Start by marking “The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  38,227 ratings  ·  4,198 reviews
Every girl who had taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn.

It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims

Published April 19th 2011 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Goddess Test, please sign up.

Anita In my opinion there was nothing explicit about the book. It included some kissing scenes, but even they weren't anything too dramatic
Jaijai There are some that has the same background (Hades and Persephone), like Abandon by Meg Cabot. But there are a lot of Greek Mythology based YA books…moreThere are some that has the same background (Hades and Persephone), like Abandon by Meg Cabot. But there are a lot of Greek Mythology based YA books out there. Just go ahead and see this for example. https://www.goodreads.com/book/simila...(less)
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
18th out of 722 books — 3,124 voters
Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
45th out of 712 books — 4,370 voters

More lists with this book...

Vinaya
Dear Ms. Carter,

Since you appear to unable or unwilling to stretch your research skills so far as to google the Greek gods, I have prepared for you a small primer, in the hopes that your future endeavours will not gratuitously and flagrantly denude one of the oldest mythologies in the world. Following is a (very short) account of some of the major Olympian gods who apparently play a role in your “book”.

Zeus: The ruler of the gods. That means what he says goes. This is a pantheon of the gods, no
Kat Kennedy
*This ARC was provided for me by Harlequin and no money was exchanged.*

I requested this galley because, after reading the blurb, I immediately decided that the concept was awesome and that this book would be made of win. I tried to rationalize with myself that it might not be the fantastic story I was imagining, but it still had to be good, right? RIGHT?

Of course the concept of Vampire has already been taken, murdered, chopped into little pieces, jellified and poured into a modern, PC mould of s
Krystle
Lina
[Warning: Profanity]

What is this?
Seriously?
What did I just read? Because it's supposed to be a retelling of the myth of Hades/Persephone. Instead I got some emo god with no incest, no monsters or three headed Cerberus.

I can forgive errors if the material is good over all. So I can deal with the mythical flaws in Xena/Hercules and Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Disney's Hercules. However, this piece completely bastardizes the source material by turning into a cheap romance, that lacks any
Morgan F
[image error]
Wrath- Zeus (or should I say Walter) shooting a lightning bolt at some poor soul

description
Greed, (and a little wrath) - Prometheus, the guy Zeus chained to a rock for all eternity because he gave fire to man

description
Pride - The Parthenon in Athens, of which Athena and Poseidon fought tooth and nail to be the patron of the city

Lust......do I need to show a montage of all the women, other goddesses, and the nymphs that some of the gods impregnated? (Not that the other goddesses, such as Aphrodite, the g
Cory
Apr 19, 2011 Cory added it
This explains a lot.

Anna Pravdica

Here's the thing about this book: it was decent enough. Not nearly as good as what I was hoping for, but decent.

Now, I have been in the midst of a passionate love affair with Greek mythology since the 2nd grade. I am perpetually in the throes of a burning passion, you may say. I love it all - it's like a soap opera times 100. Greek mythology contains some of the most entertaining and delightfully sinful stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading, telling, reenacting....Anyway, did
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
This was a truly terrible book, but I feel so bad giving it such a low rating. It's like I just kicked a puppy. A really stupid puppy that's wet my bed for the 47th time, but still...kicking a puppy.

I've read a lot of unrealistic heroines in my day, but Kate tops the list. She's not all that terrible: I'll give her some points. She is kind, caring, with a soft spot bigger and more tender than a newborn's head. The first sentence of the story gives us a preview of her character:
"I spent my eighte
Steph Su
Um…did I read a different book than many others? After reading rave reviews all over Goodreads and the Internet, I was expecting something swooningly romantic and highly inventive. Instead, THE GODDESS TEST read like a first draft of sorts, full of character clichés and a meandering plot that takes the excitement out of, well, “excitement.”

I stopped reading about a quarter of the way into the book because, at that point, still nothing pertaining to the main plot had occurred. It’s actually quite
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Monica!
I'd read some reviews of this book which made me think that it could quite possibly be the worst thing ever written. But surely, I said to myself, it can't be that bad. They're exaggerating for comedic effect!

No, friends. No they are not. This is a terrible book.

It's not that it's terribly written. Because it's not--the author is actually a very clear, engaging writer. Or that it has, on the surface, a terrible plot. Because it doesn't--girl marries god of the Underworld to save her dying mother
Ceilidh
I love Greek mythology. I love Greek tragedies. I love the gods and goddesses and what they all represent and the timeless stories that accompany them. As with all people who love something, I am weary with re-imaginings and modern day updates of these tales. Some can be brilliant and really update the text to fit with the modern era, others can fail miserably. I was holding out hope for Carter’s debut (with a sequel in the works) since I have always been fascinated by the Hades and Persephone m ...more
Kelly
I...just realized I never posted this here.

