Start by marking “Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales” as Want to Read:
Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales

Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The well-known Ozark folklorist gathers together bawdy tales, previously considered unprintable, that provide insight into the region's rich exotic narrative tradition.
Published November 1st 1976 by University of Illinois Press

To ask other readers questions about Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales

Melki
Mar 07, 2013 Melki rated it really liked it
This book contains a great collection of wild and woolly tales about all manner of folksy fornication. Good gawd, those mountain folk sure loved to tell filthy stories!

I was blushing (and laughing) the whole time I was reading.

Here are tales too ticklish to tell your preacher, though certainly more than a few of the stories feature preachers and their rather "unholy" antics. Tsk, tsk!

The title tale is perhaps the cleanest story in the book:

One time there were two farmers that lived out on the
Sara Stuckey
Dec 05, 2007 Sara Stuckey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dirty-Joke Lovers!
Okay...my Dad somehow was given this book and he tried to throw it out, but NEVER NEVER try to throw away something you don't want your kids to read in the kitchen garbage and then not take the bag out!!

So there it was, sitting at the top of the trash, and with such an intriguing title to a 13-year-old, HOW COULD I NOT??

Scatological humor abounds!!
Tracy Alan Hughes
Mar 22, 2014 Tracy Alan Hughes rated it really liked it
Sometimes you get book recommendations from the most unexpected places. While visiting my home town in Arkansas a couple of years ago one of my oldest friends recommended this. I was a bit skeptical at first due to the title and the strange looks I received from used book sellers when inquiring about it. I finally found a nice edition online. Sometimes you also learn things from the most unexpected places. That the preservation of American folklore is a scholarly pursuit. (I had no idea) That th ...more
Sean A.
"the widow woman just stared at old Burdick's pecker. "For all I care" she says "you can cut the thing off and stick it up his ass...even when he was alive, Tom wasn't none too particular where he put it."
Wowshit! what a doozy! Nevermind all the scholarly back-of-the-book quotes and introduction in my edition, this is something goddamn else entirely. 101 of some of the most ribald scenes imaginable all about a page long and going straight for the gut! When i read it by myself at a coffeeshop i
Jordan Harper
Feb 09, 2013 Jordan Harper rated it it was amazing
Legendary at least in my family, this collection of X-rated Ozark folktails helps reveal some of the true character of the Ozarks. Also, it has really great names for genitals in it.
Alice
Jan 03, 2010 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly the oddest little book I've ever read. If you like bawdy, dirty jokes, you might like this collection of stories.
Ted
Dec 18, 2010 Ted is currently reading it
captivating, best read on bart.
sexy, funny, anthropologic, telling of folktales of the ozarks
a fun read
april violet
Aug 12, 2008 april violet rated it liked it
Shelves: tales-lore-myths
Daaang. There's some filthy folklore in this here book. Twitchet and tallywacker are my new favorite words.
Nathaniel
Nov 24, 2011 Nathaniel rated it liked it
This is easily one of the least politically correct books I've ever read, and that's kind of the point. For one, Randolph, the most avid collector of Ozark stories in history, died in 1980, and collected most of these stories in the 1930's. And this is very much backcountry humor to begin with: most of the stories involve either a man seducing a woman in a very crass and raunchy way or an equally raunchy (or at least profanity-laden) story about the origins of some local tradition or solidarity ...more
Chris
Apr 17, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
Hilarious collection of bawdy tales from the Ozarks. Must have a sense of humor. I well remember this as a much appreciated release from the exertions of Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow." From an academic perspective, I actually do think it's a great that someone's preserved some examples of the lighter, cruder side of oral traditions. We're human beings, not automatons, and needn't spend all of our time in serious pursuits.
Richard Jespers
KD recommended this for me after seeing that many of the stories came from or near Eureka Springs, Arkansas—where I had a two-month residency at the Writers’ Colony at Dairy Hollow. A great tribute to the oral tradition as most of these stories have been passed down from generation to generation, often with a birth from an earlier civilization (Irish, etc.).
Algernon
Aug 21, 2008 Algernon rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Folklorist Vance Randolph assembled the definitive collections of Ozark tales, and this volume existed for a long time as a forbidden, unpublishable gift box of filthy jokes from the mountains and surrounding regions.

