Start by marking “Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)

Reaper (Soul Screamers #3.5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  5,233 ratings  ·  522 reviews
Tod Hudson was a typical teenager. He liked girls, sports, food and tolerated his younger brother, Nash. In fact, he had his whole life in front of him--and due to his bean sidhe heritage, it was going to be a very long life indeed. And then the car accident occurred.

Suddenly Tod's future wasn't so sure, and he had to make a choice. Life... Death... or something Between...
Published December 1st 2010 by Harlequin Teen

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
50th out of 490 books — 957 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
What We've Read So Far In 2011
283rd out of 5,379 books — 1,449 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph
Per Rachel's blog: "It's come to my attention that "Reaper" is up for pre-order for the Nook at Barnes & Noble. Which would be cool, except that it's listed with a price of $2.99. That will eventually be the right price at e-book stores, but for the first few months, "Reaper" will be free in most formats, in most places. And it will stay free in PDF format on my website."

-----------------------REVIEW-----------------------

Reaper is Tod's novella. I wish he'd get a full novel, but I'll take w
Wendy Darling
This is a great bonus story for fans of the Soul Screamers series. Unlike many of the discounted/freebie novellas that authors release, this one really enhances the story arc and provides a different and more balanced perspective. It's fun to be inside Tod's head and I was surprised at how touching some of the scenes were. I've always liked this character, but this novella made me understand and enjoy him even more.

This novella is a especially meaningful for fans as the series heads into If I D
Lisa Howe
OHMYGOD, THE AWESOMENESS THAT IS TOD MUST BE SHARED. ♥

He is HILARIOUS. :)
The Flooze
A 3.5, but I'll round up because Tod is my favorite character and having him as first person narrator was a thrill. Getting a look at how and why he became a reaper did much to solidify my opinion of him. He's a smart-ass, a practical thinker, and no matter how gruff he comes off, he cares for his family very much.

Although Tod's reactions to his afterlife were telling, I only wish Vincent had seen fit to drop some of the recapping. Readers of this story are likely aware of her universe, and so
Kim
It was interesting to be in Tod's head for a change and we finally found out how he stumbled into this unusual job of his.

I don't know what to make of all the information I got, but I guess I'll find out sooner or later.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Honestly, this is not the Tod story I was hoping for, at least not all of it.

REAPER tells the story of Tod’s last day alive, his recruitment by the Reapers, and his first few days on the job, so to speak. It is fun seeing the relationship between Nash and Tod while they are both alive, and finally learn the details about how Tod died. Plus there is an interesting twist at the very end that I’m betting will come into play in the future.

Free is free, and
Stephanie
by Rachel Vincent
Free Download
Format: Kindle Edition,
Novella from the Soul Screamers Series
File Size: 203 KB
Publisher: Harlequin Teen (December 1, 2010)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services

Description from rachelvincent.com
Tod Hudson was a typical teenager. He liked girls, sports, food, and tolerated his younger brother, Nash. In fact, he had his whole life in front of him—and due to his bean sidhe heritage, it should have been a very long life indeed.

All of that changed in one horrible moment and su
Jessica
I love just about everything Rachel Vincent writes! No joke! Her Shifters series was amazing and I so can't wait to read her next adult series that should come out some time next year if I remember correctly. And her YA series, Soul Screamers is amazing as well! And the short novellas that Rachel has now written that take place before My Soul to Take are incredible! You get to know the backstory behind certain events.

The first novella, My Soul to Lose, told us of Kaylee's time in the hospital w
Savannah (Books With Bite)

I've read this book in about one hour and let me tell you that it was one hell of a hour. Everything about this novella was intriguing and right on target. If anything, it made me want Tod even more.

This novella is base on Tod and the events leading up to his death. Ms. Vincent wrote a wonderful story fulfilling everything I wanted to know about Tod. There were some things that were revealed that would help me understand My Soul to Steal better. Although it does make me weary to read it seeing t
Rachel
Read and reviewed November 22, 2010:
In a nutshell, Reaper gives us the back-story on how and why Tod came to be a reaper, his very first introduction to Levi and his first visit home after his death. But it also reveals just a little something else…but you’ll have to read it to find out.

