Start by marking “Les dragons de Sa Majesté (Téméraire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Les dragons de Sa Majesté (Téméraire, #1)

Les dragons de Sa Majesté (Temeraire #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  53,021 Ratings  ·  4,347 Reviews
Alors que les guerres napoléoniennes font rage, le jeune capitaine Will Laurence fait une découverte qui va changer le cours de sa vie. Son vaisseau vient en effet de capturer une frégate française et sa cargaison : un oeuf de dragon très rare.
Les dragons sont utilisés dans les combats aériens par la plupart des nations. Mais celui que va découvrir Will n'est pas tout à fa
Published April 19th 2007 by Le Pré aux Clercs (first published March 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Les dragons de Sa Majesté, please sign up.

Donna The books aren't related in any way, so you can read either one first, depending upon what you're in the mood to read. I read Uprooted first and loved…moreThe books aren't related in any way, so you can read either one first, depending upon what you're in the mood to read. I read Uprooted first and loved it, and now I'm starting in on this series which has a completely different feel, but seems well written, too. (less)
Dustin Not in any measurable amount. A sliver's worth now and then. I certainly wouldn't consider it a romance novel.

More of a bromance, I guess.

Dafna
Jul 07, 2007 Dafna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
God, I admit, I'm one of those douchey fucks that look down on fantasy readers while I sit firmly ensconced in my igloo composed of "Star Wars: Rogue Squadron" and "Star Trek: The Lost Years" books. Of course, it'd be a book about dragons fighting for the British army against the encroaching Napoleonic forces to get to me to realize: DRAGONS ARE FUCKING COOL.

Especially dragons with awesome Han Solo type female riders and plucky young girls manning the gunnery and uptight, strong silent type men
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Buddy read with my wonderful friend, Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* =)

****I reckon' I'm going to be spoilery!****

Once again I'm going to say, "Why did it take me so long to read this?" I love finding these little gems that I have had around FOREVER!

I fell right in love with Temeraire! And I love Laurence and his love for Temeraire, he really knew how to take care of his dragon! I want one too dang it. ❤

Laurence was a captain on a Naval ship when they found a French ship with an egg on it. Well, of
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This isn't my first Novik read. In fact, the whole reason I finally got on with reading His Majesty's Dragon is b/c I read and absolutely adored Uprooted . But Uprooted isn't being released until May, so this is the first Novik review I've posted.

Same and not the same, people. Same and not the same.

Meet Will Laurence:

description

Laurence is a Captain in the British Navy. He is a perfect gentlemen. He is ostentatiously dull.

And while there is significant character growth throughout
Irene
Jul 10, 2007 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting much when I picked up His Majesty's Dragon. To tell the truth, if I'd seen it in a bookstore, I wouldn't have picked it up. But it was recommended to me by a reliable source as a better alternative to Eragon, and it was a historical fantasy set during the Napoleonic Wars. I figured I'd give it a try. I didn't regret it.

I don't love this book because Naomi Novik's writing style is equal to that of Tolkien. I don't love this book because it's perfect in every way - indeed, some
Samantha
Feb 15, 2017 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2017
4.5 stars! This book is so utterly delightful in every way. I can't even count how many times it made me smile or laugh, or how it tugged at my heartstrings. The bond between Laurence and Temeraire is incomparable. I cannot wait to continue on with this series!
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
►► BR with the BBB gang starting October 9, 2015.

This book made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Yes it did. Oh, I know exactly what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Sarah doesn't do warm and fuzzy, Sarah only does cold-hearted cynicism." Ha. Fooled you right there. I'll have you know I do have a heart (sometimes) and actually enjoy feeling all warm and fuzzy (occasionally). Besides, it's not like this is me cooing and getting the fuzzies over a bunch of cute babies. We're talking about drag
Alex Farrand

His Majesty's Dragon is about a sea captain, who after capturing a French frigate, and seizing a valuable, unhatched dragon egg from the French is brought to an unexpected journey that changes his life forever. His Majesty's Dragon is a fantasy, historical fiction novel about the Napoleonic Wars.

I thought this novel was cute, unique, and creative. It was different, and that is one thing I admired about the work. Naomi Novik used historical events, and mixed a tamer form of our fantasy
Robert
Oct 25, 2007 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bored SF fans
This is a tough one to review in some ways. First, I've read lots of "dragon books", and this is far, far from the best. For one thing, I'm a physicist and while I'm willing to suspend disbelief up to a certain point, the image of dragons capable of carrying anywhere from tens to hundreds of humans at a time (plus weapons and armor!) for distances that again range from tens to hundreds of miles in a day just does not compute. Let me count the ways it violates natural law, not just by a little bi ...more
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
As there are many great reviews for this already that really pinpoint the good and the bad of this book, I shall allow myself a lazy review.

Six inch punch by Bruce Lee:

Six word review by me:

Here be dragons. Read it now.

