Start by marking “Il minotauro” as Want to Read:
Il minotauro

Il minotauro

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Questa spy-story d’autore, pubblicata nel 1980 in Israele, fu salutata l’anno dopo da Graham Greene come il miglior romanzo tradotto dell’anno. È una storia affascinante e originale in cui un agente segreto israeliano s’innamora di una ragazza dalla bellezza
mediterranea e misteriosa, e usa tutte le tecniche e i trucchi del suo mestiere per seguire, controllare, determinare...more
Paperback, Tascabili, 185 pages
Published October 1997 by edizioni e/o (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Il minotauro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il minotauro

ΑνναΦ
Mi rendo conto che, alle volte, sarebbe meglio mi astenessi dallo scrivere alcun commento al libro che ho letto, perché qualunque pensiero potrei metter giù sarebbe solo uno sconnesso ba ba balbettìo. Se mi azzardo stavolta è per poter ricordare, un giorno, trovandomi tra le mani questo libricino, riposto in un anfratto della mia biblioteca, quello che mi ha comunicato.

E' scritto in un linguaggio poetico, semplice e bello, riecheggiante atmosfere e luoghi mediorentali, classici, non ultimo nel t...more
Hanaan
This is a book about singular, and sometimes obsessive people. I thought it was a well designed, quickly absorbing and unusual. Plunges you, very easily, into someone else's slightly scary but somehow familiar world.
Rosenkavalier
Thanks God it’s not that simple in my secret life

Il Minotauro è Alexander Abramov, un agente segreto del Mossad. Solitario e introverso fin da bambino, scopre una vocazione nel mestiere di spia, vivere molte vite è il modo migliore per non affrontare la propria. Tutte queste esistenze, incluse quelle delle persone che lo hanno cresciuto, incontrato, amato hanno depositato su quest’uomo un carico intollerabile di ossessioni e alienazione.
Come lui, quasi tutti i personaggi di questo breve romanzo...more
Valissa
***The description listed is for a different book. An Israeli secret agent falls hopelessly in love with a young English girl. Utilizing his network of shady contacts and his professional expertise, he takes control of her life without ever revealing his identity. Minotaur, named Book of the Year in England in 1981, is a complex and utterly original story about a solitary man driven from one side of Europe to the other by his obsession.***

"I think we are not only a secret place but also a danger...more
Lillian
Jun 29, 2011 Lillian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lillian by: my Shelfari friend, Brett
At 18, beautiful copper haired Thea begins receiving adoring letters from a mysterious stranger. Magnetically drawn to him they settle into an on and off again romantic correspondence well into her twenties even while other men flow through her life. The lives of Thea and three other characters intertwine in this story of obsession, intrigue and displaced love. Set in London, and Tel Aviv, Minotaur is an inventive story of suspense told with creative literary style. Part psychological thriller a...more
Brian Kovesci
The main plot is interesting which comes to play more now than it would have when this novel was first published; how two people can get to know each other intimately without ever having met face to face. With the popularity of Facebook, Twitter, Kik, WhatsApp, Grindr and all other social networking sites and apps it is now easier than ever in history to connect with complete strangers from the comfort of your own space. The main character in this story builds a relationship with a young woman b...more
Ruben
I had read this one about 20 years ago, I let the book to someone, and as expected it never came back, recently I bought it again, and started to read it, fearing if I should not like it this time, well I liked it a lot again, complex but strong characters, some history, a very playful management of time, and a couple of love stories on difficult times. For some reason every book regarding the Levantine cultures end up capturing me, I recommend it very much!
Leka
Colorare

Ho deciso di colorare una stella per ogni personaggio che racconta questa vicenda. E l'ultima per la Storia che le contiene tutte.
Troppo complicato (per me) giudicarlo altrimenti.
Yuki
Disturbing, beautiful, suspenseful, fascinating, haunting. Translated from Hebrew.

