Start by marking “On Wings of Eagles” as Want to Read:
On Wings of Eagles

On Wings of Eagles

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  7,377 Ratings  ·  375 Reviews
When two of his American employees were held hostage in Iran, H. Ross Perot and a select group of his employees took matters into their own hands. They faced incalculable odds on a mission only true heroes would have dared....
Published by Signet (first published September 28th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about On Wings of Eagles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Wings of Eagles

Judity
Jul 29, 2012 Judity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is personal for me since I worked for Ross Perot's firm, EDS, in San Francisco during that time. I remember seeing the letters from co-workers in Iran posted on the computer room's bulletin board. I watched on TV the news about the escape of EDS people from Iran. How many bosses would help get employees out of danger like he did? This fantastic book will explain why Ross Perot became a hero to me.
Brent Soderstrum
Jan 30, 2016 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follett steps away from his fiction thrillers to tell the real life story of two EDS employees working in Iran who were arrested and held in an Iranian jail without being charged with anything in 1979 prior to the Iranian hostage situation. I knew nothing about this till reading the book.

I also gained a new found respect for Ross Perot, who was the owner of EDS and later became a presidential canidate. The only thing I knew about Ross Perot was that he was a short guy with big ears. I found out
Jen
Jan 13, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2013
This book is amazing. Really, you couldn't make this stuff up even if you wanted. I must thank one of my faculty members for "making" me read On Wings of Eagles. Ken Follett is one my favorite (well, maybe my favorite) authors, and I hadn't even known that this book existed until December 2012.

On Wings of Eagles is the 100% true story of the rescue operation that Ross Perot organizes after two of his EDS employees working in the Iran branch are jailed. This story takes place in 1978-79, not long
Marilyn
This is an awesome book. Three reasons: 1) Follett is an excellent story teller, 2)It's an "espionage/thriller," sort of, 3) it is TRUE!
You all know Ross Perot. Well he owns EDS (Electronic Digital Systems). In 1979 he had a bunch of his guys in Iran putting together a Social Security system for them AND a Medicare system for them. At one point...the Iranians stopped paying. After about 6 months they were owing around 4 billion $$. About this time the revolution broke out and there was some pol
Linda
Remember the Iranian hostage crisis of '79? Well, in 1978--before things arrived at that disastrous point in Iran's revolution against the Shah--several Americans found themselves imprisoned (in actuality, kidnapped and held for ransom) by the Iranian government, only to be abandoned by the American Embassy while the country fell apart around them.

Now remember Ross Perot of the 90s presidential races? Well, the men kidnapped were senior executives of Perot's company EDS. Unwilling to leave his
Streed's  Reads
Feb 16, 2016 Streed's Reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: politicians, international travellers, historians
"On Wings of Eagles" is a heroic story about vastly different cultures during a religiously-motivated revolution, and how they directly impacted the lives of to two wrongly-imprisoned businessmen as well as their rescuers. The rescue effort would not have achieved fruition had it not been for the vision, funding, and ambition of Ross Perot, founder of Electronic Data Systems (EDS). He pulled together an extraordinary team and, with vast resources, would not accept failure as an option.

The first
Atilio Frasson
No es un desastre como "En el blanco" (el otro libro malo que leí de Follett), pero lo que tiene este es que es aburrido, lo único que tiene son las últimas cien páginas donde se vuelve entretenido, pero para eso primero hay que leer quinientas.

