Start by marking “Annie and the Wild Animals” as Want to Read:
Annie and the Wild Animals

Annie and the Wild Animals

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  747 ratings  ·  58 reviews
When Annie's cat disappears, she attempts friendship with a variety of unsuitable woodland animals. The borders of the pages foretell the emergence of spring and the birth of kittens.
Published March 26th 1989 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published February 25th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Annie and the Wild Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Annie and the Wild Animals

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
Best children's books EVER
241st out of 1,004 books — 1,259 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorOlivia by Ian Falconer
Best little girl books
93rd out of 347 books — 240 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Well... This time I actually thought Brett did a good job with illustrating cute little Annie. And, of course, the animals are great. I just thought the story was really boring and just really unbelievable. The mother cat leaves her warm home to go outside (in the snow! In a hollow tree!) to have her kittens? Bears and wolves and moose and bobcats all congregate together to eat corn cakes, with no thought of eating one another, even though the winter is harsh and food scarce? I know, I am being...more
Lara's
Oct 11, 2008 Lara's rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents & children 1st -4th grade
Shelves: board-books
Synopsis : When Annie's cat disappears, she attempts to find her by putting out corncakes which attract a variety of different animals. Friendships with a variety of woodland animals results.
Review : Board book format does this story and it's wonderful illustrations a bit of a disservice. When Annie's cat is no where to be found, Annie sets out to find a new friend. Thus begins the introduction of a parade of forest creatures (moose, bear, wildcat,etc)which children are sure to enjoy. Annie has...more
Candice
Nov 27, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Jan Brett's books are exquisite! You could look at each page for hours taking in the colorful and detailed main illustration as well as the clever border illustrations. This story itself is rather simple. On a cold winter's day Annie's cat, Taffy, runs away and Annie is lonely. She places a corn cake at the edge of the woods to see if a small, furry animal will come and she can tame it for a pet. But despite several attempts, all that her corn cakes attract are wild animals. The border pictures...more
Nicholas Linsk
This book is about a little girl named Annie who is extremely lonely. Her cat Taffy also disappeared. The illustrations throughout the book are full detail and color. She uses bright colors in all of her illustrations. The wonders of the forest and the seasons are clearly evident in the background throughout the story. The borders on each page show what is going to happen next in the story. The pattern she used on the boarders are consistent throughout the book. Brett does a great job how she in...more
Fibersian
THis was the first Jan Brett book I read. This is a rich story about a little girl whose cat runs away. She leaves food outside to attract a new pet. A series of wild animals come instead of a good pet. Of course all ends well - read it to find out.

This a wonderful book that embodies the best of Jan Brett. The story is told simply. The main illustrations are beautiful. Much of the story is told in the borders. This is a great book for dialectic reading. Talk and ask questions about all of the in...more
Brianna
I love books that have a similar illustrations like this one. The borders just by themselves tell a story as well. I also think that it was very creative of the illustrator to hint in the borders what the next wild animal would be. This story is also very relatable for both children and adults. Most of us in this world have wanted some small, or large, wild animal as a pet. It is only as we grow as a person that we realize that wild animals are still going to be wild deep down inside.
Jen
I liked this book okay, but it's not really to my taste. The illustrations were definitely very artistic, though. They were also drawn very realistically. I can appreciate the book for the piece of art it is, but my rating reflects my own feelings/opinions, hence my relatively low three-star rating.

The story itself was engaging, but again not really to my taste. I don't understand why Annie was living on her own, and putting corn cakes out to try and attract a new animal to make a pet seemed qui...more
Josi
Mar 12, 2014 Josi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: march
The illustrations were beautiful and I loved the intricate bordering around each page. The writing was fun as well with Annie trying to find a new pet and bringing all the wild animals home, it made me think of stories my dad used to tell me about him bringing pockets full of Garter Snakes home and losing them all in the laundry room. I just wonder what Annie's mother thought of having those animals in her yard, haha I know my grandma wasn't very impressed!
Allison
This is a story about Annie and her cat. In the first couple pages Annie's cat runs away and she becomes really lonely. In an attempt to find a new companion she leaves corn muffins on the edges of the forest in hopes of finding an animal she can keep. Instead, she is met with large wild animals unfit for living in her cabin. These animals become dependent on her muffins and approach her home looking for more but Annie runs out of corn muffins. When she starts to think she will be along forever...more
Meg McGregor
One of my favorite Jan Brett books. It is about a little girl named
Annie whose cat, Taffy, disappears for a few days in the winter.

When she does come back, Taffy brings with her several surprises.