An eye-scorching summer sun poured out its light onto the harbor wall of the city of his childhood and melted the air that hopped, skipped, and jumped to the sound of thousands of peddlers, thousands of record players in the cafes, thousands of voices rising by semitones and trilling guttural songs. The aroma of cardamom in the tiny cups of coffee, the smoke of hookahs bubbling up through jars of water wafted up an...more
Sandra
The promo blurbs on the book cover describe this book as a classic, somewhat along the lines of Camus' The Stranger. It does evoke a type of existential angst revolving around alienation, love, obsession, cultural identity, morality . . . . And while there are aspects of all of this, it also echoes some of Le Carre's best, early spy stories. The novel's structure consists of four independent stories, like novellas, each of which also refers to and connects in some way to the preceding stories. T...more
Irene
Some people may think it's creepy and scary to be loved (read: stalked) from afar by a Russo-German Mossad agent raised in Pre-Israel Palestine.

I think it's sweet and stirs the soul a bit. This love story reminds me of the old-timer love stories that one just doesn't see anymore. Like in "The English Patient" or "The End of the Affair" or "Romeo and Juliet". Oh wait. Those are all fiction. Hey, they all ended badly too. Shit. Maybe that kind of love just doesn't exist in this here reality of the...more
Theut
3 stelle e 1/2.
All'inizio ho pensato che, se fosse andato avanti fino alla fine con lo scambio epistolare... mi sarei impiccata! I punti di vista (e le rispettive storie) dei protagonisti invece regalano una tridimensionalità al libro che me l'ha fatto piacere.
Quello che non mi è piaciuto (anche se la situazione è tristemente quotidiana) è che dietro all'ossessione amorosa (i.e. "Ti ho cercata da quando ho memoria di me") c'è una realtà meschinamente pragmatica... Alla fine il nostro agente segr...more
Aaron Martz
A strange, hypnotic book about the obsession three men have for the same woman, and how it cripples their lives. The first three chapters are succinct and suspenseful. The fourth chapter, which makes up the last half of the book, is where I thought the book lost some ground, mired in the politics of the time. The book recovers at the end when everything and everyone is connected, but the connections are obvious and were already considered in the earlier chapters. The last paragraph, however, is...more
Claire Rosalinda
Wow. This book took me to a place of deep obsession, possession and also in it's own way, love.
I enjoyed the ride.
Sai
compelling despite a predictable trajectory to the story. something about the book didn't flow as well as it could have - perhaps it was the gap in information or too deliberate an attempt at creating the sick, sad, murky, obsessive protagonist, or perhaps just because the book is a translation from hebrew. i did appreciate that it was a short, concise work that held my interest throughout. good title.
Mariana
I'm still finding it hard to make my mind up about this one. At the beginning I was sucked in very quickly and keen to see how it developed, then I slowly lost interest. Somewhere between it was ok and I liked it would be my overall opinion.
BTW Is there any way of signalling that the description on the goodreads page for this one is for a completely different book?
Marina Sofia
I read this in one breathless go, but it is actually a book to be savoured slowly. It has so many beautiful passages and philosophical meditations on love, passion in life, music and fear of the unknown. It is a thriller, a love story, a history of Palestine, a hymn to the Levantine spirit, a noir. I like genre-benders, but this one did leave me somewhat unsatisfied.
Paula Lyle
I thought this was a spy story, but it wasn't really. Then I thought it was a love story, but it really isn't that either. Now I see it as a story of obsession. Three men are obsessed with one woman. She is kind of a blank slate that they each project themselves against. It doesn't turn out well for anybody.
Mstrbrghtsd
Great, breathtaking novel. A total must - simple, clear and yet mysterious. I recommended it to many friends and family members and tough they are different, everybody liked it very much. Read it please! :)
Ellen
reminded me of Eros another book about a guy using his influence and money to completely cunt up some poor girl's life in the name of "love"
Benjamin Zapata
Beautiful,...I was hook from page one. Should be in everyone's reading list. This novel is exquisite,magical,in the manner of Vladimir Nabokov,Graham Greene,or all those greats japanese writers!
Chrïs Noone
Loved the first section (the letters) the most. But I also enjoyed how the circular narrative amplifies the different levels of tragedy each of the characters experiences. Very powerful.
Mark
it was far better then i expected based on the first chapter. this is not just a simple story about obsessive love. i flew through this one; by the end i was just itching to finish.
Betsy
Frustrating because I could not follow what was going on and I lost interest.
Les étincelles
Mysterious, sensual, intriguing. Letters, love, loneliness. Simply, charming!
Wojciech
Best ingridient: short poetic theories about music&intimacy.
Livi
stopped reading this. didn't like it.
Linda
A man is obsessed with a woman.
Maria