Start by marking “A Place to Call Home” as Want to Read:
A Place to Call Home

A Place to Call Home

Seven little junkyard critters venture out of their small, dark hole on a charmingly madcap quest for a new home, with laugh-out-loud results.

When a band of brothers outgrows the dim confines of their birthplace, there is no other choice but to set out into the world on a grand adventure. Timid and terrified at first, they soon find ingenious ways to simulate the safety of
Published July 12th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Place to Call Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place to Call Home

Arminzerella
Courtney
A family of hamsters have outgrown their home. They must take a long journey across the junk-yard to find a place that they can call home.

This book is cute - some is regular picture book style, some is more comic book panels. Only the first two pages have regular text - the rest of the story is told through the discussion between the hamsters. The drawings are simple, and often only use a few colours. The junk-yard scene, for instance, is shaded mostly in blues, blacks, greys, and white, except
Karen A.
Aug 11, 2011 Karen A. rated it it was amazing
This had me laughing out loud to the point of tears by the fourth page. Oddly reminded me of Plato's cave. Along the lines of what one thinks is reality can be so decieving especially when your head is in a dark hole. However no need to have philosophical discussions with your youngster Ms. Schwarz's illustrations get across the big picture quite nicely and Alexis Deacon's bubbled slap stick conversation between the clueless rodents is so much fun it will keep you far away from the deep meaning ...more
Adele
Jan 16, 2017 Adele rated it did not like it
This is not nearly so bad as I Am Henry Finch, which I read at the same time, but there is nothing lower than one star and I cannot justify giving this book two stars because it was most definitely NOT ok. Another seriously creepy offering from Deacon. I shudder to think what his childhood was like if he thinks these are children's books that are actually appropriate for children. And what's up with his obsession with "beasts"?
Nov 19, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
There is something really charming about this book. Style is sort of like a comic with panels and speech bubbles. The little guinea pigs (or are they hamsters or some other kind of rodent?) are hilarious going around with gloves, boots, and other objects covering their heads and obscuring their vision...yet trying to figure out how to navigate across a junk yard and describing (incorrectly) what they _think_ they are doing. Great fun!
Phoebe Lane
Nov 07, 2016 Phoebe Lane rated it it was amazing
This is a lovey book about the journey out of a comfort zone. I wasn't sure at first but after reading it for a second time I began to connect with the characters. Not many people like to leave their comfort zone and this story tells of the uncertainty and adventure in doing so. It could be used in the primary classroom to help with the transition of moving home or school.
Carolienvanderwaarde
Mar 03, 2017 Carolienvanderwaarde rated it really liked it
Een familie hamster moet op zoek naar een 'groter gat', want ze groeien letterlijk uit het oude gat, hun hol. Erg grappig zoals de beestjes zichzelf 'onzichtbaar' maken met behulp van allerlei afval van de stort waar ze wonen. De grote reis kan beginnen. Af en toe gunt de illustrator ons een kijkje vanaf een afstandje, zodat je kunt zien dat de reis niet veel om t lijf heeft, in tegenstelling tot wat de hamsters denken. Die steken 'een zee' over, beklimmen 'een berg', raken verzeilt in de 'woest ...more
William Weatherhead
Nov 07, 2016 William Weatherhead rated it it was amazing
This book explores leaving your comfort zone, something children and even myself dislikes doing. It explores when you do leave your 'home' you will find new things that may be better or make you a better person. These things you wouldn't have been able to find if you had not left your comfort zone. This may be a good book to help a child that is perhaps sad about moving house or moving from primary school to secondary school.
Sophie Goulding
I wasn't sure about this book when I started reading it but I started to enjoy it as I went along! I loved the bit where they said what they had accomplished and then said 'So.. are we going to let a beast take our brother from us now?'

Lovely bright pictures with good illustrations
Mathew
Sometimes in children's literature, there are some wonderful partnerships made: Dahl & Blake, Morpurgo & Foreman, Gaiman & McKean, Reeve & McIntyre to name but a few but Deacon and Schwarz are something extremely special. Much of this is down to the fact that they work together in the picturebook world rather than illustrated book. The relationship between the words and the pictures in all the work that they have collaborated on would have me believe that they are one and the sam ...more
Cosette
Mar 11, 2017 Cosette rated it did not like it
Mikelle
Mar 08, 2017 Mikelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute story that has some wit in it for adult readers.
Kelly
Jun 18, 2017 Kelly rated it really liked it
When the little critters outgrow their little home they explore their world for a new one. Cute humor.
Ann Wang
Sep 26, 2012 Ann Wang rated it it was amazing
Warning: Spoilers ahead

Seven siblings stick together through thick and thin to find a new dwelling place. The adorable and very funny hamsters learn through their adventures, that teamwork, perseverance, and loyal courage can take them far. They may be small and fluffy, but there's nothing they can't overcome. And in the end, they are rewarded with A Place to Call Home.

