Start by marking “It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy” as Want to Read:
It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy

It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  4,910 ratings  ·  491 reviews
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Everyone’s favorite Idiot Girl, Laurie Notaro, is just trying to find the right fit,
whether it’s in the adorable blouse that looks charming on the mannequin but leaves her in a literal bind or in her neighborhood after she’s shamefully exposed at a holiday party by delivering a low-quality rendition of “Jingle Bells.” Notaro makes misstep after
Published July 26th 2011 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about It Looked Different on the Model, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Looked Different on the Model

The Corruption of Michael Levitt by Joel LevineIt Looked Different on the Model by Laurie NotaroConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaEven Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom RobbinsCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
Best Books Full of Sass
2nd out of 74 books — 71 voters
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern1Q84 by Haruki MurakamiThe Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittThe Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison AllenThe American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
Best Cover Art 2011 (Non-YA)
102nd out of 273 books — 1,556 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate

I love Laurie Notaro's unique sense of humor and her non-fiction books are so much better than her fictional ones because of the goofy stuff that happens to her on a daily basis. This book is a funny fast read that helped get me through a trip to the DMV to change my address on my license (I was the only person having fun there), as well as, my daily commute this week.

The gems of this collection include:

- Fancy store shirt trapping
- Ambien Laurie (she's hilarious!)
- Getting banned from
Barb
WARNING: Do not read this book while you are in the doctor's office waiting room. You will either be laughing so hard that the receptionist will think you are having a seizure or you will be asked if everything is all right since you are crying.

The book is quite funny and trying to not laugh out loud is next to impossible. Everyone can relate to at least one chapter in the book. A great read when you are feeling overwhelmed with work, the economy, the kids, etc.
librarian90
There are few things worse than reading a review that makes a book sound amazing and laugh-out-loud funny, wait for weeks until it's actually in the system, wait all day until there's time to curl up and start reading said hilarious book, and don't laugh. Not even a slight smile. The author's sense of humor is not mine and I'm still trying to find humor in getting stuck in shirt that was clearly marked as a size too small and getting blood on it. The only word that comes to mind is "whatever". G ...more
Gail
After taking my first little nibble of David Sedaris’s work and then binging on everything he’s published, I looked for compilations of autobiographical essays by other well-reputed humorists. I can’t fathom how “It Looked Different on the Model” got great reviews from readers and critics alike. Well, maybe I can. I’m sure Laurie Notaro’s friends got a good laugh when she related these anecdotes at a dinner party. I didn’t. Instead I got the sense she’s started making poor decisions in order to ...more
Leah K
It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy by Laurie Notaro

★★★★★ + ♥

I’ve pretty much read every Laurie Notaro book, and as usual, this one did not disappoint in the least. In fact, I would say that this is one of my favorite by her. She is hilarious. If you enjoy Jen Lancaster, this is no way you can’t enjoy Notaro and vise versa.

The situations that Laurie gets herself into are too funny, I found myself laughing on several occasions while reading this book. They
Meg
Ambien shenanigans. Tweekers falling asleep on your front lawn. Getting into a fight with a size “M” shirt at a boutique store — and losing. All just moments in the life of Laurie Notaro, a humor writer transplanted from sunny Arizona to the hippie-laced suburbs of Oregon. And in her latest memoir, It Looked Different On The Model, Notaro welcomes us again into the zany world that is her no-holds-barred brain.

