Start by marking “The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  33,496 ratings  ·  3,856 reviews
Every girl who had taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn.

It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims

Published April 19th 2011 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Goddess Test, please sign up.

Anita In my opinion there was nothing explicit about the book. It included some kissing scenes, but even they weren't anything too dramatic
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
19th out of 717 books — 3,095 voters
Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
45th out of 638 books — 4,265 voters

More lists with this book...

Vinaya
Dear Ms. Carter,

Since you appear to unable or unwilling to stretch your research skills so far as to google the Greek gods, I have prepared for you a small primer, in the hopes that your future endeavours will not gratuitously and flagrantly denude one of the oldest mythologies in the world. Following is a (very short) account of some of the major Olympian gods who apparently play a role in your “book”.

Zeus: The ruler of the gods. That means what he says goes. This is a pantheon of the gods, no
Kat Kennedy
*This ARC was provided for me by Harlequin and no money was exchanged.*

I requested this galley because, after reading the blurb, I immediately decided that the concept was awesome and that this book would be made of win. I tried to rationalize with myself that it might not be the fantastic story I was imagining, but it still had to be good, right? RIGHT?

Of course the concept of Vampire has already been taken, murdered, chopped into little pieces, jellified and poured into a modern, PC mould of s
Krystle
Warning: There are some vulgarities in here because I’m a very vulgar person. Look away if your sensitive eyes can’t handle it.

Man, getting through this book was like having my wisdom teeth pulled out with no lidocaine. Terrible, I tell ya.

But anyway, let’s get on to the review, shall we? The Goddess Test has an awesome, awesome premise. Girl going through tests to become the bride of Hades? HECK YEAH, GIVE ME SOME OF THAT! And it started that way but shortly after immediately crashed and smolde
Lina
[Warning: Profanity]

What is this?
Seriously?
What did I just read? Because it's supposed to be a retelling of the myth of Hades/Persephone. Instead I got some emo god with no incest, no monsters or three headed Cerberus.

I can forgive errors if the material is good over all. So I can deal with the mythical flaws in Xena/Hercules and Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Disney's Hercules. However, this piece completely bastardizes the source material by turning into a cheap romance, that lacks any
Morgan F
[image error]
Wrath- Zeus (or should I say Walter) shooting a lightning bolt at some poor soul

description
Greed, (and a little wrath) - Prometheus, the guy Zeus chained to a rock for all eternity because he gave fire to man

description
Pride - The Parthenon in Athens, of which Athena and Poseidon fought tooth and nail to be the patron of the city

Lust......do I need to show a montage of all the women, other goddesses, and the nymphs that some of the gods impregnated? (Not that the other goddesses, such as Aphrodite, the g
Cory
Apr 19, 2011 Cory added it
This explains a lot.

Anna

Here's the thing about this book: it was decent enough. Not nearly as good as what I was hoping for, but decent.

Now, I have been in the midst of a passionate love affair with Greek mythology since the 2nd grade. I am perpetually in the throes of a burning passion, you may say. I love it all - it's like a soap opera times 100. Greek mythology contains some of the most entertaining and delightfully sinful stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading, telling, reenacting....Anyway, did
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
This was a truly terrible book, but I feel so bad giving it such a low rating. It's like I just kicked a puppy. A really stupid puppy that's wet my bed for the 47th time, but still...kicking a puppy.

I've read a lot of unrealistic heroines in my day, but Kate tops the list. She's not all that terrible: I'll give her some points. She is kind, caring, with a soft spot bigger and more tender than a newborn's head. The first sentence of the story gives us a preview of her character:
"I spent my eighte
Steph Su
Um…did I read a different book than many others? After reading rave reviews all over Goodreads and the Internet, I was expecting something swooningly romantic and highly inventive. Instead, THE GODDESS TEST read like a first draft of sorts, full of character clichés and a meandering plot that takes the excitement out of, well, “excitement.”

I stopped reading about a quarter of the way into the book because, at that point, still nothing pertaining to the main plot had occurred. It’s actually quite
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Monica!
I'd read some reviews of this book which made me think that it could quite possibly be the worst thing ever written. But surely, I said to myself, it can't be that bad. They're exaggerating for comedic effect!

No, friends. No they are not. This is a terrible book.

It's not that it's terribly written. Because it's not--the author is actually a very clear, engaging writer. Or that it has, on the surface, a terrible plot. Because it doesn't--girl marries god of the Underworld to save her dying mother
Kelly
I...just realized I never posted this here.

