Start by marking “Bonjour, Mr. Satie” as Want to Read:
Bonjour, Mr. Satie

Bonjour, Mr. Satie

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Published 1991 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Bonjour, Mr. Satie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bonjour, Mr. Satie

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansBrainwashed by Paul AertkerFrench Illusions by Linda Kovic-SkowThe Story of Babar by Jean de BrunhoffAsterix the Gaul by René Goscinny
France..and Paris!
132nd out of 202 books — 93 voters
The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau by Michelle MarkelManfish by Jennifer  BerneOn a Beam of Light by Jennifer  BerneMe...Jane by Patrick McDonnellNoah Webster and His Words by Jeri Chase Ferris
Children's Picture Non Fiction/Biographies
109th out of 118 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Nada
Sep 17, 2013 Nada rated it liked it
This story is about two artists who are trying to figure which one is better than the other. Mr Satie was chosen to settle this dilemma by being the judge and analyzing both of their works of art.

What catches my eye with this book is how the text in the story is boxed up with simple red boarder. This boarder is the same as the one on the front cover of the book. I am assuming that the boarder around the text in the story has something to do with the author/illustrator wanting us to look at the
Josiah
Jan 13, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok
This is a really interesting book concept. Tomie dePaola weaves a simple story and its basic (but important) moral around his friend, artist Mr. Satie, who along the way during the narrative comes in contact with other famous artists and public figures from all over the world.

The artwork in Bonjour, Mr. Satie is, in my view, some of the best that Tomie dePaola has ever included in any of his children's books. The scope of the paintings is deep, wide, and outstandingly colorful, bringing a sens
Arnette Mckinney
Oct 03, 2012 Arnette Mckinney rated it it was amazing
This is my 1st author/illustrator

This story tells of two brilliant artist that squared off with each other at an art gathering. Mr Satie had to setttle the dispute that would keep paris alive and well in the arts.

Fictional. Pre-K-3rd. unisex

Peace was restored.

What if Mr.Satie did not like the paintings?
What could have happen if he selected one over the other?

The passage on pg.18 " I have concluded that to compare Henri's paintings of Nice with Pablo's paintings of newspapers,guitars, and faces f
Kristen
May 13, 2015 Kristen rated it it was ok
Third grade +.

"Through the diplomatic efforts of Uncle Satie, two talented Parisian artists end their feud."

References to many famed artists. A few French words and phrases that might be hard for young readers. A good lesson in getting along and for it to be okay to end in a tie.
Hannah Starnes
This book is good for cultural diversity and when talking about famous people that painted, composed, and wrote literature. They were portrayed through the animals in the book, so personification can be discussed with this book as well.
Amanda
Jan 07, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok
The best part for me was all the cameos of famous people. Wonder if this really happened at Gertrude Stein's salon? All in all, it was ok.
May 29, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This was a rather interesting tale. I thought it was pretty entertaining and I liked the illustrations because of their bright colors and shapes. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Kim
Oct 31, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
charming story about the art scene in Paris during the twenties; typical Tomie dePaola illustrations

themes: art, cats, mouse, Paris
Joyce
Aug 18, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Turn-of-the-century Paris, with all the "usual suspects". A perfect fit for me!
Jessica
Jun 18, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Cute book introducing several famous artists. Great to use with small children.
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Naomi
Naomi rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Joanne
Joanne rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Madison
Madison rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
Bronwyn
Bronwyn rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Dondra
Dondra rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2015
Laura Verret
Laura Verret rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2015
Jonathan Peirano
Jonathan Peirano marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
A
A rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...