Start by marking “The Resisters #1: The Resisters” as Want to Read:
The Resisters #1: The Resisters

The Resisters #1: The Resisters (The Resisters #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In the tradition of Robert Heinlein and Ray Bradbury, million-copy bestselling Halo author and game developer Eric Nylund brings action-packed science fiction to a young audience with this riveting children's debut. Twelve-year-old Ethan Blackwood has always known exactly what he wanted—to win the state soccer championship, get into the best high school, and become an astr ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Resisters #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Resisters #1

Randy
Young Ethan Blackwood had a normal life until he's grabbed by two other kids, a boy and a girl, and forced to face uncomfortable truths. He doesn't believe their story, it's too crazy, until they show him the proof.

Fifty+ years before, aliens had seized control of Earth, blanketing the Earth with mind control the instant they achieved orbit. What this race hadn't counted on was that children that hadn't gone through puberty weren't controlled. Gathering them into camps until they did didn't work
Tami
Haven't received yet, just received notice I had won. 4/27/11
Received Saturday I think. I plan to start after my current read is done. 5/2/11
Started and finished Saturday 5/7/11

Ethan is the captian of his soccer team even though he is younger than most of the other players. He thinks soccer is the ultimate battle until he meets Madison and Felix. He is then thrown into a battle that only children can fight to save humans minds from alien control.

I thought this book would be a fun read for my ne
D.J.
A few interesting ideas, but so massively formulaic and one-dimensional that I can't recommend it to anyone. There are much, much better books to spend a day or two with.
Good for 5th/6th grade boys. Reads like a combo of Power Rangers and Transformers. Who wouldn't like giant symbiant bugs with full weaponry?
Jnase1
The Resisters is a story about a boy named Ethan who lives is a storybook neighborhood. He is a typical teenage boy who seems to be living in a typical town, but soon finds out that his neighborhood and the entire world is not what it seems. One night after the big soccer game in which he scored the winning goal, he runs into Madison and Felix, two teenagers who are part of the Resisters, an underground organization fighting the alien invaders who have taken over the world. Apparently these alie ...more
Leslie Preddy
Oct 11, 2012 Leslie Preddy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 4-7
After an important soccer game one evening, Ethan is thrown into a war for his world. It is a futuristic world where sports are played wearing a 600 pound exoskeleton and students must have good grades, be well-rounded with extra-curricular activities and are tested for mental, physical, and social readiness for high school. Ethan is an MVP soccer player who is kidnapped from his yard by two very young resistance fighters. The only problem is that Ethan didn’t even know there was anything to res ...more
L_manning
This was a very fun book! The Resisters is the story of Ethan Blackwood. A sports and science standout at his school, Ethan's future is looking very bright. Then he meets two strangers who tell him that his world is not as it seems. His life is quickly turned upside down, and he begins a new adventure.

The action goes at a quick pace. It's exciting, but still age appropriate. It reads a bit like a video game, with lots of action punctuated by some story thrown in there. I think it's a great summ
Alex Rennick
Eric Nylund pinged on my radar as first a Halo author, second all other things. This shaded my perception of the world he created here, where mechanical suits are standard soccer gear. First thought? Spartans in downtime.

Once I got past that, the read was good. Not amazingly entrancing, like his Mortal Coils series, but this is meant for a younger audience and definitely hits what it's aiming for there.

Solidly written, with characters that fall outside the stereotype - example being the 'bruiser
Rachel
The Resisters is about a boy named Ethan who lives in the future where world war four has passed and where technology is really advanced. After walking home from a soceer game Ethan meets two kids about the same age as they are and they tell him that the world was invaded by aliens who stopped world war four. They give him a choice to join them or to go back to the life he has already.And obviously he joins them.
I picked this book up because it looked really interesting because of the cover.
I fi
Jeff Raymond
Every so often a book comes along that surprises you. Eric Nylund is probably best known for his Halo novels, which I have not read and pretty much automatically dismissed. This is a new series he's putting out for kids about a number of insurgent types trying to rid the world of their buglike alien overlords who have taken over Earth.

