Faster Than the Speed of Light

Faster Than the Speed of Light

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Frank Mackenzie didn't foresee meeting his young prodigy of a professor during a police raid on a seedy bar. Doctor Col Courtland didn't expect his brightest new graduate student to be a blue-collar widower scarred by the Battle of the Bulge. Neither of them anticipated the complications of academic careers conducted beneath the unsympathetic gaze of the F.B.I.

Life in expe...more
Published November 10th 2010 by Torquere (first published November 2010)

Allegiance by Heather DominAklesh by Samuel Jarius PettitP’tit Cadeau by Anel VizAtom Heart John Beloved by Luke HartwellPurgatory by Jeff Mann
Best Underrated M/M Books
10th out of 317 books — 146 voters
The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeBound by Deception by Ava MarchDowntime by Tamara AllenSnowball in Hell by Josh LanyonWhistling in the Dark by Tamara Allen
Best Gay Historical Romance
160th out of 402 books — 673 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaje Harper
This is a lovely, slow-burn, historical romance. The story plays out within a university physics department, in the early years after WWII. It has a very realistic feel, from the setting to the political pressures of the time, to the slang and general language. I've been a graduate student, and have relatives who include a physicist and a mathematician, and the atmosphere of the university, with its interactions and conversations, is well done. These theoretical scientists in their labs and clas...more
Maygirl7
Jul 14, 2011 Maygirl7 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone and Chris
Not your usual m/m fare, especially not the usual historical. Really, really good. It was more a 4.5 than a 4 stars.
The great:
The dialogue was great: snappy, snarky, and full of good chemistry between Frank and Courtland.I really liked the playful nature of their conversations with each other. Lots and lots of UST, perhaps a bit too much for me. I wanted them to stop being restrained for so long and get together sooner.
The good:
Compared to almost any other m/m historical this felt real. The con...more
Ashley
I always love this author's historical stories, where the dramatic tension arises from the main characters' need for complete secrecy in an era that does not accept homosexuality. I get tired of too many contemporary romances where the only drama stems from silly, contrived misunderstandings or abusive ex-boyfriends. In this one, the protags are physicists in post-WWII academia, wrestling with doctoral work, teaching obligations, ethical implications of the work of the Manhattan Project physicis...more
Ulysses Dietz
Lucius Parhelion is the kind of pseudonym a gay author would have used in 1948, the year in which "Faster than the Speed of Light" begins. I think it roughly translates into "the light of the sun," and I can't help but think the author is purposely hiding in a way that reflects the world of his characters, Frank and Collis.

Frank Mackenzie is a veteran, having survived World War II with some bad scars and a battered soul. Collis Courtland is a prodigy, guilty over his involvement with the creati...more
ns
Jul 21, 2011 ns rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
I didn't know anything about this book when I picked it up. Some pages in, when I discovered that it was about a brilliant graduate physics student and a young prodigy of a physics professor (swoooon!), included references to real life events in the history of physics and science (oh my god, oh my god), and wasn't scared to talk about *physics* and do all of this in a wry, sophisticated and compellingly stylish way (pass out in excitement), it had a considerable effect on me.

I am now madly, deep...more
Sue Brown
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
4.5 stars.

This was a very good and surprising read and my first from this author.

We are in 1948. Frank is a war veteran and he's attending Clarence Tenn Polytechnic to get his physics degree. Before the war he learned physics by himself and even if he's not a genius, he's very bright and talented. The scar left on his face by a grenade gives him some insecurity, but also a rough look that complements his very relaxed attitude.

One night he is arrested in a gay bar and he ends up sharing the cell...more
M
This book, which tells the story of two physicists in post-WWII America, was difficult to parse for a number of reasons:
1) A lot of it is about physics and a lot of jargon is employed, since I only tangentially understood most of what was discussed, I felt a bit adrift.
2) It's set in a time-period that I know very little about; the fews years wedged between WWII and the paranoia of the McCarthy era, so again, I barely understood a lot of the vernacular and terminology used.
3) And this reason is...more
Elizabeth H.
I was so excited to see a book about physicists that I jumped at the chance to read it. But ultimately this novel was a disappointment to me. I didn't really see any sexual tension between the two MCs, just a lot of delay. The technical part of the story was good and well-presented; I happen to know somebody in the field plus I take more than a passing interest in the subject matter. But the romance part and the overall characterization was lacking. Plus I found some of the dialogue, especially,...more
Holly
I *really* liked this book a lot but it definitely will not be everyone's cup of tea.

Set in the immediately after WWII this book explores living as both a gay man and a cutting edge scientist in the era of the Cold War, McCarthyism, the arms race and every moment under the eye of J Edgar Hoover's FBI.