"Las alas de águila" es una historia real. Dos empresarios estadounidense son metidos en prisión sin motivos aparente. Entre todo esto, comienza una revolución contra el sah mientras Ross Perot, el multimillonario dueño de la empresa, comienza a buscar la
Marco
Jan 05, 2014 Marco rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently even the greatest authors have a price. On Wings of Eagles is based on real events: 2 American businessmen are put in jail with non formalized bribery accusations in the middle of the Iran Khomeini's Iran revolution, and they managed to escape back home. The story is told as told to the author by the main characters, one of which, Perot, pretty much commissioned the book. As a result the book reads like a puff job, where Perot and his executives are hailed as heroes for actions that a ...more
Kim
Jul 15, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The symbol of the eagle was something I remember from my childhood...on paperweights, small statues, you name it. Eagle=EDS. My dad worked for EDS for 30 years. And that's why I smiled when I finished this book, for it couldn't be more aptly titled. This true account of a "small" Iranian hostage crisis in the year before the one we all know better illuminates the spirit of EDS and the power of one man's money and drive put to good use. If more millionaires used their resources the way Ross Perot ...more
Bethany
Dec 16, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books. The first time I read it at 13 or 14, I read it because I was reading everything Ken Follett had written. It's very different from anything else he had done, but the idea that this was a TRUE story kept me going. Also, the election in which Ross Perot ran for president had occurred recently, so the fact that he was in it made me curious.

I cut my teeth on the Tom Clancy novels, so I was already used to the in-depth discussions of the layout of buildings, breakdo
Christian D.  Orr
Oct 28, 2015 Christian D. Orr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ken Follett fans, thriller fans, history buffs
After having read and heard so much about the horrific and depressing story about Desert One/Operation Eagle Claw, the failed attempt to rescue our hostages in Iran back in 1980, it was such a pleasant contrast to read a success story about rescuing Americans from Iran. Reading this book also gave me a newfound sense of respect for Ross Perot (my disagreement with some of his political stances during his 1992 and '96 presidential runs notwithstanding).

Some random stream-of-consciousness notes I
Seth
Oct 16, 2014 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-history, war
Ross Perot was one crazy Texan. I only vaguely remember him in the 1992 presidential debates talking with a high, nasally voice about balancing the budget, but I guess if you're crazy enough to run for president as an independent, you're crazy enough to organize a hostage rescue with employees from your data processing company in the middle of a frenzied, anti-American revolution in Iran. These guys had more guts than I'll ever have, and it worked (against all odds and an enormous human and lega ...more
James Burns
This is history I lived, 1977 I was a marine aboard the U.S.S. Nimitz CVN-68. The Iranians had disposed of the Shah and had been replaced with the Iyatola and his revolutionary Governmemt. President Carters Diplomatic policies were riddled with mistakes and very ineffective. Two of Ross Perots employees following the advise of the American Embassy were arrested without being charged with a 12 million dollar bail. After all Diplomatic and other means failed EDS (Ross Perots Co.) Decided on a Brea ...more
Stefan
On The Wings Of Eagles did not seem as good as Ken Follett’s fictional works, but still is quite readable for a non-fiction narrative. Follett did an excellent job at describing H. Ross Perot (his motivations, life, and character) and how his loyalty to two of his employees imprisoned in Iran led to him using his connections to create a rescue team. The narrative was not overly dry or tedious, but various parts of the book failed to capture my interest and I ended up skim reading these sections. ...more
Katherine
Based on a true story, it was interesting, but I found this too detailed and drawn out too long. At times it felt like a cross between a news report, textbook and novel. It was worthwhile reading, just not very exciting. And the pictures in the middle of the book, (that's where they showed up in the eversion I read, maybe did in paper?) totally gave away the ending halfway through. I,m sure some readers already know how it ends from being familiar with the news story of the time, but I didn't an ...more
Oct 29, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow is the first thing that comes to mind when trying to give a rating to On Wings of Eagles. Follett out does himself on every book and this one with an actual historic base and in the 1960’s takes place in Iran and Turkey during the fall of the Shah and rise of the Ayatollah.

The book has major items excitement, espionage, travel and constant change of plans. Interesting characters and a plot unbelievable but actually happened.

