Start by marking “Hoboes: Bindlestiffs, Fruit Tramps, and the Harvesting of the West” as Want to Read:
Hoboes: Bindlestiffs, Fruit Tramps, and the Harvesting of the West

Hoboes: Bindlestiffs, Fruit Tramps, and the Harvesting of the West

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When the railroad stretched its steel rails across the American West in the 1870s, it opened up a vast expanse of territory. Agriculture quickly followed the railroads, making way for Kansas wheat and Colorado sugar beets and Washington apples. With this new agriculture came an unavoidable need for harvest workers. These were not the year-round hired hands but transients w ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Hill and Wang (first published April 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hoboes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoboes

Bethany Carlson
For a descendent of early immigrants to the West - and a huge fan of Steinbeck, London, Flagg, and Disney's The Journey of Natty Gann - Hoboes was a truly inspiring window into the lives of migrant workers during the building of the American Railroad. Some of the best non-fiction I have ever read.
Catherine
The title of this book should be Railroads, Irrigation, Agriculture and the People Who Were Exploited in Developing the West. I have to admit I was expecting something more about the culture of the hobo when I picked up this book. What it turned out to be is a study of why and how agriculture was developed west of the Mississippi and how various groups of people met the needs for large numbers of seasonal agricultural workers. It's an interesting history but reads like a history book, just touch ...more
Perrin
At times a bit dry. Repetitive but actually, necessarily so. Very interesting subject. Definitely recommended.
Krista
LOVED. got a little slowed down at parts but i learned so much that sticks with me still. amazing.
John
The first thing that needs to be cleared up about this book is that it's not really about Hoboes, Bindlestiffs and Fruit Tramps. It's about how farming transformed the West. The book could have been a decent history of trains, agriculture, diasporas of Japanese and Chinese immigrants, culturla history of the Northwest, Cultural history of California, sociology of temporary laborers, and settlements of towns along the West Coast, if the author had focused one one of the subject. After the initial ...more
Nicole
I think the major problem with this book is that it is severely misrepresented. Based on the title and the dust-jacket blurb, I expected to read a narrative about the lives of hoboes. Instead, this book is really about how the expansion of railroads and (later) irrigation spurred the development of intensive, large scale agriculture and the labor issues that followed. The book honestly gives up just about any discussion on hoboes halfway through and instead focuses on immigrant and child labor s ...more
Paul
It's really not so much about hoboes as it is about the shifts in agriculture that came in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Sure there was a lot to learn about hoboes, but I learned about migrant labor and imported labor and felt a lot smarter for having read it.
Scott
This book felt very repetitive and was more focused on the labor markets of the developing west rather than the hoboes who were laborers themselves. Kind of a disappointment based on the size of font used for the word "Hoboes" on the cover.
Dennis Willingham
A great book on the history of migrant farm labor in the west. the same problems, attitudes, debates, etc we see today were occuring as long ago as the late 1800's. Seems like on over a century we could have figured it out.
This book seems only tangentially about hoboes, and is more about the rise of big agriculture. Too many details, which overwhelmed the basic storyline. Maybe I'll pick it up again, but right now it's just not that appealing.
Lisa
I just couldn't get past the first couple chapters. It's a fascinating topic, but it seems like I kept reading the same few bits and pieces of info over and over again.
Steve
This books was brutal to get through. The amount of quoted statistics overwhelmed the content.
J
Dry, repetitive, no consistent timeline
Mark Moeller
Mark Moeller marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Michael Babcock
Michael Babcock marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Wendy Greyskull-Jones
Wendy Greyskull-Jones is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Ed Salerno
Ed Salerno marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Z.A.
Z.A. marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Eric Swedlund
Eric Swedlund marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Bunnyjadwiga
Bunnyjadwiga marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Round-Trip to America: The Immigrants Return to Europe, 1880 1930 Dps: Europe's Displaced Persons, 1945 51 Hard Rock Epic: Western Miners and the Industrial Revolution, 1860-1910 Wisconsin Frontier Immigrants in the Valley: Irish, Germans, and Americans in the Upper Mississippi Country, 1830-1860