Notaro has been my hero for quite some time — and though I couldn’t get into her recent
Terry Southard
One of the reviews I read said that Notaro has sledgehammer humor (or something to that effect). Nothing is treated subtly. I agree. But I think the problem with reviews like this is more the way the reader *read* the book, and not so much with how the author *wrote* the book. Here's what I mean: The book is not a novel. It is a series of humorous anecdotes and rants. If you read the book all at once, the way you'd read a novel, it *does* run together and get old. But I do not believe that's the ...more
Chanda
A friend of mine recommended another book by her, but it wasn't available at the time so I thought I'd give this one a try. My husband now thinks I'm a crazy person because I was laughing out loud, almost to the point of crying, while reading this book. I love her sarcastic sense of humor - right up my alley. Each chapter is a short story so it's great to read when you only have a few minutes, like waiting at the doctor's office or picking up kids from school. I will definitely read some of her ...more
This was the first book I have read by Laurie Notaro and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! I laughed out loud at several parts- which was a bit awkward since I was at the Dentist Office waiting for my sons' teeth to be cleaned... Thoroughly enjoyed and totally got her humor! Love the picture at the end of the book - with Blu the Ox - as I have sons - I can totally see myself forcing them to do the same thing! Definitely recommended and am looking forward to reading more from this author!
Kelly
Laurie Notaro is a gift to all our feminine insecurities. She gets to the heart of the matter, slices it to pieces and exposes it with raw humor. The next time I try on clothes at the boutique, I'm not going to leave feeling defeated because I left my best body years ago. I'm going to giggle, remembering Laurie's recollection of her dressing room experience.

I convulsed with laughter six pages in. Just a word of warning, pee before reading. That's how funny she is!
Jan Polep
Well, I've finally hurt myself reading a book. I have many witty, fun friends but this Notaro wins, hands down. Some chapters are just amusing but the story about the dog-bark translator brought a stitch to my side and tears of laughter so loud and so long that Steve and Jack left the room. It was even funnier than Jack trying to share his dog toys with the chipmunk in the livingroom today...but I digress...
Ruth
I was browsing for books at Borders about two years ago. A young salesgirl asked me if she could help me find anything. I told her I was just browsing and she told me that she really enjoyed books by Laurie Notaro. I did write her down in my book where I list books to read and I must say that I found the titles of her books very interesting. Since I was making a long drive, I like to have a book on CD to help pass the time. My daughter was going with me so I needed one that would interest both o ...more
Samantha
I should start out by saying that I had never read a Laurie Notaro book before so I didn't have any grand expectations like some of the other reviews, but I can say just one thing if it's meant to be funny, it probably should be. The opening essay follows the author through the dressing room shame of not being able to fit into GASP a size medium shirt. Seriously, woman? A medium? That's where you lost me. The very first essay and I'm gone even as you're slitting yourself open and practically han ...more
MissSusie
Another fun book from Laurie Notaro! The chapter where she realizes that size M and an L are very different and her dressing room antics had tears running down my face!

And who hasn’t gotten those FWDFWDFWDFWD from your parents or in-laws with every hoax available to man and no matter how many times you tell them it’s a hoax they still send them along to you!

Ambien Laurie is freaking hilarious and makes me wonder what this drug is supposed to do because it didn’t seem to help her sleep!

I enjoy L
Ruth
This book was entertaining and fun. It wasn't quite as good as Notaro's earlier books, several of which made me laugh so hard that passengers on three planes had to wonder if an escaped mental patient was on board. I can't put my finger on exactly why "It Looked Different..." didn't live up to the hilarity of Notaro's previous books of essays, but maybe it seemed she was trying a little too hard this time. It can't be that we get less funny as we get older, can it? Still, this book is a pleasant ...more
Brian
Dear Laurie Notaro,

I've loved most of your books, except your last fiction book. I was very excited that you were putting out another collection of humorous short stories. However, I felt that some of the stories in this book were a bit lacking. There were plenty of funny ones, sure, but a couple of them were very tough to follow and didn't make a lot of sense. I would give this book lower, but it gets three stars because it did have a few stories that made me chuckle.

