Wolf Blood

Wolf Blood

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  38 reviews
A Celtic warrior girl is held captive and enslaved by a rival tribe. When fever takes her only friend, she knows she must escape, but she runs straight into the path of two Roman foot soldiers. Thinking they will kill a warrior instantly, the girl disguises herself as a beggar and asks to share their fire. Using her gift as a seer she discovers that one of the soldiers is...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published July 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf Blood

Bright Young Things by Anna GodbersenRevolution by Jennifer DonnellyAnastasia's Secret by Susanne DunlapVixen by Jillian LarkinA Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
New YA historical fiction in 2010-2011
86th out of 102 books — 426 voters
Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead GeorgeWhite Fang by Jack LondonFantastic Mr. Fox by Roald DahlThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonLittle Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman
Foxes and Wolves
292nd out of 380 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Jade Walker
Original review at http://inkscratchers.blogspot.com/

I have to admit that I was sent this by Bloomsbury at the very beginning of this month and I've been putting off reading it since then, I've been picking it up, reading a few pages and then putting it down, not because it's a bad book but because I just haven't really been absorbed and because I kept getting other books that I wanted to read instead. Today I sat down and told myself that I was not reading anything else until I finished Wolf B...more
Manda Scott
Jul 01, 2011 Manda Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adults and their owners (anyone who likes Rosemary Sutcliff)
Once in a while, a book comes along that blows me out of the water. "Wolf Blood", a young adult novel by NM Browne is one of those, tho' it shouldn't be surprising because I devoured each of Browne's 'Warrior' series in a couple of sittings and loved them: this is children's writing at its best: literate, engaging, straightforward, yet with characters that come alive in the early pages and grow throughout.

WOLF BLOOD is a werewolf novel - if it's for teens at the moment, it seems it has to have e...more
TheBookAddictedGirl
Jun 30, 2011 TheBookAddictedGirl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone Who Loves A Well Created, Beautiful World Full of Magic And History
Recommended to TheBookAddictedGirl by: Bloomsbury
A slave girl, former warrior and current seeress called Trista escapes from the tribe that captured her during war. Disguising herself, she flees, knowing that the “shining men” will destroy the settlement before the night is over. As she runs, she meets two Roman soldiers, one of whom is Morcant, a shapeshifter. Staying with him could mean her own death, for she knows little about the wolfmen: only that when Morcant changes, the softness leaves his eyes. But travelling without him is just as da...more
Passant
the book started slowly and was confusing at first however soon enough i started enjoying it and couldn't put it down.
until now i m still wondering on giving it a 3 or 4 stars since i found the end open to many unanswered questions and didn't satisfy me, but other than that i would have given it a 5 stars the writing was brilliant and the adventure breathtaking!
Selah Bell
This book had an okay story, but it just didn't seem to flow right, and it could have been much better written. And the ending seemed very insecure, like the author didn't really know what they were doing. As I said, it could have been written better.
Kat
I liked Wolf Blood. The characters behaved in ways that made sense to me which I really liked(very few book characters make sense to me). I liked the setting and the manner of the descriptions was that I could hold a picture of what was happening in my mind and pick up the picture without many differences when I started reading it after I put it down. I did not care for the way it was a version of the the King Arthur story and that a couple of the plot points kept recurring. Some of the religion...more
Sarah Mayor Cox
Set in 1st Century Britain it's the story of Trista a Celtic warrior girl who has second sight. She is captured by a rival tribe and forced into slavery. She escapes, but runs right into two Roman soldiers. One of the soldiers, Morcant, is half Roman and half Celtic – he’s realy caught between two cultures and it turns out that he is a shape shifter – a wolf man.

Trista and Morcant team up and Trista really helps Morcant come to terms with his true nature. It is a different take on werewolf myths...more
Stephanie
I know that one shouldn’t judge books by their covers, but I wasn’t especially enamoured of this one when I received it (funnily enough, I did buy Browne’s Shadow Web, below, a few years ago based purely on its cover, but haven’t yet read it). From the title to the staid fantasy art, it screams shallow George RR Martin knock-off, but truly, it’s something else entirely.

