Start by marking “Baltimore: Il tenace soldatino di stagno e il vampiro” as Want to Read:
Baltimore: Il tenace soldatino di stagno e il vampiro

Baltimore: Il tenace soldatino di stagno e il vampiro (Baltimore novel)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,411 ratings  ·  175 reviews
Prima guerra mondiale, fronte delle Ardenne. Il capitano Henry Baltimore, unico superstite dì una battaglia infernale, gravemente ferito, risveglia l'ira di un essere mostruoso, un vampiro. E il mondo cambia per sempre: una pestilenza che neppure la morte è in grado di fermare si diffonde in tutta Europa e solo Baltimore, controfigura tragica del tenace soldatino con una g ...more
Published 2009 by Mondadori (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Baltimore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baltimore

Michael
Sep 13, 2007 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hellboy fans, mignola fans, gothic literature fans
I picked this up when I received an email from Barnes & Noble recommending that I pre-order it since I had purchased Hellboy books in the past. At first I had thought it a novel for which Mignola was providing illustrations, but returning to the email repeatedly in the following weeks, I found it featured 150 illustrations by Mignola, and promptly ordered it. Only when it arrived did I discover that it is in fact co-written by Golden and Mignola, with 150 illustrations of varying sizes (from ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire uses the story within a story narrative very successfully. Three of Lord Baltimore's close acquaintances, Doctor Rose, Demetrius Aischros, and Childress all meet at a pub, awaiting Baltimore. They each tell their story about how they came to meet Baltimore and when they became aware of the unnatural evil that exists in the world around them. Interspersed is the narrative about how Henry, Lord Baltimore, came to be the formidable vampire hu ...more
R.
When I saw this today, I...well, I licked my chops.

Hmmmm. An interesting take on the ManBearPig legend, doctor.

Hmmmm. An interesting take on Sesame Street, sailor.

Hmmmm. An interesting take on whatever the fuck that was, soldier.

Hmmmm. Has it really been twelve years since From Dusk 'til Dawn was at a theater near you? Because it's still fresh in my mind and, ah, fresh in the mind of the authors: people held captive - fighting for their lives - in the lair of the vampires until, suddenly, th
The Flooze
Vampires. Forgotten gods. Cannons shook them in their resting places. Spilled blood awakened them. The ravages and chaos of war brought them forth.

But they were sleepwalking creatures, content to exist as scavengers feeding on the flesh and blood of the dead and the dying.

Until Baltimore.

Humanity itself is to blame for the ills that come to call, but Baltimore alone gave the malevolent force its purpose and drive.

And so for Lord Baltimore the true battle begins.
________

As much as this is Balt
Travis
This was a very beautifully crafted book. I found out about this book through Wizard magazine and with Mike Mignola, from Hell Boy, writing with Christopher Golden I was intrigued to read this novel.

Baltimore blends the gritty reality, of what I presumed, is World War I horror with fantasy elements of a world beyond our world masterfully. You completely feel that the evils the characters talk about in this tale could of happened in this dark era of our history. Taking inspiration and themes from
Michael
I've always wanted to be able to sit in a book-lined study sipping brandy, or in an out of the way tavern with a group of grizzled old men swapping stories of the supernatural that occurred earlier in our lives. I may be well on my way towards being old and grizzled, but the only scary stories I have involve high school and the single evening I spent bussing tables at a Ponderosa in Ellisville, MO. For now, I'll just have to be content reading books like Baltimore.

The highlight for me was the s
Yael
Comic artist Mike Mignola(Hellboy) and novelist Christopher Golden (The Myth Hunters) have created a unique work of gothic storytelling. Baltimore is a lyrical atmospheric novel of the supernatural -- and an appalling allegory of the nature of war. Ares is a bloodthirsty God, a divine vampire Who drinks the blood of nations, and Baltimore's richly illustrated, unsparing portrait of that God makes the case that war is indeed Hell better than all the polemics on that point have ever done.

When Lord
Mary
Jan 19, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: horror, historical
On a cold autumn night, under a black sky leached of starlight and absent the moon, Captain Henry Baltimore clutches his rifle and stares across the dark abyss of the battlefield, and knows in his heart that these are the torture fields of Hell, and damnation awaits mere steps ahead.

That is the opening paragraph in Baltimore, and if it doesn't make you want to immediately go out and buy the book and read it all in one sitting, then there's probably no hope for you.