My suggestion read, enjoy and get a different idea of Ross Perot oth
Albert
Mar 31, 2010 Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corporate derring do as the US government and US military are hamstrung by policy. Leave it to Ross Perot, middle-aged rescuers dedicated to saving wrongly imprisoned Americans, bags of money, tons of luck, all against the backdrop of Iran descending into mayhem and anarchy after the Shah was deposed. Oh, yeah, add that the team was headed up by legendary Special Forces operative "Bull" Simons, and you will know why this had to be made into a movie starring Burt Lancaster.
Roger
Apr 11, 2011 Roger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a true story - not fiction. It will shed a different light on Ross Perot. I worked at EDS for 13 years - and I met Paul Chiapparone, one of the EDS hostages caught in the middle of the Iranian Revolution.
Helia Jorge
Aug 18, 2015 Helia Jorge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
impressive for being a real story
Ron
Mar 19, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than Argo. I'm never going to Iran.
Oscar
Jun 13, 2012 Oscar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a terrible story told very well
J
Jan 12, 2017 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adored Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, so I thought I would really enjoy this book. However, this is something a little disjointed, as an American, to read a book about Americans, told from the American POV, but written by a Welsh author. The slang didn't always match up and that was distracting. For example, when he wrote, "speedo," I immediately thought of a tiny bathing suit, not a speedometer. He also added strange details that seemed unnecessary and I don't know if he was inst ...more
Scott Holstad
Dec 31, 2012 Scott Holstad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Now this is a five star book if I've ever read one! I couldn't put this book down. It was an amazing story told masterfully by Ken Follett. In looking over some reviews on Goodreads, I was surprised to see a couple of bad reviews with one saying it was not exciting. Are you kidding me??? This was one of the most exciting books I've ever read -- and it's a true story!

Ross Perot had a data processing company called EDS in the 1970s. (Too lazy to see if it still exists. LOL!) His company was in the
Karen Carlson
Dec 26, 2016 Karen Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio had rather monotone male readers but incredible true story
Stephanie Regester
Page turner from the start!
Harris K.
Dec 10, 2016 Harris K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if anyone can tell a true story in a mesmerising way, it's Ken Follet.
Gerald
I have just finished reading this absolutely incredible story. On a scale of 0ne to 5 stars, I rate it at least SIX STARS. I place it at the very top by far of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES LIST. It is a truly amazing tale and all the more so because it is 100% NON-FICTION. I will be working on a complete review and post it in the next few days. The following is my more complete review:

During 1978 the American multinational information technology equipment and services company EDS (Electronic Data Syst
Katrina Witteveen-roth
Interesting, in depth read.
A lot of people to keep track of, but it became easier as the story progressed. I remember aperot running for the presidency but I had no idea what kind of man he was.
I was wrapped up in the story and found myself invested in the escape.
Encruzilhadas Literárias
3.8

Quem nos segue há algum tempo, sabe que eu gosto do Ken Follet. O autor foi uma descoberta nos últimos anos, para mim, e até hoje tem sabido surpreender-me. É acima de tudo um contador de histórias nato, que sabe encaixar enredos complicados em tramas mais simples, mas nem por isso lineares.
O Voo das Águias é uma reedição agora apresentada em Portugal pela Editorial Presença, que retrata uma situação real, contada agora pelas mãos de um autor que chega a muitos leitores.

Se lerem as páginas in
Goodreads Librari...: Edition language ISBN 8701142321 3 9 4 hours, 2 min ago
on the wings of eagles 3 17 Sep 10, 2015 12:01AM
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • Inside the Company: CIA Diary
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • The Phantom Major
  • Veiled Courage: Inside the Afghan Women's Resistance
  • One More Sunday
  • No Comebacks
  • The Heights Of Zervos
  • The Army of the Potomac, 3 Vols
  • Facing Terror: The True Story of How An American Couple Paid the Ultimate Price Because of Their Love of Muslim People
  • The Jerusalem Diamond
  • After the Last Sky: Palestinian Lives
  • The Making of the President 1964
  • Topaz
  • Leaders
Ken Follett is one of the world’s most successful authors. Over 160 million copies of the 30 books he has written have been sold in over 80 countries and in 33 languages.

Born on June 5, 1949, in Cardiff, Wales, the son of a tax inspector, Ken was educated at state schools and went on to graduate from University College, London, with an Honours degree in philosophy. He was made a fellow of the coll
More about Ken Follett...

“them their welfare system meant” 0 likes