Start by marking “You Are Mine” as Want to Read:
You Are Mine

You Are Mine

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  2,961 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Bigger allowances. Better clothes. More toys.

Bigger, better, more is how the world determines who's special and who's not. It's a message your kids are hearing every day. But it's not God's message.

His truth is simple and never-changing: It's not what you have, it's Whose you are. And it's a truth that the lovable Wemmick, Punchinello, hears again at the knee of his creato
Published July 18th 2001 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about You Are Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Mine

Chloey Jones
The town full of Wemicks, people crated by the woodsman, was a happy town until two Wemicks tried to outdo each other with how much they owned. To them the most luxurious items were boxes and balls and were constantly buying more and more; for the best Wimick's had the most boxes and balls. Not wanting to be a "not-so good Wimick", a small Wimick named Punchinello sold every thing he owned to be the best Wimick around with the biggest and best boxes and balls. Then one morning the best Wimicks ...more
Emily
Max Lucado is such a wonderful author! I really enjoy all of his books, but especially those written for children. In this book, Punchinello and the Wemmicks are again seen chasing after things that they don't need and actually make their lives more complicated. When one of Punchinello's friends buys a box and then a ball, everyone in the town thinks they too need boxes and balls. They keep buying more and more to keep up with each other. Soon Punchinello is out of a house. He finally finds hims ...more
Ellen Allerton

An excellent book for 3rd grade and up. It illustrates the consequences of selfishness and materialism through a very good story ending with the main character understanding that he lost happienss and his ture self by hording material things and that his maker forgave him and loved him for who he is not, what he has. God is never mentioned by name but but the maker can be seen as God or a higher power or not so it has wide appeal.
Crysta Xue
Loved this one just as much as "You are special." by the same author. However I particularly love that this one focuses on materialism and comparison to others based on that. I think that is a big hindrance to many in the world today, so it is nice to have a book that helps take that negative impact down a notch. I would feel safe using this in a classroom.
Evelyn
I liked how punchanellio made a house out of his balls and boxes
when I saw the wimmicks climing the mountain with their balls and boxes I reminded me of the Spartan race the sand bag carry
I like the books when It all starts with a person and then everybody else joins in. in this it started with tuck
Lluvia Almanza
The Wemeck's want to own as many balls and boxes as they can so that they can be the best Wemeck in town. A Wemeck named Punchinello sells everything he owns so he can buy all the boxes and balls he can. He learns a valuable lesson after speaking with the Wemecks' creator.
Madison
I have always really loved this book. The connection between Eli and his little wooden people to our Creator and us is magnificent. We don't need to do things to make ourselves look good in the world, because we were created special by our loving Heavenly Father.
Charles Perkins
I really liked the message from all of Max Lucado's books. I disagree with the idea that you can use these in a general education classroom due to the OBVIOUS God reference included in each of these books. However these would be a good choice for a home library.
Victoria Salzmann
This is a well written picture book especially for children from ages 4 to eight who struggle with insecurities and the pressures of fitting in. This book teaches children that being who you are is much more fun than being the person who others want you to be. They uncover this theme by having Punchinello's friend become one of the cool kids, but as a result she has to stop being friends with Punchinello because he is not "special". She eventually decides to be her own person and hang out with t ...more
Shelley
I didn't think I'd like this at first because it reminds me of his "Green Nose" book and I didn't think there needed to be two similar books. But, it ended nicely and well said. So Overall I liked it...but not as much as his "You are special" book.
Audrey
This book was adorable. I am a Max Lucado fan, and this book did not disappoint. It had a good message about material goods and how we sometimes sacrifice important things to look good to others. It was thought-provoking to me.
Dale Offret
A light heart story turns into a narration of interest. Some personal and moral issues are discussed here. I think youngsters will self-esteem issues should read this.
Diane Wagner
Another wonderful Journey through the Wemmick village.
Teh story and the wonderful drawings in this book, caught my attention starting on the first page.
Erin
This is a very sweet book. I think it may not be the best for a classroom, but I think it's good to have in a home setting! Very good valuable lessons taught through it. Plus, the art work is great!
Great book. I love how it the carpenter represents god like in narnia how Aslan represents God. Also how the wooden people represent us.
Brenley
I love this book. I read it all the time when I was little and I still read it constantly to myself and little brothers. <3
Snorkle
Punchinello is troubled when a new fad spreads across the little town of the Wemmicks. It seems you are not a good Wemmick unless you have lots of boxes and balls, but Punchinello doesn't have a lot of money, and he needs to buy more boxes and balls so that he will be held in high esteem.