Wolf Blood may be a werewolf novel, but it’s one that’s a brave, welcome departure from the sexy beasts stuff lining the shelves...more
Rosina
I'm not even overly into Romans or Celts or Werewolves, but reading the synopsis of this book, I was like 'I MUST OWN YOU.' I am so glad I followed my gut. This was brilliant and has instantly made it's way into my favourites. From page one, I was sucked into this and I never wanted to stop.

For all you Katniss lovers out there, I think you'll adore Trista like I did. She was an amazing heroine. She's a trained warrior, so of course she's a bad ass. Similarly to Katniss, survival is her number o...more
Molly
Mar 31, 2012 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Molly by: Mostly Reading YA
Review can be read at: http://mostlyreadingya.blogspot.com/2...

Wolf Blood promises a lot and I was really looking forward to getting stuck in, but I was also apprehensive about whether it could deliver. N. M. Browne has written many wonderful books and is well versed in Ancient history and myths, so I was confident that she could produce something truly great.

However it did take me a little while to get into Wolf Blood and it wasn’t until about half way through that I began to find it difficult...more
Jacey
It's taken me a while to get to read Nicky Browne's 2011 book from Bloomsbury, Wolf Blood. I held off while I was revising my magic pirate book because I knew she had a wolf shapechanger in her story and I didn't want to be unconsciously influenced when writing my wolf shapechanger. With the current popularity of werewolf books in urban fantasy it's hugely refreshing to find a werewolf that's very different from all the hunky, hairy beasties as seen in the Kitty books and even Patricia Briggs' e...more
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
I’v been picking up such good books lately and this book was no exception, i quiet enjoyed the characters, the main character was fantastic and had some interesting problems that she struggled to get over. Though i couldn’t help but feel sorry for Trista when it came to Morcant, he clearly choose the wolf but i suppose you cant control who you fall for.

The two different POV were great, and gave the book more insight and depth.

The fighting and brutality in this book was incredible, i like that t...more
Shauna Tyndall
Wolf Blood tells the tale of Trista,a young girl warrior, and Morcant, a Roman shapeshifter. Truth be told, it's more Trista's story than Morcant's. While I liked the idea behind it, I was a bit disappointed by it. I didn't really care about the main characters, and the one I did like, King Caratacus, was sadly underused.

