Start by marking “The Freelancer's Survival Guide” as Want to Read:
The Freelancer's Survival Guide

The Freelancer's Survival Guide

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Most people become freelancers without any idea of how to run a business. They learn in the school of hard knocks. Kristine Kathryn Rusch has taken the school of hard knocks and made it into one of the most useful business books written in years. Included are these indispensable topics:

•How To Negotiate Anything: Freelancers must negotiate everything from the rent they pay
ebook
Published October 30th 2010 by WMG Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Freelancer's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Freelancer's Survival Guide

M. A.
A must-read for anyone wanting to run their own business. I don't care if it's writing, selling beanie babies, or freelance accounting--this is worth your time.
Richard Wright
A collection of chapters first published and still available on the author's website, and about as comprehensive as you could want. Although the book talks generally and is intended for any and all prospective freelancers, the author draws continually from her own experience as a freelance writer of many years standing, and so this book is of even more value to writers. The first half of the book is invaluable, and should be mandatory reading for anybody looking to step out on their own. It's s ...more
Chrissy Wissler
This book is a treasure. If you're in business for yourself, have ever dreamed of freelancing or working for yourself, this should be on your bookself. Right now.

Kris Rusch, who's been a freelancer and writer for over twenty years, tells it like it is. Everyone makes mistakes in life, especially when it comes to business, and Rusch doesn't beat around the bushes. She gives advice on what she's learned, through success and many failures, how to avoid those mistakes and perhaps more importantly,
Angela Benedetti
This is an excellent book for anyone who works for themself, or is thinking of working for themself. Ms. Rusch is a writer, which is definitely a freelance position, but she brings experience from other jobs as well as the experiences of friends, co-workers, employees and employers, peers in her field and commenters on her blog. And at the heart of it all are the basics of business, which are largely the same no matter how you're earning your freelance living.

From managing your money and your ti
Adam R.
This is an excellent overview of what you'll need to know when becoming a freelancer. If you read this book before getting starting a full freelancing career, you'll avoid unpleasant surprises. In addition to being a great guide, it will give you a sense of which topics you can research further based on your individual needs.

That being said, I wish she spoke a bit more about LLCs, Intellectual Property, and how to properly appraise your work (i.e. not to charge clients too much or too little). E
Michael La Ronn
Very informative

I enjoyed this. It occasionally rambled but the information was good. I found the most value in the first half of the book, particularly the sections on money and networking.

Miguel Angel Alonso Pulido
Esta guía de supervivencia del profesional autónomo es un auténtico tesoro de conocimiento, en el que Kristine Kathryn Rusch explica todos los aspectos que debes tener en cuenta si vas a trabajar por tu cuenta, sea como escritor, sea como abogado o como fontanero. Desde aspectos básicos como todo lo relacionado a trabajar desde casa hasta otros más intangibles pero igual de importantes como es lidiar con el éxito. Siempre me había planteado como afrontar un fracaso y es tan o más esencial para u ...more
Michael
A great book for anyone interested in working for themselves...full of sage advice from an experienced person who knows what she's talking about! If you're even contemplating "making the leap" to freelance, be sure to read this beforehand so you can make your decision with eyes wide open.
DeAnna Knippling
I'm a freelancer; this is my second pass through the book (once before I left my day job, once after).

Ah, seeing the mistakes and the warnings I had received before (or as) I made them was bittersweet, but I feel like rereading it is helping me get back on track again.
Angela Penrose
I read the whole thing on Kris's site, for free, and bought the (hefty) book when it came out anyway. That should tell you something. Good stuff -- get it.
Ryan Viergutz
All freelancers need to read this, hands down. I read it online and, so far, it's still there.
Sandra Wheeler
Sandra Wheeler marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
YDax
YDax marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Mackenzie Bush
Mackenzie Bush marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
To Be Read Podcast
To Be Read Podcast is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Ramarl
Ramarl marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
John
John is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2014
Amélie Rêverie
Amélie Rêverie marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Patrick Stemp
Patrick Stemp marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Wayne Marinovich
Wayne Marinovich marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Nabilla
Nabilla marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...
The New Rebellion (Star Wars) The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1) Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1) X-Men Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)