Santa Duck

Santa Duck

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Nicholas Duck loves Christmas as much as the next animal, and he is happy to try on the new Santa hat that's mysteriously delivered to his house. But when his friends see him and immediately launch into their Christmas lists, he doesn't know what to do . . . until he runs into Santa himself.

Published October 14th 2010 by Putnam Juvenile (first published September 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Santa Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Duck

Kathryn
This is a cute, fun little story about a duck who inadvertently becomes "Santa" for awhile. The humor reminds me a bit of Mo Willems with amusing little asides and kooky but lovable animal characters. I also love that the "spirit of giving" is alive in this book--but so is the joy of receiving! It's all well and good for children to learn that the best part of Christmas is sharing love and abundance--but, come on, when I was a kid I was TOTALLY the MOST excited to open MY presents! I appreciate...more
Heidi
I find this book funny for several reasons. First, the things that the animals ask for, i.e. the chicken asks for a helicopter, a hot air balloon, and a hang glider, and a blimp. Second, the duck's confusion about why the animals are sharing their Christmas lists with him. Third, the ending, which I won't mention here so as not to spoil it, just know it is quite amusing. The children I've shared this with quite enjoyed it. The illustrations are very appealing and suit the story quite well. The d...more
Joenna
Nicholas Duck is very excited for Christmas. He opens up his door a couple days before Christmas and finds a package with a santa hat inside. He puts it on, and all of his animal friends think he is Santa! They tell what they want, give him lists, and bother him all the time. Nicholas even tries to pawn off the hat onto another animal, but is stuck with it. On Christmas Eve he's had enough, and then he runs into Santa. Nicholas Duck relays all the lists from all the animals, and is a big help to...more
Elizabeth
kiddo liked it that's all that matters
Ina
Nicholas Duck finds a mysterious package on his front porch and that is the start of an interesting adventure for Mr. Duck. The text is filled with humor, beginning with Nick singing "Jingle Bells" as only a duck could "Jingle Quack, Jingle Quack, Jingle all the Quack" (later it is sung in a similar fashion by a cow) The illustrations are bright and filled with fun, and the character's lists for Santa brought smiles to the faces of my story time audience. Very imaginative and very funny.
Jenny
Nicholas the duck sets off to find Santa to tell him his Christmas wish. But on his doorstep he finds a Santa hat. He puts it on his head and sets off...but all the animals think he is Santa Duck and tell him their wishes. Will Nicholas ever find Santa and share his own wish and pass on the other animals wishes?

I thought the storytelling was okay. The pictures were not my favorite.
Hannah Cobb
Nicholas Duck receives a mysterious package containing a Santa hat and coat--but when he puts them on, all his animal friends think he is Santa! Nicholas just wants to find the real Santa so he can deliver his own Christmas wish list. Lively illustrations and humorous dialogue make this a great read-aloud, especially if you use different voices for all the animals.
Duck finds a Santa suit and hat, so he puts it on. But now all the animals are asking him for presents for Christmas thinking he is Santa, which increasingly frustrates him, done humorously through his comments. He finally runs into Santa and passes along the lists.
Dolly
Dec 20, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, christmas
This is a fun story about a duck who becomes one of Santa's helpers. The illustrations are fairly simple, but they are very cute. And combined with a dialogue-heavy narrative, the story is a hit with younger readers. Great story to read aloud at Christmastime.
Dana
Jingle quack, jingle quack, jingle all the quack! If you go to see Santa this year and hear, "quack, quack, quack" instead of "ho, ho, ho," you've just visited Santa Duck. But don't worry, he'll make sure to pass along your Christmas list to the man himself.
Melanie
Funny and cute. Nicholas Duck learns what happens when he dons a Santa coat and hat! Suddenly he is inundated with all the farm animal's Christmas lists. When the real Santa appears, he appreciates the careful notes Nicholas Duck has taken.
Becky H.
This is a fun book that we have at the library. My kids enjoyed it in December so when I found it on the clearance table while on vacation I had to get it. Then I read it to my nephews and they thought it was funny too.
The Library Lady
The poultry seem to be taking over this Christmas--there are several duck/goose books out. This one is bright, funny, simple enough for a toddler but with enough sass for older kid/grownup appeal as well.
Sara Harrison
This is a really sweet book that uses Santa to talk about helping others. Everyone thinks Duck is Santa's helper so they tell him their lists. What happens in the end is so sweet!
Amy
Dec 17, 2012 Amy marked it as picture-books-read  ·  review of another edition
My boys could not stop laughing, which meant I couldn't stop either (I find their laughter so contagious): http://sunlitpages.blogspot.com/2012/...
Jordan
Nov 07, 2013 Jordan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flightless Birds, Cows, Hustlas
Jingle quack!
Jingle quack!
Jingle ALL the quack!

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Julia
So funny! Duck gets a Santa suit as a suprise and then can't figure out why all his animals friends keep telling HIM what they want for Christmas. Very cute art and funny text.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Duck did not know what he was in for when he puts on the hat and jacket, but he learns something new about Christmas and Santa as a result. This one made me chuckle.
Leona
this is one of those books where the parents and kids are laughing throughout--but for different reasons. there's also a heartwarming seasonal message--greed is good.
Meredith
Duck finds a santa suit on his front step. After he puts it on, all the other animals begin following him around telling him what they want for Christmas.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: NA

Elementary: E MIL

This is a cute book about how Santa Duck becomes one of Santa Clause's most important helpers!
Corinne
A funny picture book with simple text that will make kids laugh and help them to begin to grasp the "to give is better than to receive" concept.
Anna
Kiddo and parents all love reading this funny book. C loves the drawings, we love the humor. We plan to read it again next Christmas!
Tricia
steve read it and says "cute, imaginative and encourages children that christmas is about others, not just what they want."
Scottsdale Public Library
A story in which a little duck learns that the greatest gift he can give is helping his friends. And Santa. – Paula C.
Dubovoyalena
Funny story that teaches students about the american culture and the way Christmas is celebrated in the united states
Erica
*Queen Diva*
Oh my gosh! Absolutely adorable!! I love all the side bar talking! Hilarious! Loved it!
Peacegal
The storyline was a little busy and might be a bit confusing for a young audience.
Debbie
This is a really funny Christmas book. Would work one-on-one or in storytime.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Me Hungry!
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze!
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Meow Said the Cow
Some Monsters Are Different Siri & Me: A Modern Love Story Cows Can't Fly Eddie Gets Ready For School Santa Duck and His Merry Helpers