Sure to delight any little one, this book is one an adult can spend hours perusing as well. The illustrations are nothing less than exceptional!
Klarissa
Dec 03, 2013 Klarissa added it
Shelves: t-l-307
Annie’s cat Taffy is acting weird and ends up leaving one night to go into the woods. Once Annie figures out that Taffy is gone she tries to find a new friend. Annie leaves corn cakes at the edge of the woods to hopefully attract a new friend. The only animals that come to eat the corn cakes are those that seem to be grumpy, big, or mean. Finding a new friend seems pointless but then towards the end of the winter Taffy comes back with three small kittens. Taffy was acting odd in the beginning to...more
Devane
This is a really fun book that I think helps children with predicting out comes. I got to read this with a group of third graders and they really loved it and the illustrations were fun for them guessing what was going to happen next.
Ms Threlkeld
The story wasn't particularly interesting and the ending was predictable. The best thing about the book is the illustrations.
Melanie
Cute story by Jan Brett. She is one of the best storytellers in children's literature today. However, I often find myself shaking my head at her illustrations. For example, in this story, a cat disappears one day only to return in the springtime with a litter of kittens. In true Jan Brett fashion, readers will find that half of the story is illustrated in the borders of the pictures. Well, apparently that mother cat decided that climbing a tree and having her kittens in an old squirrel den was n...more
Linda Lipko
This delightful story book is incredibly illustrated. This is the tale of young Annie who lost her beloved cat Taffy. In the hope of finding a new pet, she places a corn cake at the edge of the woods.

The animals drawn to the corn cake are all wild and large. As the corn is empty, spring arrives. As the wild animals leave to find food that nature provides each spring, joyfully Taffy returns with three kittens.

While this is a simple story, the lovely illustrations carry the tale quite well.
Becky B
Annie's pet cat, Tabby, is acting strangely and then disappears. Annie tries to lure in a new friend with corn bread she leaves out each day, but the animals that come are not quite right for a replacement for Tabby. Annie despairs of every finding a new friend, but then Tabby reappears with a surprise.

Brett's illustrations are as enchanting as ever. The little clues she gives in the border as to the next guest to appear offer a fun way to help kids predict what will happen next in the story.
Sally Bruesewitz
I loved reading this book to my children. The graphics are wonderful and very detailed. Watch for the boarder block prints on each page because they enrich and continue the story. The story is about a little girl who loses her cat in the winter. She is sad for lack of friends and decides to leave corn cakes at the edge of the woods to find a new friend. However, the most inappropriate "friends" show up. A surprise ending to the book as well, a must read. AR gives it a 2.7 reading.
Robert
I know everyone loves Jan Brett, but I just don't get this book. The cat runs away so the little girl immediately feels a need to get another pet. She tries to lure wild animals with corn cakes. They become dependent upon her feeding them until spring when there is food aplenty. Just then her cat comes back with her new litter. Why would the cat had gone outside in the dead of winter to deliver her litter?

I don't get it.
Marissa Reyes
The text Annie and the Wild Animals written and illustrated by Jan Brett had a childlike storyline, however, the illustrations were too mature for a children's book. I personally did not enjoy reading this book because the material was lacking fun and exciting events to keep my attention throughout the entire story.
Annie notices that her cat, Taffy, is not her usual companionable self. Annie tries to set herself up with some new playmates by luring them into her yard with corn cakes. But none of them, not the moose, deer, bear, or any others, are what she had in mind. Who will be Annie's new friend? Scandinavian setting.
Nisah Haron
As I have noticed, Jan Brett always have two 'layers' of stories in the books that I have read. I noticed another 'story' in her book, The Owl And The Pussycat. I love the details in her artwork.
Kirei
A girl's cat goes missing. So the girl decides to try and get another pet by putting out corn cakes and attracting wild animals.

I thought the major flaw in this book was that she didn't seem very bothered at first when her cat got lost. Her attitude was: "I'll get another pet."
Christy
When Annie's beloved cat disappears into the forest one cold winter day, Annie becomes lonely and sets out to find another animal friend. Brett's exquisite and clever illustrations and use of borders captivate young readers and listeners.

Great Story Arc!
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: K

Elementary: E BRE

Annie is saddened when she can't find her cat Taffy. She decides she needs to find a new pet. She ends up having many a wild animal to choose from, but none of them are very cuddly. What will she do?
Kymberly
One of my favorite childhood books. I love Jan Brett's books. The way the sides of the illustrations tell the story just as much as the main picture. The surprise ending is pretty neat too. It really shows a little girl's love for her cat.
Samantha Penrose
This book is all about the illustrations! Each page has a border with extra illustrations that give you a more omniscient view of the story. My five year old loves that as I'm reading he already has the inside scoop on whats going on.
Jen
One of my favorites! Jan Brett has the most amazing illustrations that tell more of the story than just the words. I had been trying to find this book for years, as it was one of my all time favorites as a child.
Susan
I like Jan Brett but maybe I like HER a little better than the books she produces. She does so much research before she writes & paints or draws the artwork. I like reading her books to my granddaughters.
Erica
Hudson
I really liked the illustrations in this book, especially the ones around the borders of each page. Those pictures tell you what is going on in a different area. It helps you understand the story even better.
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 8 1 1 Nov 14, 2012 08:53AM
  • Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • Trains
  • Winter Days in the Big Woods
  • Brave Irene (Sunburst Books)
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Roxaboxen
  • Angelina and Alice (Angelina Ballerina)
  • No Jumping on the Bed
  • Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals That Lay Eggs
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme...more
More about Jan Brett...
The Mitten The Hat The Wild Christmas Reindeer Gingerbread Baby Town Mouse, Country Mouse