Start by marking “Autumn Across America (American Seasons, 3rd Season)” as Want to Read:
Autumn Across America (American Seasons, 3rd Season)

Autumn Across America (American Seasons #3)

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The account of a roving 20,000-mile pilgrimage across 26 states coast to coast--from Cape Cod to California--through the year's most colorful season. Illustrated.
Published 1966 by Dodd, Mead & Company (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Autumn Across America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn Across America

Debby Detering
Feb 02, 2016 Debby Detering rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-nature
This is the second book by Edwin Way Teale that Skus and I have read aloud, every word of it. We don't read aloud every evening, sometimes missing weeks at a time (We didn't take this with us when we traveled). Teale's descriptions are worth savoring word by word. He and his wife Nellie began their journey at the Monomoy at the elbow of Cape Cod on the first day of fall and wandered westward. The book ends on December 20 on the westward tip of Point Reyes Peninsula, 30 miles north of the Golden ...more
Vera Marie
Nov 23, 2013 Vera Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I found Autumn Across America in a used book store 3 years ago, and plopped it on my shelf with dozens of other “read when I get around to it” books. Finally, this autumn, I got to it.

On their leisurely, 20,000-mile journey that took Edwin Teale and his wife to twenty-six states, they observed nature changing gears from summer to winter. The colored and falling leaves of the northeast and the migrating birds, butterflies and even beetles, the mysteries of hibernation, the geology, the human hist
Pat
Nov 16, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my natural hstory readings, I've encountered Teales name many times but had not acutally read him. What a treat!
His marvelous elegaic stye is paired with accurate, insightful scientific information about topics that really interest me: geology, birds, hibernation, migration, etc. I learned a lot. The human stories (especially that of the deaf-mute who searches for his dog lost in the woods) are as interesting as the natural history.
The edition I read was published in 1956, the year after my b
Cayenne
Mar 14, 2014 Cayenne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful! The last two pages of "Mountain Snow" especially struck me as Teale discusses the increasing demands on our time and space. "Time and space--time to be alone, space to move about--these may well become the great scarcities of tomorrow." Seeing beyond his time. Time to ponder and to be still amidst the beauty of nature is something difficult to find now and something to be cherished as great riches.
Professor
Dec 15, 2015 Professor marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: 4cs
Only made it about 40 pages in and it was fascinating as a snapshot of both naturalist thinking in its era and the state of America's wildlife at the time. Unfortunately I started reading it FAR too late in the season and I don't want to keep reading it in the Winter, so I'm giving it up, for the time being.
Ellen
Nov 19, 2009 Ellen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Before autumn ends, I've jumped into my first Edwin Way Teale book. I'm taken by his writing on the natural and made-made worlds, and, with some 53 years gone by since he wrote it, the ways in which so much has changed. More when I'm another 100 pages in.
Katie Davis
Katie Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Lmichelleb
Lmichelleb marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
A Mcnamara
A Mcnamara marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Tom Mc
Tom Mc rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Tom Mc
Tom Mc rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Lorna
Lorna marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
David Backes
David Backes rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Simon Remmi
Simon Remmi marked it as to-read
Sunshine
Sunshine marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Rose Ann
Rose Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Morna McFadyen
Morna McFadyen marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Tara C.
Tara C. marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Jim Krotzman
Jim Krotzman marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Bookiemonster
Bookiemonster marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Kyri Freeman
Kyri Freeman rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Justin Heath
Justin Heath marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Edwin Way Teale was an American naturalist, photographer, and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer. Teale's works serve as primary source material documenting environmental conditions across North America from 1930 - 1980. He is perhaps best known for his series The American Seasons, four books documenting over 75,000 miles (121,000 km) of automobile travel across North America following the changing sea ...more
More about Edwin Way Teale...

American Seasons (3 books)
  • North with the Spring: A Naturalist's Record of a 17,000-Mile Journey with the North American Spring
  • Journey Into Summer: A Naturalist's Record of a 19,000-Mile Journey Through the North American Summer