Start by marking “More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)” as Want to Read:
More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)

More Tales of the City (Tales of the City #2)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,826 Ratings  ·  411 Reviews
"An extended love letter to a magical San Francisco."
New York Times Book Review

The internationally beloved classic comes to life in a Showtime miniseries.

Few works of fiction have blazed a trail through popular culture like Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series. Since its publication as a daily newspaper serial in 1976, Maupin's incisive comedy of manners has expa

Published October 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about More Tales of the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Tales of the City

Ivonne Rovira
Feb 23, 2014 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t realize how much I had missed Mrs. Madrigal, Mary Ann Singleton, Mona Ramsey, and Michael “Mouse” Tolliver until I began More Tales of the City, Armistead Maupin’s sequel to his spectacular Tales of the City. (Other books had gotten in the way.)

In the sequel, Mary Ann finally meets the man of her dreams — although he has nightmares of his own. Mouse, too, finds love while he narrowly escapes death. And through a serendipitous encounter in the Nevada desert, Mona finds out more about Mrs
Miss Michael
Sep 02, 2008 Miss Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read about 250 pages this afternoon after a got off work, bringing me to the end of the book. If that's not a testimonial, I don't know what is.

Maupin is intensely readable. If you read from the Tales of the City series, his characters will become your friends. And, like me, you'll be glad he's written several books featuring them. I can't wait to read the next.

With the first one, I felt intrigue took a back seat to plain old human interest. With this one, the mystery we were left with at the
Mark
Mar 26, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cracking follow-up to the first Tales of the City book. Preposterous as ever, but just as addictive. Maupin manages to tread a fine line between sentimentality and humour. What comes across is the fact that these characters love each other and the reader loves them in turn, becoming a vicarious member of the Barbary Lane family.
What really affected me when I first read these books, as a recently "out" Gay man, was the depiction and template they gave for Gay/Straight relationships. In the book
Kylan
Feb 08, 2016 Kylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something so remarkable about the way Armistead Maupin writes. It's so gossipy and intimate and I can't help but want to know more about everyone on Barbary Lane. I said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like I've been given an invite to the biggest gossip session in town, and I've been thrilled with every minute of it.

So great to read more about Mrs Madrigal, Michael, Mona, Brian and yes...Mary-Ann. Oh Mary-Ann, will you ever lose those ol' Connecticut ways?

I can't fault this se
Fabian
Aug 08, 2016 Fabian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maupin is one of the best summer read writers. His Tales of the City trilogy is part sitcom, part kitsch, melodramatic and historic, irreverent and yet o-so dated, and damn if you cannot recognize his influence in groundbreaking TV, like "Sex and the City" and "Will and Grace". Things are explained, expanded, and the 4 or so separate strands of character destinies intertwine and repel each other at intervals that make the reader anticipate each and every episode. The ridiculousness will tickle y ...more
Roberta
Jun 19, 2015 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, americana
Questo romanzo fa parte di una serie degli anni Settanta (originariamente pubblicata a puntate, almeno per quanto riguarda i primi libri) scritta da Armistead Maupin. Si tratta di libri ambientati nella San Francisco dello stesso periodo, in cui l'azione ruota intorno agli abitanti del condominio al 28 di Barbary Lane, la cui proprietaria è l'eccentrica Mrs. Madrigal (coltivatrice di marijuana che tratta i suoi affittuari più come figli, e se pensate che questo sia eccentrico, aspettate di legge ...more
Andres
Sep 15, 2015 Andres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Even though it's been more than a month since I finished the first book in the series I didn't have any problem diving back into the lives of the residents at 28 Barbary Lane. Picking up not long after the end of the previous volume, the story swings into action with gentle reminders of what happened before while moving ahead swiftly into the comic doings of most everyone from before and introducing some new folks.

The dark turn of events from before is dealt with in a completely believable manne
Armin Hennig
Zweiter Teil des mit leichter Hand und mit viel Mut zur Lücke zusammengetackerten Zyklus über swinging San Francisco in dem grenzenlose Promiskuität und political Correctness den Ton angeben.
Beim endgültigen Zuklappen des Buches lag das Patchwork bei gefühlten drei Sternen, doch der vollkommen unangemessene Vergleich mit Balzac auf der Rückseite weckt bei mir heftige Einsternreflexe. Andererseits lese ich den Zyklus ja auch, um die Untergrenzen beim mehrsträngigen Erzählen auszuloten und staune
Sara
May 11, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I wound up, surprisingly given that I got off to a slow start with it, even more than the last one. I liked how Maupin ties together all the various plot lines and loose ends. This was also a lovely book to finish on Mother's Day as it talks a lot about the relationships between parents and children and what makes a family. Michael's coming out letter to his Mom and Dad was particularly touching.