It is nice to be able to see things from Tod’s perspective and get a bit more insight on who he is – as a son and and older brother – and learn that his sarcasm wasn’t something he developed postmortem.

And it’s a
Inspired Kathy
I started reading the 5th book in The Soul Screamers series (If I Die). About 1/4 of the way in I had to stop and read this book. I had a sudden desire to learn more about Tod. I've always liked Tod but as he started to take a big role in I was compelled to learn more about him.

If you are a Soul Screamers fan this novella is a must read. It's a short read but provides so much vital information within its pages. This fits in as book 3.5 in the series but I would recommend reading book 4 first and
Susi
Non so se avete capito dalle mie recensioni che Tod è in assoluto il mio personaggio preferito dell'intera serie.
Influenzata dai commenti delle mie amiche che hanno già letto i libri? molto probabilmente si, ma Tod, come tutti i personaggi che all'apparenza possono sembrare superficiali, un po' egoisti, nasconde un animo fragile e che ha bisogno, più di tutti d'affetto, di qualcuno che possa credere in lui.
Reaper è la dimostrazione di come Tod sia un persona pieno d'amore e speciale, che nonosta
Laura Kreitzer
Sep 12, 2012 Laura Kreitzer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of Tod
Shelves: audible
I adore Tod, and now . . . well, I can't get enough of him! Rachel knows exactly what I need when it comes to her characters. She can equally make me love one character while hating another all while bowing down to her story-telling greatness. Even in the two novellas I've read for this series, I couldn't get enough. If you haven't started this series, DO! There is no reason not to.
Jessica
May 06, 2011 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessica by: Mel
Shelves: 24-ebooks, 0-faves
This is a must read for all Soul Screamers fans, IMO. I feel like I understand Tod so much better now and to my surprise, I also like him much better now.
Anika
Great book!! Loved hearing Tod's side of the story!! :D was amazing!!
Alex

That's NOT Tod on the cover! The cover is unpleasant!
Winnie
Dying is the easy part! The one who SURVIVES, who LIVES, got the harder part!
Reaper is a short story, centered on Todd. It was good to understand Todd and I got to see a different side of him. However, this doesn't change how I feel about him. The best I can come up with is I’m indifferent when it comes to Todd. He is an enigma.
1st off, Todd’s choice brought Nash misery! He would live with the guilt of killing his brother for a long time; worse Nash’s mother did blame Nash for his brother’s dea
Sammee (I Want to Read That)
4.5 Stars

If you are a fan of the Soul Screamers series you really need to read this! I really enjoyed it and I loved having the story told from Tod's point of view. If I hadn't been in love with him before reading this I definitely would have been afterwards.

The story is a prequel in the sense it takes place before Tod becomes a reaper. We get to see what he was like, plus we get to see Nash as a 15 year old and we learn of Sabine. I've heard it's best to read this after at least the third book
Ta§chima Cullen
"Just FYI, in your case, I think it's okay to fear the reaper."

Reaper was exactly what I needed. In fact, it's what every Tod fan needs! I've always loved Tod in the Soul Screamers series and getting the chance to read on how he became a reaper, and why, is priceless. I would suggest, however, not reading this book until after you read a couple of the Soul Screamers series books because it will reveal a major secret of the series, plus the read will be that much more sweet if you have read the f
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Metaspinster
I loved this glimpse into Tod's transformation from bean sidhe to Reaper (reaper sidhe? heh). It adds new dimension to our understanding of this character while meshing with the existing portrayal of him in the main book series - which is through another's eyes, and chronologically down the line. I particularly appreciate this aspect because it means that Vincent is writing Tod as a non-static character and effectively layering both Tod's character developments as well as Kaylee's perception of ...more
Rose
I'm technically reading this out of order for the "Soul Screamers" series, but when I read this was a novella about Tod, I jumped at the chance for reading it since I loved his character from the first book (despite how little scene time he had in spurts). I received this as a free download for the kindle.

