The Myth of the Lost Cause and Civil War History

The Myth of the Lost Cause and Civil War History

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Was the Confederacy doomed from the start in its struggle against the superior might of the Union? Did its forces fight heroically against all odds for the cause of states' rights? In reality, these suggestions are an elaborate and intentional effort on the part of Southerners to rationalize the secession and the war itself. Unfortunately, skillful propagandists have been...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Indiana University Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of the Lost Cause and Civil War History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of the Lost Cause and Civil War History

Sean Chick
Some essays are good, others are quite awful, espcially Nolan's pitiful contribution that betrays his hatred of almost all things Southern. What the books fails to do is explain the attraction, growth, and ramifications of Lost Cause mythology. I also get the feeling that the abolitionist myth is the basis of this work. Since I don't like either myth my feelings on this book are ambivalent.
Jj Kwashnak
Good essays looking at how our memory of the Civil War was formed, and controlled, by a handful of people in the ante-bellum period.
Josh Liller
This is a collection of nine essays relating to The Lost Cause.

Topics covered:
-James Longstreet
-U.S. Grant
-LaSalle Corbell Pickett
-Lost Cause Religion

I thought the best essays were those about Early, Longstreet, and Grant. The Pickett essay was interesting, but could have used a little more information about how far LaSalle's romanticized claims w...more
Don
As many other books, this is EDITED by Gary Gallagher. He's great at writing overviews and editing, but this is a 10 essays his various aspects of the Lost Cause, and some of the chapters hit home way better than others.

I found two parts of it to be terrific -- Gallagher's introduction, and his chapter on Jubal Early. Also strong were Brooks Simpson's chapter on Grant, and Jeffrey D. Wert's chapter on Longstreet.

The other six chapters were fine for browsing through. The point of the book is made...more
Steve
The essays in this provide a good introduction to the topic and to the specific angles, which was helpful for me, but because the book doesn't go into very great depth on the topic, I'm now looking forward to other books that do.
Alex Peery
Alex Peery marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Nour
Nour marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Eric_W
Eric_W marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Abu Idris
Abu Idris marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Ben Rankin
Ben Rankin marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Jelle
Jelle marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Gill Eastland
Gill Eastland marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Jim
Jim added it
Dec 30, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Wyatt
Wyatt marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gary W. Gallagher, the John L. Nau III Professor of History at the University of Virginia, is the author or editor of many books in the field of Civil War history, including The Confederate War; Causes Won, Lost, and Forgotten: How Hollywood and Popular Art Shape What We Know about the Civil War; and The Union War.

More about Gary W. Gallagher...
The Confederate War: How Popular Will, Nationalism, and Military Strategy Could Not Stave Off Defeat The Union War Causes Won, Lost, and Forgotten: How Hollywood & Popular Art Shape What We Know about the Civil War The Wilderness Campaign The First Day at Gettysburg: Essays on Confederate and Union Leadership