Start by marking “Too Good to Be True” as Want to Read:
Too Good to Be True

Too Good to Be True

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The good news that God's Word proclaims is a recipe to use in times of disaster. That is to say, it comes as a relevant announcement only to those who are in trouble for one reason or another. This book calls for more realism in facing life's challenges and a richer view of God and his purposes to match them.
Published August 30th 2009 by Zondervan (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Too Good to Be True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Good to Be True

Jeanie
This book flowed nicely starting when tragedy strikes and ends when God goes to a funeral which in translation means that the last enemy will be destroyed by death. "The Lord is a man of war, the Lord is his name" Exodus 15:3...our preparing for suffering is really a preparation for war of the spiritual kind. This book very nicely done makes you aware of the reality of suffering. What it is and what it is not. Faith always points to what Jesus has done not our own strength or own resources. God ...more
Paul Kurtz
This was an excellent book about human suffering. While personal suffering may not be necessary to developing an accurate doctrine of suffering in the Christian life, it was very helpful that the author was able to express empathy and compassion for those who are experiencing suffering because his own life has not been without its challenges. I found that I was very much able to relate to the author as he described the sufferings in his own life and how he and his wife responded to them.

But the
Steve Lee Sr
2Good2BTrue?

I'm thinking that this book should be required reading for:

1. Pastors

2. Lay people

3. Anyone who is considering, or has responded to, the call to follow Christ

When I'm out and about, or even just flipping through the channels on TV, I am often confronted by statements that Christianity will "fix" your life. I admit that Jesus has fixed some parts of my life and that my life is definitely better with him than without him. However, we should never tell others, nor should we expect, that
Kimberly Hewlett Owen
For a small little book you wouldn't think that the message inside would be so powerful, but as the saying goes, "Don't under estimate small packages".

It is truly one of the most doctrinally correct books concerning the gospel of Jesus Christ that I have ever read. And easy to read too. I read it last year, but recently began reading it again.

I liked how he contrasted the theologies of glory, a rags-to- riches kind of glory, that is, one starts from nothing and makes something of himself, to th
Cynthia Vogel
This book differs quite radically from all the other books "out there" on the topic of suffering. Michael Horton approaches the topic initially by describing some of the suffering he and his family have been through...and later in the book reveals more. But rather than dealing with the "why" of suffering as most books do and then ending up somewhere in the area of God's sovereignty and goodness; Horton discusses the theology of suffering...how it relates to the cross...and how the cross relates ...more
Jan
3.5 stars (although it's been several years since I've read it so it might have been 4 stars)
Tara Gelston
Horton is very thought provoking in his analysis of American culture. He encourages the reader to take solace in Christ's work on the cross & the hope we already have in him. He does not encourage Christians to remove themselves from the world. Rather, he encourages them to put their hope in what is yet to come.
Cbarrett
Horton provides a systematic approach to the issue of suffering. He writes sympathetically as one who has endured various kinds of trials. Highlights the success of the gospel and the triumph of Christ and points to the day when all things will be made right. Very helpful book.
Jeff Isenor
Excellent insight on Christian suffering. He's able to clearly point out all of the problems with pop psychology. There is a small section where he goes overboard on philosophy, but it doesn't affect the rest of the book.
Amy
don't let the small size fool you (186 pages or so). this contains some awesome nuggets. i'm barely halfway through the book but i already highly recommend it.
台耀
Excellent study on the place suffering has in the context of the Christian faith. Quite easy reading, but the key arguments are deeply rooted in sound theology.
Paula
Fabulous. In my opinion, this is a must-read for every Christian.
Becky Pliego
Excellent book on the theology of suffering.
Desiré
Desiré marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Matt
Matt added it
Jan 17, 2015
Owen
Owen marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Keith Williams
Keith Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Trevor
Trevor added it
Dec 28, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Bookman143
Bookman143 marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Alicia
Alicia added it
Dec 03, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • The Transforming Power of the Gospel
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • The World-Tilting Gospel: Embracing a Biblical Worldview & Hanging on Tight
  • Forever: Living with Eternity in View
  • Why Johnny Can't Sing Hymns, How Pop Culture Rewrote the Hymnal
  • The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Saving Leonardo: A Call to Resist the Secular Assault on Mind, Morals, and Meaning
  • Jesus on Every Page: 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
Dr. Horton has taught apologetics and theology at Westminster Seminary California since 1998. In addition to his work at the Seminary, he is the president of White Horse Inn, for which he co-hosts the White Horse Inn, a nationally syndicated, weekly radio talk-show exploring issues of Reformation theology in American Christianity. He is also the editor-in-chief of Modern Reformation magazine. Befo ...more
More about Michael S. Horton...
Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World

“We rise up to God in pride, while God descends to us in humility.” 2 likes
“a religion of human goodness will never sustain a people in times of disaster and threat.” 1 likes