When I first read this story, it was just funny. I laughed at the silly antics, witty banter, and emotive illustrations. But whe
Mehsi
7 hamsters have outgrown their nest and need to find a new home for them to live in.

This was an absolutely adorable book to read. I love hamsters, so when I saw this in the library I just had to read it! And what a trip it was. The illustrations are just beautiful, colourful and I love how the hamsters were drawn.

I had a few giggles because of the things the hamsters tried to do. And I actually felt sorry for the dog at the ending part a bit.

(view spoiler)
Dolly
Oct 27, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2013
This is a strange, but entertaining tale about a group of small rodents (I don't think the book ever specifies, but I think they're hamsters) who outgrow their home and must brave the dangerous world outside to find a new one.

The narrative is short and fun to read aloud, with lots of dialogue and hilarious illustrations. The hamsters are adorable and their antics are very silly. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Shelli
Dec 05, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is the tale of seven hamster siblings who have outgrown their modest home in the junkyard. Where will they go? What dangers await them? Armed with a variety of refuse artillery the family sets out to find the perfect new domestic abode. Much hilarity, stupidity, and even some bravery ensue; young readers will love it! A perfect read aloud.
Mary
This is a graphic-novel-esque story about a family of hamsters that grows too big for its home and sets out to find a new one. On the way, they encounter all kinds of challenges and they overcome them together. Their encounters give them strength and make them brave. It's an entertaining story with a positive moral.
Danielle
Dec 08, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There's so much here in this cute, hilarious story and I found myself caring about these little creatures quite a lot.
I love their teamwork and courage and willingness to seek out change.
I love that they start out in a junkyard, but to them it is a hole, a home.
And that through their quirky adventure they find a new hole to call home. Without the junk.
Lorna
Dec 02, 2011 Lorna rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
The cover with the critters peeking through the hole caught my attention. Cute graphic novel-type story about their journey to find a new home. Would work better one-on-one than at a storytime. This would have taken ages to read when my daughter was younger because she would have enjoyed looking at everything going on in the pictures.
Kim Foy
Mar 28, 2012 Kim Foy rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, confidence
This tells of the adventures of a mouse family who is afraid to leave their small, dark hole. They each find something to place over their heads so they will not have to face the big world. After attacking a big dog with all of their objects, they are safe on top of a big open mountain that they soon call home.
Kelli
A band of rodents (undetermined rodents, as they have no tails - I vote for overpopulated hamsters that were "liberated" into a junkyard)seek to find a new home. A great read-aloud for kindergarten or early elementary. Fun verbal exchanges beteween the rodents, written in dialogue bubbles. Lots of opportunities for out-loud silliness and a range of voices.
The Library Lady
Oct 12, 2011 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Less a picture book than a junior graphic novel. Would make a cute cartoon.The cover has a big hole in the center through which the mice peep, guaranteed to get savaged in no time. Why do book reviewers never bother to mention stuff like that?
Caitlin
Mar 15, 2013 Caitlin rated it really liked it
This was adorable and quite entertaining. My husband, toddler and I were all giggling over this.

I would recommend it more for early readers, however, than as a read-aloud, since it is in a comic format.

Topics: Home, bravery, family, overcoming obstacles
Christen
Aug 11, 2011 Christen rated it really liked it
This is quite possibly the funniest picture book I've read this summer! These hamsters are a winning mixture of bravery and stupidity. Kids will enjoy their adventurous antics to fnd a place to call home.
Tricia
Aug 27, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Fun to read with a small audience (may be challenging with larger group due to book's graphic novel/word bubble format). Little rodents outgrow their hole and an adventure ensues as they seek out a new home. Funny--my early elementary audience was rolling with giggles.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Mar 04, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds, humorous
Really funny! One of those books where the story is as much about the details in the illustrations as the words on the page! This will be a really fun book to read aloud to kids. The hamsters are funny and the illustrations lend to the humor with wonderful comedic timing!
Michael Earp
Dec 30, 2011 Michael Earp rated it it was amazing
Rachael
Jun 01, 2012 Rachael rated it really liked it
Hamster picture books are few and far between; this book just must be read with adorable hamster voices. Good for story time.
Edward Sullivan
  • Foxy and Egg
  • Dog in Charge
  • My Rhinoceros
  • Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door
  • Owly & Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • Some Dog!: A Picture Book
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World
  • Race You to Bed
  • A Kitten Tale
Alexis Deacon is an acclaimed author and illustrator. Beegu and Jitterbug Jam, both of which he illustrated, were named as New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Books of the Year. He lives in London.
More about Alexis Deacon...