Start by marking “Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan” as Want to Read:
Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan

Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan

Richard Hittleman's Yoga 28 Day Exercise Plan, published in 1969 by Workman Publishing Company, Incorporated. This is the Paperback version of the title "Richard Hittleman's Yoga 28 Day Exercise Plan" and has approximately 224 pages.
Paperback
Published January 6th 1972 by Workman Publishing Company (first published September 6th 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Hittleman's Yoga, please sign up.

Margaret
Apr 25, 2016 Margaret rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
First attempt at yoga, so here I go! Exercises are sectioned into 4 day increments, so I'll review every 4 days.

Days 1-4: On Day 1 I didn't think I would continue, but wanted to give it a fair chance, and day 2 changed my mind. I felt very stretched and awake after exercising. Day 3 introduced 'leg over,' which I am terrible at. But hopefully through practice, I'll become more limber! Overall, the exercises stretch me just enough to feel more limber without feeling sore all day. I feel good, an
Sherry
Jun 05, 2015 Sherry rated it it was amazing
This is the book I learned Yoga from in the 90's. It was "out of date" then as far as clothing and semantics, but I still like it better than the "flow" type yoga so prevalent today. This book focuses on postures, although there is also a part of the daily practice where a flow from one posture to the next is done. I also got a lot out of practicing on my own because I could do it at my own pace and spend as much time with each movement as necessary without feeling like I was getting behind.
Jerry
Jun 11, 2014 Jerry rated it really liked it
Loved the Plough!
Pallavi Sonal
Nov 21, 2015 Pallavi Sonal rated it it was amazing
Finally I completed it and mind you, its not the one to just read over, you have to practice alongside. I am really proud of myself for completing the 28 days practice diligently and I owe this book the full credit. The sequence , the number of poses to be done in a day, the counts and the laps- all have been designed with good amount of thought.I could see the difference in my body's response and I am very positive about following the routines at the end of the book for my daily practice.
An int
Vittoria
Jun 08, 2014 Vittoria rated it it was amazing
I have practiced yoga for many years but found myself lacking the concentration and inclination needed for attending a class.
This book is a gem!
The excercises are paced well and well thought out - your body slowly but surely strenghtens and becomes more flexible with a ridiculously small amount of daily effort.
I'd recommend the book to anyone interested in yoga, even as a prep course before attending your first yoga class or going back to one after some downtime or a lenghty absence.

Certain exe
Tatjana
Apr 22, 2011 Tatjana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: exercise purists
Well, I tried.
I really tried.

I did.

This book is a touch more like what we call Pilates than pure Yoga. It deconstructed Yoga into a series of exercises to make it more palatable to the extremely WASPy mainstream that weren't trendy enough to be hippies at the time. All of that chanting and carrying on with the breath of fire. So distasteful! As a result, it really sort of pulled the soul out of yoga.

However, as a pure exercise program, it's quite good. As I mentioned, it's more of a fusion of Pi
Carol
Dec 31, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
Just re-read and followed through the 28 day program in this VERY old book (1970's). Despite the fact that it is filled with sadly dated advise to the "housewife" and despite the fact that the author seemed a bit too keen on describing "female beauty," I'm still giving this one 5 stars because I love the yoga program in it. It is much less focused on downward dogs than so many more recent books, and has a very balanced program. It also suggests a continuous movement flow ending to each routine t ...more
Eric Lawton
Feb 11, 2016 Eric Lawton rated it it was amazing
Don't really know when I started. Still using. Wore out one copy completely so bought another.
A easy, progressive plan that takes a month to get to a set of exercises that you then rotate for the rest of your life. OK, I've slid back several times and had to start over, but I do find they work for relaxing and focusing. Although there is some occasional drivel such as two pages each on "Yoga and the Housewife" and "The beautiful woman", it is mostly a realistic and usable practical guide if it i
Lauralee
Feb 09, 2014 Lauralee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, health
This is the only book I still own from my middle-school years. My dear mother read aloud each day's lesson and 'thoughts' for 28 days as I listened and followed along with the breathing and postures. I recently reread it and it's amazingly still great. He talks about self-esteem, inner beauty, life-force, hormones and glands, meditation, the whole gammit!

It brings back fond, sweet memories of time spent with my mother during those rough middle-school years.