The two main characters are wonderful. I really loved Frank, a scarred WW2 vet who has discovered his true talent - physics.

How can you not love theoretical physics as foreplay.

This book is seriousl...more
Val Kovalin
just for fun - 6 word plot: Physicists watched by FBI find love. Outstanding M/M historical set during the Red Scare years of 1947 to 1949 in the academic, scientific community in Los Angeles. Complex, appealing characters and fascinating time period. I had no problems with this book. Just so you know, the sex scenes are almost nonexistent, but there is one brief encounter toward the end, and there is definitely sexual tension from beginning to end.
Millari
This was a totally fun read. I was hooked on the couple and the slow buildup of their romance mixed in deftly with the very accurate-sounding historical details. It made me feel like I was getting a real window into what it was like to be gay at the time, and especially what it was like to run in academic, scientific circles. The restraint Frank and Courtland must show in approaching each other as romantic potential is fascinating to me as a modern reader, in the way they manage the budding roma...more
ARe Cafe
Faster Than The Speed Of Light by Lucius Parhelion is a beautifully written novel that in any other month would have been my choice for Top Pick. It should delight fans of the friends-to-lovers theme, those who enjoy a slow build-up to a romantic relationship, those who love historical romances, those who love science, and those who find a de-emphasis on explicit sex to be a refreshing change in the romance genre.

There is much to praise in Faster Than The Speed Of Light (the title refers to the...more
Plainbrownwrapper
This was close to being a really good book. It had a realistic feel to it, it had good historical detail, it had appealing characters, it had intelligent dialog. BUT -- but but -- the plot didn't really go anywhere. Nothing really got resolved, there was no big crisis survived, no big drama to overcome. It was more a slice of life -- yes, folks, this is what gay guys had to live through during that time in our history. The End. I was disappointed by the lack of a real dramatic arc, as you can te...more
Lee
Mar 16, 2011 Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History-buffs, physicists, and lovers of the written word.
Phew! Faster Than the Speed of Light is definitely NOT a quick and simple read. And I say that in a most positive and appreciative way. The author asks that the reader engage their brain and become an active participant in the story. Yes, it's a little work, but the rewards are well worth the effort. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Faster Than the Speed of Light in every respect, except one, I could of used a couple of more pages after Frank and Col got together. I wanted more.

I give Faster Than t

Jamie
Jan 13, 2014 Jamie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jamie by: Peggy

Very well written story with a relationship that develops very realistically between Frank Mackenzie, the WW2 vet taking advantage of the GI Bill and the brilliant boy genius physician Doctor Courtland. The historical setting is very well done. The setting of the academic community during such a turbulent time for scientists adds to the drama of a relationship that still had to be kept very secret. The dialogue is terrific and the secondary characters are real. This isn't a book with a...more
Li
This is a lovely and quiet sort of romance and captured the feel of the 1940s very well. A lot of the American history and physics talk just went over my head - if not, I think I would have liked this book a bit more. And unfortunately, historical m/m romances always leave me with slight doubts over the HEA just because of the period.
Antonella
ETA January 2013: Once more I've read a book (back in August 2011), I found it excellent and I just left 5 stars here.

Luckily I see now the wonderful review by ns, so I can refer to it ;-).
Kiki
2.5 Excellent (and mostly interesting) sense of time and place, but not enough time spend on the personal -- characters, emotions, the development of the relationship -- for me.
Aramis
A cute and sweet gay romance with a bit of Nick and Norah dialog. I don't think romance will ever by my thing, but this is about as close as it is likely to come.
Idamus
This need to be a series, just saying
Gwendolyn
I liked this so much. The ending felt kind of abrupt but that was the only issue.
Alicja
Alicja added it
Jul 17, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Lemonhed67
Lemonhed67 marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Sanna
Sanna marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Nasser Alenezi
Nasser Alenezi marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Faster than the Speed of Light, Lucius Parhelion 2 12 Sep 21, 2013 02:51PM
  • Bonds of Earth
  • Secret Light
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • The Only Gold
  • The Celestial
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea
  • Hidden Away
  • Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)
  • Kindred Hearts
  • Whistle Pass
  • According To Hoyle
  • The Door Behind Us
  • Snowball in Hell (Doyle and Spain, #1)
  • On the Trail to Moonlight Gulch
  • End of the Trail (End Of The Trail #1)
  • Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
Lucius Parhelion writes both free and published works. His free original work is found here:
and his fan fiction is on Archive of Our Own here:

He is also listed on Goodreads as Parhelion:

This author is very private - he does not use social media or include an "about the author" bl...more
More about Lucius Parhelion...
Dry Bones Peridot Lavender: A Faint Wash Of Lavender A Fine Cure from Fennel Seed Acquisitions and Mergers: The Four of Wands