I was excited about The Goddess Test from the moment I first heard about it. The myth of Persephone and Hades has always held a certain fascination for me, and I enjoy reading adaptations of it and seeing what different authors do with the story. In Aimée Carter’s version, Persephone left Hades some time ago and Hades needs a new queen to help him rule the underworld. The queen candidates must first pass a series of tests, however, and someone keeps mur
Savina M.
It's official. Aimee Carter is now on my list of Authors who are fucking idiots didn't do enough research, right next to the Casts and dear Alexandra Adornetto.

Seriously. How can someone fuck up Greek Mythology that bad? Even my twelve-year-old cousin, whose only knowledge of Greek Mythology is from The Lightning Thief, knows that there are twelve Olympians, not thirteen, and mortals can't dole out punishments to gods.

Okay, I've calmed down a little. Now on to the rest of the review.

Summary
Kath
Lisa
Aimee Carter is a debut author (and only 24 years old!) and her Goddess Test series is definitely one to watch for (planning on being a three book series...so far; GODDESS INTERRUPTED will follow in February 2012).

To start with, I felt abashed that this book made me cry so easily! The book opens with protagonist Kate and a rundown of her role as caregiver for her dying mom. Carter's description of this heart-wrenching process is mature and well-written.

This book also pays homage to one of my f
Aj the Ravenous Reader
I always, always love it when Greek Mythological deities and characters get resurrected, recreated and put in present settings. Goddess Test is another novel that sets an enjoyably creative take on Greek mythology. I also love how this book uniquely centers its story on one of the least liked Greek gods-of course you know him- Hades. I'm reading the sequel in the near but not definite future. Lol. ^^
The Goddess Test is the first installment in Aimee Carter's young adult, fantasy trilogy titled Goddess Test. I've had this title on my TBR list for quite a while but never picked it up until it coincidentally became BOTM on one of the goodreads groups I participate in. Don't you love it when you get a little nudge to knock a book off that long list!

Overall, I liked The Goddess Test. I enjoy mythology, and despite the title (duh!), I didn't expect the book to incorporate so much of the subject s
~Tina~
Kate Winters has always had her mother by her side, but now she's dying and Kate is driving to Eden, her mothers childhood home, for her last request. Kate only wants to take care of her mother and spend as much time with her before she goes, but her mother insists she go to school. So Kate reluctantly goes, but is quite content to stay invisible. She's not here to make friends, she's here to take care of her mother.
Soon she meets Henry. Lonely, haunted, and claims to be the god of the Underworl
April
THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN.

Plot:
This was so much fun! It follows a girl who has to undertake a series of tests in order to become the Queen of the Underworld and marry Henry AKA Hades. She thinks she’s a normal girl looking after her sick mother until weird things start happening and in order to save a life, she has to spend 6 months every year with Henry in his mansion, that is, if she succeeds in the tests and isn’t killed first!
I honestly couldn’t put this book down because it was so intriguing
Nic
The Goddess Test is an awesome debut. It was a hypnotic yet comfortable read where the pages just flew by.

It is such an eloquently written story that I am surprised that this is Aimee Carter's debut novel. It is just a seamless read and a really remarkable debut. And the premises was incredible. I loved the way the mythology was weaved into the plot. It was creative, unique and easy to follow. And for a book that is part of a series is has a completely satisfying ending. YAY!

Kate, the female pro
Sita Sargeant
I’ve actually been meaning to review this for a while. But I guess I just didn’t know hoe. So, after much care and consideration I have put together this review.

I picked this book up because…. I have no idea why I picked this book up. I mean it has gotten some really, really bad reviews. But I guess my subconscious mind wanted me to read it. So I bought it along with Glow and The Girl in the Steel Corset. Out of the three this was the first that I read, I picked it up first and I read it first.
Amber
What an incredible debut from author Aimee Carter!! The Goddess Test was absolutely amazing!!! I’ve always had a love for Greek Mythology and Aimee has just set the precedence for Greek Mythology lovers.

