'd been seeking for 15 years. Adrenal stress for women is rampant, particularly during and after menopause. The eating plan, shopping lists and recipes started me on a path to losing 30 pounds (18 months maintained and counting), and feeling better than I have in many years. If you are truly willing to understand what is preventing the healthy results you seek, and truly willing to make the necessary changes, this book is for you!
Brandi D'angelo
Jul 22, 2016 Brandi D'angelo rated it it was amazing
I read this book using Hoopla, a new app that let's you electronically check out library books. This book is very helpful for any woman in her 40's experiencing exhaustion and not sure what to try. She talks about adrenal function and offers a myriad of solutions. Highly recommend! Some things to get you started: Vit C, meditation, good sleep.
Gillian
Aug 02, 2016 Gillian rated it liked it
As if I don't feel enough stress (hence my problems with stress and fatigue and turning to this book in the first place), there is a lot to stress over on changing things in my life. I thought this was a good explanation and validation of symptoms I've had for a year, and the recipes are good, but I wasn't over the top impressed.
Chavonne
Nov 25, 2011 Chavonne rated it liked it
As I amble along in this health stuff, here is another book that was recommended. It's very helpful but did not teach much as I've been doing a lot of research myself already. The main idea is cut down on stress, exercise, eat right, SLEEP. I think all of these things help make me feel better and can help with not feeling so completely exhausted every day.
Andrea
Aug 31, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
A must-read if you feel constantly stressed, exhausted and unhealthy. Great information on adrenal function and the immune system in general and how it effects how we feel on a daily basis. Some really good recipes and advice on living a balanced life and also on how to soothe and heal your adrenal glands which play a big part in our metabolism.
Daisy
Sep 21, 2012 Daisy rated it it was amazing
I liked it so much, I went out and purchased all the foods it recommended and looked up the website, spoke to the counselors and joined the program. I felt like someone wrote this book about me, and I have to do something...I've been on the program for 4 days now...I'll give a better review after the 30 day mark to let you know if it works. I'm crossing my fingers!
Fiona Robson
Mar 04, 2013 Fiona Robson rated it it was ok
This was only vaguely interesting. A friend recommended something about adrenal glands, so I thought I would check this out. Took me a while to plough through, though, as I lost interest after a bit!
Susan
Aug 28, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Marcelle's book offers women good common sense advice on steps to take toward a healthier life style. The recipes and step-by-step meal program are really helpful, and she does a great job explaining just what adrenal dysfunction is and how to figure out how it's affecting you.
Royale
Mar 10, 2015 Royale rated it it was ok
Rehash of Core Balance Diet. If you've read that, don't bother with this. If not, some good info for you.
Lari
May 25, 2014 Lari rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Great information. But like any meal/diet plan, so unrealistic for someone who doesn't cook and works 6am to 7pm 5 to 6 days a week.
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Renee Bouris
Renee Bouris rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Elise
Elise rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2013
Katee
Katee rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2013
Anna rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Are You Tired and Wired? 1 5 Apr 14, 2012 06:53PM
  • The Self-Compassion Diet: A Step-By-Step Program to Lose Weight with Loving-Kindness
  • The New ME Diet: Eat More, Work Out Less, and Actually Lose Weight While You Rest
  • The Perfect 10 Diet
  • The Art of Extreme Self-Care: Transform Your Life One Month at a Time
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Christmas Cheer: Stories about the Love, Inspiration, and Joy of Christmas
  • Fit and Fabulous in 15 Minutes
  • Are You My Guru?: How Medicine, Meditation & Madonna Saved My Life
  • The Best Women's Travel Writing, Volume 8: True Stories from Around the World
  • Fat Chance: Losing the Weight, Gaining My Worth
  • The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes
  • Stories Behind the Great Traditions of Christmas
  • Eating the Moment: 141 Mindful Practices to Overcome Overeating One Meal at a Time
  • Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World
  • The Paleo Coach: Expert Advice for Extraordinary Health, Sustainable Fat Loss, and an incredible body
  • Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol
  • NYC Ballet Workout