Start by marking “Santa Duck” as Want to Read:
Santa Duck

Santa Duck

Nicholas Duck loves Christmas as much as the next animal, and he is happy to try on the new Santa hat that's mysteriously delivered to his house. But when his friends see him and immediately launch into their Christmas lists, he doesn't know what to do . . . until he runs into Santa himself.
Published October 14th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published September 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Santa Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Duck

Kathryn
This is a cute, fun little story about a duck who inadvertently becomes "Santa" for awhile. The humor reminds me a bit of Mo Willems with amusing little asides and kooky but lovable animal characters. I also love that the "spirit of giving" is alive in this book--but so is the joy of receiving! It's all well and good for children to learn that the best part of Christmas is sharing love and abundance--but, come on, when I was a kid I was TOTALLY the MOST excited to open MY presents! I appreciate ...more
Mary
Dec 14, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas the duck is given a Santa suit and suddenly everyone sees him as Santa Duck. He is bombarded by animals giving him their Christmas lists; for instance, the turtle wants a really fast racing car while the rabbit wants a giant carrot cake "the size of a football field." Observant readers will appreciate the last page where all the animals are enjoying their gifts. Don't be surprised to hear young listeners singing "Jingle quack, jingle quack, Jingle all the quack." A humorous Christmas st ...more
Michael
Jan 27, 2017 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid story to add to your holiday list.
Sara
Dec 19, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was cute!
Pam
Dec 17, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A humorous wonderful story about the true meaning of Christmas!
Audrey J
Jan 01, 2017 Audrey J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like Santa duck Because everybody thought that said that's what I said the real Santa but it wasn't so everybody asked him what they wanted like they were cherry wood chitchatting to check in and am I that's how why I like the book .
Marcie
What a fun read aloud. Too bad 2008 is too old for CCBA.
Joenna
Oct 14, 2008 Joenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool
Nicholas Duck is very excited for Christmas. He opens up his door a couple days before Christmas and finds a package with a santa hat inside. He puts it on, and all of his animal friends think he is Santa! They tell what they want, give him lists, and bother him all the time. Nicholas even tries to pawn off the hat onto another animal, but is stuck with it. On Christmas Eve he's had enough, and then he runs into Santa. Nicholas Duck relays all the lists from all the animals, and is a big help to ...more
Heidi
I find this book funny for several reasons. First, the things that the animals ask for, i.e. the chicken asks for a helicopter, a hot air balloon, and a hang glider, and a blimp. Second, the duck's confusion about why the animals are sharing their Christmas lists with him. Third, the ending, which I won't mention here so as not to spoil it, just know it is quite amusing. The children I've shared this with quite enjoyed it. The illustrations are very appealing and suit the story quite well. The d ...more
Joy
Nov 29, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this in the Schoalstic book club for a $1 and decided to get it for my girls. We read it and my 7 year old really loved it.

Duck receives a package with a Santa suit in it. After he puts it on, all the animals start telling him what they want for Christmas. Duck has been looking for Santa anyway to tell him what he wants for Christmas but ends up relaying the animals' requests instead. Santa makes Duck his helper.
Ina
Dec 18, 2013 Ina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
Nicholas Duck finds a mysterious package on his front porch and that is the start of an interesting adventure for Mr. Duck. The text is filled with humor, beginning with Nick singing "Jingle Bells" as only a duck could "Jingle Quack, Jingle Quack, Jingle all the Quack" (later it is sung in a similar fashion by a cow) The illustrations are bright and filled with fun, and the character's lists for Santa brought smiles to the faces of my story time audience. Very imaginative and very funny.
Jenny
Nicholas the duck sets off to find Santa to tell him his Christmas wish. But on his doorstep he finds a Santa hat. He puts it on his head and sets off...but all the animals think he is Santa Duck and tell him their wishes. Will Nicholas ever find Santa and share his own wish and pass on the other animals wishes?