The novella tells the story of how Tod became a reaper, exchanging his life for his younger brother in the event of a terrible car accident. Rachel Vincent has a wonderful blend of humor, emoti
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

Rachel Vincent’s Reaper is a novella set in her SOUL SCREAMERS world. I read it because it was free for members at Audible during one of their promotions. I haven’t read any of the SOUL SCREAMERS novels, but I’m familiar with the premise because I’ve read Kelly’s reviews (at FanLit) of the series.

Reaper is the story of how Tod, sacrificing himself for his impulsive younger brother Nash, became a reaper. We get to know Tod, Nash, and their mom pretty well.
Mary Grace
I just realized this is a novella connected to the Soul Screamer series by Rachel Vincent. It was a great read but not recommended to start reading the series well. I have to admit, I haven't read a single book in the series which is a shame because Reaper is awesome.

I would love to read the first book first to know how the story progressed but reading Reaper was enough pull for me to divert attention to a great series. I've read numerous reviews stating how great the series was but I never got
Liliana ♥s Mythology
Review also found here: http://lili-lost-in-a-book.blogspot.c...

All I have to say is that I have totally fallen in love with Tod! I absolutely loved this novella...it was amazing!

This novella tells what happened the night Tod died and became a reaper. We see how much Tod cares for both his mom and Nash. (view spoiler)
Evelyn Amaro
Originally posted on Paromantasy

Reaper was a free download so I'd thought I'd give it a whirl, and I'm glad I did. I was instantly drawn into their world and wanted to find out more the minute this short story ended. This is the back story to a character named Todd from the series.

Todd is part of a normal family, other than the fact that their bean sidhe and supernatural. His almost ordinary life changes the day his mother leaves him to watch his younger brother Nash. His brother is in love, but
Joanna
Since I'm playing favorites, and due to my undying love for Tod Hudson this novella deserves 5stars! :)

first of all, it's so nice to see Tod's perspective and how much he loves his mother and his brother. I love how he's always calculating and doesn't do something in a total rush. He's a good boy with ordinary faults. Being able to give up his life for his brother is another quality that makes him a wonderful person or should I say reaper. :) The way he cares for his mother is another big thing.
Kate
I've been eying the Soul Screamers series for a while, but the last thing I want is yet another paranormal romance series. However, when I got a Nook for Christmas and saw this novella listed as a free download, I figured this might be a good way to dip my toe in the water.

Tod, his brother Nash, and his mom are all banshees. It doesn't seem to matter much in their day-to-day lives, but when Tod and his brother get into a car accident and Nash dies, Tod knows enough about the paranormal world to
Unabridged Bookshelf
Reaper is a novella of the Soul Screamer series by Rachel Vincent. This novella is about Tod and told from his point of view. It is a great one to read right before My Soul to Steal, because you get a minor introduction and preview of Sabine and Nash’s relationship. Tod is your typical teenager who just wants to hang out with his girlfriend, but little brother Nash has to get in the way. I have to say this book made me fall completely in love with Tod!

When you read the Soul Screamer series, you
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)
  • Stopping Time (Wicked Lovely, #2.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Cat Calls
  • Summer's Crossing (Iron Fey, #3.5)
  • Sin's Daughter (Otherkin, #0.5)
  • The Wild's Call (Aspect of Crow, #0.5)
  • An Unwanted Hunger
  • Heart of the Witch
  • First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5)
  • Belonging (Darkest Powers, #3.5)
  • Dark Legacy
  • Cabel's Story (Dream Catcher, #1.1)
  • Shadow Days (Nightshade, #0.5)
  • Radiant (Unearthly, #2.5)
[Note: Though Rachel's blog entries are cross posted here, she does not frequent Goodreads. The best ways to contact her are FB, Twitter, or her Wordpress blog. PLEASE DO NOT SEND HER MESSAGES HERE. SHE DOES NOT CHECK THEM.]

A resident of Oklahoma, Rachel Vincent has a BA in English and an overactive imagination, and consistently finds the latter to be more practical. She shares her workspace with
More about Rachel Vincent...
My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) Stray (Shifters, #1) My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2) My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3) Pride (Shifters, #3)

“So, 'reaper' is really just a nice word for 'covert pervert?' Is that what you're saying?” 86 likes
“So, you reap souls and crush hopes? Is that part of the job, or just a service you offer for free?” 47 likes