Start by marking “Possum Trot” as Want to Read:
Possum Trot

Possum Trot

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The pieces in this collection form a lament for a way of life mostly gone. The family farm is dead. Did you know? says one character within. E.B. White writes Charlotte s Web today, it takes place in a hog confinement. Imagine Wilbur living in a concentration camp for pigs. Still, these pieces are neither nostalgic nor sentimental. Boys bear burdens heavier than is just th ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Ice Cube Books

To ask other readers questions about Possum Trot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Possum Trot

Greg Seeley
I met Harley at the Pioneer Bookstore in Grinnell, Iowa. It turns out that we had both studied under author/poet Robley Conant Wilson when he was a professor at the University of Northern Iowa. I bought a copy of "Possum Trot" and gave him a complimentary copy of my book "The Horse Lawyer and Other Poems" that he is now carrying on the shelves in his store. We visited for a while and autographed each other's books.

I particularly enjoy the variety of tones that he presents in the book from hilari
Just "Memo from the Director of the Centr for Prairie Studies" is genius enough for several months of laughter. I hope there is no Rosenfield sequel!
Brian
I met the author at a book fair and he seems like the kind of down to earth, intelligent person who would produce this collection of stories that always succeed at capturing the nuance and feel of the Iowa countryside (or academia of the prairie) and its colorful inhabitants. 'Memo from the Director of the Centr for Prairie Studies' knocks-it-out-of-the-park in terms of wit and genuine laugh out loud funniness and shows the author's range of storytelling ability. Several of the stories paint a g ...more
Sue
Congrats to Harley for an entertaining read! Harley was the manager of the delightful used book store on the Hill in Cedar Falls, for several years. I still am grateful for the time he called me to say he had a First Edition of a Vonnegut hardcover (which I scurried up to buy.)

The used bookstore is gone here (still miss it horribly), but Harley is now at the awesome bookstore on the Grinnell campus. Thanks for sharing your lyrical prose with all of us!
Joseph Peterson
Outstanding collection of short stories many of which are quite humorous and all of which take place in Iowa. I recommend it.
Jim Bell
A great book of short tales in the farming country of Iowa. The tales go from funny to sad in a time when life was simple and the midwest was still the bible belt.
Dieter
Somebody I know. Good Iowa stories. Some twists in narrative structure. Good farm details. Proud of him to write it.
Karna Bosman
Karna Bosman marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2012
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2011
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2011
Raindrop
Raindrop marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2011
Wendy Wicks
Wendy Wicks marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2011
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2010