There really isn't anything tha
Antonio
Mike Mignola tiene mucho que ver en esta historia, pero no tanto como propio Christopher Golden, un autor que es capaz de imitar el estilo recargado de las novelas del romántico más oscuro. Los dibujos de Mignola acompañan perfectamente esta historia de odio y venganza, a veces demasiado recargada y en otras ocasiones, demasiado fácil.
Eric
Without giving too much away, this book has a pattern to the narrative. I'm a sucker for complex narratives with patterns. So right away, that's a plus. But when you add the actual content, and the storytelling, I have to say it's awesome. The action scenes got a little overdrawn, but they weren't clumsy like a lot of action scenes I've read in lesser books. Mignola's art really adds to the feel of the story.

Even if you think vampires are overrated, like I do, this book is really about folktales
Joseph
I read the first collected volume of Baltimore he series and I heard that this book had come before the series so I ordered it. I have to say this is a really great story. Mignola and golden craft a dark, personal story with this book. Henry Baltimore, the man who the story is named after, is shown to have gone through complete hell and the man he wants was has been destroyed. The vampires depicted here are not the kind that are sexy and romanitc, but are monsters who want to destroy and kill. T ...more
Todd
Pretty fun and unique story of vampire infection. Told from the point of 3 friends meeting up with a fourth friend who has drawn them together in an evil dark town for purpose unknown.
I've always liked Mike Mignola as an artist, and for his original ideas..(hellboy, his takes on batman so forth.)
So it's nice to have his twist on a vampire tale as well.
Christopher Golden, does a good job with the story, the tales are interesting and suspenseful.
Jonathan
A wonderful Gothic Horror novel. Mignola's illustrations add a certain creepiness to an already creepy novel.

My copy has a different cover and may have added content, like a collection of Mignola sketches and the original Steadfast Tin Solder tale.

Well worth seeking out.
Blake Kandzer
I've been a Mignola fan since he was drawing Alpha Flight in the late 80's. Since then I've read almost everything he's wrote or illustrated for Hellboy. Baltimore was an amazing book about Vampires that I think any fan of the genre would appreciate.
Blake
One of my favorite Vampire stories, well written, almost like reading a play you're watching at the same time.
Luciana Darce
Para compensar a decepção que foi Drácula: o morto-vivo - um dos livros que menos gostei esse ano (sério, tem coisas nele que são simplesmente muito ridículas...) - decidi tirar da estante outro volume com vampiros que estava à espera e que me tinha sido muito bem recomendado. Aliás, eu provavelmente teria passado batida por Baltimore e o Vampiro não fosse a empolgação com que a Débora falou dele...

O livro é algo entre romance e quadrinho - Mignola traz sua experiência com HQ's para a dinâmica n
Kristopher
Shawn
One of the very best horror novels I've read in quite some time. It feels like a much older book and uses Baltimore's friends gathering together fireside awaiting their friends arrival and telling their personal tales of how they came to know the dark and terrifying things in the world to flesh out not only their characters, but the character of Lord Baltimore as well. You are witness to Lord Baltimore's horrific evolution from mortal man to the terror of the underworld in brutal detail.

The way
Marsten
Un muy interessante libro de vampiros escrito al estilo gótico de antaño a pesar de ser contemporáneo.

Destaca la inclusión de las singulares ilustraciones en blanco y negro de uno de los escritores, Mike Mignola, el creador del famoso personaje de còmic Hellboy. Su grafismo tan peculiar encaja a la perfección con el ambiente oscuro de la historia. La forma de narrar, los ambientes, los tipos de personajes y monstruos que aparecen tienen una clara referencia a su famosa obra.

Es un libro diferente
Branduno
I have a friend who believes the chief hope for the world lies in the coming of our vampire overlords. A lot of the problems facing the environment stem from the natural inability of mortals to see far beyond their own lives. Global warming won't end the world today, or more to the point this fiscal year, so who cares? But the secret vampire world government has a vested interest in the long-term sustainability of our ecosystem, as well as in assuring the continued health and survival of the hum ...more
jeremiah
On free comic book day this year, Dark Horse had an issue of a series by Mike Mignola: Baltimore. I liked it. The alternate history I could gather from the (very short) story seemed interesting, so I decided to pick this up.

This is everything I love about Mignola's storytelling: taking fairy tales and legends and twisting them till they're oh so much darker. At the same time, Mignola treats these fairy tales as if they truly exist here in the real world and are entirely plausible. These are the
Peyton
This may be the most frightening depiction of vampires I have ever read. Brutal, bloody, and extravagantly violent, Baltimore is a top-notch story of good versus evil.