I thought the storytelling was okay. The pictures were not my favorite.
Jennifer Kelley
Dec 10, 2014 Jennifer Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas Duck gets a Santa suit as a present, and while trying to find Santa he is mistaken for Santa, with other animals giving him their Christmas lists. Will Nicholas find Santa in time to avoid another year of socks and underwear as gifts?

Cute! The preschoolers have enjoyed this one in our storytime!
Hannah Cobb
Dec 21, 2011 Hannah Cobb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Nicholas Duck receives a mysterious package containing a Santa hat and coat--but when he puts them on, all his animal friends think he is Santa! Nicholas just wants to find the real Santa so he can deliver his own Christmas wish list. Lively illustrations and humorous dialogue make this a great read-aloud, especially if you use different voices for all the animals.
Nancy
Dec 01, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, animals
This is a cute book, where a duck gets a package with a Santa jacket and hat. The other animals keep telling Santa Duck what they want for Christmas. In the end he learns who gave him the suit, and what that person wants him to do in the future.
The Library Lady
Dec 11, 2008 The Library Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The poultry seem to be taking over this Christmas--there are several duck/goose books out. This one is bright, funny, simple enough for a toddler but with enough sass for older kid/grownup appeal as well.
Dolly
Dec 20, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, christmas, 2010
This is a fun story about a duck who becomes one of Santa's helpers. The illustrations are fairly simple, but they are very cute. And combined with a dialogue-heavy narrative, the story is a hit with younger readers. Great story to read aloud at Christmastime.
Melanie
Dec 11, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and cute. Nicholas Duck learns what happens when he dons a Santa coat and hat! Suddenly he is inundated with all the farm animal's Christmas lists. When the real Santa appears, he appreciates the careful notes Nicholas Duck has taken.
Duck finds a Santa suit and hat, so he puts it on. But now all the animals are asking him for presents for Christmas thinking he is Santa, which increasingly frustrates him, done humorously through his comments. He finally runs into Santa and passes along the lists.
Dana
Dec 26, 2011 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Jingle quack, jingle quack, jingle all the quack! If you go to see Santa this year and hear, "quack, quack, quack" instead of "ho, ho, ho," you've just visited Santa Duck. But don't worry, he'll make sure to pass along your Christmas list to the man himself.
Becky H.
Jul 02, 2009 Becky H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, 2008, 2009
This is a fun book that we have at the library. My kids enjoyed it in December so when I found it on the clearance table while on vacation I had to get it. Then I read it to my nephews and they thought it was funny too.
Maia
Dec 19, 2014 Maia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how certain animals are always given certain characteristics in children's books. Santa Duck is fun, slightly sarcastic, but not enough to take away from the sweetness of this holiday read.
Kelly
Nov 18, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-books
I didn't expect this book to be so funny! I liked the idea that giving is more rewarding than getting, if only they didn't add in the last page.
Abigail
This book is adorable!! It was funny and it had a good message! This is a book that My family will come back to for years to come! The illustrations are cute too!
Anna
Kiddo and parents all love reading this funny book. C loves the drawings, we love the humor. We plan to read it again next Christmas!
Jordan
Nov 04, 2013 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flightless Birds, Cows, Hustlas
Jingle quack!
Jingle quack!
Jingle ALL the quack!

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Amy
Dec 17, 2012 Amy marked it as picture-books-read  ·  review of another edition
My boys could not stop laughing, which meant I couldn't stop either (I find their laughter so contagious): http://sunlitpages.blogspot.com/2012/...
Corinne Wilson
A funny picture book with simple text that will make kids laugh and help them to begin to grasp the "to give is better than to receive" concept.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: NA

Elementary: E MIL

This is a cute book about how Santa Duck becomes one of Santa Clause's most important helpers!
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • Here Comes Santa Cat
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Mooseltoe
  • Duck Soup (Max the Duck)
  • Jingle-Jingle
  • Dinosaur vs. Santa
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight?
  • A Christmas Tree for Pyn
  • Minerva Louise on Christmas Eve
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Chickens to the Rescue (Barnyard Rescue)
  • One Snowy Night