Laurie –A Court of Books–
When my friend gave me this book, we had no idea that it was actually the second one of a series. It took me some chapter to get to understand fully each character but I found every one of them so touching. Mouse was my favorite, so funny and honest and a truly good friend to Mary Ann.

The plot was also very catchy and interesting, I really enjoyed this book. And the end... BREATH TAKING
David Schwan
Jan 24, 2015 David Schwan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More madcap adventures from the gang at 28 Barbary Lane. The first third of the book starts out a bit slowly but redeems itself after that. Many interesting revelations and plot twists and a few unanswered story lines.
Cassie
May 31, 2012 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: San Francisco Residents, Soap Opera Loves, Readers
Recommended to Cassie by: San Francisco Chronicle
More Tales of the City
by Armistead Maupin

This book continues the characters that are introduced in Tales of the City, which is the first of this particular series. One of the things that makes this particular book interesting is that each chapter is relatively short, so it is quickly read and makes it easy for a reader to find a stopping point when they need to put it down for awhile. The reason for this ease isn't because Maupin wrote them this way as a book, but because the chapters are origi
Trudie
Nov 01, 2011 Trudie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Maupin must have wanted to write a mystery and decided to put it inside the context of the sequel to Tales of the City. I like the idea of going from genre to genre using the same characters and setting.
His books make me nostalgic for the 70's and remind me of the three trips I took to SF during that time. My youngest daughter lives there now. A big piece of my heart is in San Francisco and she's not wearing flowers in her hair. If I were funny, I'd like to funny like Michael Tolliver. I think
Greg Z
Oct 21, 2015 Greg Z rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Refreshingly free of any literary aspirations, these short stories are perfect for bedtime, perfect for a quick break during a hectic day, or perfect for an entire afternoon. As the 1970's Disco Decade closes and Maupin takes us into the 80s, days darken in Frisco. Still, memory lane beckons us on.
Alex
Jul 22, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As entertaining, warm, and jovial of a read as the first. The chapters breeze by like the wind at Ocean Beach. The characters are a delight and their adventures illustrate vividly what San Francisco life was like in various social circles in the late 1970s.
Natanoj
Very entertaining! You'll have finished this book before you know it. At first, it all seems a bit over the top, too absurd. But you fall in love with the characters before you know it!
_inbetween_
Disliked first quarter, since it excluded me like many (gay or het) books; then Maupin inserted some moping out of the blue (p. 77 and 119 has Michael long for someone and state the truth that only those not caring about it are never alone) and I remembered that I had liked the end of the first book - he seems to do that in each one, throw in some extreme crime/thriller thing. Doesn't make the writing better, or a novel out of the short fragments. Wish I had less other books to read, incl. five ...more
Tiphaine Laisnez
Un coup de <3 encore une fois pour ce deuxième tome ! Vivement la suite !
Allie Riley
Mar 25, 2014 Allie Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly more macabre than the first one in places but still utterly fabulous. I *need* to read the rest of this wonderful series.
Thalia Soul
Second book in a series that I used to like 7 years ago...I thought picking it up again would not only mean having a few books at hand that I can read quickly next to my rather stressful studying at the moment but also going back to my younger self and indulging in nostalgia. Oh how wrong I was...the books are indeed quick reads, luckily, because I am not exactly sure anymore what made me love them so much back in the days. Probably that they are set in San Francisco, a place my younger self use ...more
Charles Eliot
Jul 02, 2014 Charles Eliot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book two of my sprint through the original six Tales of the City books, leading up to reading the three newest ones.

Human memory works in two basic modes - pattern matching and highlights. Events can stand out in the memory because they are unique and exceptional, or they can be matched with similar remembered events. Everything else falls into the noise of volatile general memory and is gradually lost.

It's been twenty years since the last time I read this book. Most of the book had disappeared
Sean Kennedy
Nov 13, 2010 Sean Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second set of adventures with the residents of Barbary Lane in San Francisco. This is the last 'fun' book before things start to become definitely more weirder and the eighties start to bring in the more tragic plot elements. Although I love the series, Maupin isn't particularly successful at explaining his own continuity - and by that I mean why certain things happen 'between' books, and you're left feeling that that strains credulity more than the bizarre plot twists.
Tamsen
Mar 24, 2014 Tamsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is much better than the first!

Michael is still amazing, and Brian suddenly became likable (although I'm not sure why or how). I liked some of the new friendships (DeDe/D'or, Brian/Mona, Michael/Mary Ann ---- although if I was Mona I would be SO pissed that Mary Ann stole my BFF). Mrs. Madrigal is as meddlesome as ever (view spoiler) but Mary Ann got a little less doe-eyed which was enjoyable for all. And yay Jon!

The best p
Steven
Jul 01, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not completely entranced by "Tales of the City" (1978), the first book in Armistead Maupin's multi-volume series about gay life in San Francisco beginning in the 1970s. It took a while for the author to find his footing, and the first 200 pages or so weren't very funny or clever. However, "More Tales of the City" (1980) is a completely different story: a tightly plotted, rollicking narrative with vivid characterizations and terrific wit. It moves toward its surprising--if somewhat improbab ...more
Stacey
Mar 11, 2015 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't imagine the uproar that must have accompanied the initial publication of these books. Casual sex, casual drug use and (gasp!), homosexuality. Frequently, as I was reading I wondered if I would have been able to easily procure a copy in my fairly conservative corner of the world. I'm so glad I've started reading this series (although I am, once again, really late to the party!)

There is a bit of a soap opera feeling to the story. Tons of characters, lots of action (of the everyday variety
Tad
Mar 26, 2016 Tad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I think I have found my new addiction! Seriously, these books are basically a soap opera in book form. I mean, a character with amnesia? A cannibalistic cult? Does it get any more soap operaish than that?! No, it really doesn't. But the characters here are all so great and relatable. I'm pretty much in love with Michael Tolliver! He's such a great character and I love his relationship with Jon and with Mary Ann. We learn more about Mrs. madrigal here and her story is powerful and touching (a ...more
Alex
Dec 18, 2009 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readable? yes. Enjoyable? yes. But you sort of feel empty after reading this, in much the same way soap operas are diverting. Maupin tries to combine many disparate elements to form this sort of stew of crazy events that are only held together by his incredible sense of character. Loved the people, hated the plot: does this make sense?
Bill
Feb 12, 2014 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was in college, I had a professor who assigned us "Moby Dick", but suggested we only read specific parts of the book by page number. Those sections, he assured us, would give us the chance to focus on the characters and the narrative and skip some of the less essential parts. I wish someone had given me a similar guide to "More Tales of the City", as there's entire parts of it -- including the bizarrely rushed ending -- that I wish I could have skipped.

As in the first "Tales of the City",
Earl
Nov 16, 2015 Earl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Chock-full of surprises and scandalous secrets, this kept me up all night! Seriously, "just one more chapter" is impossible once you know the characters. And, probably even if you didn't, the sometimes outlandish situations they get themselves into will keep you turning pages!
J.C.
Apr 29, 2014 J.C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's more of the same (hence the More in the title), which of course isn't a bad thing. Considering the novel's origins as a newspaper serial, the title here should be, to be more specific, "Continuation of Tales Of The City", as it is the next batch of Newspaper serials that the previous novel came from.

I think i got a better hang of the format this time around. I don't know why i was brainfarting with the first one, the short blips were just too much for me on top of all the other reading i h
Goodreads Librari...: page count for 0060924799 2 14 Mar 04, 2016 01:58AM
Armistead Maupin ...: More Tales of the City 1 1 Oct 27, 2014 06:09PM
  • The Lord Won't Mind (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
  • Blue Heaven
  • I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
  • The Front Runner (Harlan's Story, #1)
  • The Beauty of Men
  • The Best Little Boy in the World
  • The Men from the Boys
  • Changing Tides
  • Conduct Unbecoming: Gays and Lesbians in the Us Military
Armistead Maupin was born in Washington, D.C., in 1944 but grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. A graduate of the University of North Carolina, he served as a naval officer in the Mediterranean and with the River Patrol Force in Vietnam.

Maupin worked as a reporter for a newspaper in Charleston, South Carolina, before being assigned to the San Francisco bureau of the Associated Press in 1971. In 19
More about Armistead Maupin...

Tales of the City (9 books)
  • Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #1)
  • Further Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #3)
  • Babycakes (Tales of the City, #4)
  • Significant Others
  • Sure of You (Tales of the City, #6)
  • Michael Tolliver Lives (Tales of the City, #7)
  • Mary Ann in Autumn (Tales of the City, #8)
  • The Days of Anna Madrigal (Tales of the City, #9)

“Laugh all you want and cry all you want and whistle at pretty men in the street and to hell with anybody who thinks you're a damned fool!” 2183 likes
“Oh, Mona, we're all damned fools! Some of us just have more fun with it than others. Loosen up, dear! Don't be so afraid to cry . . . or laugh, for that matter. Laugh all you want and cry all you want and whistle at pretty men in the street and to hell with anybody who thinks you're a damned fool!” 27 likes