Start by marking “The Resisters #1: The Resisters” as Want to Read:
The Resisters #1: The Resisters

The Resisters #1: The Resisters (The Resisters #1)

In the tradition of Robert Heinlein and Ray Bradbury, million-copy bestselling Halo author and game developer Eric Nylund brings action-packed science fiction to a young audience with this riveting children's debut. Twelve-year-old Ethan Blackwood has always known exactly what he wanted—to win the state soccer championship, get into the best high school, and become an astr ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2011)

An Odd1
Apr 18, 2015 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Modernized John Christopher's Tripod series, where boy joins fight against aliens exerting mind control https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... Gory brawls build to local battle. Setup is clumsy, but asks for answers worth exploring. Hero has standard to reach from cowardly start, to girl I like better now. Kids have deadline to puberty, then struggle and weapons change. I read serieses for ages above and below mine, but disremember seeing any overlap niches.

Starts like a video game, where kid
Gregory
Eric Nylund (who I know as the guy who writes the good Halo books) sets up a new series about elementary school kids who use sentient(?) mecha-bugs to fight off the aliens bugs who have taken over our planet. While it does sound like a pretty standard plot with kids substituting for adults (since it's book for kids), but there are a few things that set it apart. We start off with our main character, Ethan Blackwood, playing mecha-soccer (which is weird because even though the book is just beginn ...more
Randy
May 06, 2011 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young Ethan Blackwood had a normal life until he's grabbed by two other kids, a boy and a girl, and forced to face uncomfortable truths. He doesn't believe their story, it's too crazy, until they show him the proof.

Fifty+ years before, aliens had seized control of Earth, blanketing the Earth with mind control the instant they achieved orbit. What this race hadn't counted on was that children that hadn't gone through puberty weren't controlled. Gathering them into camps until they did didn't work
Tami
Apr 27, 2011 Tami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't received yet, just received notice I had won. 4/27/11
Received Saturday I think. I plan to start after my current read is done. 5/2/11
Started and finished Saturday 5/7/11

Ethan is the captian of his soccer team even though he is younger than most of the other players. He thinks soccer is the ultimate battle until he meets Madison and Felix. He is then thrown into a battle that only children can fight to save humans minds from alien control.

I thought this book would be a fun read for my ne
May 17, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for 5th/6th grade boys. Reads like a combo of Power Rangers and Transformers. Who wouldn't like giant symbiant bugs with full weaponry?
D.J.
Jul 29, 2014 D.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few interesting ideas, but so massively formulaic and one-dimensional that I can't recommend it to anyone. There are much, much better books to spend a day or two with.
Cheryl
May 09, 2017 Cheryl marked it as library-priority  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w-washoe
Kinda like K.A. Applegate's Animorphs series?
Adam Bouzianis
Jan 20, 2016 Adam Bouzianis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Resisters, by Eric Nylund, is a book based in a dystopian future that is about a kid named Ethan Blackwood and how he stumbled into the frightening world of the outside. He eventually joins a secret organization trying to prevent human extinction. Ethan is a normal thirteen year old kid who is the captain of his varsity soccer team and lives a perfect life. He has an older sister, Emma, and he has a pair of twin siblings who are younger than him. He was playing in the District Championship f ...more
Ariana Wilson
This book was really good. It first began with a boy. His name was Ethan. One night, after his soccer game, he got kidnapped by two kids, a boy and a girl. The girl's name was Madison, and the boy's name was Felix. They told him that fifty years ago the world got invaded by aliens. The aliens tryed to take over everyone's mind on that planet, but for some reason it only worked on adults after they hit puberty. Ethan thought they were crazy, until they showed him the giant bugs hiding in a huge ...more
Leslie Preddy
Apr 01, 2011 Leslie Preddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 4-7
After an important soccer game one evening, Ethan is thrown into a war for his world. It is a futuristic world where sports are played wearing a 600 pound exoskeleton and students must have good grades, be well-rounded with extra-curricular activities and are tested for mental, physical, and social readiness for high school. Ethan is an MVP soccer player who is kidnapped from his yard by two very young resistance fighters. The only problem is that Ethan didn’t even know there was anything to res ...more
Jnase1
Feb 16, 2013 Jnase1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Resisters is a story about a boy named Ethan who lives is a storybook neighborhood. He is a typical teenage boy who seems to be living in a typical town, but soon finds out that his neighborhood and the entire world is not what it seems. One night after the big soccer game in which he scored the winning goal, he runs into Madison and Felix, two teenagers who are part of the Resisters, an underground organization fighting the alien invaders who have taken over the world. Apparently these alie ...more
L_manning
Apr 26, 2011 L_manning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun book! The Resisters is the story of Ethan Blackwood. A sports and science standout at his school, Ethan's future is looking very bright. Then he meets two strangers who tell him that his world is not as it seems. His life is quickly turned upside down, and he begins a new adventure.

