Start by marking “The Freelancer's Survival Guide” as Want to Read:
The Freelancer's Survival Guide

The Freelancer's Survival Guide

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Most people become freelancers without any idea of how to run a business. They learn in the school of hard knocks. Kristine Kathryn Rusch has taken the school of hard knocks and made it into one of the most useful business books written in years. Included are these indispensable topics:

•How To Negotiate Anything: Freelancers must negotiate everything from the rent they pay
Nook
Published October 30th 2010 by WMG Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Freelancer's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Freelancer's Survival Guide

J.F. Penn
Lots of great tips and advice on being a full-time creative entrepreneur. A little bit dated now but still lots of fantastic info - on things you would expect, like finances, and other more personal tips eg. about health, sorting out your estate, negotiation and more. Recommended for authors who are serious about a future as a writer.
M. A.
A must-read for anyone wanting to run their own business. I don't care if it's writing, selling beanie babies, or freelance accounting--this is worth your time.
Richard Wright
A collection of chapters first published and still available on the author's website, and about as comprehensive as you could want. Although the book talks generally and is intended for any and all prospective freelancers, the author draws continually from her own experience as a freelance writer of many years standing, and so this book is of even more value to writers. The first half of the book is invaluable, and should be mandatory reading for anybody looking to step out on their own. It's s ...more
Chrissy Wissler
This book is a treasure. If you're in business for yourself, have ever dreamed of freelancing or working for yourself, this should be on your bookself. Right now.

Kris Rusch, who's been a freelancer and writer for over twenty years, tells it like it is. Everyone makes mistakes in life, especially when it comes to business, and Rusch doesn't beat around the bushes. She gives advice on what she's learned, through success and many failures, how to avoid those mistakes and perhaps more importantly,
Angela Benedetti
This is an excellent book for anyone who works for themself, or is thinking of working for themself. Ms. Rusch is a writer, which is definitely a freelance position, but she brings experience from other jobs as well as the experiences of friends, co-workers, employees and employers, peers in her field and commenters on her blog. And at the heart of it all are the basics of business, which are largely the same no matter how you're earning your freelance living.

From managing your money and your ti
Victoria Goddard
I read this in blog form when I first discovered Kristine Kathryn Rusch last year, and learned a fair amount from it then. Reading it in book form, with revised order (and some revisions to the sections), was far better--though that's also because I'm further along with my career shift to freelancing, so I can make more use of it. Lots of food for thought, and I'll be coming back to this one many times to come.
Adam R.
This is an excellent overview of what you'll need to know when becoming a freelancer. If you read this book before getting starting a full freelancing career, you'll avoid unpleasant surprises. In addition to being a great guide, it will give you a sense of which topics you can research further based on your individual needs.

That being said, I wish she spoke a bit more about LLCs, Intellectual Property, and how to properly appraise your work (i.e. not to charge clients too much or too little). E
Mercedes Yardley
This was exactly the book I was looking for.

Rusch's Freelancer's Survival Guide is dense with information pertaining to all areas of freelancing. She discusses taking your job seriously, how to figure out your hourly rate, protecting your freelancing time, and basically everything else you really need to know. This book is also quite general and doesn't target writing specifically. I found it quite slow to get through, but that was only because it was packed with information. There were several
Michael Ronn
Very informative

I enjoyed this. It occasionally rambled but the information was good. I found the most value in the first half of the book, particularly the sections on money and networking.

Miguel Pulido
Esta guía de supervivencia del profesional autónomo es un auténtico tesoro de conocimiento, en el que Kristine Kathryn Rusch explica todos los aspectos que debes tener en cuenta si vas a trabajar por tu cuenta, sea como escritor, sea como abogado o como fontanero. Desde aspectos básicos como todo lo relacionado a trabajar desde casa hasta otros más intangibles pero igual de importantes como es lidiar con el éxito. Siempre me había planteado como afrontar un fracaso y es tan o más esencial para u ...more
Michael
A great book for anyone interested in working for themselves...full of sage advice from an experienced person who knows what she's talking about! If you're even contemplating "making the leap" to freelance, be sure to read this beforehand so you can make your decision with eyes wide open.
DeAnna Knippling
I'm a freelancer; this is my second pass through the book (once before I left my day job, once after).

Ah, seeing the mistakes and the warnings I had received before (or as) I made them was bittersweet, but I feel like rereading it is helping me get back on track again.
Angela Penrose
I read the whole thing on Kris's site, for free, and bought the (hefty) book when it came out anyway. That should tell you something. Good stuff -- get it.
B
Packed with wonderful insights and tips about how the life of a freelancer (& writer in my case) could realistically be. Great Book!
Zachariah
Couldn't finish all of this but it was good. Really good. I feel when I do become a freelancer, this will really become my bible.
Ryan Viergutz
All freelancers need to read this, hands down. I read it online and, so far, it's still there.
Zeynep de Beauvoir
Zeynep de Beauvoir marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
R.
R. added it
Jun 19, 2015
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Rostik Danil
Rostik Danil marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Vivian Wolkoff
Vivian Wolkoff marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Stephanie Sullivan
Stephanie Sullivan is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
Bart
Bart marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Jennifer Campaniolo
Jennifer Campaniolo marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Nina
Nina added it
Mar 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...
The New Rebellion (Star Wars) The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1) X-Men Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1) Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)