The story is about a girl named Kate and her mother who is deathly ill. Kate’s mother wants to go back to her hometown where she was born and raised to die. Kate has taken care of her mother for the past four years and that’s all she knows. She doesn’t have a life outside of home and school. Kat
Saniya
Hmmph... Is it just me, who wanted to read this book so bad just because of the beautiful cover and the amazing plot, or did this also happened to everybody else? *bigtimesigh*
I was counting the days for when this book is going to be released. But why, why Lord does this quote, "Do NOT judge a book by its cover" beat me every single time?
I mean, okay. Covers were always my weak spot, but the plot? Even the blurb betrayed me in this one. The theme of this book looked so exciting, I nearly shouted
Kristi
I love Greek mythology! I'm a fan of any sort of mythology and folklore, but Greek mythology is one of my favorites! I especially love when an author recreates a myth, spinning an old favorite into something new. There are so many great novels featuring Greek mythology and The Goddess Test has quickly become one of my favorites!

My favorite book despite their subject matter are ones that have great characters, a captivating story like and are well written. The Goddess Test possesses all of those
Colette
The Goddess Test is a romantic fantasy book that has a good balance between the two, also adding in a healthy dose of mystery and action. Anyone who loves Greek mythology will likely enjoy The Goddess Test. Carter was successful at having the traditional Greek myths mixed with her own fictional touches, though sometimes I felt that the two could have been blended together a bit better. Overall 4/5 stars, and I am looking forward to reading the sequel.
Donita Luz
This review is also available in my Blog

DNF at 28%

I know that this was supposed to be a "Fresh take on the Greek Myths", but I just can't buy this, if this is how a fresh take on the Greek Myth is, I'll rather stick to the original Myth. Thank you.

itried

I really did try you know. You see, I wanted to read this book for a long time seeing that a lot of my friends here in GR have liked it and most of them gave this a 5 star rating, also, I'am a sucker for Greek Gods stories ever since the Percy Jackson
Nicola
I really did not know what to expect from this book. I was drawn in by the lovely cover and the description definitely intrigued me. The reviews I'd read hadn't made it look too promising though so I definitely went into it with a cautious mind and didn't expect too much from it. I was seriously delighted to find how much I loved it! I actually adored it from the start and knew it was my kind of thing after the first few chapters.

I am not that into Greek mythology, in general. I know bits and fi
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
As an audiobook, the story was told beautifully – the problem is: the story was awful.

From the synopsis I was intrigued by a plot which looked so promising, and it could have been with the intricate references to Greek mythology but the characters ruined it. I couldn’t stand a single one, and even after discovering their true identities (something I predicted from the beginning) they continued to annoy the hell out of me.

Kate was by far the worst. It largely fell down to the fact that she blamed
Lauren
Initial Thoughts After Finishing:

Absolutely AMAZING! Unique, romantic, and full of fantastic characters, this book was brilliant in more than ways than one way to say the least. My only compliant? I have to wait until next year to read the sequel. :(

Official Review:

Every year comes the books that completely blow me away in the best way possible, and Aimee Carter's The Goddess Test is one of those books. Unique, romantic, and full of fantastic characters, this book was brilliant in more ways than
AriaTheBookNerd
I was really hooked with this book. I read it for like 2 days!!! ^_^
The story was not as complicated as I thought it would be.
I loved how Aimee Carter shed light to Greek Mythology. I know most people won't agree with me but in my opinion it was very creative. :p
I really can't wait for the second book.
Henry and Kate are really wonderful characters.
I loved it!
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
  • Abandon (Abandon, #1)
  • Persephone (Daughters of Zeus #1)
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • Destined (Destined, #1)
  • Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1)
  • Betrayal (The Descendants, #1)
  • Tempest Rising (Tempest, #1)
  • Carrier of the Mark (Carrier, #1)
  • Spellbound (Spellbound, #1)
  • Radiant Darkness
  • Daimon (Covenant, #0.5)
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
  • Ripple
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • Fury (The Fury Trilogy, #1)
  • Oppression (Children of the Gods, #1)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
Aimée Carter was born and raised in Michigan, where she currently resides. Her first novel for young adults, THE GODDESS TEST, will be published by Harlequin Teen on April 19th, 2011. The sequel, GODDESS INTERRUPTED, will follow in January 2012.

Find her on Twitter at @aimee_carter.
More about Aimee Carter...

Goddess Test (4 books)
  • Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)
  • The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5)
  • The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)
Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2) The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3) The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test, #1.5) The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5) Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)

“I care," he said in a trembling voice. "I care so much that I do not know how to tell you without it seeming inconsequential compared to how I feel. Even if I am distant at times and seem as if I do not want to be with you, it is only because this scares me, too.” 1059 likes
“Maybe you'll win when hell freezes over."

He raised an eyebrow.

"That could be easily arranged.”
308 likes