The action goes at a quick pace. It's exciting, but still age appropriate. It reads a bit like a video game, with lots of action punctuated by some story thrown in there. I think it's a great summ
Orion W
Nov 09, 2016 Orion W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ethan is a normal kid until one day two kids named Felix and Madison Tell him that the world taken over by aliens called the Ch,zar 50 years ago. Soon he sees them fight the aliens with robot bug suits. He crashes his bug into a soccer field and later has to help Felix and Madison find their bug. Then he crashes into a train to save his sister. He wakes up in the underground base. He goes home and is captured but is saved by the Resisters.
At the beginning of the book Ethan is kind of cowardly an
Rachel
Nov 20, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The Resisters is about a boy named Ethan who lives in the future where world war four has passed and where technology is really advanced. After walking home from a soceer game Ethan meets two kids about the same age as they are and they tell him that the world was invaded by aliens who stopped world war four. They give him a choice to join them or to go back to the life he has already.And obviously he joins them.
I picked this book up because it looked really interesting because of the cover.
I fi
Alex Rennick
Eric Nylund pinged on my radar as first a Halo author, second all other things. This shaded my perception of the world he created here, where mechanical suits are standard soccer gear. First thought? Spartans in downtime.

Once I got past that, the read was good. Not amazingly entrancing, like his Mortal Coils series, but this is meant for a younger audience and definitely hits what it's aiming for there.

Solidly written, with characters that fall outside the stereotype - example being the 'bruiser
Jeff Raymond
Every so often a book comes along that surprises you. Eric Nylund is probably best known for his Halo novels, which I have not read and pretty much automatically dismissed. This is a new series he's putting out for kids about a number of insurgent types trying to rid the world of their buglike alien overlords who have taken over Earth.

It's a quick-paced, action-style novel that was actually a lot of fun. The story doesn't waste much time to get rolling, and while it's not going to win any awards
The Fizza
It's like Manga without the art!

Sadly though, this book was not written for me, but I could see how kids might like it. And while I'd actually give it 1 and a half stars I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone.