Jim
Dec 22, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very engaging book, I read it in a few hours on a very cold Sunday afternoon & evening. I didn't want to put it down. Historically, it is set about the early 19th century during Napoleon's reign. Told from the POV of a British sea captain, but the twist is that dragons are a part of the war effort between the two. Our captain/hero gets caught up in that part of the war.

Characterization is very good as is the portrayal of British society & military. There isn't a lot of military detail
julio
Apr 24, 2013 julio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to julio by: Kate
pleasantly formal, yet still disposed to the occasionally thrilling episode of draconian escandalo. stately, but lush; a fun romp into every child's fantasy:

having a fearsome flying lizard for a best friend.

ate this badboy up like it was a bonbon.
Mj
Nov 15, 2007 Mj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
I'm amazed at how many people enjoyed this book. The premise is fascinating and extremely creative. And for that it avoids a single star. Otherwise, the characters are bland, there is minuscule character development to speak of, and THERE ARE NO REAL CONFLICTS. Every conflict is conveniently tied up with no trade offs. This isn't fantasy, it's day dream.
By far, the most amusing portion of the book is the conversations between Laurence (the protagonist) and Temeraire (the dragon)-amusing to the
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy read with a few peeps at Buddies Books and Baubles starting Oct 9.

3.5 I want a baby Dragon stars

I read Uprooted this year and it was one of my favorite books of the year so far so I thought I’d give another Naomi Novak book a try. His Majesty’s Dragon is an alternate history where Dragons are present and used in the warfare of the Napoleonic Wars like battleships would be. It is a really interesting concept and the writing is almost as good as Uprooted.

Laurence has been a navy man and shi
Jack +Master Passion Read+
Well, after this re-read, I don't know what I was smoking when I only gave His Majesty’s Dragon 3 stars. This is easily one of the best "alternate history" adventure books I've read.

It's amazing how well Naomi Novik has integrated dragons into the arsenals of the various nations during the Napoleonic wars. As there have been plenty of works already written about that time period, including the well-known Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian, it's nice to have a fresh take on these familiar b
Megan Baxter
Jul 25, 2013 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little surprised by how much I liked this. The idea of the Napoleonic Wars with dragons seemed like something that could be either very good or very bad, and I've read enough overwrought fantasy the last little while (as well as some very good fantasy) that I was a little wary.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Quick impromptu reread with Melissa! 4 stars and original review stands. God I love Temeraire so much <3

----------

Buddy read with the BBB gang!
(Bumped up to a full 4 stars rather than the original 3.5 because I remember it so fondly)

Temeraire instantly brings Toothless to mind

Seriously, if Toothless could talk, he would be Temeraire. It's lovely. The idea of inserting dragons into a historical context is brilliant and for a first novel this is excellent. I found it a bit long-winded at times
Gar
Jun 19, 2009 Gar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kaitlin
I read this book within a day and it was a day where I have been feeling really ill and unwell and this book helped cheer me up. I must say, I was a little hesitant to dive into another Naomi Novik book after really not loving Uprooted, but I was very happily surprised by this book and I will certainly carry the series on.

This story follows a young man called Lawrence who is a Navy Captain. He's earned his rank for service to the crown and he's proud of where he's got without much family help.
Vinaya
Jan 12, 2011 Vinaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Paolini Hate Club
I read His Majesty's Dragon when it first came out in 2006. The Eragon craze was in full swing, and everybody but me was raving about the book, it seemed. I have had a fascination with dragons ever since I watched Dragonheart (which made me cry like a baby!). Paolini's immature rendition of a draconian 'plaything' made me crave some decent writing. A friend recommended the Temeraire series, and it was the biggest favour he's ever done me, then or since.

Sometimes when I re-read books that I read
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
It took me a long time to get around to reading this, which is a shame, because it’s delightful. If you like historical fantasy at all, you’re almost certain to enjoy this book.

Will Laurence is a captain in His Majesty’s Navy at the time of the Napoleonic Wars, and it looks a lot like the Navy you’d see in a Patrick O’Brien book--all protocol and taking enemy ships for profit--until his ship captures a precious dragon egg and Laurence is sent off the Aerial Corps to be captain of the dragon inst
Stephen
4.5 to 5.0 stars. Outstanding beginning to what looks like a great series. Excellent back story/ world-building making the presence of Dragons in the time of Napoleon seem very realistic. As great as that was, what carried the story was the superbly written relationship between Temeraire and Capt. Lawrence. Highly recommended.

Nominee: Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (2007)
Winner: Locus Award for Best First Novel (2007)
Joe
Sep 10, 2013 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Laurence read the final sentence aloud and placed the book down. He was tired after a long day of flight training and eager to sleep, but he sensed Temeraire's energy and knew his companion had something to say. 'How did you like the book?' Laurence asked.