The mechanics of the book, however, are askew: the writing is lumpy and the pace is awkward. The story shifts through at least five seperate narrators, but they all read alike; there is not a distinct voice amongst them. Characterization is virtually non-existent, with each character being mainly composed of a single quirk of perso
Tripp
Baltimore is a gothic tale about vampires sweeping the world during World War One and the one man who the vampires fear, Lord Baltimore. I had somehow gotten into my head that this was a graphic novel which it isn't. There are illustrations, but there is one in every five pages, not on every page.

You might think the book we be like Kim Newman's vampire stories. The feel though is very different. Newman's books read more like an alternate history. They take a question, what would it be like if va
Giovanni Faga
Mike Mignola e' l'autore di Hellboy, e tutti coloro che amano il fumetto dovrebbero leggere almeno le prime tre storie di Hellboy. Punto. Il libro e' stato scritto con Chritopher Golden, che non so chi sia ma non e' che mi sia venuta una voglia irrefrenabile di saperlo. Ora, si potrebbe dire che il libro e' dedicato agli amanti della narrativa horror, perche' e' costruito con seguendo tutti gli stilemi del genere. E' il suo maggior difetto? Probabilemente si.
Lo stratagemma narrativo e' quello d
Heath Lowrance
In the blood-soaked Ardennes Forest during WWI, Lord Henry Baltimore witnesses horrifying vampiric creatures feasting on the dead. From that moment on, he is marked. After the vampire plague affects him on a brutally personal level, Baltimore makes it his mission in life to seek out and destroy the vampires-- especially the Red King, the monster who took everything from him.

Many years later, three men-- friends of Lord Baltimore-- are drawn together in a creepy tavern to exchange their stories,
Jose Vera
Mike Mignola (creador de Hellboy) y Christopher Gold (autor de varias historias de terror) se unen para entregarnos una historia de vampiros. Pero es una historia de vampiros a la antigua, una historia gotica y oscura, donde el vampiro es la representación de la maldad y los humanos sólo somos para ellos algo menos que insectos.

El libro tiene una organización muy peculiar; esta dividido según la estructura de una misa de réquiem, hace referencias inmediatas a la historia del soldadito de plomo d
Chris
This was all sorts of good stuff. And it was, honestly, not what I was expecting. When I saw Mignola's name attached, I simply figured it was a graphic novel and was a bit surprised to see all those words staring back at me. Of course, that didn't deter me from reading this thing, and I'm glad I didn't.

What amounts to be a throwback to horror stories of old--Frankenstein, Dracula, etc.--is a wonderfully written, amazingly toned, and gorgeously illustrated novel. While I kind of wanted more of a
Garrett
This is a book that I might have liked more because it's a cool, semi-illustrated hard-bound that looks great on a bookshelf than because I actually enjoyed reading it. The writing style is in the gothic tradition and sometimes overtly owes a lot to Poe (Red Death, anybody), but since the quality of the writing is only average it just comes off as excessive more than it comes off as proper homage.

As the plot goes, it's pretty slow. It sounds great: Henry Baltimore meets a Vampire and goes to war
Apple84 Wylie
Aug 06, 2008 Apple84 Wylie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hellboy & MIgnola fans.
Dan
Rating is actually a 3.5
This was hands down the best vampire story I've read in a long time. I recently read I Am Legend, and that was good but it was more a science fiction story than a good, old-fashioned Gothic horror story... and that's exactly what Baltimore was. Owing a large debt to Victorian era tales of the supernatural (e.g. Dracula), Baltimore revives an ancient evil. Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden's vampires are anything but tragic, whiny, misunderstood cry-babies. Here are true
A Vampire story to die for! 2 24 Aug 28, 2012 11:34AM
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Alabaster: Wolves
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 3 (B.P.R.D., #6-8)
  • Hellboy: On Earth as it is in Hell
  • Under the Knife (Witch Doctor, #1)
  • Hellboy: Unnatural Selection
  • The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination
  • The Marquis Volume 1: Inferno
  • The Fugue (Fall of Cthulhu, #1)
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers
  • Echoes
  • Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Volume 1: Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer
  • Once Upon a Time (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Petrograd
  • Blood and Other Cravings: Original Stories of Vampires and Vampirism by Today's Greatest Writers of Dark Fiction
  • American Vampire, Vol. 4
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • Hellboy: The God Machine
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)