Highly recommend--just look past the "
Sandra
Jun 22, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Good book for starting yoga. I like that it give you a day by day plan of what to do, and it has lots of pictures. It also teaches you how to meditate, how to made changes what will help you heal your body and become the best you. Everyday has a thought for the day. There is a plan for the rest of your life to follow. The more you do the exercises the easier they become and the strong you become.
Erin
Jul 27, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
This is a great beginning yoga book. My absolute favorite. I was able to do a head stand after only 28 days of practice which is amazing considering my head stand phobia, lol. I liked the way each day was structured including a little blurb about yoga/meditation, detailed instruction, and a fluid dance-like yoga routine at the end. The only down side is that you are supposed to do 28 consecutive days.
Laurel
Feb 13, 2016 Laurel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, owned
A pretty decent step-by-step yoga instruction manual from the 60s. My only complaint has always been that you can't have it open as you go, because it is the size of a regular paperback book.
I've always had the urge to slice the spine open and have the whole damn thing either scanned or spiral-bound or both.

That being said, this book was my introduction to yoga when I was a teenager, and I have found it useful now and then.
Lynn
Jan 13, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found a first edition (1969) paperback outside on the sidewalk while walking home one day early last spring. I love yoga but do not practice regularly. I think I would like to. I think I start this new year. And I think this adorable timeless little book from my favorite year in history will help me get into a routine.

Thank New York streets.
Lavonne
Jul 13, 2015 Lavonne rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed getting back into stretching & basic Yoga positioning with the help of this book. While the script that accompanies the daily routines is quite dated, it is possible to glean thoughtful information from what is presented. I plan to continue with my practice daily - will avoid head stands, however! Looking forward to returning to my Yoga teacher for a group session.
Saeideh m
Aug 12, 2007 Saeideh m rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport
i never seen such an exact book, it has a plan for every part of your body and when you finish the 28 period you feel different and every body understand that you are not similar to your past , you will be more energetic every exercise is simple except standing on your head that was a bit difficult for me
good luck !
Dawnie
Jan 05, 2011 Dawnie rated it really liked it
Even though this book was written in the early 60's, I found it a very good reference and a good goal to work with. I like that all the poses are explained so thoroughly and gives a detailed explanation.
Eli
Jun 14, 2013 Eli rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome for anyone who is looking to start yoga for the first time or to get back into practice. It gently builds each day through moderate daily programs to teach you, ultimately, 38 positions. My favorite yoga book yet!
Rachel
Jan 06, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, health-nutrition
This is a great book for anyone unfamiliar with yoga but it's also nice just for learning new postures to practice. The photos are pretty easy to follow but it requires a little reading before practicing in order to implement the poses safely without having to keep looking at the book.
Bob Marsh
Oct 08, 2012 Bob Marsh rated it it was amazing
Simply the best introduction to yoga you can get. I have returned to it time and time again for a refresher course. It covers all the basics in easy to undrstand common sense language. A bible for yoga lovers.
Tiffany
Feb 24, 2010 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
This is my all time favorite yoga book ever! It is amazing how in 28 days you can do full yoga postures...and not even notice the strain as you get there. I love it! This yoga made me feel so flexible and healthy!
Irina Ruseva
Mar 09, 2010 Irina Ruseva rated it really liked it
Lot's of pictures, very straight forward and easy to follow exercise plans!
Jane
May 14, 2014 Jane rated it liked it
This is a great plan for beginners. You add a more poses each day while continuing to practice ones learned earlier.
Katrina
Aug 16, 2011 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was the first introduction I had to yoga. Great book! I find myself going back to it over and over again!!
Nicole
Feb 07, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
This helped me kick-start a new era of exercise for me.
Cherie
Oct 14, 2012 Cherie rated it really liked it
My first yoga book that I bought at a school fundraiser for a quarter. It's great for beginners, and definitely a book I go back to.
Cyd
Mar 01, 2009 Cyd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is my favorite yoga book.
Mladen
Oct 01, 2012 Mladen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introductory yoga book! It takes commitment to follow through, but it's well worth it.
Claire
Sep 09, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
Life changer. Essential part of my life.
BG Josh
Nov 19, 2013 BG Josh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fitness
This book is my gold standard for entering the practice of yoga.

It tells you what to do and how to do it exactly.

Want to start yoga? The is the book to use.
Flo R
Jan 10, 2016 Flo R rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the best yoga books out there. Beginners hould likely be able to stand on their heads by the end of it.
  • Office Yoga: Simple Stretches for Busy People
  • The Perfect Matrimony: Why Sex and Religion Are Inseparable
  • Pistis Sophia: A Gnostic Gospel
  • Sivananda Companion to Yoga
  • Getting Stronger: Weight Training for Men and Women
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary with Access Code
  • Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • The Hermetic Tradition: Symbols and Teachings of the Royal Art
  • A Woman's Book of Life
  • Healing with Form, Energy, and Light: The Five Elements in Tibetan Shamanism, Tantra, and Dzogchen
  • Hatha Yoga Illustrated: For Greater Strength, Flexibility, and Focus