Start by marking “On Wings of the Morning” as Want to Read:
On Wings of the Morning

On Wings of the Morning (Dillon, Oklahoma #2)

Marie Bostwick delivers a captivating novel of soul mates discovering each other as the country faces its greatest challenge. . .

Morgan Glennon's destiny points straight up into Oklahoma's clear, blue sky. It's been that way since he was four years old, imagining the famous flier father he's never met. Morgan leaves college to enlist as a Navy pilot, and his whole world s
Published November 1st 2007 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about On Wings of the Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Wings of the Morning

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakAll the Light We Cannot See by Anthony DoerrThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
WWII Historic Fiction
711 books — 669 voters
Flygirl by Sherri L. SmithSilver Wings, Santiago Blue by Janet DaileyWings by Karl FriedrichThe Woman in the Wing by Jean SheldonWinning My Wings by Marion Stegeman Hodgson
WASPs
30 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Tara Chevrestt
This was a nice story. It is the sequel to Fields Of Gold. I highly recommend one reads that one first to understand Morgan and where he comes from. I liked this novel a lot more tho mainly because it has a lady pilot in it, whereas its predecessor was about Charles Lindbergh and a farm girl.

This book does the back and forth thing but it is not done in a confusing manner. One chapter tells Georgia's side of the story and then next chapter tells us what is going on in Morgan's mind. Georgia is a
Mary Lynn
Nov 07, 2008 Mary Lynn rated it really liked it

This book intrigued me because it is set in the World War II era which is a current interest of mine. The hero of the story has loved planes and flying since he was a small boy, and his family saved enough money to send him to flight school. The heroine of the story wanted to do something useful for the war effort, so she went to school to train to be a ferry pilot, beating incredible odds to succeed. Nicely put together and with enough description to satisfy my "need to know" about the war in t
Mary
Aug 28, 2016 Mary added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I thought this was an exceptionally well-written novel. The author, Marie Bostwick accomplished something that very few others have - I cried several times throughout the book. The tears came from every emotional aspect of the human condition, happiness, sadness, frustration, joy, etc . . . Beautifully done!

I cannot recommend this book and author enough. Brilliant! I will definitely read more of Ms Bostwick's books.
Dianne
Jun 30, 2009 Dianne rated it it was ok
An OK book, but nothing special. It was nice to see some stories from "Fields of Gold" from the perspective of the son as opposed to the mother. I liked learning a little bit about the WASPs (Women Pilots that worked for the army) from World War II. Perhaps I'll look up some non fiction books about this group of women and their contributions to the war effort. This book seemed a little contrived, but not totally impossible.
Staci
Nov 19, 2015 Staci rated it it was ok
I loved Marie Bostwick's "Fields of Gold" and was looking forward to loving this book as well. Unfortunately Ms. Bostwick decided to take a decent story and turn it into a sermon. The preaching in this novel was difficult to endure and entirely out of context most of the time. It is irritating when a book is touted as historical fiction but is actually thinly disguised Christian fiction. You've lost a reader, Ms. Bostwick.
Amy
Mar 05, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written story. I've enjoyed it a lot. Again this is a book I picked up on the New shelf at the library and I've not been disappointed. It love the love stories, the flying obsessions and the quilting ties in this book. I love how the two characters come together at all the right times and how things work out. I also like how the author credits God for these things. It really was a joy to read this.
Zippy
Jun 21, 2013 Zippy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, public-library
I enjoyed this book more than the Cobbled Court series. It was interesting to me that the writing style seemed so different between the two. The story didn't feel as drawn out as some of the Cobbled Court books (I found myself skimming a lot while reading those).
I enjoyed the characters and the story kept me interested. I liked the perspective on the women pilots group, WASP. I learned a few new things which is always good.
Nancy Wilkinson
Apr 26, 2015 Nancy Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Started reading this yesterday is a lighter alternative to some of the heavier, political books I've been reading lately (Ayaan Hirsi Ali) and was blown away. Read all yesterday afternoon and all day today and couldn't put it down. Interesting from a historical standpoint about women pilots during WWII, combined with a riveting love story. A charming book that will keep you reading straight through to the last page.
Charlie
Dec 22, 2008 Charlie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Good story of 2 people and their relationship,embedded with World War II aviation history. The 2 main characters are a fighter pilot and a WASP pilot. In addition, the story includes the struggle many people have with applying a church background to become a faith they can live by in a real life, and it reads like a realistic story.
Trish Boese
Jan 26, 2016 Trish Boese rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
4* A good book, not extraordinary but pretty good. The story follows 2 pilots, a man and a woman. Each of them have to deal with heartache in their lives during the war. It was interesting to read about the women pilots and their obstacles in WWII. They did not fly in combat but served at home in transport and test-pilot roles.
Elle
Aug 29, 2010 Elle rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is written from two different perspective and I like the innocent quality of the book. I thought it was well written but reading from those two perspectives could be a little annoying. They didn't gel as seemingly as I would have liked.

