Start by marking “Hilda the Wicked Witch (Hilda the Wicked Witch #1)” as Want to Read:
Hilda the Wicked Witch (Hilda the Wicked Witch #1)

Hilda the Wicked Witch (Hilda the Wicked Witch #1)

3.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  422 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
A fairy-land witch gets transported to our world and struggles to go home.
Nook, 63 pages
Published July 23rd 2010 by Paul Kater

To ask other readers questions about Hilda the Wicked Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hilda the Wicked Witch

Angelfall by Susan EeFlat-Out Love by Jessica ParkThoughtless by S.C. StephensPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonHalf-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Cheap Kindle Books Worth Reading
313th out of 1,066 books — 1,081 voters
The Mating by Nicky CharlesDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëCutters vs. Jocks by Elizabeth Marx
Best Free eBooks
457th out of 590 books — 1,238 voters

More lists with this book...

Nenette
Nov 01, 2011 Nenette rated it liked it
A segue from Snow White's story where the wicked witch got thrown off into the present dimension of the mortal world while she was casting her spell. I'm giving it three stars for being enjoyable and entertaining. I have to note though that the writing is just too elementary for me (unless the intended audience are grade school pupils). There were a lot of unnecessary phrases that it seemed reading in context was unheard of. Anyway, I enjoyed it overall; and it's pretty decent coming from an aut ...more
K. Nelson-Collins
Dec 24, 2013 K. Nelson-Collins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bought-it
Ever wonder just what it is that a Wicked Witch actually does...if so then this book....this series by Paul Kater is just what the folks from Oz...Hanzel & Gretel, or any other story that has a Wicked Witch could ever offer. Each story has it's own tale and it's own ADVENTURE and while reading you'll never be disappointed...Where one story takes off another begins...
Come, let you fingers and your mind be transported to another time...another place to another world...Hilda's World...these sto
Sarah Crawford
Jan 16, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A motorcycle gang arrives at a town. Meanwhile, a guy is looking at an old book he is thinking of buying. The wicked witch wants to kill a girl and casts her spell, but things don't go right. The witch plans to go to the meadow but ends up outside a bar instead. She also seems to not be in the right time anymore, either. She teaches the bikers a lesson and they leave.

She's lost her magic necklace, though, and the more things that happen the more we realize she has no concept at all of what the p
Katya Mills
This is a lighthearted story introducing a wicked witch made famous now by prolific author Paul Kater in his ongoing series of many books. I have been reading one of the other tales, Lycadea, which I am enjoying, so I wanted to get back to the first book where Hilda arrives through a mishap with a mirror and an attempt to confront a black-haired beauty who may be stealing her thunder. She comes across to the humans like that stereotypical 'crazy lady', but when she manifests her magic, she gets ...more
Maria
Jul 15, 2013 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabet-book, 2013
The brief description of the book, a witch from a fairy tale ends up in our world and struggles to survive as she searches for her way home, seemed interesting.

At only 65 pages long this is one case where a short book does not always equal a quick read. I occasionally had a hard time getting through it as there were a number of oddly structured sentences that threw me out of the book.

I really wanted to like this story, and in the end I did. I liked Hilda and her struggles to understand and maneu
Joelle
Oct 08, 2015 Joelle rated it it was ok
The wicked witch is in search of a fair maiden to give a poisoned apple but in the process of transporting herself to her location she finds herself in an unknown place where there appears to be little magic. She begins a search for a magical book to help her find her way home. Along the way she comes across many different characters some of which get in her way and she has no remorse in using her magic to set them straight. It was short and sweet and to the point.
Susan
Oct 25, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Paul Kater's Hilda where the FairyTaleLand Wicked Witch ends up crossing into "this world" was very intriguing. She's one tough witch with more than meets the eye up her sleeves. I liked this one slightly less than Hilda - Snow White Revisited (by same author) but I would not have enjoyed the Snow White volume as much as I did without this one first. This book was a little rougher around the edges and doesn't leave me with an ear-to-ear grin remembering reading it, as the Snow White volume did, ...more
Carol
Oct 01, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
I downloaded this book for free as something (hopefully) amusing, a 'light' just in case read. I hit the jackpot. What a fun little book.

It is often said - timing is everything. Grimhilda was ready to transport herself (poisoned apple in hand) to visit Snow White when something goes wrong. She finds herself out west a little too close to some rude, annoying bikers. As she slowly realizes this world neither recognizes nor respects powerful witches she becomes more desperate to return home. While
Lise
Jun 16, 2013 Lise rated it really liked it
"Hilda, the Wicked Witch" is the first novel in "Hilda, the Wicked Witch" series. Grimhilda is supposed to be wicked and she is. But she is wicked in a fun way.

The story begins in three locations. One is with a motorcycle gang on its way into a bar. The other is in a bookshop and the third is in front of a mirror. With the slap of a hand all three parts come together and Hilda is let loose on our world.