The jokes are told in the dialect of the locals who told Randolph these tall tales and dirty jokes, unabashedly scatological and frank about sex, excretory functions, and body parts.

101 of these tales, accompanied by scholarly annotations whose presence only adds to the humor. Eve
William
Mar 10, 2014 William rated it it was amazing
This the perfect book for a sit down on the toilet. One hundred and one tales and jokes, all a little off color. This is my second time through the collection, but it has been so long since the first that the stories remain fresh. Might as well read rather than wasting your time in the bathroom.
Jim
Oct 11, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
just a little book of ribald stories, not my usual thing, but many of these are so perfect in their local idioms, there is a thirty page intro which i'm sure is well worth reading, but i won't.
Frederick
Nov 18, 2007 Frederick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Folklorists, fans of humor
Shelves: humor, sociology
These are jokes, gathered the same way as folk archivists gather songs. This sort of story-telling is as rare today as singing on the back porch with a banjo and a Coleman lantern.

The jokes are really stories. You've heard Travelling Salesman jokes, but these are Travelling Salesman tall tales. They are hilarious and you do learn a lot about how people in rural parts of America fifty years and more ago spoke.

A lot of people who like humorous writing won't find these stories particularly intrigui
Mike
Jun 02, 2010 Mike rated it liked it
Though this is touted as a seminal work by a great American folklorist, this book is basically a collection of dirty jokes from the Ozarks. Some of them are amusing, some are groaners, and others are more than a little distressing. If nothing else, I certainly learned some colorful and descriptive new vocabulary for parts of the human anatomy. And I'll admit to a few hearty chuckles in spite of myself.
Oct 28, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-class
Vance Randolph is awesome. This book is not at all bowlderized. I can picture old guys in bars telling these stories that often have to do with sex or excretion. I haven't read it in a while, so that may actually have been where/how the stories were collected. A great read for someone who automatically equates folklore with fairy tales and disney.
Jeremy
Feb 14, 2008 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre stories from North America's Ozark region. Full of crude jokes, incest, mistaken identities, and absurdities, it's wholesome fun for the entire family. Not recommended for those with an exclusively clean sense of humor.
Roland Volz
Jul 04, 2008 Roland Volz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this when I was much younger, before I had any grounding in folklore. I've only just started it, and already I can tell I'm going to get more out of it.
Justin
Sep 26, 2007 Justin rated it liked it
holy shit - these stories are raunchy. Hillbillies have weird senses of humor, and I couldn't stop reading about it.
Vern
Mar 12, 2008 Vern rated it it was amazing
naughty- funny book written way on back. all stories are 2 pages long and are great reading aloud in bed.
EROCK
Apr 13, 2008 EROCK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read if you have a sense of humor. Folktales from the 20s to the 50s. Outrageous.
Tamara
May 17, 2008 Tamara rated it liked it
Fescennine and fun. I learned some good new vocabulary words too, such as "twitchet."
Charles
Dec 27, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, humor
Very funny stuff in many ways. I need to reread this.
Cathy
Jun 26, 2012 Cathy added it
Bawdy Folktales + MidWestern World = So Much Delight
Noel Fagerhaugh
Sep 23, 2008 Noel Fagerhaugh rated it it was amazing
Funny, touching, too hilarious and familiar.
Will Kastner
Nov 20, 2011 Will Kastner rated it it was amazing
Of course I would give it five stars.
Krotpong
Jan 27, 2008 Krotpong rated it liked it
The origins of hillbilly humour.
Rus Segety
The funniest book I have ever read.
Randy
Dec 18, 2010 Randy rated it it was amazing
This collection of bawdy tales collected from the turn of the last century by Ozark scholar Vance Randolph will have you chuckling everywhere and laughing out right at the most inappropriate times. Folk tales as funny as any Chaucer ever told!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Folklore, Memoirs, and Other Writings
  • Best Short Stories of Ring Lardner
  • Northern Tales: Stories from the Native Peoples of the Arctic and Sub-Arctic Regions (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Creatures of the Kingdom