Start by marking “The President's Vampire: Strange-but-True Tales of the United States of America” as Want to Read:
The President's Vampire: Strange-but-True Tales of the United States of America

The President's Vampire: Strange-but-True Tales of the United States of America

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  20 reviews
THE PRESIDENT'S VAMPIRE is proof positive that an inordinate number of very strange things happen from sea to shining sea in the place known as the United States of America. It contains scrupulously documented accounts of ghosts, monsters, murderers, and hoaxes so improbable they will fascinate believers, skeptics, and anyone interested in the more obscure corners of Ameri ...more
Published (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The President's Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The President's Vampire

Lea
Like others who have reviewed this book, I was intrigued by the title story, only to be disappointed -- featuring it as a "strange but true" mystery is misleading, as the "vampire" in the tale was simply a murderer. Anything unusual or supernatural in this story was apparently trumped up by reporters at the time. While it is interesting and odd that this man would receive a commuted sentence from President Andrew Johnson, there is nothing to suggest anything paranormal.

As a whole, this book is d
Michael
Dec 17, 2007 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of C2C AM
Shelves: 2007_read
I am not quite sure what to make of this book. At times it seems like a light-hearted collection of oddities yet at others times seemed as if it attempted to be a research paper. In addition, it seemed to point at proof of the weird in the world and at other times a book on debunking. It was all of these things, yet none at all. There were a few interesting parts like the phantom of Baltimore and Pedro, but the story of "The President's Vampire" was weak at best, and the Bye-bye Man story seemed ...more
S. Wilson
In the past, I have often found that many books and anthologies on unexplained phenomena and bizarre events are either sensationalized accounts with vague descriptions and no concrete details, or dry and inspirational regurgitation of other source materials with more footnotes than original material. So it was with great pleasure that I discovered Robert Damon Schneck's book The President's Vampire.

Schneck's approach is far from exploitational. His attention to detail and devotion to searching o
Harris
A moderately interesting handful of odd and mysterious stories collected from three hundred so years of American history. Ranging from purely mysterious (the chapter on "The Lost Boys," five teenagers who disappeared without a trace from Newark, NJ in 1978) to the purely paranormal, (the creepy story of "The Bridge to Body Island," in which a group of friends in Wisconsin experiment with divination only to attract the awareness of the sinister "Bye-Bye Man"). Robert Schneck, the editor, approach ...more
David
This book was mentioned in an interview with the author of Blood Oath. "According to an obscure newspaper clipping, President Andrew Johnson — the man who followed Lincoln into the White House — pardoned a sailor accused of killing two crew mates and drinking their blood in 1867."
Deborah
The book reads like a history book debunking various folktales until the last chapter when it talks about Ouija boards and a strange experience the author had. I actually believe in spirits and won't have anything to do with them so I skimmed through the chapter and it freaked me out enough I can't read it.

I liked the rest of the book because it helped me understand the history of Spiritualism. One of my grandmothers and one of my great grandmothers believed in and practiced Spiritualism so it w
Mindy Houston
This was actually a difficult read. I appreciate what the author was trying to do, but each section was it's own beast, without a joining theme other than 'strange-but-true'. Or implausible. However, good idea fodder for other authors, so I thank him for that!
Scottsdale Public Library
A terrific sequel to "Blood oath". Zach Barrows and Nathaniel Cade are back to save the day once again. (Batman & Robin! Of course Cade is Batman.) Their current assignment is to track down the evil genius & creator of the "Snakeheads", repulsive, slimy creatures and extremely difficult to kill. If you like lots of violence, blood and guts, you will love this! I love how this author is able to make something so impossible seem so real. I devoured this book and can't wait for the next one ...more
Ian Callahan
This is the best 'strange-but-true' book I've read. I used to read, and re-read, them as a kid. 'Vampire' is a more substantial, thoughtful take on the genre, even if the analytical parts of the book come off as a little silly at times. I am a skeptic, and there's nothing here that even comes close to changing my mind, but there are some genuinely creepy tales that bring out interesting (and factual) historical details.
Ken
Why isn't this kind of book ever any good?

Anyway: Collection of folk tales, mostly debunked by the author. Also, a long and stupid account of his friends' Halloween party story about screwing around with a Ouija board.

What I learned: These books are always lame, unless they were written by Charles Fort.
Elyse
Maybe it's non-fiction maybe it's fiction - who knows. Most of the stories seem plausible and the author has a healthy skepticism about his subjects - except for the last entry. But it WAS spooky - Ouija boards give me the creeps.
Brad T.
this book was so boring, i dreaded reading it. I really only started it because of the President's Vampire chapter. The rest were claims of supernatural occurrences that just seemed like trumped up local legends.
Casey Danielson
I read the Bye-bye Man story alone in a big old brownstone in the middle of the day and had to invite someone over because I was so freaked out. The rest of the book was less potent.
Rick
A fun quick read. This is clear proof that some of the "truth" of American history is stranger than fiction. The story about Body Island is downright creepy.
April (The Steadfast Reader)
While you could tell this book was meticulously researched, the writing and stories themselves failed to 'pop' for me.
Joyce Tisaj
This was more of a science experiment gone bad than a vampire story. I did enjoy it. It's a good read.
Stacey
As far as vampire books go, this one is not my favorite, but is still worth a read.
Jenn Baggett
i actually never finished it. just couldn't. maybe one day.
Rita
Interesting take on a vampire theme. Looking forward to the next one.
Melissa Paul
Fun summer read for vampire lovers...
Piccione Library
Piccione Library marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Tina Cousins
Tina Cousins marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Mona Temchin
Mona Temchin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Maryjo
Maryjo marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
  • Reich of the Black Sun: Nazi Secret Weapons and the Cold War Allied Legend
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks
  • Food for the Dead: On the Trail of New England's Vampires
  • Low Magick: It's All in Your Head ... You Just Have No Idea How Big Your Head Is
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • A Field Guide to Otherkin
  • Operation Trojan Horse
  • The Haunted Self: Structural Dissociation and the Treatment of Chronic Traumatization
  • How to Tell if Your Boyfriend Is the Antichrist
  • Vacation
  • Spear of Destiny
  • Genesis of the Grail Kings
  • The Battle of the Sexes in Science Fiction
  • You are STILL Being Lied To: The NEW Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes, and Cultural Myths
  • The Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • The Urantia Book
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
Mrs. Wakeman vs. the Antichrist: And Other Strange-but-True Tales from American History Detective Notebook: Are You Psychic?