Your sort of fan,

Brian
Stephanie
3.5 - Some of the essays were hillarious and some were not that great. I felt like she was really stretching it on some of them and trying to hard (like the one where she lost her phone and the one about her mom sending e-mails to her). But, I will still read more of her stuff when she releases it. All, in all, this cements my view that, though her writing is funny, she can't touch David Sedaris. Worth buying but I'm glad I didn't pay full price.
Michelle H
Not my favorite Notaro humor essay collection (imo, "I Love Everybody and Other Atrocious Lies" is her funniest), but definitely worth reading. Reading it feels like a much-needed visit with an old friend. It includes several laugh-out loud moments and I finished it in one day. My favorites in this book include "She's a Pill" about Ambien Laurie and "I'm Touched" because I too am the rat offspring of a non-licking mother :)
Amy
Well, maybe I shouldn't say "read" because I didn't finish it. I keep looking for what I enjoyed in "The Idiot Girls' Action Adventure Club". Why can't I find it??? It makes me wonder if I was right about it after all. I did enjoy the first few stories in this one more than I have her last few books in total, but they weren't enough to keep me reading and I still felt a little let down. :( Bummer.
Melanie
This is the funniest book I have read in a looooong time. I can totally relate, feel for, and cringe because I've been there with these funny stories Laurie tells on herself and her family. But she does it in a way that is so funny. I would not recommend reading this in bed at night. I kept laughing out loud and disturbing my husband who was trying to sleep.
Lauri
Laurie Notaro is a very funny author. I've read most of her earlier books, and although I didn't love this one as much as some of the others, it was definitely a fun and enjoyable read. She has a humorous view of the world with a hint of bitterness/cynicism to which I can definitely relate. Plus her family is even nuttier than mine. :)
Riccol
Funny, sometimes even laugh-out loud funny. I'll be keeping an eye out for her other titles next time I want a light, humorous read.
This book had some typos / editing mistakes but I think that's likely from the transcription to e-book form rather than author/editor fault so not going to knock it for that.
Elizabeth
A quick and fun read. I was reading in bed and my tittering, snickering and eventual guffawing made my boyfriend curious. Some of the passages are fun to read aloud. He's not the target audience but I know he's a fan now too.....
Nicole
Jan 02, 2012 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nook
Reading a Laurie Notaro book is like catching up with a good friend who has seen you though some rough times and knows all your deepest secrets...And she has the best stories, too!
Beverly J.
Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard at times that i snorted. Bad bad funny, LOL....it had some seriously lacking parts but the hilarious parts far out weighed them.
Wendy
Typical Notaro mishaps and general life faux pas'. Not quite as laugh out load as her Idiot Girl stories, but entertaining.
wendy
i love laurie notaro!! i love that her books make me laugh out loud. i wish i didn't read them so quickly.
Sharon
Many laugh-out-loud moments. A few of the essays ran a little too long, but well worth the wait.
Purplemoon22
LOVE Laurie Notaro!! Always a great laugh!
Wendy
She's funny.
  • You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool
  • It's All Relative: Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine (A Memoir)
  • It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman
  • Not Tonight, Honey: Wait 'Til I'm A Size 6
  • Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner
  • The Thong Also Rises: Further Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
  • Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind
  • People Are Unappealing: Even Me
  • Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life
  • Queen of the Oddballs: And Other True Stories from a Life Unaccording to Plan
  • The Day I Wore My Panties Inside Out
  • It's Hard Not to Hate You: A Memoir
  • Where's My Wand?: One Boy's Magical Triumph over Alienation and Shag Carpeting
  • Why I'm Like This: True Stories
  • Don't Kill the Birthday Girl: Tales from an Allergic Life
Laurie Notaro is a New York Times best-selling American writer.
More about Laurie Notaro...
The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive I Love Everybody (and Other Atrocious Lies) Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of a Pretend Adulthood The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death: Reflections on Revenge, Germophobia, and Laser Hair Removal

“I could have spent my time hugging you or I could have spent my time telling you not to touch hot stoves or take candy from men. Which did you want?” 11 likes
“I have more faith in my bra than I have in my accountant.” 9 likes