Our world gets a pretty harsh meeting with Grimhilda the wicked witch – the witch from Snowwhi
Allison
An interesting change from the recent Witch themed books. Hilda, a witch, gets inadvertently transported to our time and struggles to find a way back to her Home. In the meantime, she meets and deals with random people and tries to find the person who can help her get back. I enjoyed the part where she deals with the Bikers, that was kind of funny.
Amanda
Dec 28, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
I have been putting off reading this because I expected it to be a fluffy story add-on for the Oz books.

I was WRONG.

-moderately short story so easy read

-humorous storyline of the wicked witch of the Grimm fairytale world being thrown into our current day world.

-playful irony that I personally enjoy and makes me respect the author for; irony is an art form that most authors don’t know how to do well

-Enjoyed the ending. It was a book that you’re not looking for a happy ending - just a satisfying o
Princesskhym
Mar 05, 2012 Princesskhym rated it it was ok
It's a short story about a witch who had mistakenly cast a spell and instead went into the the human world. She used magic, and met a lot of people while in the quest to find her lost necklace and trying to find a way to go back into her real world. I assume she came from Snow White's world as the book had references of her mirror,apple,and "the black-haired girl with her stupid songs".

Not bad for an amateur author, however I found some grammatical errors on the story, and there was lack of act
Janessa Jewel
Feb 15, 2016 Janessa Jewel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting

Well written, authentic, funny. A story that makes you fall in love with the villain. Absolutely delightful to read and a breath of fresh air in a form filled novel age.
Dee
Jul 15, 2013 Dee rated it liked it
This was a fun story about Hilda, who accidentally transports herself to a modern day world. Finding herself surrounded by unfamiliar things, she uses her powers as a witch to accommodate her needs.

I couldn’t help but laugh throughout the book. Just imagine going about your everyday routine, when suddenly a lady (Hilda) is in front of you wondering what this metal cart is (your car) and then you watch as she turns a bicyclist into a from. I just loved how she handled all her encounters throughou
Gail Sullivan
Jun 29, 2014 Gail Sullivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilda even that she was a wicked witch punished bad people and their bad deeds.

She did what she had got do to survive.
This store had humor and wanting me to know what was going to happen next. Tenderness was shown at times proving that there is some good in most people.
Magda
It's a story of a witch, who by accident is transported from her fairy-tale-like world to ours. She doesn't like what she finds here, but has no choice but to proceed in finding her only way out - her lost necklace.

What I liked in this book:
- Hilda - she's really amazing, wicked yet not bad, unwillingly humorous
- story itself - great idea, nicely told

