Start by marking “Fossils Tell of Long Ago” as Want to Read:
Fossils Tell of Long Ago

Fossils Tell of Long Ago (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  17 reviews
What is a fossil? Sometimes it's the imprint of an ancient leaf in a rock. Or it could be the skeleton of a dinosaur that has turned to stone! With clear prose and lovely, full-color illustrations, award-winning author and illustrator Aliki describes the different ways fossils are formed and what they tell us about life on Earth long ago. This book also includes an activit ...more
Published March 21st 1990 by HarperCollins (first published January 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Fossils Tell of Long Ago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fossils Tell of Long Ago

Logan
Read this straight through twice and then again in the evening. The first page sucked us right in: "Once upon a time a huge fish was swimming around when along came a smaller fish. The big fish was so hungry it swallowed the other fish hole. The big fish died and sank to the bottom of the sea." It shows the process of how the big fish and the little fish inside it both become fossils and about the clues that fossils give us of the past. Accessible and informative for even younger kids. After rea ...more
Madeline
This informational book gives kids exciting facts on fossils, where they come from, and how they are made. Kids are told the difference between animals that become fossils compared to those who rot, how layers of mud compact animals to make fossils, and what scientists can learn about the environment from studying fossils they find. Kids are even encouraged to go out and see what they can find- maybe one day they can find a fossil themselves!

There is another Aliki book I share with my 2nd grade
Khadija Bensaadoun
"Fossils Tell of Long Ago", is a children;s literature book that explains how fossils are formed and how we use them to tell us about the past. This book can be used to teach a 2nd grade lesson on how fossils are formed. The students will learn what paleontologists do and how fossils become fossilized. For a fun activity I would show different pictures of fossils to the students and they would guess what animal was fossilized.

Guadalupe Ramirez
A big topic to cover in 3rd grade is fossils. Therefore, I think this book is great for an introduction on fossils. It is a non-fiction book that you can use for read aloud as it is not very long and it is written at a level where it is easy for young children to understand.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 13815 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.6 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Jessica Chambliss
This book teaches us the basics of fossils as a story! It introduces what a fossil is and how they form over time! This would be great for a lesson introducing what fossils are and what can become of fossils. This would be good for grades k-5.
Jill
A good book for children to help them understand the facts of fossils. It has bright illustrations and it is clearly written. Could be used for 1 - 3 level or a read-alone book for older students.
Mar 15, 2011 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone!
I thought it was good! I liked the end where it applied fossils to you and said you can make a fossil of your hand print with clay.

-Fossil Facts
-Application section in back
A
Concise, easy-to-understand scientific information explained in kid-friendly language with clear layouts. I love Aliki's books because they are so accessible to kids.
Suz
A good introduction to the topic of fossils. I read it to my 3rd graders, then let them investigate some real fossils with magnifying glasses.
Tricia
What a hit this book was with the girls. Basic picture book style explains the formation of fossils and what stories they tell us about our past.
Alicia
I like the diversity of the children drawn in this book. I also like the way it introduces the science behind fossils to young children.
Teri
Great nonfiction! Perfect for our whole rock unit, and perfect as a precursor to Thanksgiving Point's Museum of Ancient Life.
Jennifer Chapman
Good introduction to fossils for little kids. Target audience would be independent readers.
Amy
PERFECT for teaching about fossils telling a story about an animal of long ago.
Rana
Great little book on fossils. Accurate details, and very interesting.
Lisa
Lisa added it
Oct 24, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Janna
Janna added it
Aug 26, 2014
Nolan
Nolan added it
Aug 23, 2014
Sara Mcmillan
Sara Mcmillan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Aliki has written and illustrated many books, both fiction and nonfiction, loved by readers throughout the world. The books were inspired by a word, an experience, or the desire to find out. Aliki lives in London, England.
More about Aliki...
The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1) Mummies Made in Egypt Digging Up Dinosaurs Feelings