Bonjour, Mr. Satie

Bonjour, Mr. Satie

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published 1991 by Putnam Juvenile

Nada
This story is about two artists who are trying to figure which one is better than the other. Mr Satie was chosen to settle this dilemma by being the judge and analyzing both of their works of art.

What catches my eye with this book is how the text in the story is boxed up with simple red boarder. This boarder is the same as the one on the front cover of the book. I am assuming that the boarder around the text in the story has something to do with the author/illustrator wanting us to look at the...more
Josiah
This is a really interesting book concept. Tomie dePaola weaves a simple story and its basic (but important) moral around his friend, artist Mr. Satie, who along the way during the narrative comes in contact with other famous artists and public figures from all over the world.

The artwork in Bonjour, Mr. Satie is, in my view, some of the best that Tomie dePaola has ever included in any of his children's books. The scope of the paintings is deep, wide, and outstandingly colorful, bringing a sens...more
Arnette Mckinney
This is my 1st author/illustrator

This story tells of two brilliant artist that squared off with each other at an art gathering. Mr Satie had to setttle the dispute that would keep paris alive and well in the arts.

Fictional. Pre-K-3rd. unisex

Peace was restored.

What if Mr.Satie did not like the paintings?
What could have happen if he selected one over the other?

The passage on pg.18 " I have concluded that to compare Henri's paintings of Nice with Pablo's paintings of newspapers,guitars, and faces f...more
Annelise
Not a feline version of composer Erik Satie, as hoped.
Rather, it's a small guessing game of which stylized Depaola-version of a famous person who once hung out in Paris is which. Gertrude Stein, Picasso, Matisse, Monet, Josephine Baker and Hemingway were the ones most obvious to me. I would have had much more difficulty were I my childhood self reading this -- and if you do not get the references, it's really a rather boring tale.
The first (not last) names of the famous are listed on the back...more
Amanda
The best part for me was all the cameos of famous people. Wonder if this really happened at Gertrude Stein's salon? All in all, it was ok.
Snorkle
This was a rather interesting tale. I thought it was pretty entertaining and I liked the illustrations because of their bright colors and shapes. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Deborah Harris
Dec 28, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-3, a28
AR Quiz No. 80072 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Kim
charming story about the art scene in Paris during the twenties; typical Tomie dePaola illustrations

themes: art, cats, mouse, Paris
Joyce
Turn-of-the-century Paris, with all the "usual suspects". A perfect fit for me!
Jessica
Jun 18, 2012 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
Cute book introducing several famous artists. Great to use with small children.
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
Sara Adkins
Sara Adkins marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Oliver
Oliver added it
Jan 26, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure....more
More about Tomie dePaola...
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs