Start by marking “Autumn Across America (American Seasons, 3rd Season)” as Want to Read:
Autumn Across America (American Seasons, 3rd Season)

Autumn Across America (American Seasons #3)

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The account of a roving 20,000-mile pilgrimage across 26 states coast to coast--from Cape Cod to California--through the year's most colorful season. Illustrated.
Published 1966 by Dodd, Mead & Company (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Autumn Across America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn Across America

Vera Marie
I found Autumn Across America in a used book store 3 years ago, and plopped it on my shelf with dozens of other “read when I get around to it” books. Finally, this autumn, I got to it.

On their leisurely, 20,000-mile journey that took Edwin Teale and his wife to twenty-six states, they observed nature changing gears from summer to winter. The colored and falling leaves of the northeast and the migrating birds, butterflies and even beetles, the mysteries of hibernation, the geology, the human hist
Pat
In my natural hstory readings, I've encountered Teales name many times but had not acutally read him. What a treat!
His marvelous elegaic stye is paired with accurate, insightful scientific information about topics that really interest me: geology, birds, hibernation, migration, etc. I learned a lot. The human stories (especially that of the deaf-mute who searches for his dog lost in the woods) are as interesting as the natural history.
The edition I read was published in 1956, the year after my b
Cayenne
Beautiful! The last two pages of "Mountain Snow" especially struck me as Teale discusses the increasing demands on our time and space. "Time and space--time to be alone, space to move about--these may well become the great scarcities of tomorrow." Seeing beyond his time. Time to ponder and to be still amidst the beauty of nature is something difficult to find now and something to be cherished as great riches.
Ellen
Nov 19, 2009 Ellen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Before autumn ends, I've jumped into my first Edwin Way Teale book. I'm taken by his writing on the natural and made-made worlds, and, with some 53 years gone by since he wrote it, the ways in which so much has changed. More when I'm another 100 pages in.
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Clarke
Clarke marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Jessica Wu
Jessica Wu marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Justscot
Justscot marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Narmadha
Narmadha marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Todd Zimmer
Todd Zimmer marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Travis McGuire
Travis McGuire is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2015
Kenneth Duffy
Kenneth Duffy marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Rainer Breitling
Rainer Breitling marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Laura Gallant
Laura Gallant marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Edwin Way Teale was an American naturalist, photographer, and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer. Teale's works serve as primary source material documenting environmental conditions across North America from 1930 - 1980. He is perhaps best known for his series The American Seasons, four books documenting over 75,000 miles (121,000 km) of automobile travel across North America following the changing sea ...more
More about Edwin Way Teale...

American Seasons (3 books)
  • North with the Spring: A Naturalist's Record of a 17,000-Mile Journey with the North American Spring
  • Journey Into Summer: A Naturalist's Record of a 19,000-Mile Journey Through the North American Summer
North with the Spring: A Naturalist's Record of a 17,000-Mile Journey with the North American Spring A Naturalist Buys an Old Farm Wandering Through Winter: A Naturalist's Record of a 20,000-Mile Journey Through the North American Winter Journey Into Summer: A Naturalist's Record of a 19,000-Mile Journey Through the North American Summer A Walk Through the Year