Start by marking “Boots And His Brothers: A Norwegian Tale” as Want to Read:
Boots And His Brothers: A Norwegian Tale

Boots And His Brothers: A Norwegian Tale

Three brothers set out to seek their fortune.
Published March 1st 1992 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Boots And His Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boots And His Brothers

I have read many folktales that deal with the whole “two brothers are selfish and rude characters while the third brother is a kind and polite character” storyline; but I have never read a version of this storyline from Norway before! This Norwegian version of the “three brothers who find their way in the world” archetype that shows up in many folktales and fairy tales is called “Boots and his Brothers,” which was retold by Eric A. Kimmel along with illustrations by Kimberly Bulcken Root and it
Mar 02, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Boots And His Brothers: A Norwegian Tale by Eric A. Kimmel, illustrated by Kimberly Bulcken Root is a retelling of a folk-tale about three brothers who attempt to perform three tasks to earn part of a kingdom.

A beggar woman tells three brothers about a king who will reward whomever performs three tasks. She rewards the kind, younger brother by giving him more information, and hints on how to discover ways to perform each task.

The text, featuring a bold font, is based on Kimmel's storytelling o
Mar 23, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
On a personal note I love this book. The copy I have a won when I was in Fourth grade. This book would be an excellent book for first, second, or third grade. A teacher could use this book is they are going to do a unit on Fairy tales, or folk tales. The teacher could read this book and other Norwegian fairy tales. If the students are old enough there could be a class room discussion about what elements the students find in a Norwegian fairy tale and how these tails might be different from some ...more
Dec 11, 2015 Christoffer rated it liked it
Three stars seems a pittance, but let's not forget that means "I liked it." And I did. I think I liked especially the illustrations, and secondly, of course, the young man, Boots. And it says "a Norwegian tale retold" on the cover, so that means one must at least take a glance. And I did.
Terri rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Boots and his brothers : a Norwegian tale by Eric A. Kimmel (1992), 1st ed
Paul rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Suzanne rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Jan 02, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations of the sky.
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Rev Gary
Rev Gary rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Elias Alban
Elias Alban rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Christina rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2013
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache
More about Eric A. Kimmel...