Start by marking “Homeward Hearts” as Want to Read:
Homeward Hearts

Homeward Hearts

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Chloe Maitland lives in a dying Oregon mining town and has given up her girlish dreams of love and marriage. What she needs is a man to answer her advertisement for a blacksmith to work in her shop and help save her home from foreclosure. Instead she gets Travis McGuire, an exhausted stranger who collapses in her yard, looking like the devil himself, and proves to be far m ...more
Published February 15th 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published May 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Homeward Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeward Hearts

Jess the Romanceaholic
I admit, the cover made me LOL

I mean, really. What. the heck?

Ok ok about the actual book -- I really enjoyed it. The resolution was a bit too easy for my tastes, but it had all the elements I love in Alexis Harrington novels (only, for once, there was no child involved, which was pretty refreshing to be honest..)

The heroine's prickly attitude got on my nerves a bit, but, considering her circumstances in life, I can kind of understand it.

I really liked the hero, though his baggage from his previo
Pamela(AllHoney)
Set in Oregon in 1894, this book tells the story about Chloe Maitland, a spinster woman, who is trying to make enough money to pay the mortgage for the year. She advertises for a blacksmith but can offer no wages, just room and board. Along comes a stranger, Travis McGuire, who has heatstroke and collapses at Chloe's feet. The writer does a great job in telling us how hard life was there without making the story too dark. The two have a love/hate relationship for a while. But it flowed nicely. N ...more
D.S. Williams
I've been on a spell of reading Alexis Harrington's novels and Homeward Hearts didn't disappoint. Alexis has again created interesting characters, put them into dire circumstances and gently and beautifully allowed them to complete the story arc in a way which keeps me turning pages. Highly recommended.
Luli
Esta historia no me ha gustado.
Se supone que esto es un romance…a mí no me lo ha parecido. Hasta el 50% del libro, los sentimiento de los personajes están situados por debajo de su cintura, y se repite cansinamente lo de “no me gustan los sentimientos que él/ella despierta en mí”, pero ya está, no se sabe qué sentimientos son esos, salvo porque ambos personajes sueñan por las noche con el torso desnudo del otro…a ver, romántico lo que se dice romántico no es…
Otro problema es que los personajes s
Wendy
Another good one by Alexis Harrington. This one's set in 1894, in the tiny borderline-ghost-town of Misfortune, Oregon. Chloe Maitland is a hardworking single woman trying to make enough money to make the annual mortgage payment on the farm she inherited when her father died a year before. She takes in other people's laundry, but what she really needs is a man to work in the blacksmith forge that's been empty since her father died. Travis McGuire, Drifter, turns up in her yard one day, asks for ...more
babyfishmouth
3.5 Stars.

Has angst, tension and very likeable H/h. Plot is fairly predictable and certainly doesn't break any new ground in the western historical genre but it was still a solid, enjoyable read. I am a sucker for romances where H or h has to nurse the other back to health and also where daily survival is tough.

The plot gets a liitle muddled toward the end and I may or may not have skipped numerous pages to get to the Happily Ever After.
Kristiej
4.5 out of 5 stars

I’ve noticed that more and more older books are being rereleased as ebooks and I am loving this. I’m rediscovering authors I’ve lost track of. My latest ebook glom is Alexis Harrington. This works out well as I’m also in a Western Frame of Mind at the moment.

The first one up is Homeward Hearts. Ms. Harrington tends to write poignant tales about people battered by life and this one is a good example. Chloe Maitland is a bossy young woman who has to fend for herself in a dying to
Cherise
Didn't like it as much as I had expected. I love the stranger helping h make a living plot and this one is refreshing in that the H is no aye ma'am servant but is snarky and sarcastic as can be. The h is also no helpless fragile flower but snarls right back at H. It is quite nice to read their fights and slowly learn to trust and be close to each other.

The plot is pretty predictable, though not knowing this is a series, I thought we have more villains loitering about till much later. Though when
M.P. McDonald
Really enjoyed this

This is the kind of romance book I love. Wounded, angry hero who is afraid to love, and a lonely woman longing for love. Very nicely done.
JLC
Read a few years back.
C
2.5 stars, a bit boring.
Jacky Faber
This was a good one. The characters of Chloe and Travis were very well drawn, two very stubborn and strong willed people who met their match in each other. The plot was also very good.

I just finished reading "Desperate Hearts" which wasn't as good. It picks up Jace Rankin's story.
Jade Lauron
NOTE TO SELF: Check the rating you gave it before you decide to re-read it when looking for smutty romance. Also, why do we overlook so many actions in romance novels that would be creepy, domineering or red flags in real life?
Joan
Formulaic and predictable? Yes, but still a good, light afternoon's read.
Marianne
Some good moments. Kind of lost momentum for me.
Terra Frias
Terra Frias marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Tinchi
Tinchi marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Marie Antoine
Marie Antoine marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Lisa Jessop
Lisa Jessop marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Blair Waldorf
Blair Waldorf marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Under the Desert Moon
  • Parting Gifts
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
  • Cherish
  • To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • Hannah's Vow
  • His Secondhand Wife
  • The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1)
  • Heaven Sent
  • Hawke's Pride
  • Winter Woman
I've been a self-employed working novelist for the past twenty years. Of all the books I've written I've had just one foreign sale, and that was THE IRISH BRIDE, which was translated into Norwegian, where I understand it was a big hit.

I also make jewelry and I'm a fine needlework artist, specializing in embroidery, thread crochet, and sewing. I love to cook, read, entertain friends, decorate, and
More about Alexis Harrington...
A Taste Of Heaven Home by Morning (Powell Springs, #1) Harper's Bride The Bridal Veil Home by Nightfall (Powell Springs, #2)