It's like Battletach and Tripods had a child... and it was less clever than expected. But clearly the audience for this book must be much younger than I'd expected.
Heather
With the premise that alien invaders have peacefully subjugated all adults on the planet and no one even thinks of resisting, I thought of John Christopher's classic Tripods trilogy. Christopher's work is more complex and was more interesting to me. I didn't really connect with Nylund's characters, and much of the plot felt too coincidentally perfect. However, I think plenty of today's kids will enjoy the Resisters' fast-paced adventure full of machines and technology that would look at home in ...more
Jonathan Laurie
Nov 02, 2015 Jonathan Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good Sci-Fi book if you feel like something that you can pick up and jump right into. It doesn't spend too much time setting up the plot, but just kinda throws you right in the middle from the start. Despite some predictability flaws, and perhaps being too short, I still liked it, and it has a pretty interesting angle on the well worn alien invasion plot. :) It left me wanting to read the next book, so I recommend it.
Stephanie Pitman
Great plot and lots of action. Kept mine and my 10 year olds attention. First chapter there's a bit of a learning curve for a younger reader (which is who this is geared toward) due to author jumping right into narrative and action without any type of explanation this is a future earth, but after a chapter or two it's all starting to get explained. We were both sad it was done and are hoping there's a sequel. We want to know what happens to Ethan and his family.
Jefferson Martin
The Resisters is a great book that is science fiction. It’s rare for books to catch my attention but this book caught my attention right away. Just so you know I am one of those people who do not like to read a lot of books.
The main character’s name is Ethan. The story is set in the future where Ethan grows up in a city where all the grownups are under mind control. This book is so good I am going to give it five stars.
Kira
I picked this book up because of the cover. I decided to read it because the plot sounded a lot like a modern version of When the Tripods Came. It definitely has similar elements, but the organic-mechanical bug fighting suits are an interesting twist. I can see this book being a good introduction to sci-fi for a kid who hasn't read a lot.
Dru
Oct 18, 2011 Dru rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-sci-fi, j-adventure
This is a book 10 year old Drew would have loved and one that 29 year old Drew liked. It's a typical story, main character discovers the world is not as it appears and with the aid of two friends he learn to harness his new found powers. In this book the world has been taken over by aliens and all adults are brainwashed, but pre-pubescent kids are immune to the brainwashing, so they are the ones who fight the aliens. This is a good start to what should be a good series.
Heather
Feb 25, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of action and fast paced this science fiction middle school read is both engaging and well worth the time! A start to a new series that left me wanting more, but darn those cliffhangers. The Resisters by Eric Nylund is a clean read and a guaranteed hit with the boys! I can't wait to get a copy for my library.
Deb
Read this book as I intend to use it as a Battle book this year. A boy is kidnapped and discovers, after much disbelief, that the world he thinks he know is completely faked by a group of aliens that are mining Earth until everything is used up. He joins the resisters who use giant robotic bugs to fight the enemy. Kind of weird.
Christina Dudley
Listened to this audio book while driving from WA to CA after the 12-year-old and 10YO read and enjoyed the book. An exciting and inventive tale reminiscent of TRANSFORMERS crossed with THE TRUMAN SHOW. Clearly set up to become a series, I was nevertheless relieved by the hanging ending because I wanted a break from the action and Insurmountable Obstacles.
Mitchell
A goofy YA - aliens take over the world 50 years ago by taking over the mind of all adults except those underground. So kids have to fight them off with giant robot insects? I think I've read this story before but this is twisted a bit differently. But kind of cute. 3.5 of 5.
Carterkempgmail.Com
I had hopes for this sci-fi adventure, but was disappointed by the reliance on fight scenes over development of a believable future where the Earth has been taken over by a race of aliens. Still, there are kids who'll enjoy this.
Ethan Redmace
Nov 25, 2016 Ethan Redmace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main character's name is Ethan!? Sign me up!
Becky
Apr 07, 2011 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something about this book just didn't work for me. I never became interested in the characters or the plot. Middle grade read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Z. Rex
  • Saving Sky
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • The Path of Names
  • The Keepers of the Flame (Fire-us, #2)
  • Earthfall
  • Earth Force Rising (Bounders #1)
  • My Big Mouth: 10 Songs I Wrote That Almost Got Me Killed
  • Double Vision (Double Vision #1)
  • Faradawn (The Fog Mound)
  • Rise of the Corpses (The Undertakers, #1)
  • The Journey (Animorphs, #42)
  • Popular Clone (The Clone Chronicles, #1)
  • Johnny Swanson
  • Falcon in the Glass
  • The Challenge (Steel Trapp, #1)
  • Call of the Klondike: A True Gold Rush Adventure
  • Stealing Air

The Resisters (4 books)
  • Sterling Squadron (The Resisters, #2)
  • Titan Base (The Resisters, #3)
  • Operation Inferno (The Resisters, #4)