Start by marking “Horse Sense for People: The Man Who Listens to Horses Talks to People” as Want to Read:
Horse Sense for People: The Man Who Listens to Horses Talks to People

Horse Sense for People: The Man Who Listens to Horses Talks to People

This is Monty Roberts's long-awaited sequel to The Man Who Listens to Horses. In this fascinating book, Monty Roberts shows us how to use the "Join-Up" technique-his amazing method for persuading a wild horse to accept a saddle, bridle, and rider-as the model for how best to strengthen human relationships. Full of memorable encounters with horses and humans, Horse Sense fo ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Horse Sense for People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horse Sense for People

Ruby
Feb 02, 2009 Ruby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One bad part in this book nearly ruined the whole book. So this book was good! There is so much everyone can learn from this book. Violence is never the answer. So many animals are suffering from being trained wrong and abuse. He has inspired people not just with horses but with how we treat children. It to me seems so weird for people to ever be scared of a horse they are so timid even though they are big. He explains that horses are flight animals. (like my Ruby) She has never been aggressive. ...more
Drew Johnson
Monty should stick to horses...in join up; eyes to eyes. look for ear. licking. Turn away; wrist and fingers closed. eyes on the ground in front of feet. emotions to reason ratio in society is to high; horses advance/retreat. Fear is antecedent of violence and ignorance is antecedent to fear. trim tab concept; only need to motivate 5 percent to turn the ship; animals smell fear.
Rena Sherwood
Monty Roberts should stick to writing about horses. The book's best parts were only about horses. I am a domestic abuse survivor, so I know that much of the techniques described here for people would never have worked on my abuser. This is one of those ho-hum self-help books that you may have read ten years ago but forgot mostly about until you start to read it again. Not much about horses, sadly. Skip it.

description
Gabriel Dobrev
Sep 19, 2016 Gabriel Dobrev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Monty Roberts makes a convincing case against violence and while his arguments are anecdotal they are very convincing. The truly interesting part is his wealth of experience living a life without violence: the challenges and solutions he came up with. Some examples of his failures would have been also welcome.
If you're a parent, a manager or simply interested in improving your interactions with humans and animals alike - get the book and enjoy a wonderful read. It's worth reading only for the mu
Maureen
Sep 05, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and found it very intersting and after reading this book. When being around a horse it makes life a whole big dffferance to me. I can read what the horses it thinking and talk to him and he can read me too. As before I could not do this at all. I would have to say thank you for writing an awesome book and I have learned quite a bit from this book also. I read this book last year. It took me till this pass march to finsih it Great read too.
Jun 15, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book very much, except for one entry he makes that is not needed. You will know what I mean if you read the book. I learned from this book. And I will read his other books. I am especially anxious to watch the video/c.d (whatever form it is in) "Shyboy" the story of his first mustang to "Join Up".
Susan
Jul 03, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book would probably be more interesting if I hadn't read Monty's first book, his memoir. This is more of a repeat that doesn't meet my expectations of sharing how Monty's strategies with horses can be used as we interact as people. Darn.
Stephen
Mar 09, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the book convinced me that violence is not the answer. It has effected me in how I will interact with people. I enjoyed this book.
Lisa
Aug 15, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
oops. I'm actually reading "The Man Who Listens to Horses". I don't know how I got this one on here.
Kimberly
Oct 20, 2009 Kimberly is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, but I seem to have miss placed it. I think maybe I lent it to Holly and forgot. mmm.....
Melissa
Jun 07, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not very useful as described but still as a story of the man, not bad. I had just hoped for more from it.
Shelly Cundiff
Dec 11, 2010 Shelly Cundiff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an excellent read. Monty Roberts uses the gentleness he applies to training horses to the complexities of guiding people. Good book to have in your library.
Ruth
Sep 05, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you have never read about this guy - you should! it is an excellent read, about the language of horses - equss - and what people can learn from it.
Anna Claire
Aug 05, 2011 Anna Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps Monty should take up coaching parents too, his philosphy around horsemanship is enlightened.
Ileana
Ileana rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Pamela D Nottingham
Pamela D Nottingham rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Gloria
Gloria rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Oliver Rixon
Oliver Rixon rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2007
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2009
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Marina
Marina rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Bryan
Bryan rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2008
Vi
Vi rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2008
Dean W-W
Dean W-W rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
TJ Jeffrey
TJ Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2011
Twecfan
Twecfan rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
  • A Good Horse Is Never a Bad Color: Tales of Training through Communication and Trust
  • Horses For Dummies
  • How to Think Like a Horse: Essential Insights for Understanding Equine Behavior and Building an Effective Partnership with Your Horse
  • Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II: Inspirational Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion
  • Horse, Follow Closely: Native American Horsemanship
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • She Flies Without Wings: How Horses Touch a Woman's Soul
  • Zen and the Art of Falling in Love
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • For Love of a Horse (Jinny, #1)
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Made for Each Other: The Biology of the Human-Animal Bond (Merloyd Lawrence Books)
  • Complete Training of Horse and Rider in the Principles of Classical Horsemanship: In the Principles of Classical Horsemanship
  • Touch Me (Awesome Foursome, #3)
  • Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free
He wrote that by personally observing horses in the wild, he learned to "listen" to their non-verbal "language"; that when horses understood that they can trust you, they will decide to be with you. Roberts registered as his term for "hooking on", the phrase "Join~Up", in which a trainer negotiates with an untamed horse to form a voluntary relationship with him
More about Monty Roberts...