Start by marking “Japan - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture” as Want to Read:
Japan - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture

Japan - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Japan is at a crossroads. The postwar economic miracle that brought it unprecedented development and prosperity is over. Since the publication of the first Culture Smart! guide, it has been overtaken by China as the world’s second-largest economy. The balance of power in Asia has shifted and new players are entering the field. Loss of influence abroad, economic pressure at ...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Kuperard (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Japan - Culture Smart!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Japan - Culture Smart!

Barbara
As the title says it's an useful guide to avoid imbarassing situation in dealing with japanese people (inside and outside Japan). This guide was meant for business american men, but nonethe less it's quite enjoyable and useful.
Tom Marcinko
Dec 09, 2012 Tom Marcinko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in prep for a trip to Tokyo. It was useful.

Some quotes:

There had already been a precedent for such a[n environmental] movement at the end of the nineteenth century, led by Tanaka Shozo, arising out of appalling copper-mining pollution in parts of northern Honshu.

Japan’s “Outcasts”…
…burakumin, or less acceptably, eta—the historic “unclean” underclass associated with the production of leather and other blood-related industries, such as the running of slaugterhouses.
…there is a significant “no
Abner Huertas
Jan 01, 2016 Abner Huertas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good introduction to what you need to know about Japan. After this book you'll have a better idea of their culture, customs, and what to do and don't when you're there.
Bobby Baden
This is a good introduction to Japan, but doesn't quite satisfy for one who is already mildly familiar with the country. Some info is inaccurate, but for the most part you will get a brief overview of life in Japan.
Nick
May 08, 2013 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
A really decent and light read. Nothing in depth, more of a cultural and customs survival guide to browse through before going and can be an introductory book and has decent insights for everyone, not just the middle aged business man. I really don't think the historical end does much justice, but the region has so much history and I'm sure the author really had to cram it in. There are better books, but this is ok for hopping on the plane and reading before you land.
Daniel Kukwa
Dec 05, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Now THIS is a little gem that lives up to the series title of "Culture Smart". Full of little tid-bits -- both humourous and pointed -- designed to keep you from embarrassing yourself (to various degress) in a culture that can seem exceedingly alien to North Americans. It's the perfect compliment to the "Lonely Planet" guides, and it proved invaluable on more than one occasion during my 2009 trip to Japan.
Marek
Jun 06, 2013 Marek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains some interesting and useful information about culture and etiquette in Japan. I've read it before my trip to Japan and it was definitely worth it. I would recommend this little book to everyone who travels to Japan as it can help you to avoid some mistakes or to prevent some misunderstandings brought about by different customs and traditions.
Amanda
Jul 08, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
Excellent cultural overview for a first-time Japan visitor. A bunch of key concepts are touched on, and it helps a foreigner feel a bit more comfortable with attitudes and cultural thinking that is (often) very different than the West. Bought and gave away a few copies of this to friends and family that came to visit me while I was in Japan.
Jasmine Marie {#thebookishmama}
Apr 19, 2016 Jasmine Marie {#thebookishmama} rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
Very informative. Gave us a perfect snapshot of things to know for our trip in a short, brief but thorough guide. I really like the Culture Smart series (I've read the Costa Rica one too.)
☆Meredith (メルたん)♪
While it had a good deal of interesting information (like I didn't know you shouldn't cross your chopsticks when setting them upon the holder), it seemed more geared towards middle-aged business-men. I have yet to find a guide to Japan for teens! D:
Kerry
Apr 28, 2012 Kerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I will have to fill in stars and review when I return from Japan in June and can determine if any of the information in this book was helpful.
Eric
Oct 05, 2013 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
Part of my ongoing quest to learn about Japan while my son is there. This is an accessible and engaging introduction to Japanese culture.
Jessica Nguyen
For someone who knows nothing about Japanese culture, customes and everything, the book offers good elementary education.
Donalyn
Jun 03, 2013 Donalyn rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
A few too many exclamations points and condescending remarks about travelers, but useful for my Japan trip.
Aran Chandran
Sep 10, 2011 Aran Chandran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-kindle, a-reference
A great up to date introduction of the society and people of Japan. Good to read before a trip to Japan.
Spring
Oct 22, 2007 Spring rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers
Shelves: travel
Good little quick read.
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Julian
Julian added it
Apr 26, 2016
Radu
Radu is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2016
apoxie
apoxie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Lise-Lotte Andersson
Lise-Lotte Andersson marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Marloes
Marloes rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Suzan
Suzan rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
May
May marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Mike Trevors
Mike Trevors rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Christina Zable
Christina Zable rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
  • Japanese Hiragana & Katakana for Beginners: First Steps to Mastering the Japanese Writing System (CD-ROM Included)
  • The Otaku Encyclopedia: An Insider's Guide to the Subculture of Cool Japan
  • Japanese the Manga Way: An Illustrated Guide to Grammar and Structure
  • Japanese Schoolgirl Confidential: How Teenage Girls Made a Nation Cool
  • Cool Japan: A Guide to Tokyo, Kyoto, Tohoku and Japanese Culture Past and Present
  • Impressionists
  • Kawaii!: Japan's Culture of Cute
  • A Geek in Japan: Discovering the Land of Manga, Anime, Zen, and the Tea Ceremony
  • Leonardo Da Vinci And His Super-Brain (Dead Famous)
  • Kanji Pict-o-Graphix: Over 1,000 Japanese Kanji and Kana Mnemonics
  • Clueless in Tokyo: An Explorer's Sketchbook of Weird and Wonderful Things in Japan
  • Japan (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Chicken Soup for the Golden Soul: Heartwarming Stories for People 60 and Over (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Incredible Incas
  • Vicious Veg (Horrible Science)
  • Maze: Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle