Start by marking “Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be” as Want to Read:
Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be

Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be

"Ever felt like you weren't reaching your goals as fast as you would like? HARD GoalsK shows you how to change your thinking and get on the path to tremendous achievement!"
--Marshall Goldsmith, world-renowned executive coach and author of the New York Times bestsellers MOJO and What Got You Here Won't Get You There

"Hard Goals is full of fascinating insights regarding how t
Published November 10th 2010 by McGraw-Hill (first published October 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Goals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Goals

John of Canada
Meh.
Jamie
Jan 22, 2016 Jamie rated it really liked it
If you have tried SMART Goals and you are having trouble meeting your goals it's time to make some HARD Goals.

The chapter on having animated goals was one of my favorites. If a six year old can't draw it you aren't being specific enough in your goals. Envisioning your goal to the smallest detail will help you to achieve your goals.

On making goals difficult the author suggest reviewing previous goals to see what got you motivated in the past. Using these benchmarks you can create goals that get
Carlene Walter
Apr 01, 2012 Carlene Walter rated it liked it

The introduction explains why some goals are achieved and others are not. The book outlines each of the HARD attributes and how to put each to work in order to achieve the desired results.
Rolando Gill
Feb 19, 2011 Rolando Gill rated it really liked it
Goal setting has been written and talked about so many times. I am surprised so many people have opinions on it. This book resonated deeply with me. In writing this book Mr. Murphy demonstrated to me that he has had all consuming goals and was able to effectively describe them so that I would recognize that I also have had HARD Goals. I know that this is what real goals are about. Understanding what a goal is helps me to now be able to set them and pursue them. Awesome book, Highly recommended.
Kathleen Rainwater
Sep 23, 2012 Kathleen Rainwater rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
People set goals all the time… remember how good it felt when you accomplished one of the more difficult goals in your life? Research for this book revealed that that people who set difficult “hard” goals are up to 75 percent more fulfilled than people with easy goals. What makes one goal more satisfying than another goal? According to the author, “Hard” goals are emotional; motivated by your vision; have a sense of urgency; and difficult to achieve.
Cindy
Jan 15, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was really very insightful and I found it to be something that I think I can use in my life. The author's premise is that most goals fail because they are not HARD - an acronym for Heartfelt - Animated - Required - Difficult. He thinks that those SMART goals are the antithesis of what a good goal should be and in fact discusses research that shows that most of the verbiage used is likely to result in less buy-in, not more. It is a very interesting, quick read.
Bonnie
Jan 28, 2011 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: work-book-club
This was an okay book....seemed like 'more of the same thing.' I got a few new pointers out of it, but didn't love it. Lately - when I read a book like this, I want it to reach out and grab me. This just didn't do that. But it does have good information in it and would be good for someone just getting into self-help and goal-setting books.
Lynn
Apr 25, 2012 Lynn rated it liked it
Many old ideas, worth a read if you have a hard goal.
Puru Goyal
Dec 17, 2013 Puru Goyal rated it really liked it
Must Read
Jenny (rapid tortoise)
Jan 06, 2014 Jenny (rapid tortoise) rated it really liked it
Shelves: goal-setting, goals
I got some interesting ideas out of this book. I think it would make a nice tandem with "This year I will".
Charles Perry
Mar 24, 2016 Charles Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New flavor of good complex distilled thought.

A good distillation and addition of the latest in brain science ... Like a good whiskey. Great take on complex subject
Heike
Heike rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Tisha Anthony
Tisha Anthony rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
مجید
مجید rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Okssa Amo
Okssa Amo rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Adam Heckathorn
Adam Heckathorn rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2017
monaark
monaark rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
louis Greenwood
louis Greenwood rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2017
Jeff Gannaway
Jeff Gannaway rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Jeff Currey
Jeff Currey rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
sirinsy guadarrama
sirinsy guadarrama rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2017
Aysha Alqassimi
Aysha Alqassimi rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Nicole Comia
Nicole Comia rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2017
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Jemar Luczon
Jemar Luczon rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2017
April
April rated it it was ok
May 19, 2011
Brad
Brad rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Your Survival Instinct Is Killing You: Retrain Your Brain to Conquer Fear, Make Better Decisions, and Thrive in the 21s t Century
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations

“In nearly all cases where greatness is achieved, it’s the goal that drives motivation and discipline—not the other way around.” 0 likes
“Expressing intense feelings usually portends better results than emotional detachment does.” 0 likes