Story was good and I really like it, but there are some serious editing issues, grammatical mistakes. I can get over these because of the story,
Ruby Ridge
Oct 08, 2014 Ruby Ridge rated it it was amazing
Loved this little book and can recommend it for readers of all ages. Seeing the world through the eyes if the 'wicked witch', what a great idea. Too short, I wanted more! I will definitely look out for the rest of the series
Louis Singley
This was a very enjoyable and short read, and I am looking forward to reading more in the series. I did have to take a few stars due to language issues. The author is obviously a non native english speaker and it shows a bit in the writing. His english is good, but there were enough oddities in the text to detract some from the story. It was by no means terrible, just distracting enough that I feel it should be mentioned. The story was unique and well told, and you will find yourself actually ro ...more
Shannon
Feb 06, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok
It's free and one of the first things I downloaded to my Kindle 2 years ago when I first got it. Since then I've read some outstanding books and some horrible books. I found this to be...not great, but again it was FREE. That's not to say all free books are bad, I've gotten a few that were great, Amanda Hocking's Hollowland and Michael Grant's Gone are a few I got in the same timeframe as this. I'll read the second book, cause I love Snow White.
Fantasylovingpirate
Oct 31, 2013 Fantasylovingpirate rated it it was amazing
The first book was very entertaining in a funny way. So I downloaded the second book. I'm only 20 pages in but the humor in the book has made me decide to read the rest of the series. I'm still very surprised that these books were free and I never have to scan through parts that I find boring and not needed. I think Paul Kater did a great job on remaking fairytales from my childhood into a more humorous story.
Jul 03, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Short Story about a witch who ends up out of the book which I am assuming was "Snow White" due to her facination which her posioned apple and enters into reality. She uses magic throughout her journey to try to find her magic necklace and to find the book that she came out off. She meets a variety of people such as a biker gang, old couple, police officers and has an obsession with coffee.
Cathy
May 30, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Free Kindle download of a self-published novella from a Dutch author. Hilda, or Grimhilda, is a witch from the days of magic who finds herself in our time through a screwed-up spell. With no knowledge of how to act in a non-magic America, Hilda causes car accidents when she takes off on her broom, confuses nice old people with powerful mages, and falls in love with coffee.
I enjoyed it.
Jimmy
Aug 01, 2014 Jimmy rated it did not like it
Recommended to Jimmy by: Barnes & Noble.com
The price is right for a read to pass a few hours. I didn't like the short story because Hilda wasn't just a wicked witch, but a bully. She's always been this way all her life, and I would have loved for to have been shot or locked up in a maximum security looney bin.
Thank you Paul Kater for helping me pass the time, but I won't be reading any more of the series.
Meghan
Sep 30, 2012 Meghan rated it liked it
I liked it. Can't say I loved it. Wanted to. It was interesting - wicked witches and bikers - and I have the next two downloaded in my Kindle, but haven't rushed to read them. It's basically the adventures of a witch in the present and it has a good idea behind the story, but some parts were weak and could have used some more ... um ... umph! Cute, though.
Peg
Dec 19, 2015 Peg rated it did not like it
Oh.my.god. This was AWFUL. The premise sounded cute, but the writing . . . I can't say much about the plot or characters because I was so completely distracted by the writing. Sentences that are so cumbersome and strange that it's almost humorous. I am going to assume that the publication of this book involved an inept translator or editor.
Karen
Sep 18, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about Grimhilda the wicked witch who somehow got lost in time and space and ended up in modern days USA. Her amazement and unfamiliarity of things modern put her in a few comical situations. It is an easy read and is the first in a series of books on her adventures here and at home.
Dawn
Jul 21, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it
Absolutely hilarious. Read the Kindle version and waiting for the next ones.(the 2nd one has been released on Kindle) The language issues and editing issues were minor and easily overlooked unless you were searching for them. I think some people have "proofing" OCD. Happy reading! DawnBee <3
Reading Wolf
What happens when a wicked witch lands in our world? Hilda finds herself in a world very unlike her own. She battles bikers, discovers the magic of coffee, and tries to find a way home. This 68 pp story was interesting and kept me wondering what could possibly happen next.
Lorraine Sears
Jul 19, 2013 Lorraine Sears rated it did not like it
Not an easy read due to the poor, clunky grammar and an odd tone; like reading a fairy-tale, but with a mildly engaging adult plot. I don't think this story knows whether it's for children or adults. Despite it only being a short story, I couldn't finish it.
LadyCalico
Jun 22, 2011 LadyCalico rated it liked it
Zipped through both Hilda the Wicked Witch and Hilda-Snow White Revisited. Both were cute entertaining little fractured fairy tales but not anything profound. They would provide a good way to get a giggle on a stormy evening when there's nothing good on TV.
  • What the Dead Fear
  • Dziewiąty Mag (Dziewiąty Mag, #1)
  • Mortal Ghost
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • Unicorn Bait
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • Eye of the Witch (Tony Marcella Mysteries, #2)
  • Amber Moon (Moon Trilogy, #2)
  • Oddly Normal Vol. 1
  • Murder, Mystery & Dating Mayhem (The Gray-Haired Knitting Detectives #1)
  • The Death Clock
  • Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade, #1)
  • Opowieści z Wilżyńskiej Doliny (Wilżyńska Dolina, #1)
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • Word Puppets
  • Fresh Blood
  • Beyond the Bougainvillea
  • Wiedźma opiekunka, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #3)
Paul Kater was born in the Netherlands in 1960. He quickly developed a feel for languages but did not pursue a career in those as his native language, Dutch, did not offer many options in that time.

After learning far too much about computers he started to make a living with them. During all that time he always wrote short stories, little things to entertain family and friends and also himself with
More about Paul Kater...

Hilda the Wicked Witch (8 books)
  • Hilda - Snow White Revisited (Hilda the Wicked Witch #2)
  • Hilda - The Challenge (Hilda the Wicked Witch #3)
  • Hilda and Zelda (Hilda the Wicked Witch, #4)
  • Hilda - Cats (Hilda the Wicked Witch, #5)
  • Hilda - Lycadea
  • Hilda - Back to school
  • Hilda - Dragon Master (Hilda the Wicked Witch)

“There was a rupture in the fabric of space inside the truck, and a rift developed that connected worlds and dimensions. William Connoley, travelling book-salesman and keeper of the portal between the worlds, saw shimmers of a room with a large, dark, wooden table laden with mysterious utensils, a chair, glass-like shards on the floor, vials, small windows, shelves with jars, and many other things he had never seen before. The vision, strange as it was, only lasted seconds, but it burnt itself into his memory. Then a bright flash of light took away his eyesight momentarily, while an invisible roller-coaster-like sensation filled his stomach with the most unwelcome and sickening feeling. There was a roaring sound, and suddenly smoke filled the cabin, chasing William into the street as he coughed and gasped for air. His eyes burnt from the grey fumes.” 0 likes