It's about two pilots whose lives interchange while serving in the second world war.
Diane Mueller
Oct 06, 2015 Diane Mueller rated it really liked it
I enjoy historical fiction and although this is basically a love story which drags on way to long the redeeming factors was the love story was between an pilot fighting in the Pacific during WWII and a WAC who flew planes, trained pilots and could even repair a plane if needed. Throw in Charles Lindbergh and you have a fairly interesting story.
Nivette
Oct 21, 2010 Nivette rated it really liked it
A nice, little book that was pretty much free from any of the trash usually thrown into the latest novels. Christian undertones/themes, but nothing overt. Found out there's a book that takes places before this, so I might read that, too.
Angela
Mar 02, 2011 Angela rated it it was ok
It's a light story, but I liked the history of the WASP-women pilots in WWII. There are a couple of passages that are beautiful in the defense of faith and other virtues, but overall it seemed contrived and a little too predictable.
Priscilla
Apr 01, 2016 Priscilla rated it really liked it
Sequel to Fields of Gold. I hope it is a bit better than the first book in this series of 2. I have finally read this and it is a LOT better than the first one. Got into the Character of Gerogia. She was a hoot ! and well worth the read.
Shannon
Jun 02, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Overall the book was just ok. I liked it a lot better in the begining when it was mostly focused on flying. Toward the end I found the characters more annoying, they were always lying to each other which created a lot of problems.
Stephany
Sep 12, 2009 Stephany rated it really liked it
This book was very very hard to follow in the beginning. But i figured out why -- there is a book before it!!! Must read the book before it to totally understand this book!!! But, read this book eventually too!
Carolyn
Mar 10, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Another winner! Loved this historical fiction novel that covered the women pilots of WW II. Well written, good character development, and wonderful romance.
Gin Tadvick
Apr 16, 2012 Gin Tadvick rated it it was amazing
I loved this sequel to Fields of Gold. WOuld enjoy reading again - but I already swapped it! Oops!
Gina
Feb 06, 2009 Gina rated it really liked it
Excellent read. I could not put this down. Very strong characters and the way the author switches back and forth between them keeps you hooked.
Darcie
Darcie rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2011
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Nicole Mendes
Nicole Mendes rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2016
Carolyn Hiatt
Carolyn Hiatt rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Dee Long
Dee Long rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Ellyn Zinsmeister
Ellyn Zinsmeister rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2013
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • When the Lights Go On Again (Campion Family, #5)
  • Slacks and Calluses: Our Summer in a Bomber Factory
  • Wings: A Novel of World War II Flygirls
  • Arsenic and Old Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #3)
  • The Beauty Chorus
  • Velva Jean Learns to Fly (Velva Jean, #2)
  • Skinny Boy: A Young Man's Battle and Triumph Over Anorexia
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Civil War Soldier!: A War You'd Rather Not Fight
  • The Wishing Garden
  • Laughter in the Rain
  • Too Darn Hot
  • Louise's Dilemma (Louise Pearlie, #3)
  • The Christmas Quilt : A Novel
Marie Bostwick is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of uplifting historical and contemporary fiction. She lives in the state of Connecticut and travels fequently to sign books, speak to reading groups, and meet her readers.
More about Marie Bostwick...

Dillon, Oklahoma (2 books)
  • Fields Of Gold