I was excited about The Goddess Test from the moment I first heard about it. The myth of Persephone and Hades has always held a certain fascination for me, and I enjoy reading adaptations of it and seeing what different authors do with the story. In Aimée Carter’s version, Persephone left Hades some time ago and Hades needs a new queen to help him rule the underworld. The queen candidates must first pass a series of tests, however, and someone keeps mur
Ceilidh
I love Greek mythology. I love Greek tragedies. I love the gods and goddesses and what they all represent and the timeless stories that accompany them. As with all people who love something, I am weary with re-imaginings and modern day updates of these tales. Some can be brilliant and really update the text to fit with the modern era, others can fail miserably. I was holding out hope for Carter’s debut (with a sequel in the works) since I have always been fascinated by the Hades and Persephone m ...more
~Tina~
Kate Winters has always had her mother by her side, but now she's dying and Kate is driving to Eden, her mothers childhood home, for her last request. Kate only wants to take care of her mother and spend as much time with her before she goes, but her mother insists she go to school. So Kate reluctantly goes, but is quite content to stay invisible. She's not here to make friends, she's here to take care of her mother.
Soon she meets Henry. Lonely, haunted, and claims to be the god of the Underworl
Lisa
Aimee Carter is a debut author (and only 24 years old!) and her Goddess Test series is definitely one to watch for (planning on being a three book series...so far; GODDESS INTERRUPTED will follow in February 2012).

To start with, I felt abashed that this book made me cry so easily! The book opens with protagonist Kate and a rundown of her role as caregiver for her dying mom. Carter's description of this heart-wrenching process is mature and well-written.

This book also pays homage to one of my f
Sita Sargeant
I’ve actually been meaning to review this for a while. But I guess I just didn’t know hoe. So, after much care and consideration I have put together this review.

I picked this book up because…. I have no idea why I picked this book up. I mean it has gotten some really, really bad reviews. But I guess my subconscious mind wanted me to read it. So I bought it along with Glow and The Girl in the Steel Corset. Out of the three this was the first that I read, I picked it up first and I read it first.
Amber
What an incredible debut from author Aimee Carter!! The Goddess Test was absolutely amazing!!! I’ve always had a love for Greek Mythology and Aimee has just set the precedence for Greek Mythology lovers.

The story is about a girl named Kate and her mother who is deathly ill. Kate’s mother wants to go back to her hometown where she was born and raised to die. Kate has taken care of her mother for the past four years and that’s all she knows. She doesn’t have a life outside of home and school. Kat
Nic
The Goddess Test is an awesome debut. It was a hypnotic yet comfortable read where the pages just flew by.

It is such an eloquently written story that I am surprised that this is Aimee Carter's debut novel. It is just a seamless read and a really remarkable debut. And the premises was incredible. I loved the way the mythology was weaved into the plot. It was creative, unique and easy to follow. And for a book that is part of a series is has a completely satisfying ending. YAY!

Kate, the female pro
Kristi
I love Greek mythology! I'm a fan of any sort of mythology and folklore, but Greek mythology is one of my favorites! I especially love when an author recreates a myth, spinning an old favorite into something new. There are so many great novels featuring Greek mythology and The Goddess Test has quickly become one of my favorites!

My favorite book despite their subject matter are ones that have great characters, a captivating story like and are well written. The Goddess Test possesses all of those
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
Hmmph... Is it just me, who wanted to read this book so bad, just because of the beautiful cover and the amazing plot, or did this also happened to everybody else?! Big time *Sigh*
I was counting the days for when this book is going to be released. But why, WHY Lord does this quote "Do NOT judge a book by its cover" beats me every single time, when I hope a new book is going to be good because of the cover. Well, the cover has always fooled me but the plot? The theme of this book looked so exciti
Savina M.
It's official. Aimee Carter is now on my list of Authors who are fucking idiots didn't do enough research, right next to the Casts and dear Alexandra Adornetto.

Seriously. How can someone fuck up Greek Mythology that bad? Even my twelve-year-old cousin, whose only knowledge of Greek Mythology is from The Lightning Thief, knows that there are twelve Olympians, not thirteen, and mortals can't dole out punishments to gods.

Okay, I've calmed down a little. Now on to the rest of the review.

Summary
Kath
Nicola
I really did not know what to expect from this book. I was drawn in by the lovely cover and the description definitely intrigued me. The reviews I'd read hadn't made it look too promising though so I definitely went into it with a cautious mind and didn't expect too much from it. I was seriously delighted to find how much I loved it! I actually adored it from the start and knew it was my kind of thing after the first few chapters.