I didn't really understand the politics of the story. The wars between all the tribes, the Celts and the Romans weren't very well explained and I couldn't figure out what side...more
FrozenbySloth
To be quite honest, this is more mature than most adult books I read recently. I was completely blown away by the simplicity, consistency and dignity of the writing.
Julz
This is the journey of Trista, a Celtic warrior girl and also a seeress and Morcant, a Roman soldier who is also a shape shifter during the Roman invasion of Britain. I really enjoyed this story and the way that it progressed. I found myself engrossed by the world created by N.M.Browne but I felt that this book was leading to more than the book presented at the end. If there is a second book that ties up what happens to the orphaned baby, the king(a great character which was continually presente...more
Elly
I really liked this book and it was awesome but I hated that when Morcant was his wolf he had a mate. I just thought that was really unfair on Trista, especially seeing as Morcant was a shape-shifter and not an actual wolf. And because I get really into the books I read, I got really jealous of the she-wolf and just wanted someone to kill her (sorry to anyone who liked her). If there is a second book coming, I think N.M. Browne should get rid of the she-wolf and the pups. And also maybe find a w...more
Ann-Kristin
Its as if ive been reading a book that was only 60% done. Both with the editing and the ending. I did not like the language, especially the language used when Morcant was a wolf. (Example "man stink")
And the whole deal with the she-wolf was to silly. Theres a lack of background story and explanations throughout the book which makes me give a damn about the characters and it makes me confused as to which side every fighter is on and why. I didnt like the puns either.. "sheepish as a wolf can look...more
Teri Terry
I struggled for a while what to rate this and what to say, but think it comes down to three words: gory but good.
I decided to read this as it is up for the Sussex Amazing Book Award next week, but had misgivings: I'm not generally into historical, and I'm not good with gore, and this one has plenty of gruesome battle scenes.
Yet....I kept reading it. I found the story and characters really gripping, and loved her take on werewolves. I was also really intrigued by the Druids.
Is there a book 2 on...more
Hannah Lilly Morrison
really exciting and graphic
Danelle
I did really like this book, though it was confusing and I couldn't understand some parts.
The story line was interesting and it set a whole new perspective for me about werewolves.
And I liked the strong female role, someone who could take care of herself in a fight, and didn't take any kind of sh** from anyone. It was nice, refreshing if you may, from the female characters in teen books now. How they are depended on other people too much.
Ariel
Romans and keltic tribes fight over tribal lands, but the book focuses on a roman with keltic heritge and a escaped keltic slave who formerly was a worrior/seeress.
Kat
The great thing about Celtic history is the difficulty in separating it from Celtic myth, and this historical/mythological account of the Celtic-Roman war that took place in Wales 45-50 A.D is both. Told from the perspectives of a warrior girl who is also a seeress and a soldier who is also a shapeshifter, the novel blends historical fact with Celtic myth into a compelling story of survival, determination, and hope.
JoJo
This was a great adventure to go on. This book is filled with strong well written characters and amazing world building. At times I had trouble getting into it only because I had to stop and start it so much with work. I think it would be a book best read in one or two sittings. I really enjoyed the magic that took place in the story. And the cover art, I just love it.
Kim
Feb 27, 2012 Kim added it
I just didn't finish. I always try in my best of my ability to give every book a chance, and to reach the last page come hell or high water, but I don't know why my determination wavered for me in this book. It isn't as bad as some books I've been patient with, but something just didn't connect with me. Maybe I'll come back for it later? Hopefully.
Tasneem
I adored this book. It was so well written. Roman Britain has never been so mysterious or so well explained from the tribal aspect. I just loved the characterisation and the majesty of the scenery, the mythical aspect of old Britain and how it is being lost through assimilation and the forgetting of the past.
Adele Broadbent

Set in the First Century AD, the story is told in two viewpoints – one of Trista, a warrior girl who has visions of the future, and one of Morcant – as a man, and a wolf. The language of this story draws the reader into a world of swords, spears and shields – and powerful forces that drive them.
Lishesque
Really enjoyed it. Couldn't put it down after picking it up randomly at work during a reading period, though I feel the first half of the book is much better written than the last half of the book. I hope there's a sequel.
Claire
I liked it. It's always good to read a story set in my favourite time and place. Only qualm I had was that it ended rather abruptly. Is this a series (or going to be one)?
Aussie Readers: Giveaway: Wolf Blood by NM Browne (ends 7 November) 2 13 Nov 06, 2011 10:31PM
  • Tyme's End
  • Shadow of the Hawk (Wereworld, #3)
  • Mister Creecher
  • Thin Air (Thin Air Saga, #1)
  • Ferryman
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • Predators of Darkness (Darkness Series #1)
  • Angel
  • Kill All Enemies
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • Fever (Parallon Trilogy, #1)
  • Stones for My Father
  • Honor Bound
  • X Marks the Spot (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #1)
  • Earthfall
  • House Trap
  • Black Heart Blue
  • Hunting Human (Prime Legacy, #1)
I was born in Burnley, Lancs (England) and lived not too far from Pendle Hill - the haunt of witches and all manner of strangeness. This may have had an effect on my imagination.

My father was a painter and teacher and my mother was a teacher too. Both were Welsh and this has probably had an impact on my imagination too. The whole family headed for Wales every holiday so that even now Wales is inex...more
More about N.M. Browne...
Warriors of Alavna (Warriors, #1) Basilisk Shadow Web Warriors of Camlann (Warriors #2) Hunted