Start by marking “Undecided: How to Ditch the Endless Quest for Perfect and Find the Career�and Life�That's Right for You” as Want to Read:

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In a world of unprecedented opportunity—and pressure—women are struggling more than ever to make career decisions and move forward without second-guessing themselves. Young women graduate from college and believe they have to find the perfect path and then can’t decide which way to go. Undecided is an invaluable guide to this cultural phenomenon of “analysis paralysis.” Lo ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about Undecided, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undecided

Jessica
This book is thought-provoking and offered plenty of opportunity for identification and reassurance (hey, I'm not the only one going through this!), but it was in dire need of a heavy-handed editor!

It read like an extended blog post. Conversational and casual, but largely stream of thought. The information was good, but the chapters didn't have clearly defined themes or conclusions. There was no "how-to." And the interviews needed to be trimmed with a chainsaw.

My highlighter was flying because t
Gwen
May 28, 2013 Gwen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gwen by: browsing at the library
Shelves: feminism
I don't understand why this book is classified under "vocational guidance"--the subtitle is extremely misleading. This isn't so much a career guidance book as a disjointed, scatterbrained introduction to feminism. If the entire subject is unknown to you, you might like it, but it seemed to be a rehashing of Gloria Steinem's work, Jessica Valenti's books, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, and a bit of Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity. (And I know, these last t ...more
Ilana
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this book. I read a lot of rave reviews about it but it just seemed to be a book containing excerpts and ideas from other books and articles I had already read. On top of that there was a lot of focus on being a working mom, something I will never be doing since I am child-free by choice. Overall, not terrible but not the life changing book people are making it out to be either.
Melissa
I picked up this book because I'm a lost twenty-something that needs a little guidance. Questions like "What do you want to do with your life?" and "Where do you see yourself in five years?" have me stumped. After trolling through Amazon, I clicked on "Undecided" from the page on Christine Hassler's "Twenty-something, Twenty Everything," which I have yet to read. From the description, I was eager to read "Undecided." Having just finished, I feel slightly disappointed even though I liked it.

Ashley
Loved the first part of the book, I thought this book is for me and for every undecided person out there. Then it made my head spin for going back and forth between decisions I am contemplating. Then it when into how we are affected by the feminism movement. It wasn't over bearing if that sort of thing wold normally scare you off. The end I enjoyed the most and brought clarity. I wrote down several quotes through out the book, some from the author and some from other sources. All were very inspi ...more
Jessica
The perfect book for the post-college 20-something woman! Several chapters will also ring true for working moms, but it's mostly aimed at the younger crowd.

The Kelleys do a fantastic job of articulating the phenomenon, and the anecdotes lend a nice touch.

I did find it disappointing, however, that there was less focus on what to do--it just continued to be more like a sociological study and not a 'how to' guide. Which is totally fine (and still extremely interesting!)--but don't be misled by the
Jessica
The one thing that I really loved about the book was that it made me feel UNDERSTOOD. Truly understood. I spent so much of my time while reading it nodding my head and thinking, "I swear they could be talking specifically about me."

But I found the book to be quite repetitious...there were a few parts where I could swear half a paragraph had been lifted from another section of the book.

And ultimately it did not live up to its subtitle: "How to Ditch the Endless Quest for Perfect.." It gives a lo
Lauren
I recommend this book to EVERY woman in her twenties! It is a well researched and covers a broad range of topics women encounter in their careers. I promise if you read it, you may find yourself exclaiming: "Yes, this is me!" and "This is so true!" possibly every other sentence. (I also recommend keeping a highlighter close by.) And even if you have the perfect job and know exactly what you want to do with your life, Undecided, although doesn't have all the answers, definitely provides a context ...more
Dionisia
I would have finished with this book days ago but got tripped up by the drab ending. Ended up skimming to get it over with. I rather enjoyed it otherwise. Lots of fodder for discussion. This would make a fun buddy read.

Also, ignore the subtitle. Rather puzzling how they came up with that one as it doesn't accurately reflect the content of this book.
AYLA
I related to a lot in this book and found it very interesting. However, as a piece of writing it was very disorganized and almost too 'unpolished' at parts (and not in an accessible way more in a 'I cant take you seriously when you talk like that' way) - with better editing it could have been a lot better. The 'rambling' made you lose interest.
Kellee English
Some interesting content. Ie) insights and stories that helped me identify issues I was/am facing as I move toward "settling down"- like coming to terms with shifting priorities, perspectives, and expectations. BUT lacked organization and structure, and seemed to repeat several points over and over again.
Josephine
May 03, 2011 Josephine marked it as to-read
This book is by a local Santa Barbara mother/daughter. I know the daughter (Shannon) through the SB Independent (she is the writer for their Style section). They would love your support (read their book and give a positive review if you like it). Thanks! :)
Amy

Disorganized. needed better editing. I lost interest in last third of book.
Kristen Gradwohl
I haven't read this yet! I don't know why it says that!!!
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Princess Macas
Princess Macas marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Ann Bridson
Ann Bridson marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Fatima Azzahra
Fatima Azzahra marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Misty
Misty added it
Jul 26, 2014
Carley
Carley added it
Jul 24, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Yanatrunova
Yanatrunova is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Vacations & Weekends Learning Guide: Ideas and Activities to Help Children Learn Throughout the Year Moose Mug at High Noon How the Cat Got His Hat: The Story of Dr. Seuss (Scott Foresman Leveled Reader, 149A) Prentice Hall Real Nursing Skills: Physical and Health Assessment Ellasense Misses the Train