Start by marking “The President's Vampire: Strange-but-True Tales of the United States of America” as Want to Read:
The President's Vampire: Strange-but-True Tales of the United States of America

The President's Vampire: Strange-but-True Tales of the United States of America

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
THE PRESIDENT'S VAMPIRE is proof positive that an inordinate number of very strange things happen from sea to shining sea in the place known as the United States of America. It contains scrupulously documented accounts of ghosts, monsters, murderers, and hoaxes so improbable they will fascinate believers, skeptics, and anyone interested in the more obscure corners of Ameri ...more
Published (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The President's Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The President's Vampire

Lea
Like others who have reviewed this book, I was intrigued by the title story, only to be disappointed -- featuring it as a "strange but true" mystery is misleading, as the "vampire" in the tale was simply a murderer. Anything unusual or supernatural in this story was apparently trumped up by reporters at the time. While it is interesting and odd that this man would receive a commuted sentence from President Andrew Johnson, there is nothing to suggest anything paranormal.

As a whole, this book is d
Michael
Dec 17, 2007 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of C2C AM
Shelves: 2007_read
I am not quite sure what to make of this book. At times it seems like a light-hearted collection of oddities yet at others times seemed as if it attempted to be a research paper. In addition, it seemed to point at proof of the weird in the world and at other times a book on debunking. It was all of these things, yet none at all. There were a few interesting parts like the phantom of Baltimore and Pedro, but the story of "The President's Vampire" was weak at best, and the Bye-bye Man story seemed ...more
S. Wilson
Jul 26, 2009 S. Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the past, I have often found that many books and anthologies on unexplained phenomena and bizarre events are either sensationalized accounts with vague descriptions and no concrete details, or dry and inspirational regurgitation of other source materials with more footnotes than original material. So it was with great pleasure that I discovered Robert Damon Schneck's book The President's Vampire.

Schneck's approach is far from exploitational. His attention to detail and devotion to searching o
Harris
Nov 02, 2013 Harris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
A moderately interesting handful of odd and mysterious stories collected from three hundred so years of American history. Ranging from purely mysterious (the chapter on "The Lost Boys," five teenagers who disappeared without a trace from Newark, NJ in 1978) to the purely paranormal, (the creepy story of "The Bridge to Body Island," in which a group of friends in Wisconsin experiment with divination only to attract the awareness of the sinister "Bye-Bye Man"). Robert Schneck, the editor, approach ...more
David
This book was mentioned in an interview with the author of Blood Oath. "According to an obscure newspaper clipping, President Andrew Johnson — the man who followed Lincoln into the White House — pardoned a sailor accused of killing two crew mates and drinking their blood in 1867."
Deborah
May 05, 2014 Deborah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book reads like a history book debunking various folktales until the last chapter when it talks about Ouija boards and a strange experience the author had. I actually believe in spirits and won't have anything to do with them so I skimmed through the chapter and it freaked me out enough I can't read it.

I liked the rest of the book because it helped me understand the history of Spiritualism. One of my grandmothers and one of my great grandmothers believed in and practiced Spiritualism so it w
Mindy Houston
This was actually a difficult read. I appreciate what the author was trying to do, but each section was it's own beast, without a joining theme other than 'strange-but-true'. Or implausible. However, good idea fodder for other authors, so I thank him for that!
Ian Callahan
This is the best 'strange-but-true' book I've read. I used to read, and re-read, them as a kid. 'Vampire' is a more substantial, thoughtful take on the genre, even if the analytical parts of the book come off as a little silly at times. I am a skeptic, and there's nothing here that even comes close to changing my mind, but there are some genuinely creepy tales that bring out interesting (and factual) historical details.
Ken
May 16, 2008 Ken rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why isn't this kind of book ever any good?

Anyway: Collection of folk tales, mostly debunked by the author. Also, a long and stupid account of his friends' Halloween party story about screwing around with a Ouija board.

What I learned: These books are always lame, unless they were written by Charles Fort.
Elyse
Sep 29, 2015 Elyse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, eerie
Maybe it's non-fiction maybe it's fiction - who knows. Most of the stories seem plausible and the author has a healthy skepticism about his subjects - except for the last entry. But it WAS spooky - Ouija boards give me the creeps.
Brad T.
Jul 08, 2011 Brad T. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
this book was so boring, i dreaded reading it. I really only started it because of the President's Vampire chapter. The rest were claims of supernatural occurrences that just seemed like trumped up local legends.
Casey Danielson
I read the Bye-bye Man story alone in a big old brownstone in the middle of the day and had to invite someone over because I was so freaked out. The rest of the book was less potent.
Rick
Dec 16, 2012 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun quick read. This is clear proof that some of the "truth" of American history is stranger than fiction. The story about Body Island is downright creepy.
April (The Steadfast Reader)
While you could tell this book was meticulously researched, the writing and stories themselves failed to 'pop' for me.
Joyce Tisaj
Jul 08, 2013 Joyce Tisaj rated it liked it
This was more of a science experiment gone bad than a vampire story. I did enjoy it. It's a good read.
Stacey
Sep 11, 2011 Stacey rated it liked it
As far as vampire books go, this one is not my favorite, but is still worth a read.
Jenn Baggett
May 12, 2012 Jenn Baggett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i actually never finished it. just couldn't. maybe one day.
Rita
Jun 10, 2012 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on a vampire theme. Looking forward to the next one.
Melissa Paul
Aug 18, 2011 Melissa Paul rated it really liked it
Fun summer read for vampire lovers...
JAMES CALLAHAN
JAMES CALLAHAN marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Leo  Sheehan
Leo Sheehan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Keaton Thompson
Keaton Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Glenn Griffin
Glenn Griffin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Casey Connor
Casey Connor marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Jeremy Moore
Jeremy Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Randi
Randi marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Kasey
Kasey rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Joshua Therien
Joshua Therien marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • Food for the Dead: On the Trail of New England's Vampires
  • The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks
  • Reich of the Black Sun: Nazi Secret Weapons and the Cold War Allied Legend
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • The Threat: The Secret Agenda What the Aliens Really Want and How They Plan to Get It
  • Evil: A Primer: A History of a Bad Idea from Beelzebub to Bin Laden
  • Operation Trojan Horse
  • You are STILL Being Lied To: The NEW Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes, and Cultural Myths
  • The Most Dangerous Book in the World: 9/11 as Mass Ritual
  • The Haunted Self: Structural Dissociation and the Treatment of Chronic Traumatization
  • How to Tell if Your Boyfriend Is the Antichrist
  • The Battle of the Sexes in Science Fiction
  • A Field Guide to Otherkin
  • Vacation
  • The Spear of Destiny
  • A Lycanthropy Reader: Werewolves in Western Culture
  • The Ghost Hunter's Survival Guide: Protection Techniques for Encounters with the Paranormal