Start by marking “After Many Days: Tales of Time Passed” as Want to Read:
After Many Days: Tales of Time Passed

After Many Days: Tales of Time Passed

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  741 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
L.M. Montgomery is beloved by millions of readers around the wrold as the creator of the irresistible Anne Of Green Gables books. Now, in this collection of eighteen rediscovered short stories, L.M. Montgomery explores the theme of postponement and the poignancy of "time passed." Many characters in these fine stories at last have a chance "after many days," to reconcile wi ...more
Published February 1st 1992 by Starfire (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about After Many Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Many Days

Kerith
Jan 24, 2011 Kerith rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
We know Montgomery for her stories about Anne and Emily, but she also wrote many, many stories for the magazines of her day. Rea Wilmshurst has collected these into themed paperbacks for us fans, and this one is stories about long-awaited reunions and love returning and waiting patiently. Some will sound redundant but there are gems -- like the "Romance of Jedidiah" and other standouts.
Salma
Jan 15, 2009 Salma rated it really liked it
Shelves: lm-montgomery
Sweet tales I loved as a kid- I tried to read some of them as an adult, but now they seem a bit saccharine and contrived. Doesn't matter, because LM Montgomery never gets less than 4 stars from me for making me love books.
Laurence
May 18, 2015 Laurence rated it really liked it
Lucy Maud Montgomery is amazing. That's all you need to know.

This collection of short stories contains many adorable stories I wish I had read long ago. My favourites were The Bride Roses, The Romance of Jedediah, For a Dream's Sake, The Price, An Unpremeditated Ceremony and Between the Hill and the Valley. I loved te descriptions in some of them, especially in The Man Who Forgot, and I wished I knew several of the characters, which are both some of Montgomery's best abilities. My only problem
Elinor  Loredan
Jan 04, 2013 Elinor Loredan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l-m-montgomery, 2011
What a great book! There isn't a story in it that I don't like, although I'm a little ambivalent about 'Between the Hill and the Valley'. Something about it seemed mawkish and even silly.

My favorite stories in this collection are The Bride Roses, The Romance of Jedediah, Elizabeth's Child, and The Price.

The Price is so terribly romantic-not as in marriage and romance, but as in the image of Christine shutting herself up alone in the big house for years, doing penance for something she believed
Daniel Kukwa
It's a bit repetitive; all the stories have the same theme of unrequited love, and many of the scenarios read like an LM Montgomery "greatest hits" package. But if you can get passed the similarities, this is a satisfying taste of old-fashioned optimism and romance, from a tortured literary genius who could only wish her real life was as lovely as her fiction.
Abby
Nov 28, 2014 Abby rated it liked it
Sentimental stories from the early 20th century--very Montgomery
Amy
Feb 16, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Yikes! Those late 19th-early 20th century PE Islanders can teach the world about holding grudges! Montgomery sprinkled that idea here and there in the Anne series, but it was practically on every page of this story collection. That makes me wonder if these stories were originally intended to be published together. At any rate, it made for some disheartening reading. Also, there is quite a repetition of plot events and phrasing from the Anne books. I think the next time I reread LMM’s work, I’ll ...more
Heather
Oct 23, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
In this collection of short stories I really like 'An Unpremeditated Ceremony', and 'Elizabeth's Child'.

I really like L.M.Montgomery's Short Story Collections, but there are a few too many sad ones in this Collection to get 5 stars. Too many tales of stubborn people and years of lost love and dreams because of one argument and foolish pride. If you can learn from a story book, don't let years pass before you resolve issues.....let bygones be and make friends again.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
These stories are primarily ones that never saw the light of day after being published in magazines in Montgomery's lifetime. There's a reason for that. I love reading more my L.M. Montgomery, but these are not my favorites. Maybe because they're grouped together by theme? The stories get very repetitive. And some of the stories showed up as scenes in her books. Fans of Montgomery should read these, but don't pick this up expecting to fall in love with it.
Delicious Strawberry
This is another collection of themed short stories by L.M. Montgomery. I've read pretty much all of her other collections, and like the rest, this one is a hit and miss. Some of the stories are rather poignant and/or heartwarming, but others come across as just cheesy/cliched (even taking into consideration the time period in which these stories happened) Still, if you're a fan of the author, give this collection a try.
Anna
Jun 26, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
A new L.M.M. book for me...it was sweet, as usual of her books, but it was a collection of short stories--each "chapter" a different tale and all had to do with "time passed." Revenge, heartbreak, old loves, family estrangements...I think it was just too much in one book. :P Every single one had a happy ending, which was nice, but it was just...I don't know. Not my favourite book of hers.
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
For some reason I thought this would visit characters who may have been a little minor, but who I knew and loved from the Green Gables series. I was disappointed. I was also reminded why I took a break from Montgomery's other books .... she has three stories, and simply rotates names through the same plot.
Kate S
Jul 17, 2013 Kate S rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, 2013
This was a quaint group of short stories to read while falling asleep at night and between some much headier material.
HannahBeth
Sep 05, 2007 HannahBeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All L.M. Montgomery fans!
This is a really good collection of several short stories penned by Montgomery. A very delightful read!
Amy Turner
Aug 25, 2013 Amy Turner rated it really liked it
Short stories by one of my favorite authors. Some are just potboilers, but some are very good.
Maureen E
Oct 10, 2011 Maureen E rated it liked it
Short stories. It’s not my favorite collection but it was to hand. [Dec. 2009]
Zeta T.
Mar 27, 2012 Zeta T. rated it really liked it
Short story collection. Some good, some "meh", some wonderful, some scary.
Angela
Apr 26, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
I have been re-reading this book and really enjoying every bit.
Lorien
Lorien marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Misti
Misti rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
E
E rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Amber
Amber added it
Aug 21, 2016
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Nikii
Nikii marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Ayanna sharee brown
Ayanna sharee brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • The Family at Misrule (Woolcots, #2)
  • Work: A Story of Experience
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Heidi's Children
  • Christopher Robin Gives Pooh a Party (Winnie-the-Pooh story books)
  • With Love From Booky (Booky, #2)
  • The Haunted Attic (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #2)
  • Trouble At Wild River (Adventures of the Northwoods #5)
  • The House Of Thirty Cats
  • The Belonging Place
  • L.M. Montgomery
  • The Lamp at Noon and Other Stories
  • When God Laughs and Other Stories
  • Twenty Pageants Later
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...