Start by marking “The Freelancer's Survival Guide” as Want to Read:
The Freelancer's Survival Guide

The Freelancer's Survival Guide

Most people become freelancers without any idea of how to run a business. They learn in the school of hard knocks. Kristine Kathryn Rusch has taken the school of hard knocks and made it into one of the most useful business books written in years. Included are these indispensable topics:

•How To Negotiate Anything: Freelancers must negotiate everything from the rent they pay
Nook
Published October 30th 2010 by WMG Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Freelancer's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Freelancer's Survival Guide

J.F. Penn
Jan 06, 2015 J.F. Penn rated it really liked it
Lots of great tips and advice on being a full-time creative entrepreneur. A little bit dated now but still lots of fantastic info - on things you would expect, like finances, and other more personal tips eg. about health, sorting out your estate, negotiation and more. Recommended for authors who are serious about a future as a writer.
M. A.
Sep 04, 2012 M. A. rated it it was amazing
A must-read for anyone wanting to run their own business. I don't care if it's writing, selling beanie babies, or freelance accounting--this is worth your time.
Stephanie Bibb
Dec 07, 2015 Stephanie Bibb rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent. I picked it up from a NaNoWriMo story bundle about a year ago. It has all sorts of helpful information and advice. While not everything mentioned will work for everyone, The Freelancer's Survival Guide is well worth the read if you plan on starting your own business.

There's decent practical advice in here, not just for writers. One of the tips the author gives is getting health insurance... more than you expect to need, but only what you can reasonably afford. I had been
Katja Vartiainen
I give this 4 and a 1/2. I really enjoyed this book and read it quite fast. I stumbled upon it on some blog. This book is the setting the base for all freelancers. It gives you an quite accurate picture of what it is. The writer is American so some of the details, e.g. insurances vary from country to country. If I never had freelanced in my life, I would definitely read this. It describes what is required of you, and what you gain by freelancing. Based on the blog, there are at times references ...more
Richard Wright
Apr 08, 2013 Richard Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A collection of chapters first published and still available on the author's website, and about as comprehensive as you could want. Although the book talks generally and is intended for any and all prospective freelancers, the author draws continually from her own experience as a freelance writer of many years standing, and so this book is of even more value to writers. The first half of the book is invaluable, and should be mandatory reading for anybody looking to step out on their own. It's s ...more
Chrissy Wissler
Dec 06, 2010 Chrissy Wissler rated it it was amazing
This book is a treasure. If you're in business for yourself, have ever dreamed of freelancing or working for yourself, this should be on your bookself. Right now.

Kris Rusch, who's been a freelancer and writer for over twenty years, tells it like it is. Everyone makes mistakes in life, especially when it comes to business, and Rusch doesn't beat around the bushes. She gives advice on what she's learned, through success and many failures, how to avoid those mistakes and perhaps more importantly,
Angela Benedetti
Aug 06, 2011 Angela Benedetti rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for anyone who works for themself, or is thinking of working for themself. Ms. Rusch is a writer, which is definitely a freelance position, but she brings experience from other jobs as well as the experiences of friends, co-workers, employees and employers, peers in her field and commenters on her blog. And at the heart of it all are the basics of business, which are largely the same no matter how you're earning your freelance living.

From managing your money and your ti
Adam R.
Jan 31, 2014 Adam R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money
This is an excellent overview of what you'll need to know when becoming a freelancer. If you read this book before getting starting a full freelancing career, you'll avoid unpleasant surprises. In addition to being a great guide, it will give you a sense of which topics you can research further based on your individual needs.

That being said, I wish she spoke a bit more about LLCs, Intellectual Property, and how to properly appraise your work (i.e. not to charge clients too much or too little). E
Mercedes Yardley
Jan 07, 2015 Mercedes Yardley rated it it was amazing
This was exactly the book I was looking for.

Rusch's Freelancer's Survival Guide is dense with information pertaining to all areas of freelancing. She discusses taking your job seriously, how to figure out your hourly rate, protecting your freelancing time, and basically everything else you really need to know. This book is also quite general and doesn't target writing specifically. I found it quite slow to get through, but that was only because it was packed with information. There were several
Victoria Goddard
Jan 24, 2015 Victoria Goddard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I read this in blog form when I first discovered Kristine Kathryn Rusch last year, and learned a fair amount from it then. Reading it in book form, with revised order (and some revisions to the sections), was far better--though that's also because I'm further along with my career shift to freelancing, so I can make more use of it. Lots of food for thought, and I'll be coming back to this one many times to come.
NormaCenva
Jul 15, 2016 NormaCenva rated it it was amazing
This is a book I will be revisiting. It touches on the subjects not really discussed anywhere else, And it is great to hear different things discussed both business related and not. If you are considering it, give it a try, you might end up pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed!
DeAnna Knippling
Feb 24, 2011 DeAnna Knippling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-on-writing
I'm a freelancer; this is my second pass through the book (once before I left my day job, once after).

Ah, seeing the mistakes and the warnings I had received before (or as) I made them was bittersweet, but I feel like rereading it is helping me get back on track again.
Michael
Jun 04, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
A great book for anyone interested in working for themselves...full of sage advice from an experienced person who knows what she's talking about! If you're even contemplating "making the leap" to freelance, be sure to read this beforehand so you can make your decision with eyes wide open.
Michael Ronn
Very informative

I enjoyed this. It occasionally rambled but the information was good. I found the most value in the first half of the book, particularly the sections on money and networking.

Angela Penrose
I read the whole thing on Kris's site, for free, and bought the (hefty) book when it came out anyway. That should tell you something. Good stuff -- get it.
B
Jan 12, 2015 B rated it really liked it
Packed with wonderful insights and tips about how the life of a freelancer (& writer in my case) could realistically be. Great Book!
John
Nov 23, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Insightful and incredibly thorough, I have read and re-read this book. Recommended highly for anyone who freelances, and especially for writers.
Zachariah
Dec 23, 2014 Zachariah rated it it was amazing
Couldn't finish all of this but it was good. Really good. I feel when I do become a freelancer, this will really become my bible.
Kelle
Kelle rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Carrie Marshall
Carrie Marshall rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2016
TyraelsWings
TyraelsWings rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Herford
Herford rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2014
Douglas Milewski
Douglas Milewski rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Edith Zdunich
Edith Zdunich rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Aleks
Aleks rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2011
Barb Rude
Barb Rude rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Ellen Bard
Ellen Bard rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • 500 Ways to Write Harder
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • Guide to Fiction Writing
  • Shadows Beneath: The Writing Excuses Anthology
  • The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know
  • A Creator's Guide to Transmedia Storytelling: How to Captivate and Engage Audiences Across Multiple Platforms
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • So, You Want to Be a Writer?: How to Write, Get Published, and Maybe Even Make It Big!
  • Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
  • Invisible Selling Machine
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • How to Write Killer Fiction
  • 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • Painless Grammar (Painless Series)
  • Altered Perceptions
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...