This is a sweet little story that Max Lucado tells with a wise and knowing heart. Making the lesson something that even little children could understand, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

*Taken from my
Mark Griffiths
I've used this in school assemblies again and again. Great book.
Nicholas
A well written picture book with pretty decent ideas.
Elaine
Great story for kids about how chasing after material things just isn't worth it, especially when time, money, happiness and relationships are sacrificed in pursuit of more and more things. The Wemmicks get all carried away buying lots of balls and boxes, which have become status symbols for this little village. I thought it was funny that after we read this, T said to me, "But I really like collecting bouncy balls! They're so fun!" Guess making the abstract connection about what the balls and b ...more
Addie
A beautiful children's devotional book.
Kaylin
This book has such a good lesson. It tells you that everyone is special- not just your best friend or your worst enemy. This book tells you that yeah you are valuable. Even through it is for younger children this book will really show anybody to look around you to see all the different. Just because your tall doesn't mean your better than everyone who is shorter than you. I'm sure everyone's heard of the saying," You can always make a difference."
Dannica Zulestin
Mar 30, 2015 Dannica Zulestin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pretty much any age
The story is adorable, about dolls and dollmakers, and how people label each other. And how you can't let these labels matter to you.
That said, this is a story with a moral, and it sure isn't subtle. So if you feel like reading a cute feel-good fable, head right on, but if you're looking for something that doesn't outright state the moral or is a little less blatant, look elsewhere.
Heidi
This was given to me by my roommate on my 19th birthday. I hadn't known there was a sequel. I liked the book as well as the first. But it was not until I looked further into this book that I came upon so many deeper meanings, not just the obvious symbolism. It is a testimony builder and a mood-lifter for me. I wrote a paper on this book for English 314 and really enjoyed writing it.
Kacey Kendrick Wagner
My husband gave me this book for Christmas as well. I didn't love it as much as "You Are Special," but this sequel is still a great book. The wooden people of Wemmicksville become obsessed with collection boxes and balls. Flaunting their collections of toys becomes more important than anything else. This book is a great reminder that your possessions are not who you are.
Kristy
Wemmicksville is awesome. :P ...this is a remarkable series that I highly recommend. Not even just for kids either; adults can learn from this as well. In this one, the Maker helps Punchinello to see that having more stuff is not going to make him happy and will in fact lead to unhappiness.
Anna
This story is a lot about competition and trying to be better than other people. Also it hits on coveting other peoples material things. It also tries to break the stereotype that people with little are not as good or important as people with a lot.
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
Teaches a great lesson about how material things do not provide happiness. I know a lot of people who should read this. Max Lucado has such a great ability to reach into the heart and soul. Recommended for all ages.
Christian Singer
Sometimes I need a reminder so I reread this. I love how Max Lucado packed a meaningful message into a kid's story. I highly recommend this book for readers of all ages. It's a message we can all benefit from.
Danny
Punchinello, seems so close to his "creator," it's amazing how quickly he can stray from Him in so short a time. It's even more "amazing" the grace this creator demonstrates in welcoming him back.
  • Daughter of a King
  • The Story of the Walnut Tree
  • The Tale of Three Trees
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • Fast Food
  • Tales of the Restoration (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)
  • Holy Bible: King James Version
  • Franklin's Secret Club
  • The Dance
  • The Three Snow Bears
  • Elbert's Bad Word
  • Stand a Little Taller
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...
You Are Special He Chose the Nails Facing Your Giants In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear