Start by marking “His Shoes Were Far Too Tight: Poems by Edward Lear” as Want to Read:
His Shoes Were Far Too Tight: Poems by Edward Lear

His Shoes Were Far Too Tight: Poems by Edward Lear

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Renowned author Daniel Pinkwater and best-selling poet and artist Calef Brown team up to champion the ridiculous! These endlessly fascinating and imaginative poems are as fresh and delightful today as they were when Edward Lear wrote them more than a hundred years ago—from "The Owl and the Pussycat" to "The Pobble Who Has No Toes." This charming book proves that, sometimes ...more
Published March 30th 2011 by Chronicle Books (first published March 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about His Shoes Were Far Too Tight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Shoes Were Far Too Tight

Rebecca Ostrega
Dec 01, 2015 Rebecca Ostrega rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
This is my third poetry book review:

I found this book more to be one of nonsense poems and had a difficult time reading it without the sing-song tone if rhyming poems. The illustrations were done in watercolor and the faces on the animals had very human characteristics. Overall, the book is very colorful and each page had a main background color and then other brighter colors to better stand out. The pictures look to be done with paint.

The poems include, "The Pobble Who Has No Toes", "The Owl an
Kelly
May 24, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Edward Lear is known by many as the father of nonsense poetry. While silly poems existed before Lear started writing, his title is still well-deserved, since he wrote quite a large amount of nonsense poetry. In 1846, A Book of Nonsense, his first collection of nonsense poems was published.

As a child, Daniel Pinkwater especially enjoyed reading The Complete Nonsense of Edward Lear, which he repeatedly borrowed from his local library. Daniel has written a marvelous introduction to this collection
Martie
Jan 02, 2016 Martie rated it really liked it
2016 reading challenge includes a poetry book, which I was dreading. But when author Edward Lear was listed as " father of nonsense poetry" I thought I would try. it was fun and silly
Renee
Jun 28, 2014 Renee rated it did not like it
I read this book to the smallest family member and while there were parts she found funny, overall I found this to be very tedious and not at all enjoyable.
Barbara
Jun 22, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Although many relish the nonsense verses of Edward Lear because of how imaginative and silly they are, they have never really been my cup of tea. The introduction lets readers know who this man was and celebrates his words, revived again in this partial collection, and seen from a fresh perspective through the acrylic illustrations of Calef Brown. My favorite poem is "Nonsense Alphabet" which goes through the alphabet and shouts out each letter at the end of each verse. Reading these poems and c ...more
Donalyn
Author Daniel Pinkwater and illustrator Calef Brown, team up to reintroduce young readers to the nonsense poetry of Edward Lear. Pinkwater's brief bio and introductory poem about Lear launch this collection and Brown's absurd drawings keep it going. I wonder how this book plays with its intended audience.
Jen
Aug 17, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: addison-books
We took this out of the library but may have to purchase it for ourselves. We keep renewing it and have read it many times over! Calef Brown's illustrations make Lear's poetry even more brilliant and fun to read.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Jul 23, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
Pinkwater & Brown pair up to present Edward Lear's poetry in a new way. The illustrations are great and many of the poems are familiar to most adults. Great way to introduce kids to some of Lear's poetry.
Cherie