It's a quick-paced, action-style novel that was actually a lot of fun. The story doesn't waste much time to get rolling, and while it's not going to win any awards
Heather
With the premise that alien invaders have peacefully subjugated all adults on the planet and no one even thinks of resisting, I thought of John Christopher's classic Tripods trilogy. Christopher's work is more complex and was more interesting to me. I didn't really connect with Nylund's characters, and much of the plot felt too coincidentally perfect. However, I think plenty of today's kids will enjoy the Resisters' fast-paced adventure full of machines and technology that would look at home in ...more
WKWyverns
4K got this booktalk first.
Kira Yeversky
I picked this book up because of the cover. I decided to read it because the plot sounded a lot like a modern version of When the Tripods Came. It definitely has similar elements, but the organic-mechanical bug fighting suits are an interesting twist. I can see this book being a good introduction to sci-fi for a kid who hasn't read a lot.
Dru
This is a book 10 year old Drew would have loved and one that 29 year old Drew liked. It's a typical story, main character discovers the world is not as it appears and with the aid of two friends he learn to harness his new found powers. In this book the world has been taken over by aliens and all adults are brainwashed, but pre-pubescent kids are immune to the brainwashing, so they are the ones who fight the aliens. This is a good start to what should be a good series.
Jefferson Martin
The Resisters is a great book that is science fiction. It’s rare for books to catch my attention but this book caught my attention right away. Just so you know I am one of those people who do not like to read a lot of books.
The main character’s name is Ethan. The story is set in the future where Ethan grows up in a city where all the grownups are under mind control. This book is so good I am going to give it five stars.
Christina Dudley
Listened to this audio book while driving from WA to CA after the 12-year-old and 10YO read and enjoyed the book. An exciting and inventive tale reminiscent of TRANSFORMERS crossed with THE TRUMAN SHOW. Clearly set up to become a series, I was nevertheless relieved by the hanging ending because I wanted a break from the action and Insurmountable Obstacles.
Heather
Full of action and fast paced this science fiction middle school read is both engaging and well worth the time! A start to a new series that left me wanting more, but darn those cliffhangers. The Resisters by Eric Nylund is a clean read and a guaranteed hit with the boys! I can't wait to get a copy for my library.
Mitchell
A goofy YA - aliens take over the world 50 years ago by taking over the mind of all adults except those underground. So kids have to fight them off with giant robot insects? I think I've read this story before but this is twisted a bit differently. But kind of cute. 3.5 of 5.
Kevin
I liked this Sci-fi book about kids in super bug suits that have to protect against an alien threat. It was written by one of the guys involved with Halo, so it's got a good story to it.
I picked this up because Mr. Nylund is a legend in the video game world. Unfortunately, the book was lacking. It would have made a good game, I think, but it was not a good book.
Sherry
12 year-old protagonist Ethan Blackwell. Aliens took over the earth 50 years ago, controlling the minds of everyone past puberty.
Amy
High action sci-fi alien thriller with insect fighting machines and tons of fight scenes for the kid who needs the plot to along quickly.
Becky
Something about this book just didn't work for me. I never became interested in the characters or the plot. Middle grade read.
Mandy
Summary:
After Ethan is kidnapped by two kids, he learns that the world is being taken over by insect-looking aliens.
Emily
Was popular at spring booktalks, lots of requests for this title. Mentioned it in our library's blog.
Jay
Nothing particularly original in the premise, but a solid YA sci-fi #1 in a series.
Tony
I really liked the storyline in this book and the author left me wanting more.
Molly
Grades 5+ Read this in two days I really needed a good sci-fi
Dean
this book was great but an unbelievable cliff-hanger
Lake
Good start to very interesting series (hopefully).
  • Earthfall
  • The Path of Names
  • The Keepers of the Flame (Fire-us, #2)
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • Double Vision (Double Vision, #1)
  • Saving Sky
  • Rise of the Corpses (The Undertakers, #1)
  • A Boy and His Bot
  • Wolven: The Twilight Circus (Wolven, #2)
  • The Challenge (Steel Trapp, #1)
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper (Simon Bloom, #1)
  • Fang of the Vampire (Scream Street, #1)
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • Stealing Air
  • The Deception (Animorphs, #46)
  • Faradawn (The Fog Mound)
  • Invisible City (The Joshua Files, #1)
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
Halo: The Fall of Reach Halo: First Strike Halo: Ghosts of Onyx Halo, Books 1-3 (The Flood; First Strike; The Fall of Reach) Mortal Coils (Mortal Coils, #1)