I am not that into Greek mythology, in general. I know bits and fi
Parvathy
I am a big fan of mythology. Call me crazy but the story of Persephone and Hades is my favorite and always thought that this story was worth looking in to. So to come across a YA book which is kind of based on this story you can imagine my excitement. This book had every potential to be a good read if it was not for the fact that the author did not do her research properly. Usually certain flaws like this can be overlooked and can be attributed to the author's creativity or imagination but even ...more
Lauren
Initial Thoughts After Finishing:

Absolutely AMAZING! Unique, romantic, and full of fantastic characters, this book was brilliant in more than ways than one way to say the least. My only compliant? I have to wait until next year to read the sequel. :(

Official Review:

Every year comes the books that completely blow me away in the best way possible, and Aimee Carter's The Goddess Test is one of those books. Unique, romantic, and full of fantastic characters, this book was brilliant in more ways than
Crystal
What an unexpected surprise. I thought I might like this book, but I am very surprised at just how much I ended up liking it. The story has so many twists and turns that I never saw coming and with all the young adult books out there I thought I would have seen at least a few of the surprises coming but I can honestly say that the only one I figured out was the main villian and that is only one of the many surprises that Carter throws in this book.
The story centers around Kate, an 18 year old wh
Lauren DeStefano
So I started reading earlier this evening, while it was all cozy and rainy. See, I have this amazing skylight in my cathedral ceiling, and I have my couch positioned under it in just such a way that, when it rains, it's like sitting in a beam of heavenly awesome. Which is clearly relevant to my reading experience. Anyway, I got about 14 pages in, and then a discussion happened on twitter about whether Aimee Carter's T's look like F's, and, therefore, whether she wrote "To" or "Yo"

Then the phone
April
THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN. Review coming soon!
Lamia
This can also be seen at The Book Eater

This is more a 2.5 stars, but I'm rounding up, for once. I don't really know why. My brain works in strange, strange ways.

Here are the annotations I made while reading The Goddess Test. I realized after viewing all of them that they may just tell you as much as my review would, with the bonus of being funnier (I think). Plus I'm lazy. So. Here we go.

- Narrator is not a pushover at school. I was scared she'd have the Bella Swan syndrome (I let everyone say
Nafiza
missEvi [can't commit to a book]
Aug 10, 2014 missEvi [can't commit to a book] rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to missEvi [can't commit to a book] by: Chryssa
I am giving it 3 stars as a compromise between my mood and the reality.

I have to begin by saying that although I try to be as objective as possible when rating a book, sometimes it just can't happen.

The book has so many flaws that I don't know where to begin. First and foremost, the greek mythology is so twisted, that the Greek in me almost had an aneurism. Secondly, the connection between the main couple is forced. I couldn't, for the love of Zeus, understand the path they followed in order to
Henry and Kate? 40 110 Oct 26, 2014 03:16PM
Bodacious Book Bu...: Let's discuss The Goddess Test 3 6 Sep 27, 2014 02:09PM
Bodacious Book Bu...: First thoughts on The Goddess Test 1 8 Sep 02, 2014 09:36AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter --->Starting July 27th 6 22 Aug 06, 2014 10:39PM
I felt like crying I still 1 21 Jul 23, 2014 07:13PM
  • Destined (Destined, #1)
  • Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
  • Spellbound (Spellbound, #1)
  • Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1)
  • Persephone (Daughters of Zeus #1)
  • Clarity (Clarity, #1)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1)
  • Timeless (Timeless, #1)
  • The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey, #4)
  • Everneath (Everneath, #1)
  • Ripple
  • The Faerie Ring (The Faerie Ring, #1)
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • Betrayal (The Descendants, #1)
  • Radiant Darkness
  • Abandon (Abandon, #1)
  • Wildefire (Wildefire, #1)
Aimée Carter was born and raised in Michigan, where she currently resides. Her first novel for young adults, THE GODDESS TEST, will be published by Harlequin Teen on April 19th, 2011. The sequel, GODDESS INTERRUPTED, will follow in January 2012.

Find her on Twitter at @aimee_carter.
More about Aimee Carter...
Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2) The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3) The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test, #1.5) The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5) Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)

“I care," he said in a trembling voice. "I care so much that I do not know how to tell you without it seeming inconsequential compared to how I feel. Even if I am distant at times and seem as if I do not want to be with you, it is only because this scares me, too.” 1006 likes
“Maybe you'll win when hell freezes over."

He raised an eyebrow.

"That could be easily arranged.”
293 likes