'I enjoyed it.' Temeraire said 'I liked the dragons and the people. They all felt real and comfortable... when we got to know them.'

'But perhaps we didn't always get to know them?' Laurence asked as he closed his eyes and leaned into Tereraire'
Carmen
Nov 18, 2013 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
An excellent book! Imagine if during Napoleon's time nations had an Air Force – made up of dragons! Laurence is just an unsuspecting naval captain when his ship captures a French ship carrying a dragon's egg. Laurence is very surprised when the hatchling picks him. As a man bonded to a dragon, he is forced to give up his job and become an aviator. He gets to know his dragon, Temeraire, who is very intelligent. He gets to know some other aviators, some are even women. Some are good, some are bad. ...more
Maria V. Snyder
Dec 07, 2008 Maria V. Snyder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when you thought Dragons had done it all - along comes Naomi's book. Dragons fighting in the Napoleonic Wars - I was reluctant to read it at first, thinking it would be heavy on the military aspect. But when it was nominated for a Compton Crook, I picked it up and was surprised. The war is a part of the setting and plot, but the characters are the stars of the show. Both Lawrence and his dragon.

PS: Naomi won the Compton Crook.
JAIME
I really enjoyed this. I only took a star off because I felt like there wasn't enough story to it. Interestingly, that is sort of how I felt about Uprooted. It could certainly be that I am blinded by how brilliantly Naomi writes her characters, that I miss the actual plot. I don't know. I need to think about it.

M.
Simon Vance to the rescue once again as he saves another book for me that I would have set aside for another time or probably indefinitely. Not the book's fault though since it's perfectly fine and well written for a historical fiction. It was more a case of bad timing when I picked it up, too much going on and not enough time or energy to spare and all that, but I made it through, with a lot of help from the audiobook which was superbly read by Mr. Vance, and I really enjoyed it.

The story reima
Mpauli
In this alternate reality series, the napoleonic era is enrichened by dragons. So, battles started way earlier being not only fought at land and sea, but also in the air.

As british navy Cpatain Laurence seizes a french frigate, a dragon egg is found within and it's about to hatch. As dragons bind to the first person that is able to harness them, Laurence unexpectately becomes the handler of Temeraire, the dragon inside the egg.

For Laurence this means that his life as a navy captain is changed up
Kim
Naomi Novik's Temeraire books are set in an alternate reality in which dragons are found around the world, are intelligent and have allowed themselves to be linked to a rider.

Set during the Napoleonic Wars the drgaons are, at this point, recruited by both sides as an Air Force changing the way the war actually went by adding in an extra element. The main characters are Temeraire, a Chinese dragon whose egg was captured from the French, and his handler, Capt. Laurence.

From the start I found the
Allison
His Majesty’s Dragon is a historical fantasy set during the Napoleonic wars in the early 1800s. There isn’t really any magic in this alternate history, and there is really only one difference, which is - obviously - the existence of dragons. I love the way that Novik interweaves dragons with what really happened, giving them a place in history as it played out. It’s such a subtle change, really. Humans use dragons in war. They have entire units of them to supplement naval battles. They are not a ...more
Simona Stoica
Oct 22, 2014 Simona Stoica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dragoni. Dacă majoritatea prietenelor mele visau la unicorni şi prinţi, eu îmi doream să cresc un pui de dragon în curte, să vizitez cu el întreaga Europă şi să învăţ să controlez focul, chiar dacă riscam să fiu considerată o piromană.

Pe fundalul bătăliilor napoleoniene, căpitanul Will Laurence din Marina Regală britanică devine „stăpânul” unui pui de dragon, pe care îl numeşte Temeraire. Oul era destinat împăratului Napoleon, însă Temeraire îl recunoaşte pe Will drept căpitan, iar tânărul este
  • The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #2)
  • Tooth and Claw
  • Shadow Magic (Havemercy #2)
  • Territory
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Dragon Champion (Age of Fire #1)
  • Without a Summer (Glamourist Histories, #3)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • The Goblin Emperor
  • Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1)
  • Cold Magic (Spiritwalker, #1)
  • The Dragon Keeper (Rain Wild Chronicles, #1)
  • The Court of the Air (Jackelian, #1)
  • The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
  • Blood Engines (Marla Mason, #1)
  • Bitter Seeds (The Milkweed Triptych, #1)
An avid reader of fantasy literature since age six, when she first made her way through The Lord of the Rings, Naomi Novik is also a history buff with a particular interest in the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O’Brian and Jane Austen. She studied English literature at Brown University, and did graduate work in computer science at Columbia University before leaving to partic ...more
More about Naomi Novik...

Temeraire (9 books)
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3)
  • Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
  • Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)
  • Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)
  • Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7)
  • Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8)
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)

“I should rather have you than a heap of gold, even if it were very comfortable to sleep on.” 134 likes
“Temeraire said, 'It is very nice how many books there are, indeed. And on so many subjects!” 72 likes